Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers

Posted by: Prill

Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 08/24/04 09:04 PM

Just wanted to announce the recent publication of my first book: Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women. In it, I tell the stories of 12 "ordinary" women who've done extraordinary and unexpected things later in life. These women didn't just change tracks; they truly came into their own. Since I'd never written anything before, I also weave in between their stories my own story of meeting these women, mustering up the courage to write, finding an agent and publisher, and what I learned in the process. Check out my website for details: www.prillboyle.com. You can order the book on Amazon.com or purchase it at Borders, Barnes & Noble, Wal-Mart, etc. If you're a budding writer or late-bloomer who needs advice or encouragement, feel free to e-mail me directly through my website. I try and answer every letter.
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 08/24/04 09:51 PM

Okay ladies...Has the Queen ever lied to ya? Oh puleaseee...One little lie and you suddenly have a memory like a steel trap.

...but listen to me now.

Drop what you're doing and run on over to this woman's site. It will fill that need you have to be inspired. It will help push you to the place where you want to be. It will speak to you. GO! And don't forget to check out the links at the top of the page where you can read all about the women in the book. You won't be sorry!

JJ
Posted by: Vicki M. Taylor

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 08/25/04 12:42 AM

Prill, excellent premise for a book. Congratulations on publication. I've visited your site and "visited" with each of the extraordinary women.

Wow. You have a winner.

[Big Grin]
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 08/25/04 12:54 AM

Prill wonderful book and I condratulate you. Am I jealous, oh yes, I have had to rise above rejection upon rejection when all say what a gresat writer I am. Some of us pay our dues while others collect the rewards. I would love to change my position just once. You are amazing and I'm sure you know that. [Big Grin]
Posted by: Pam Kimmell

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 08/25/04 02:26 PM

Prill - congratulations on the book! I enjoyed reading about the women you featured in the book AND your own experiences as well. I'm a rather "late-blooming" writer myself....I say BETTER LATE THAN NEVER!! [Wink] [Wink]
Posted by: DonnaJ

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 08/25/04 05:03 PM

Congratulations on the book, Prill. And I always follow the Queens decrees, so I'll check out the website, too! [Big Grin]

Donna
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 08/25/04 09:52 PM

I love the idea behind this book. I think many of us feel like late bloomers. We've been so busy doing what's been needed though the years. We have time at mid-life to focus more on ourselves and become the women we are being called to be. [Wink]
Posted by: Maggie

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 08/26/04 02:07 AM

Really enjoyed the site and the book looks wonderful too.
Thanks.
Maggie
Posted by: Dianne

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 08/26/04 06:32 PM

What a small world. I went to Amazon to read about this book and one of the women who reviewed it, lives in my home town. That's strange because it isn't a big city but a very small town in New Mexico. So, I emailed her and we corresponded about what had changed. What fun.

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 08/26/04 09:36 PM

Prill, thanks so much for the email and explaining that this was not your very first book and that you also suffered through rejections as we all have. I was mistaken and thought you sat down, wrote one book and viola it was published. You earned this success and apparently have also paid your dues. I plan to buy and read the book, it does [Wink] sound fascinating.

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 08/26/04 09:59 PM

Charleen-- Well, I've certainly had my share of disappointments. (I just heard from my publicist a few minutes ago that Oprah turned the book down). But if there's one thing I've learned, it's that you gotta keep believing. You can't give up on yourself. (With enough grass-roots support for the book, even Oprah could change her mind!) Just want to clarify, though, that this IS my first book. I'd never written a single thing before, except one short academic article on reader-response theory--not exactly creative non-fiction. Anyway, thanks again for your notes. This is such a great site!!! Dotsie is the best, isn't she?

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 08/26/04 10:28 PM

Prill, so glad you've chosen to hang with us.

Please tell us about your publicist...if you don't mind.

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 08/26/04 11:15 PM

Hi Dotsie! I love hanging with you and am happy to share my publishing experience. Ask anything. My publicist is a woman in NYC named Maryann Palumbo. I hired her because I believe in this book and had no clue how to bring it to the attention of producers on The Today Show, Oprah, etc. (By the way, one of Oprah's producers supposedly read the book and loved it; it just didn't make it through the second round.) Anyway, Maryann does the national stuff; I do the rest. Every day, in addition to my writing, I try and do one thing to promote the book. (Today I did an interview with the Lexington Courier-Journal out of Kentucky.) I've got a whole file folder full of suggestions from wonderful women like you that I've been compiling for the past four years. My agent, Paul Fedorko, has also been incredibly supportive. A God-send. (http://www.tridentmediagroup.com/pfedorko.htm) FYI, Susan Page's book "The Shortest Distance Between You and Published Book" is a great primer for getting an agent, writing a proposal, etc. Hope this helps.

