If I am bored, put a book about_______in my hands!

Posted by: dancer9

If I am bored, put a book about_______in my hands! - 11/29/07 03:29 AM

For me, it's European History. Put a book about Eurpean History, any time period, and I'm a happy camper.
How about you? What never fails to make you curl up and read?
dancer9
Posted by: Eagle Heart

Re: If I am bored, put a book about_______in my hands! - 11/29/07 03:52 AM

Harry Potter.

I can't figure it out myself...all I know is that I was an avid reader all of my life, then couldn't read even a magazine article for several years, then discovered Harry Potter. The writing was captivating and got me excited about reading again.

Even though I've read all seven books several times over, if you put one in my hands, it still draws me in and holds me as if it's my first time.
Posted by: ladyjane

Re: If I am bored, put a book about_______in my hands! - 11/29/07 01:49 PM

a good fiction. So weird to say that because prior to 2006 I was strictly a non-fiction reader....I didn't want to spend any time on anything that wasn't real. Now I've learned to read for enjoyment and some escape.
Posted by: Dianne

Re: If I am bored, put a book about_______in my hands! - 11/29/07 04:11 PM

I'm reading The Pillars of the Earth right now and it's fascinating. It's about the 1800's, royalty, earls, monks and a little sex thrown in.

I recently read Escape, which is about polygamy and I couldn't put it down.

But, back on topic...I love true crime for some strange reason.
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: If I am bored, put a book about_______in my hands! - 11/29/07 05:33 PM

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....HUMOR ANYONE?

Okay, okay, I love mysteries...true, fiction, doesn't matter. Give me a mystery and I'm happy. Or.........................................make me laugh.

Oh...and I LOVE history. Biographies, too.

If you want to punish me, give me something that is Sci-fi...ewwww....
Posted by: dancer9

Re: If I am bored, put a book about_______in my hands! - 11/29/07 08:08 PM

ditto with the sci fi, Jaw jaw!
dancer9
Posted by: gims

Re: If I am bored, put a book about_______in my hands! - 11/29/07 08:18 PM

Any book with a good title or cover art. I don't even have to read, I can sit and imagine what's inside. A book has soul(s), to me, not only from the characters, but from the writer, editor, publisher, and all who have read the book.
Posted by: Edelweiss

Re: If I am bored, put a book about_______in my hands! - 11/29/07 08:20 PM

Book? What's that? I'm glad I get through the posts here.
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: If I am bored, put a book about_______in my ha - 11/30/07 07:18 AM

Hate to spoil the party, but sci-fi is my favorite -- envisioning new worlds and societies, utopias and dystopias. The scope of The Foundation series, for example, is absolutely incredible -- physical, political, social, etc. -- which transports me to an entirely new existence.

Least favorite? Romance. The three-headed space aliens are more believable.

Re: If I am bored, put a book about_______in my ha - 11/30/07 03:37 PM

Meredith, I don't even know what dystopias are or is! LOL!

Re: If I am bored, put a book about_______in my ha - 11/30/07 05:26 PM

Vegetable? Mineral? Could it beeeeee the opposite of utopias? Is it a tree? A building? Can it leap tall buildings? I'm with Lady Di, I give up....
Posted by: Mij

Re: If I am bored, put a book about_______in my ha - 12/02/07 03:58 AM

grin
Posted by: Princess Lenora

Re: If I am bored, put a book about_______in my ha - 12/02/07 06:45 AM

I read non-fiction, including self-help, how-to, but mainly memoirs. 2 of the memoirs of our boomer sisters that I read was Dianne's "Whose Face Is In The Mirror" and Sharon's "Eagle Born to Fly." I read books on sociology and psychology. I read really heavy stuff about our society, like, "Transforming a Rape Culture." I like any biography of overcoming adversity. I read fiction if it has a basic theme that is in my field of interest, such as "Black and Blue" by Anna Quindlan about a woman surviving domestic violence. Or Pat Conroy who wrote "The Prince of Tides" etc. I don't read fun books because I have no sense of humor. I don't read fantasy because I find it too fantastical to envision. Right now I'm reading "Meet the Beatles: A cultural history of the band that shook youth, gender, and the world." This is a great analysis of our generation. I am reading "First Things First" by Stephen Covey. I like reading anything about our soul, such as by Thomas Moore or Gary Zukav. Oh, and lately I've been discovering the need for taking charge of my finances for my future, and to care for my mother, so I am reading all of Suze Ormann. I read a lot of books to review for authors of books themed alike to mine. The most recent I was asked to review is "Rewrite the Script" which is a memoir. As a child, I read anything with nature and animals, and loved to examine the books on breeds of horses and dogs. The two books that changed my life were "The Artist's Way" by Julia Cameron and "The Courage to Heal" by Ellen Bass. Books books books. In love with books. That was a good question. P.S. Yes, I am still around!

