NaNoWriMo

Posted by: yonuh

NaNoWriMo - 09/01/11 02:52 AM

I'm posting this here because one of the suggestions was to tell everyone I know that I've signed up for NaNoWriMo. This way I won't chicken out and quit half way through. I've never done this before but I'm figuring it's a good way to make myself sit down and write!
Posted by: jabber

Re: NaNoWriMo - 09/01/11 02:04 PM

yonuh,
Had 2 C what that's about. I'm already working on a novel, so there's no point in beginning. But I wish you lots of luck in whatever U undertake!!!
Posted by: Sandy N.

Re: NaNoWriMo - 09/14/11 04:14 AM

Yonuh: I participated in NaNoWriMo in 2009 and ended up with a novel (not the one that's on Amazon). Now I'm trying to edit it to get it ready for publication. It's a mess! The good thing about NaNoWriMo is that you get words on paper and make a start. The bad thing is that the words aren't necessarily good. But as someone once said, you can't edit a blank page, and sometimes a few gems appear to surprise you. Now I'm deciding if I want to do it again this November since I have an idea for another book.
Do you have a germ of an idea?

Re: NaNoWriMo - 09/14/11 02:44 PM

I have several ideas, Sandy, and that's the problem. I usually have so many ideas that I tend to dither about which one to use and end up doing nothing. So signing up for NaNoWriMo (and telling everybody I know! lol) is a way to get me off my butt, so to speak, and actually write something. Even if a lot of it is garbage at first, usually once I get in the rhythm of writing it just flows. I describe it as being a conduit for the story as it just flows through my fingers as if someone else is dictating it and I'm just putting the words on paper! Weird feeling!!

Re: NaNoWriMo - 09/14/11 08:59 PM

It's great when that conduit works, isn't it? I'm in the process of adding alliteration, similes, description, the senses, etc., as well as more humor (and anything else I can think of!) Time-consuming but fun too.
I'll check out your blog.
Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

Re: NaNoWriMo - 09/14/11 10:30 PM

"Attagirls" to both of you. Can't wait to read the results!

Re: NaNoWriMo - 11/08/11 12:49 AM

Yonuh, did you sign up for NaNoWriMo? I did, but I'm sorry to say that I'm already behind on my word count!

Re: NaNoWriMo - 11/08/11 12:59 AM

Yes, I did. The first couple of days were awful - wrote absolutely nothing! But as of right now my word count is over 12,000. Don't know if I can sustain it though as I have all these ideas for stories now. I have more ideas than Carter's has pills! lol

Re: NaNoWriMo - 11/08/11 01:18 AM

Yonuh: You're doing great! I'm at 10,790 so I'm not terribly far behind. Like you, I have lots of ideas for stories, but right now I need to figure out more trouble for my characters in my NaNoWriMo story. Maybe I'll dream about it tonight.

Re: NaNoWriMo - 11/10/11 03:01 PM

Good luck to both you ladies, Yonuh and Sandy. IMHO writing is an excellent release. I view it as more of a hobby than anything.
Kudos!!!

Re: NaNoWriMo - 11/18/11 06:55 AM

Yonuh, how's NaNoWriMo coming along? I'm still behind where I should be, but at least I'm still writing!

Re: NaNoWriMo - 11/18/11 06:19 PM

I'm still ahead of the count, Phew! Last weekend was iffy as my characters were all MIA. Had to threaten to kill them off and find some who would show up when they're supposed to - that fixed 'em! LOL Then I sort of ran out of steam, so I took a very minor character, only mentioned in letters between 2 other characters, and expanded her role in the story - it worked! Only problem now is one of the main male characters isn't cooperating with what I envisioned for him, so I'll have to rethink that one. He's just not going where I wanted him to go. So I'll have to play along and see what happens.

I have to admit, I wasn't sure I could do this as I have only ever written short stories, and I'm not 'wordy' at all. This has been an eye opener; I've surprised myself in how much blather I can write. Editing ought to be fun!!

Re: NaNoWriMo - 11/21/11 04:53 AM

"Blather" -- I love that word! My critique group and I are about halfway through editing my NaNo novel from 2009. Assuming I finish the current NaNo book, who knows when it will be ready to go?

Like you, my characters aren't cooperating, which tells me I need to keep on writing until they reveal what they want to do. Right now they are so boring I can hardly stand them. I like your idea of threatening to kill or perhaps maim them, though that's hard to do in a romance.

Hang in there. It sounds like you're doing great!
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: NaNoWriMo - 11/21/11 08:51 AM

Here in Scotland a chat is called a blether...A good blether covers many topics...not gossip just a catching up and putting the world to rights.

Maeve Bincey an author I appreciate writes as we Scots speak..she weaves connections and even catches up with characters within some of her books...In Ireland where Maeve lives a blether is "the crack" so I understand what you are striving for with you book...get these people blethering ...you can and will

Re: NaNoWriMo - 11/23/11 05:51 AM

I LOVE Maeve Binchy and have most of her books. Her characters feel like old friends to me.

Re: NaNoWriMo - 11/26/11 10:14 PM

I officially validated my novel today at (drum roll please!) 50,126 words. Which means I am an official NaNoWriMo Winner! I honestly didn't think I could reach 50,000 words. But I did it, and I'm so proud of myself!!

I still have a lot more to write - I thought getting to 50,000 would be a stretch but it seems it's just the beginning. Then comes the fun part - editing and trying to make sense of what I wrote. I have a ton more research to do as I think I probably got some facts wrong and I know my timeline is messed up. So, back to work. :-)

Re: NaNoWriMo - 11/26/11 11:54 PM

Congratulations, yonuh! This is so cool. I'm pround of you!!!

Re: NaNoWriMo - 11/27/11 01:47 AM

Thanks, jabber. I had a great support system from my friends and the community on NaNoWriMo. It was an awesome experience and one I would highly recommend. :-)
Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

Re: NaNoWriMo - 11/27/11 03:24 AM

I'm really impressed, Yonuh. I've always wanted to write a novel, but never got more than a few pages written.

You are a officially a winner as you said, for completing 50,000 words of course, but I can't wait to hear you're ready to start the final edit before publishing.

Both you and Sandy N. make me so proud.

"Attagirls" to you both!

Anne

Re: NaNoWriMo - 11/27/11 03:14 PM

I don't think I could have done it without participating in NaNoWriMo. Knowing that I had to reach a specific word count by a certain date gave me the incentive I needed. I had written stuff before but often gave up before I had anything real. This experience has shown me that I can do it. Now to keep the momentum going! :-)

Re: NaNoWriMo - 11/27/11 03:29 PM

yonuh,
If you have 50,000 words, you must have a couple hundred pages then. Therefore, you've written an entire book in a month's time.
That's mindblowing!!!!

Re: NaNoWriMo - 11/27/11 11:45 PM

Yes, it is, jabber. I still can't believe I did it! I believe the average word count per page is 250, so yes, that's some 200 pages. I have to finish it, though, then edit it, and there's more research I need to do to make sure my facts are correct. So there's probably a couple more months of work on it. I am glad I did it. :-)

Re: NaNoWriMo - 11/28/11 03:38 PM

I'm happy for you! Prayers and blessings...