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 08/27/04 01:21 AM

You know something...you write, you write, and you write, and you finally come to the end and have your book all ready to go to the publisher and then SOMEBODY'S (and I won't mention any names but their initials are DB and JK) started telling me all about the marketing side and what all is involved...

NOW I know the work has just begun...I mean can you believe what all you have to do just to get somebody to read your book and comment? And I'm a Queen for pete's sake!

A person stands a better chance of getting on the best seller list if they strip nakkid and run across a ballgame holding up their book....

wait...you know---okay, okay, I won't. But---ALRIGHT ALREADY! I won't do it. It was just a thought, okay?
[Roll Eyes]
JJ

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 08/27/04 01:34 AM

Don't despair. We're here to help each other. I never thought I could write a book, but with much assistance--both earthly and divine--I did. (That's part of why I want to help other writers, to "pay it forward" so to speak.) Don't forget, you're a queen. The world will fall at your feet if your voice is true and your vision, clear. [Wink]

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 08/27/04 03:30 AM

and I can guarantee you one thing...they would fall at my feet laughing if I DID strip nakkid and run across a ballfield! ha! It wouldn't be pretty...

Thanks for the encouragement Prill...

Do you mind me asking what was your biggest hurdle to overcome?

JJ

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 08/27/04 03:47 AM

I think a crowd would gag and vomit and ask me to put my clothes back on!

JJ: I'll tell you something the editor at my publishing house told me if it helps.

"We are looking for a new or different slant to an old topic."

Let's face it, there aren't many topics that haven't been written about or written about over and over so they are looking for something unique. My book was on domestic violence and she said they must receive over 200 manuscripts or query letters on that topic alone every year. And, most of them were..."my ex beat me, I left, here I am." No answers for the reader. (If you write a self-help book, you gotta give answers!) They liked the fact that I addressed what I felt or thought and the lies I told myself and how I humbled myself to be completely honest. It makes a difference if you let the readers into your heart and show them you aren't perfect either. I can't read a book written by a woman who seems to be a mini goddess or something! I need a human being!

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 08/27/04 03:58 AM

All good pointers given ladies. That is what makes this boomer site work so wonderfully. Every one is willing to share and care. I'm coining my very own boomer phrase here when I say that this site allows us to go Boomer-to-Boomer, or in laymans terms...door to door asking questions, offering advice, and helping each other.

Oh and one more thing...what do you mean you don't want to read a book written by a goddess?

Goddess JJ
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 08/27/04 08:52 AM

Let me add my congrats! I went to your website and loved it!! [Smile] What you tell women is: follow your heart, and don't be afraid to fall. Great advice for everyone. [Wink]

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 08/27/04 09:03 PM

My friend the Queen asked what was my biggest hurdle. The answer is self-doubt--a huge impediment to any creative endeavor. But I also had to get over my shyness. (In the beginning, I used to get butterflies in my stomach before picking up the phone to call someone I didn't know--not helpful when you need to set up interviews.) Slowly, though, I started to walk through my fears. I practiced. Every day I tried to do one bold thing. I still do. When I felt those butterflies, I kept right on going. The more you face down fear, the more you see it's just a phantom.

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 08/28/04 01:45 AM

JJ, I don't mind reading a book by a goddess, just not a perfect goddess.

Prill, what is shy? [Confused] Never experienced that.
Posted by: Louisa

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 08/28/04 02:48 AM

I don't know jawjaw - that running across the field naked might have worked 30 years ago, but I think if I did it today, all I would get is a bunch of football fans screaming, "Hey, lady, get off the field, you're blocking the kicker!" [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Louisa

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 08/28/04 03:12 AM

Ms Lou! Laughing out loud on that one...me too girl...cept they would be saying who is that short person carrying those two footballs...hahahahah...get it? hahahaha...Lord, I should write humor....or not.

JJ

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 08/28/04 04:14 AM

Anyone else wondering what they put in the water down yonder in Atlanta, either our Queen is talking about scurrying about in the buff or blow up dolls, hmmm! Makes one wonder whats in that thar water, and how can I get me sum...?? [Razz]

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 08/28/04 04:17 AM

Oh Lordy I said Atlanta and I meant Alabama way down yonder.... [Wink] [Confused]

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 08/28/04 04:38 AM

way down yonder would be New Orleans...remember? Way down yonder in New Orleans.....dadaaaada....

what?