Re: If I am bored, put a book about_______in my ha - 12/02/07 06:44 PM

PL, have you read Loving What Is?
Posted by: orchid

Re: If I am bored, put a book about_______in my ha - 12/03/07 01:33 AM

At this time in my life: Well-written ravelogues that do include some research/consideration about the local history, people and events. I do specialize in buying/collecting on travelogues written by women or those who have done mega-trips on bike. Have about 15-20 such books in my packed, growing collection.

Miji have you read the biography of the Tibetan (or Nepali?) mountainclimber, who accompanied New Zealander Sir Edmund Hilary to Mt. Everest. We're kinda forgetting the Sherpas must have incredible lungs, mental and physical strength to be at such altitudes....and no world-wide recognition for them....

Occasionally I read mountain-climbing travelogues, but don't gravitate to books that exclude local interaction by the visiting author with local people, etc. Nor do I watch those survivor tv shows where endurance athletes do incredible things in foreign countries. It feels arrogant..to me...to put these people from North AMerica at the centre of the story often in Third World country, instead of incredible stories with local people and their local culture/complex hsitory. Enough attention on us North Americans....for Pete's sake...! (But I do enjoy tv shows that feature a North American host in foreign country, showing historic places, explaining and interactig with locals.) Sorry for the rant. Life is short, gotta prioritize my reading from thousands of available books.

Over the past few decades, I do enjoy reading books on social issues. Enjoy various biographies, usually individuals who have undergone adversity in life/have changed lives for others.

Sci-fi at this time hasn't moved me so far. Though I understand there is a broader/more diverse definition sci-fi worlds. And fantasy novels was something I gave up after Tolkein and C.S. Lewis in my teens.

I did go through a period of reading detective/mystery fiction. With a focus on female mystery writers: ie. Amanda Cross, Sara Paretsky.

I regret at this time I don't seem to have the patience or feel intellectually tired to read some of the incredible award winning novels/ literature. But one day... Occasionally I will read some novels written by upcoming dynamic novelists who were born/raised outside of North America. Whole worlds I feel I missed/grazed by when I did my English literature degree long ago.

Re: If I am bored, put a book about_______in my ha - 12/03/07 04:35 PM

Gimster, I've read that book and bought five copies for friends and my sister. It's really amazing, isn't it?

Princess Lenora, I don't believe that you don't have a sense of humor! Not for one minute...

Re: If I am bored, put a book about_______in my ha - 12/04/07 01:54 AM

It's been awhile since I read it myself, but I remember the feelings I had when reading it. I passed my copy on to one of my sisters.
Posted by: Princess Lenora

Re: If I am bored, put a book about_______in my ha - 12/05/07 12:34 AM

Well, maybe I'll let my sense of humor escape once in while, when I am no longer in the mood to be miserable. Gimster, I will put that book on my list. Right now. Thanks!

Re: If I am bored, put a book about_______in my ha - 12/05/07 06:27 AM

Jawjaw, you win the three-headed alien earwarmer prize for getting the definition.

Dystopia is the opposite of utopia. It's about worlds gone terribly and sometimes creepily wrong, quite often because of corrupt politic regimes (Anne, are you taking notes?) Well-known books about dystopian societies includes George Orwell's 1984 and A Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood.

Re: If I am bored, put a book about_______in my ha - 12/05/07 07:08 AM

Wow! Way cool! I won! I won! And its a...its a...huh? Three-headed? Ah...Alien? Ahhh...I--ah...I won...(insert heavy sigh), I won...

Re: If I am bored, put a book about_______in my ha - 12/05/07 07:44 AM

It will keep your ears warm -- all of them -- if it ever gets cold in Alabama. Comes in your choice of colors, too.

Re: If I am bored, put a book about_______in my ha - 12/05/07 11:01 PM

Anne, I don't even celebrate Christmas but I'd celebrate that

Re: If I am bored, put a book about_______in my ha - 02/07/08 08:28 PM

Suggested reading:
Stumbling on Happiness ---> picked it up during my library visit yesterday... have only read the first chapter, but I think it's gonna be a good one.
http://www.amazon.com/Stumbling-Happines...5739&sr=1-1

I'm with you meredithbead... romance is my least favorite. I purchase a great many books from thrift stores, where I can get a $25 book for $.50-$2.00. I was browsing through the books in one of the thrifties one day, and the lady next to me raked two shelves of a romance series into her cart. I was happy for her find, but thought to myself, "whatever." I shouldn't feel that way, because some people need that primal-based escape. But, once you've read one couple doing it, you've read every couple doing it. "And when he saw her sitting with her silk gown exposing the supple most parts of her body, he found his manhood...and she did too." putting it nicely.

Re: If I am bored, put a book about_______in my ha - 02/07/08 11:45 PM

yeah, that would be a good plot summary.

Our library always has hardcovers for .50 and paperbacks 3/$1. And sometimes they go on sale.

I bought a hardcover about 6 months ago, and Hub said, "You already read that one and didn't like it much. Donate it back!" At least someone here remembers!