Freedom Writers

Posted by: Dotsie

Freedom Writers - 05/04/07 01:41 PM

Has anyone seen this yet? We watched it last night and it was fantastic. It's definitely one you must see. I won't say much, but once someone's seen it, we can discuss it.
Posted by: Saundra

Re: Freedom Writers - 05/04/07 07:21 PM

I already ordered it from the library. Can't wait to see it.

Re: Freedom Writers - 05/06/07 12:06 PM

Oh good. Let me know what you think.
Posted by: Saundra

Re: Freedom Writers - 05/14/07 12:30 AM

Dotsie, I saw the movie tonight and will watch it again tomorrow night if I have time. It blew me away, reminded me of who I am, and who others are or might be!

It's a lesson in humanity based on a book about a true story titled The Freedom Writers Diary. I give it a 10!
Posted by: lrich

Re: Freedom Writers - 05/14/07 04:09 PM

I watched the movie last week.....EXCELLENT! Definately a lesson in humanity, reality, oppression, compassion and loads of other emotions we deal with personally and generally in life. I was very impressed and moved by this movie. If we could mold the world with the concept of this movie, we would be stepping in the right direction to resolve so many violent issues we are continuously living with in today's world. It's a must see for everyone....great to spread this movie around. Real eye-opener.

Re: Freedom Writers - 05/14/07 07:15 PM

I couldn't agree more. I wish we had teachers like her in Baltmimore City.

I want to remember to tell Anno to watch it because she works with high school kids. Maybe she could do a movie night with her teachers and plant some seeds for change.
Posted by: Anno

Re: Freedom Writers - 05/14/07 09:31 PM

I have seen it. A theater here offered to let all teachers see it for free when it first came out. We all loved it.

A client of mine, also a teacher, showed it to his classroom. They had great discussions after the movie.

I think the idea of a movie night with teachers sounds great. You have planted an idea in my head for how to start the year off in the fall. This could be fun and inspiring.

Re: Freedom Writers - 05/17/07 01:54 PM

Oh good Anno. I think that would be a great idea.

Anno, what ages were the kids who watched it together? I think it would be a great idea for middle school kids. Often, movies like this can do more for a kid than a whole semester of a basic subject.
Posted by: Casey

Re: Freedom Writers - 05/17/07 04:47 PM

I loved this movie! And the lack of tests. It's amazing what significant change can happen without testing people to death. :-)))
Posted by: Anno

Re: Freedom Writers - 05/18/07 12:03 AM

I agree Dotsie and Casey.

Middle schoolers were the group and I agree that a movie like this could make a tremendous difference for kids of that age.

Casey, our school district just added one more normed test to the schedule for next year. Some grades have 6 major tests (lasting between 2 and 6 days) plus all of the testing that each school could add. Testing is the number one reason I left the classroom years ago.