JJ

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 08/28/04 05:10 AM

Lookout jawjaw, if they think you got the football, you'll get tackled [Eek!] If I could still run, I'd end up with two black eyes. Sounds like you would too. [Big Grin]

It must be in the water up north too Chatty.

Louisa

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 08/28/04 11:31 AM

Well at least water is on my diet, no carbs but I must be drinking the wrong brand. [Frown] Don't even get me started on having footballs, well you know what I mean.....Mine look more like tube socks with rocks inside, long and hangy, yuk. tee hee [Big Grin] If I tried I could probably throw them over my shoulders. Not a pretty sight!!! [Eek!]

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 08/28/04 02:52 PM

Can you tie 'em in a knot?
Can you tie 'em in a bow?

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 08/28/04 02:54 PM

Meredith and Prill mentioned fear.

Think of what we'd accomplish if it we didn't face fear...

Think about something you'd love to do. Why aren't you doing it? Is fear a factor?

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 08/28/04 02:56 PM

Prill, I checked out your publicist and agent online. I'm so happy you have quality people working for/with you. Mind sharing how you got them?

[ August 28, 2004, 07:56 AM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 08/28/04 03:53 PM

Dotsie,
I think fear is the MAJOR and sometimes ONLY factor that holds people back from doing things they really want to do. I've found that if I minimize the fear, or better yet, meet it head on, then that particular fear simply disappears. I think someone like Garrie (who has a way with splain things) could do a better job here, but let me give a very simple and small explanation of what I mean....

Ever been to a large gathering where there was a buffet? Seems like everytime I do, when it's time to eat, no one will go first and the person who does gives some sort of embarassing statement as to why he/she's going first...then after that person, everybody jumps up and gets in line. How crazy is this? It's a food line, not a line to get into heaven. I've made it a practice that whenever I'm in a situation like this and the speaker says "okay folks, let dine" or "time to eat" or whatever, I simply get up and get a plate.

Now I know that too simple an explanation but it serves the purpose. What I do whenever something bothers me or I feel my fear creeping in is to say to myself, "what's the worst that can happen?" Usually, it already has...and it's not that bad so I go for it!

Hope this helps a tad...

now, I'd love to hear how Prill got her agent and publicist, but I just had to put my 10 cents worth in...teehee.

JJ

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 08/28/04 04:02 PM

Dotsie--I'm happy to share what I know. In terms of getting a publicist, my agent helped me; so the answer to your question has to start with how I got an agent. A successful writer friend of mine, Jane Hammerslough, gave me some advice early on in my project. First of all, she recommended I read the book I suggested in an earlier posting: "The Shortest Distance Between You and a Published Book" by Susan Page. But she also said that being crystal clear and passionate about the concept of your book was the most important thing in terms of getting an agent. "An agent will come to YOU, if you're clear," she said. I didn't quite believe her, but that's exactly what happened to me. I talked shamelessly about my book idea everywhere I went--in airports, in stores, even at PTA meetings. (At this point, I hadn't written a word, but I WAS clear and I WAS passionate.) Within a few weeks of my conversation with Jane, I was been given business cards by two agents with encouragement to call them after I'd written a few chapters. The first I met in a train station; the second, at a party. Keep in mind that I had never met--at least to my knowledge--a literary agent in my life. Less than a month later, a third agent, Paul Fedorko, whom I met through a friend but had no idea was a literary agent, paid me a visit and asked about my book. (My friend had told Paul about my idea.) After I shared with him the concept, he said, "Do you have an agent yet?" When I told him I didn't, he said, "Well, I'm your agent." I was floored. I felt sure that once he saw my writing, he would change his mind (that self-doubt thing I had to work through), but he didn't. I know that between the lines of this answer, your readers are going to think, "Ah ha! She had connections." And, this is true. But I didn't KNOW I had connections, and I think Paul would validate my belief that the reason he took me on was not because of my friend but because I was clear about what I was doing and able to impart to him my vision. Hope this helps.

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 08/28/04 04:08 PM

Good Lord...that's a great story and almost like a dream come true. I think you should be called

you ready?

CinderPRILLa....

what?

JJ

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 08/28/04 04:11 PM

JJ-- Love what you said about fear. I agree entirely. Also love the buffet analogy.

