How do you do it?

Posted by: Saundra

How do you do it? - 02/25/06 06:17 PM

Perhaps I've been asking the wrong question. Do you, ladies, edit your own work, ask a friend to look at it, or hire a professional? This is my first book (non-fiction). I can no longer see it and need another set of eyes. Thoughts, please! I had no luck on preditors and editors. Thank you. Saundra
Posted by: Dianne

Re: How do you do it? - 02/25/06 07:15 PM

Saundra, I hired an editor and she was great. She keeps me on track, which is good because my mind and words wander.
Posted by: Vicki M. Taylor

Re: How do you do it? - 02/26/06 08:31 AM

It's really up to you. Do you have a critique group where you can share your works and help each other edit?

Sometimes, authors can edit their own work, but it takes a lot of work to wear both hats.

Like Dianne said, it's great to have a paid editor who can really look at your work and help you make it better.

Re: How do you do it? - 02/26/06 07:35 PM

Hi, Vicki and Diane. Thanks, I understand the concept. I'm attemtping to find an editor-no luck so far. I was hoping someone would be kind enough to share how they found theirs or share their editor's name and email if they ahd a great experience. I think it's better to have a referral, rather than take chance over the Internet where I received a coma-inducing fee quote and the guy wouldn't answer questions. Onward . . . Saundra [Smile]
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: How do you do it? - 02/26/06 09:15 PM

Saundra,
I hired an editor, did my own editing, AND the publisher had an editor who performed the third and final editing task of the book. We still missed stuff. Go figure. But I've been told this is very common. And it certainly didn't hurt sales.

I also do editing for people on a limited basis. I don't have a lot of time to edit, but will do some. I DO NOT give a "full up" editing of mannies. I do what is called a "run-thru" and therefore, cheaper than most editing jobs.

It's proof-reading, spelling, and grammar and I make suggestions where needed. In other words, I refuse to rewrite your book. I could probably find you an editor's name to give you a full editing job, if this is what you are interested in?

But by all means, do NOT try to edit your own work. You more than likely have it memorized and will not do it justice.

JJ

Re: How do you do it? - 02/27/06 01:13 AM

nancy@writing-pro.com

Her name is Nancy Christie and she's fantastic. Tell her Dianne sent you.
Posted by: DonnaJ

Re: How do you do it? - 02/27/06 02:12 AM

Here's a story about why it's so important to get a fresh set of eyes. I put out a children's eBook as a free download to promote my children's print book. The eBook is about how Chizzy, the monkey, snuck (and I was told I should have used 'sneaked' ??), down a tree and ran off with his friend, Dotty. Here's the stanza:

Shadows stretched long, and noises grew scary.
Eyes in the dark made us shiver.
A growl from the trees made us weak in the knees.
And Dotty ran home to her river.

Well, guess what? I had "A growl from the trees made us week in our knees."

Now several people had looked it over, but all were familiar with the story. It wasn't until it was up on the web for all to see, and downloaded several dozen times, that someone saw fit to tell me. LOL!!! OH, boy! Was my face red!!!

And anyone that knows me knows that I go over and over stuff before I send it in.

Get fresh eyes. It's worth it. I hope you find a wonderful editor.

*Here's a link to the eBook. Please - feel free to tell me if you see any other mistakes! [Big Grin]

Chizzy's Topsy Turvy Tale

(It's a .pdf file.)
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: How do you do it? - 02/27/06 05:05 AM

Saundra the critique group we have right here on Boomers consists of many writers and I personally do professional critiquing for LRWG so why not join us via Dotsie (for the password)and maybe our eyes can be of service to you..and its free cause you're a boomer.

[ February 26, 2006, 09:07 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]
Posted by: DonnaJ

Re: How do you do it? - 02/27/06 06:48 PM

Wow, Chatty. Excellent suggestion!
Posted by: TVC15

Re: How do you do it? - 02/27/06 06:56 PM

Donna,
I do that sort of thing all the time! LOL You are not alone.
Posted by: Sherri

Re: How do you do it? - 02/28/06 08:25 AM

My husband edited my book, about three times, then I edited, then the publisher edited, then Steve edited. (Steve was free...lol)

Sherri

Re: How do you do it? - 02/27/06 10:25 PM

Thank, you one and all. I will inquire about the Boomer critique through Dotsie. I have no husband to take advantage of and the local writers group I know is only fiction. I will self-publish - spent 1 year sending proposal out with no results, so no editor will be provided. Spelling and grammar are okay and I don't want a rewrite. A run-through, critique, or editor are my options now. Thanks . . . again. Saundra
Posted by: starting over

Re: How do you do it? - 02/27/06 10:26 PM

I asked some of the ladies in my church to each take a chapter to review. I asked for complete and brutal honesty if necessary. Then I rotate chapters around so that at least 3 sets of eyes review each chapter. Once that is done I go back and reedit myself. Once I turned it into my agent (who also does editing work) she told me my piece was 'clean' and ready to submit.
hahis method has worked for me so far. Some of the ladies were worried taht they weren't 'English majors'--but I told them that they were my target readers so if they weren't sure about grammar to read it for content--if they as my target market didn't get it--I would know I had to reword sections.

I think I ended up with a pretty balanced method of review...
Posted by: Songbird

Re: How do you do it? - 02/28/06 01:23 AM

Saundra:
[Razz] You might want to check with Dian at www.handsforhope.com.
[Cool] She is a BWS member and has a profesional writing, editing and book reviewing service.
Starting over and Chatty's sugestions are an option too.
Here's wishing you the best!
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: How do you do it? - 02/28/06 01:32 AM

I've sent Saundra the informaiton about the critique circle.

Proper editing is vital. You only get one shot at agents and publishers. Your work MUST BE clean.

I think you should hire someone.

Re: How do you do it? - 02/28/06 02:03 AM

Dotsie, you are absolutely right - you only get one shot. Although no agent or publisher wants my book (oral health is a tough sell) proper editing is vital and it needs to be clean for self-publishing. I want to hire someone and probably will at a coma-inducing price. Money is always an issue. Thank you. Saundra

Re: How do you do it? - 02/28/06 03:32 AM

Saundra, do it chapter by chapter as you can afford it.

Re: How do you do it? - 03/01/06 09:58 PM

Diane, my manuscript is on its way to Nancy. She offers exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for the tip about one chapter at a time. Thanks to all of your for your suggestions. Saundra [Smile]

Re: How do you do it? - 03/01/06 10:36 PM

Nancy can pound out a lot of work in one hour and she's fun to work with too. We grew to be close friends through the editing of my manuscript and not once did she try to change the story or my way of writing. She made me a better writer and she would make me laugh at her suggestions. Like, "Great point, Dianne, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the topic!" She kept me focues or at least, tried too.

Re: How do you do it? - 03/02/06 04:03 AM

Diane, my manuscript is on its way to Nancy, and thank for the once chapter at a time tip. Thanks to everyone for your help. Saundra