favourite lines or phrases

Posted by: Evie

favourite lines or phrases - 10/22/03 08:14 PM

Writer's collect words and images, n'est pas?

So, I was wondering what people's favorite phrases or word images are - either from something you've read, watched or heard i.e songs, poems or movies?

I have a couple, and interestingly enough they both come from songs:

"the smell of hospitals in winter" - from a song by Counting Crows

"she's as shady as cheap sunglasses" - from a song off the Practical Magic soundtrack...

anybody want to share theirs?
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: favourite lines or phrases - 10/22/03 09:31 PM

Oh I love this game! The ones that have captured me lately are:

"At the end of the game, the King and the Pawn go in the same box" - Italian Saying

"I intended to give you some advice but now I remember how much is left over from last year unused." - George Harris

"If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams and endeavors, to live the life which he imagined, he will meet with success, unexpected, in common hours - Henry David Thoreau

and my favorite:

"I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me" - PHILIPPIANS 4:13

[Big Grin] [Cool] [Cool] [Big Grin]
Posted by: Julie

Re: favourite lines or phrases - 10/23/03 03:23 AM

Here's one I found yesterday that is useful for the poets amongst us when the poem won't come out the way you want it:

"By God," quod he, "for pleynly, at a word, / Thy drasty rymyng is nat worth a toord!"
[Chaucer, Geoffrey. The Canterbury Tales "Sir Thopas" l. 929]

And a much more modern one I've been using on difficult & demanding students expecting instant gratification this past week:

"You can't always get what you want". I'm sure you all know the source of that one.
Posted by: Vicki M. Taylor

Re: favourite lines or phrases - 12/14/03 04:59 AM

TANSTAAFL

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch - anything free costs twice as much in the long run or turns out worthless

-- Robert A Heinlein

[ December 13, 2003, 09:00 PM: Message edited by: Vicki M. Taylor ]