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 08/28/04 04:15 PM

JJ-- You just crack me up. [Big Grin] Cinder-prilla. That's great.! I've been called all sorts of things (my good friends always lapse into Prilly or Prillilla or some such thing), but never Cinderprilla. How do you come up with this stuff? Wish you could bottle it and sell some to me.

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 08/28/04 04:21 PM

Well honey child, today's your lucky day cause I WILL be selling you some of my...ah...my...ahhh..hmmm...Queenisms, that's it, Queenisms, reallll soooon.

My book, "A Funny Thing Happened on the way to the Throne," is suppose to be out before Christmas and it will be like the shot heard around the world...teehee.

So stand by girls and boys...and be afraid...be very afraid...the Queen is coming to a bookstore near you.

JJ [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Wink]

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 08/28/04 05:28 PM

Did any of you notice how Dotsie jumped in and cleaned up the conversation when the topic of boobs appeared? Hmmmm
Posted by: smilinize

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 08/28/04 06:24 PM

Okay Queen, I can buy the football boobs thing, but you're spelling naked like a Yankee. It's not nakid. It's nekud. Get your southern butt down here where you belong girl.

AND, Where did you hear that stuff about "way down yonder" being in New Orleans? It ain't New Orleans. It's Oklahoma.
Woody Guthrie, the Dustbowl Balladeer, from Okemah, Oklahoma, wrote about it in the thirties.
And us Okies ain't lettin' them Louisianans steal it neither. "This Indian Nation, Oklahoma, is where "Way Down Yonder" is and we know it!! Here's Woody's song:

OKLAHOMA HILLS
by Woody Guthrie
Many a month has come and gone
Since I wandered from my home
In those Oklahoma hills where I was born.
Many a page of life has turned,
Many a lesson I have learned;
Well, I feel like in those hills I still belong.
CHORUS:
""'Way down yonder in the Indian Nation
Ridin' my pony on the reservation,
Now, 'way down yonder in the Indian Nation,
A cowboy's life is my occupation,

But as I sit here today,
Many miles I am away
From a place I rode my pony through the draw,
While the oak and blackjack trees
Kiss the playful prairie breeze,

CHORUS

Now as I turn life a page
To the land of the great Osage
In those Oklahoma hills where I was born,
While the black oil it rolls and flows
And the snow-white cotton grows

smile
P.S. I went to the site. Loved it. Can't wait to get the book. No matter how late I am, I need to BLOOM!!!

[ August 28, 2004, 11:28 AM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 08/28/04 06:31 PM

<Queen doing happy dance cause SMILES is back> Well now dearest mentor of mine....As a true, born and raised, but never picked cotten, SouthernHER...I can assure you I borrow that spelling from none other than....LEWIS GRIZZARD himself. It don't "git" any more Southern than that. Lord I wish that man was still alive....sigh. And Erma, bless her heart.

...now the "way down yonder" phrase I'll will admit...belongs to Okies, okey doakey?

Soooo glad you're back girl...

JJ

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 08/29/04 02:37 AM

Ah, I believe it was Freddie (Boom-Boom) Cannon, (from Revere, Massachusetts) sang about "way down yonder in New Orleans." That's where she got it. [Cool]
Louisa

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 08/29/04 03:16 AM

ahhhh...thank you Ms L! I'm so glad to know I'm not totally crazy...notice I said totally, k?

...that tune has been going on in my head over and over but I couldn't think of the guy's name. I remember it well, don't you? I especially liked the part where he says, "You STOP! You better give that lady fair...a little smile." And the drums are beating in the background...member? I may have the words mixed up...

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 08/29/04 08:04 PM

I'm lost with all this Southern talk. No help here! But I will say you all/ch'all/y'all(however you spell it) are crazy! [Razz] And...it's great *seeing* smile back to her old tricks!

Now about this agent and publicist...

Prill, you mentioned passion! Amen to that! When you believe in something it comes across in your writing and voice.

Everything I read says to write whatever you're passionate about. I believe it with my heart and soul.

I'm passionate about boomer women sharing our stories to encourage and support one another. I believe we're all here to help one another in every way we can.

The first time I spoke with my agent she commented on the passion in my voice. When she connected me with Brian at PTA(PR firm) he said the same thing.

When I asked him why he wanted to represent me, he said that he liked my enthusiasm/spirit and project. He said I represented it well.

I only share this to point out the importance of not being shy about our passions. We are our best advocates and if we aren't excited about what we're writing about, no one else will be either. [Wink]

Thanks for sharing Prill.

