Nov. 15, I love to write day

Posted by: Dotsie

Nov. 15, I love to write day - 10/13/03 09:02 PM

I've read ina couple online newsletters taht November 15th is I Love To Write Day. I would like to make a suggestion for all the women writers in here. Why don't we take that day (or another one close to it) and spend it submitting our work. Either that or cranking out new articles to submit.

The only way to get acceptance letters is to submit, submit, submit! [Razz]

What do you think? [Wink]
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Nov. 15, I love to write day - 10/13/03 10:01 PM

count me in! Remember, for every person out there who tells you NO, there is a person who will tell you YES!

I think I can...I think I can...I know I can...I know.... [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Posted by: DreamrKate

Re: Nov. 15, I love to write day - 10/16/03 09:47 AM

Wow, you girls are inspiring! I write. I have always written. I used to submit articles years ago and got some pretty decent rejection letters but then got busy/discouraged/lost interest/went back to work.....and quit doing it. So... I'm kind of like starting from scratch....so I'd need to go get a Writer's Market and figure out my audience, right? Why does that make me cringe? It's just always soooo... *lay yourself out there* And I really could kick myself because I love to write and I think I'm fairly decent at it. It's that first step that's so hard for me.

Re: Nov. 15, I love to write day - 10/16/03 03:19 PM

DK, please check ou the LINKS on my site. There are many women who have started freelancing later in life and are very inspirational to others. IF you would like, I can email you newsletters and sites that are of interest to freelancing women. [Wink] What do you say.

I think your style of "lay yourself out there" is what sells!

People are curious about other's lives and when they can read honesty on paper...it doesn't get any better thatn that.

I also have a couple great bookd to recommend if you have that kind of writing style:

bird by bird, by Anne LaMott
Writing To Save Your LIfe, by Michelle Weldon
Spiritual Writing, by Deborah Levine Herman with Cnthis Black

All three will make you want to write and never stop! [Big Grin]

Re: Nov. 15, I love to write day - 10/16/03 03:27 PM

DK,
You are not starting over...you are re-inventing your life...I say go for it girl!

If you do what you always done, you'll be where you've always been....heh? [Big Grin]
Posted by: DreamrKate

Re: Nov. 15, I love to write day - 10/16/03 10:08 PM

You two are just wonderful breaths of fresh air. The relationships between women never cease to amaze me. They are so rich, so gracious, so wide open. I find the same thing with my close friends here. Either I've managed to pick very well or we've all just been drawn together but I find it's probably one of the richest parts of my life and I include both of you, Dotsie and jawjaw, to be part of that. Thank you so much for the encouragement and inspiration. You are both wonderful.

DreamrK

Re: Nov. 15, I love to write day - 10/16/03 11:26 PM

well isn't that just dandy...good grief...now I have to add YET ANOTHER name to my Christmas list...does it ever end?????????

[Wink]

Re: Nov. 15, I love to write day - 11/11/03 10:08 PM

Let's not forget the 15th is coming up. Since I'm not really working as a freelancer I don't have lots to submit. I do have an article about adoption that I will submit to a few places that day...just for the fun of it. [Wink]
Posted by: lionspaaw

Re: Nov. 15, I love to write day - 11/12/03 02:35 AM

oh pooh -- [Frown]

i went and wasted all my "submits" this past weekend instead of waiting until the 15th [Smile]

oh well -- guess i'll just have to find more places to "submit" [Big Grin]

DK -- i think people would love to hear your story/stories -- you shoot from the hip -- and that's refreshing -- people can relate to you and you have a way of making people like you immediately (except when you make me use big words that i have to look up how to spell [Wink] )

so -- and i think i've heard this somewhere before -- go for it [Smile]

Re: Nov. 15, I love to write day - 11/12/03 04:11 AM

That's another amen from me to LPaws to DK...do I hear another one sisters? DK has it going on and doesn't even know it. Those are the best writers if you ask me...like LP...same thing. [Big Grin]
Posted by: garrie keyman

Re: Nov. 15, I love to write day - 11/13/03 07:46 AM

Dotsie -- saw your post about having an article to submit on adoption and was wondering at that. Are you an adoptive mom? We have an adopted daughter and are looking into more -- maybe from Kazakhstan. What is your article about?

As for sending submissions, I, too, sent out a bunch last week and the week before (I go in rounds -- marketing minded or creative minded -- I rarely write and market simultaneously). The "what" I sent out was some queries for my "Bedtime Stories for Reluctant Grown-Ups" and some poetry and other short stories.

I belong to IWWG and I often send to martkets and contests posted in the back of their newsletter, Network.

Anyway, I doubt I'll celebrate on the 15th by sending out more submissions but tell ya what -- any rejections I get on that day I'll frame! Okay?

I already received the first ones (they don't waste time!) but I'm sure more are a-comin'.

Re: Nov. 15, I love to write day - 11/13/03 03:37 PM

Oooh! Oooh! <Lil waving hand frantically> Please send me freelancing women's links too! I definitely need inspiration!

Did I tell y'all about my recent adventures with Lulu.com? I concocted 3 "books" for my "store" on that site. I don't know if anyone will ever buy any of them, because 2 of them are novellas and the third is a 30-page collection of my shorter short stories... I came up with a half-price sale on them, so that the curious can just treat my stuff like a cup of coffee at Starbuck's (well, that's probably less than a Starbuck's)... Y'all, please just check it out and tell me what you think... honestly, am I spitting into the wind, or does this seem like a good, kookie idea? You can tell me honestly if this seems like a really, rally dumb idea....

http://www.lulu.com/lillianowl

Blessings,
Lil

Re: Nov. 15, I love to write day - 11/13/03 05:05 PM

Garrie, we have two adopted children and one birth child. I've written about them in here before, just can't remember which forum.

Our adopted children are from Korea. After we had our second child's picture, while waiting for her arrival, I (somehow) [Eek!] became pregnant. In a panicked state I called our social worker and made her promise that with my news we would still be able to get our daughter from Korea...and she was kind enough to allow that. [Big Grin] Amazing how that one little social worker had so much impact on our family! Had she said no I don't know what we would have done. We carried our daughter's picture everywhere and had already named her.

She was our Christmas baby, arriving on Dec. 21st. and our youngest was due in July, but was late and was born August 1st. We have Irish twins. [Razz] Well sorta!

[ November 13, 2003, 09:09 AM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]

Re: Nov. 15, I love to write day - 11/13/03 05:13 PM

Lil,
I say go for it. I think it's a shame though that you have to sell them for $2.00.

The way I look at it though is this:
YOu never know who looks at those sites. Perhaps publishers or agents poke around the internet to find new writiers. Can you read your work from that site?

Re: Nov. 15, I love to write day - 11/13/03 11:13 PM

Ladies, try www.thewriterslife.net

The site owner, Dorothy Thompson has a link for paying markets. Great information. Check it out.

Re: Nov. 15, I love to write day - 11/14/03 12:07 AM

gee...this should probably be on the recommended site as well, huh?

Re: Nov. 15, I love to write day - 11/14/03 12:21 AM

yuuuhooooo....I just visited that site and guess who has an article featured there! YEP! OUR DOTSIE! You go girl! I loved the article!