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 08/29/04 10:35 PM

Okay, JJ, Louisa may be right about that 'way down yonder' stuff. I mean she got a whole state named for her for heaven's sake. But I bet that Boom Boom Freddie guy stole 'way down yonder' from Woody.

On to Dots,
The word "Enthusiasm" in your post reminded me of something. I once wrote grants for a large university. The bored academic types all made fun of me for being so enthusiastic for whatever project I was working on at the time. Well, I was young and trying to fit in and so I decided to try to curb my enthusiasm. But first, I decided to look it up in an Oxford Dictionary. It wasn't the definition that surprised me. It was the derivation.
The 'En' part of enthusiasm comes is from the Latin suffix for 'inside' and the 'iasm' part is from the latin for 'showing or exhibiting'. But the most important part of the word is the 'thus' part which comes from 'Theos' which is the term for God. Therefore the word "Enthusiasm" literally means "Showing God Inside."
Hey, who doesn't want more of that? Let's DO IT!!
smile

[ August 29, 2004, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 08/29/04 11:39 PM

Come on Smile, you don't remember Freddy Cannon? Palisades Park, Tallahassee Lassie, Way Down Yonder in New Orleans, Abigail Beecher? American Bandstand? [Frown]

He grew up in my hometown. I hung around with his cousin and got to meet him when he visited her. I took his cigarette butts out of the ashtray when he left. I was going to keep them forever, but I hid them in my jewelry box and my mother found them. She thought I was smoking and threw them out. [Roll Eyes]

I have a funny Chubby Checker story too if anyone's interested. [Smile]

Don't get me started. [Big Grin]
Louisa

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 08/30/04 01:32 AM

I for one would love to hear about Chubby Checker. I met him several times when I was Head of Security here in Las Vegas at "Joseph Magnins the Store of The Stars." He came in with his mother and his wife and bought them both long mink coats, it was winter time. All the *stars* use to come into Magnins while here in Vegas because it was the only store that had a Gucci shop at the time, it was he most expensive store in this town, right on the strip next to the Desert Inn. Boy could I tell you some stories about the 2 years I worked there. Yikes... [Wink]

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 08/30/04 02:37 AM

Okay you guys, I know Chubby, but I must have slept through Freddie, Maybe it's alzheimers.

Chatty, selling mink coats must have been hard for you with your love for animals. The things we have to do to make money.
smile

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 08/30/04 04:11 AM

There's something to write about, Chatty. I would have loved working there. [Smile]

We go to Disneyworld twice a year now that we have the vacation club. Chubby was at the American Pavillion in Nov. 2002. I guess he does the same week every year. Well, I was only going to go and take his picture and leave. I got caught up in the crowd and twisting in the aisle and the whole bit. I took a ton of photos and added old Chubby to my website. A few months later, my sister told me she heard on the news that he died. I felt terrible and thought I must have some of the last pictures taken of him.

Last November, I felt bad knowing he wouldn't be there. We were walking by the Pavillion and his name was posted. I thought that was a terrible mistake. I stopped a guy who works there and asked him if Chubby Checker was supposed to be there. He said, "yes." "But my sister told me he died months ago. I thought he was dead," I told the poor guy.

"I hope he's alive madam," he said. "I'm in charge of the show and I can't do the Twist."

My husband was embarrassed, of course. I was happy to hear he was alive and went back that night for yet another twist fest. I took more pictures. Now I have more pictures of Chubby Checker than I'll ever need. I called my sister the next morning and told her he was alive and still twisting. We found out later it was someone who had been in his group for many years that died. God willing, I'll see him this November too. [Cool]

Louisa
Posted by: Sher

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 08/31/04 02:20 PM

Hello ladies,

I've been reading this post, absorbing every word. (Well, almost every word.)

As some of you know, I have been absent from the boards so that I might endulge in a big old pity party. A mean and nasty editor sucked the wind right out of my sails and I just couldn't write a word. Actually, still can't. When I sit down to write, I stare at my computer screen and think about how "unfunny" I am.

Prill, I am anxious to get your book. I plan on ordering it this week. It isn't just that I want to read it, but rather at this point I feel like I have to. I need to hear the stories these women have to tell. At forty, I've had that sinking feeling for the last week or so that I am all I will ever be.... and that thought just kills me.

I know writer's should have thick skin, but I think my skin is wearing a little thin in places. I'm hoping your book will light a fire under my behind, so to speak.

And BTW.... some of you lovely Boomer ladies sent me some very encouraging email. You've been lovely and thoughtful and when I say I am blessed to have found this website, it's not just empty words. You all truly make this place like a cyber kitchen table!

Love to you....

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 08/31/04 03:13 PM

Welcome home dear girl. I've been praying you would return and here you are...

I still think we should send Bubba & Earl to pay that editor a little visit...they could take Scooter, their pet Racoon...he don't play, capice?

Look, if anybody knows funny, it's me...Lord knows I've been working at it for a kazillion years and GIRL...YOU'RE FUNNY. I wish you weren't cause you are REAL FUNNY and like I need the competition? puleaseee. So, take it from me, you've got the gift.

Putting that all aside, you don't have to stay away from the boards when you are hurting or down. That's what we're here for hon...it's what we do. Friends healing friends. And we are here for you.

Cyberhugs,
[Big Grin]
JJ
Posted by: Songbird

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 08/31/04 04:59 PM

Prill,congratulations on your book!

I agree with Dots in that we can relate to late bloomers. This book seems like great encouragement to go after our dream. It's never to late to follow it!

I wish you the best of success with your book! I enjoyed the tips on your website too! Thanks! [Cool]

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 08/31/04 10:20 PM

Sher, great to see you. When you get down is just when you need to come running to your friends so we can pick you back up again.

Just remember, life begins at 40. The first 40 years were the foundation for what is yet to come. Believe it and live it!

[Big Grin]
Posted by: Pam Kimmell

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 08/31/04 11:31 PM

I agree with life beginning at 40.....and I never thought I'd say it, but it's pretty darned good at 50 too.....come to think of it, now that I'm actually closer to 60 than 50 I'm hoping THAT's even BETTER! [Eek!]

Don't feel bad about "feeling bad" either Sher..we ALL do once in a while, but it takes a special woman to ADMIT it and an even more special one to be open to receiving help from friends when we need it. Glad you are back. [Wink]

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 09/01/04 11:48 AM

I don't know who thought of the saying "pay it forward," and I saw the movie but its the best, neatest idea I've heard in a very long time. [Wink]

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 09/01/04 05:33 PM

Hi Ladies! I've been in and out of town and unable to check the forum on a regular basis. But now that I'm home again, I wanted to thank "Cher" and "Songbird" for their recent comments about my book. As I said in a previous posting, ya gotta believe! If the '69 Mets could come out of nowhere to win the World Series, anything is possible! My manuscript was rejected by 14 publishers before the 15th bought it. And the 15th didn't just buy it, they begged my agent to sell it to them! I will say, though, that before I even sent the first three chapters to my agent, I had my brilliant niece, who has the most discriminating ear for language on the planet (at least the most discriminating I know) read through the manuscript line by line and give me her critical feedback. She was kind, but brutal--just what I needed. In other words, I used all the help I had available to me to write the best book I could.

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 09/01/04 05:34 PM

Whoops! I spelled "Sher" wrong, didn't I? Sorry about that. [Frown]

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 09/02/04 07:08 AM

Wow! 14 publishers? Girl, you got what it takes then. I would have eaten worms and died by then...

What an inspiration!

JJ

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 09/01/04 08:23 PM

Prill, thanks for sharing. For clarification ...those rejections came through your agent?

Did you try submitting to any publishing houses on your own prior to acquiring an agent?

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 09/01/04 09:39 PM

Hi Dotsie! You'll be happy to hear (from a keep-the-faith perspective) that the rejections came through my agent. He thought there'd be a bidding war for the book; instead he received from publishers one "thanks, but no thanks" after another.
Posted by: lalapaloosa

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 09/02/04 10:24 AM

JJ and Chatty--
Couldn't let this go without one more post about it.
When my daughter was a LITTLE girl I remember her looking at me while I was getting dressed and saying wistfully "Mommy, when I grow up I want long boobies just like yours!" How is that for a backsided compliment!!!! And I was only in my twenties!! Sob...You gotta love underwires!
CinderPrilla,
Congratulations on your book. I haven't seen your website yet, but I am eager to check it out. Fear has paralyzed me and kept me from achieving so many things. Grrrr! [Mad]
Sher, Sher, Sher!!! [Big Grin]
So happy to see you posting again. Your humor brightens my heart! Sometimes when I come onto the BWS site, I am just looking for a touch of humor and I look for yours and JJ's posts.
Don't you just wish that thin skinned meant weight loss? As in: "Look at that figure! She is so thin skinned and shapely [Wink] ! Wowzingy!"

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 09/02/04 02:43 PM

I know I will write again. I can't help myself. It's a "got to" thing, not a "want to" thing.

However, everything I write at the moment sounds like an obituary. Seriously unfunny. I'm considering shaving my cat just for the material.

I hope this passes. I think it has as much to do with the fact that I have about a million things going on in my life right now as anything.

I am planning an Expo for men and women that want to work from home here in Kansas: Be Your Own Boss Expo and I am also a para for special needs kids at a local school this year. I've been working at home for a long time and felt I needed to get away a little bit. I spend my days with mentally challenged children and I even give meds via a g-tube to a little boy twice a day.

As you might imagine, none of these things are funny.

Ya'll keep me in your thoughts and send me some good vibes.

Or chocolate.

Or money.

[ September 02, 2004, 07:44 AM: Message edited by: Sher ]

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 09/02/04 05:19 PM

Not only do you hope it passes, but so does the cat....Listen, I visited your site about the EXPO and I gotta tell ya, you have a ton of stuff going on...a ton. I have a column and a poopie other job...big deal. You have a life, and all these things going on.

I say go get um girl. You are capable, intelligent, a workaholic of sorts, and okay, your funny...

I know you will get back into the swing of writing again, and it might take you getting MAD at that editor to do it...whatever works. If it were me, I would go right back to him and submit something else. I would NEVER let him get the best of ME...ain't no way hosea...

Bubba and Earl standing by.

Hugs, JJ

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 09/03/04 05:06 PM

Sher, what a full plate! How do you do it all? Do you ever sleep? You also have the site about money too, right?

Where did you learn your computer skills 'cause I'm guessing you do all the work for your sites too. Right?

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 09/03/04 11:10 PM

Hi everyone! What a remarkable group of women this is! (I've been slowly checking out all your websites.) I totally agree with Speakermom. It's not only okay to take a break from writing; sometimes it's critically important that we do so. One has to inhale before one can exhale.

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 09/06/04 11:39 PM

You all are great. I'd like to buy you a all a Coke. [Smile]

My plate is a little full. It really is. But, I miss sitting down to write and having it flow easily. At the moment, it's just not pumping for me.

This weekend I took my daughter's cat to her. It was a two hour trip and our vet prescribed some lovely cat valium for him to make the ride easier on everyone involved. It was hilarious to take a car trip with a stoned cat, but when I sat down to write about it, it was like pulling teeth for me. I couldn't finish.

I think my funny bone has been fractured.

And on another note, I need to find someone that will proofread my writing for me and I have no idea who to ask. I want someone that will be critical in a nice way... or else I'll wind up under the table with my frosting can again. Mr. Man will sometimes help, but he has a tendency to want to re-write what I've written and I have a tendency to want to box his ears.

I will read and re-read something twenty times... thinking I have caught all the grammatical, spelling and other errors only to read it again in a month and be so embarassed I could die for what reads like a third graders essay.

Who do you guys use? A friend or relative? Someone you hire? I think Prill mentioned a niece who was brutally honest with her.

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 09/07/04 01:02 AM

Sher-- Have no fear, your funny bone's still intact. [Wink] (You made me laugh--again.) In terms of finding an editor, I recommend the trial and error method. As you said, you want someone honest, but kind. I showed snippets of my work to lots of people--and received lots of questionable feedback--before discovering my niece right under my nose.
Posted by: lalapaloosa

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 09/07/04 04:58 AM

Sher,
Can you just send a gift certificate? I am afraid my coke would be flat by the time it arrived.
Love,
La
Hmmmm...what is it like to travel with stoned cat? Does it eat all the time? Does it say, cool, whooooa or dude, or any combination thereof? Does it swat at things no one else can see? Hang from the top of the cat carrier? Just sleep?
Posted by: Maggie

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 09/07/04 06:17 AM

Yes, please details on the stoned cat. I laughed outloud when I read about that. No you haven't lost your sense of humor at all.
I will take the cola too. Sounds good!!!!
Maggie

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 09/07/04 01:10 PM

Sorry, you have to be present to get the Coke. When you go to the trouble of buying the world a Coke, the whole point is to have everyone show up at your house so that you can all hold hands and sing while you drink it.

My stoner cat has finally come down from his high. My daughter said once he ate an entire pizza and a box of Little Debbie's, he was fine.

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 09/07/04 02:11 PM

I'm sorry but you lost me. I've eaten an entire pizza, a box of Debbies AND one bag of Oreo's...so?

JJ
Posted by: TVC15

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 09/07/04 03:53 PM

That sure would get you some attention Jawjaw! I haven't gotten to the point where I'm writing books yet. I'm doing okay with my essays. Nothing to strip nakkid about though!

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 09/07/04 05:09 PM

jawjaw, I hope it wasn't recently because you forgot to post that in the diet forum! [Razz]

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 09/07/04 06:00 PM

BUSTED............. [Roll Eyes]

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 09/07/04 11:30 PM

"Hi, my name is Jaw-Jaw and I'm hooked on cat tranquilizers."

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 09/08/04 12:15 AM

Ex cuseeeee M waahhhh....

but that happens to be Oreo tranquilizers thank you very much! hmp!

JJ

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 09/11/04 04:33 PM

From experience, if you want to sell books, radio really doesn't do it for you. It gets the information out there if you're on during drive time but other than that, don't count on it. And, you might end up doing from home (telephone) interviews at 2 am. Not fun. I did one and refused to do anymore. snore.

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 09/11/04 05:03 PM

Hi Diane! You're right that radio interviews don't sell that many books--unless it's NPR's Fresh Air or All Things Considered, or something along that line. But you never know who'll be listening when you're on the air. As a friend of mine is fond of saying, "There's a king in every audience." I did a Clear Channel radio program that led to my writing a magazine article. I also did another very small show out of the Pacific Northwest that looks like it might lead to making Defying Gravity a book on tape. Plus, radio is so easy to do from home and costs nothing on my end. If the time isn't convenient, you can always say no.

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 09/11/04 05:05 PM

Whoops! I spelled a name wrong again. [Frown] It's Dianne, not Diane, right? Sorry about that.

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 09/12/04 12:10 AM

I keep a written record of radio and tv interviews I've done. It's pages and pages long. Trust me, I've done my share of radio interviews and have never found them to be that successful. True, you never know who is listening and it isn't about selling books but...it is. There is nothing wrong with making $$'s off of your hard work. There is nothing wrong with helping people for free either. But, being a writer is a business just like any other job. My time is so taken and busy that I have to decide how my time will be used to the best. You will be surprised how many people want you to travel at your own expense and speak for free. Sometimes, that's okay but after a while, it gets old and expensive and truthfully, you're more valued if you get paid. Go figure, but it's true. However, after saying that, I've never charged a shelter for battered women for my speaking. If it's in another state, I do ask for travel expenses. It's about good business and if you don't treat it that way, you're gonna end up broke. [Eek!]

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 09/12/04 12:41 AM

well here I am again starting backwards cause honey, I'm starting out broke. I do agree 100% on treating your writing as a business and I think ALL of you have given us good points to ponder. We just have to pick and choose what works for us and our goals.

I on the other hand, am desperate and will speak to the Roto Rooter Association if asked...hey, plumbers need to laugh too ya know!

JJ
Posted by: Queen Me

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 09/16/04 06:12 PM

Finally read through this discussion thread and am inspired to keep moving forward. Although, not completely finished with my book, I've already started the marketing aspect. And, it is sooooo time consuming. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Anyway, your site is great. And, I have no doubt that one day will see you on Oprah!

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 09/16/04 06:33 PM

Thanks, "Queen Me"! [Wink] If there's anything I can do to for you--even it's just moral support--feel free to e-mail me through my website. As I said in a previous posting, I've had so much help along the way; now I want to "pay it forward." Actually, even your entry helped me. This morning I was just lamenting about how much time book promotion takes--and how endless it is--when I read your entry. It made me feel less alone, more like I was in a tribe of wonderful women writers, all aspiring to, and working towards, having their voices be heard.

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 09/16/04 06:53 PM

When my book was first released, I did so many radio interviews I began to feel like the peanuts character that had the moving mouth and never shut up. After a while, I wondered, "Wait, did I already say that or was it another show?" Menopause didn't help any either!

Queen Me: What a great site you have. Very industrious!

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 09/16/04 06:57 PM

Menapause--now THAT'S a topic! (Don't get me started.) [Big Grin]

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 09/16/04 08:15 PM

Honey, it's MEN-O-PAUSE ...and THEY don't get it.

JJ

Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers - 09/17/04 12:10 AM

You're not kidding, Georgia! (By the way, I always get that "o" and "a" mixed up--but the joke you made will help me remember.)