Book reveiws?

Posted by: Dotsie

Book reveiws? - 08/15/06 07:55 PM

I would like to know what one would want to be paid to read and write book reviews. Any thoughts? Books are delivered to your door, you read it, then write a review and keep the book.
Posted by: starting over

Re: Book reveiws? - 08/15/06 09:03 PM

Dotsie, you know me, always looking for ways to make extra $$. I'd like to throw my hat in the ring!
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Book reveiws? - 08/16/06 02:01 AM

I write book reviews for Long Ridge Writers Group. I also do them for the Boomer women whose books I buy and read but for free. If I were to charge a fee and be able to keep the book I think .03 cents a page would be affordable and fair.

Re: Book reveiws? - 08/16/06 04:04 PM

Okay, three cents a page. Any other ideas for what it's worth?
Posted by: starting over

Re: Book reveiws? - 08/16/06 08:12 PM

Dotsie,

I went out to the internet and pulled the following info from WritersMarket.com:

Summaries for book clubs/catalogues: $20 low, $40 mid- range, $75 high/hour.
Book summaries for book clubs: $50-100/book.

So I think the quoted 3 cents a page is within reason. I can work for that pricing too.

Patti

Re: Book reveiws? - 08/17/06 12:03 AM

Just ask me ladies I researched this many years ago and have been sucessfully doing it since then. Some reviewers get greedy trying to get rich on one customer, not me. Be fair wih your price and you'll be busy all the time.
Posted by: Princess Lenora

Re: Book reveiws? - 08/17/06 01:31 AM

This was basically my question on the topic "Get Paid to Read?" I would like to proof read, edit, and get paid to do reviews. Chatty, how do you go about getting customers? You said "you'll be busy all the time." Also, I wouldn't expect to be paid to review a boomer sister book, nor have I paid anyone to review my book. But I like writing reviews, and would certainly love to make money on it. I got the guidelines for reviewing for Midwest Book Review, and they don't pay. How do you make that money happen?
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: Book reveiws? - 08/17/06 05:26 AM

At 3 cents a page, you'd have to read 667 pages an hour to make $20/hour. A 250-page book which paid you $50 would mean you got 20 cents/page.

Re: Book reveiws? - 08/17/06 06:43 PM

Interesting ladies. Thanks for this information. I appreciate it.

Re: Book reveiws? - 08/17/06 09:32 PM

For book reviewing I imagine one could charge whatever they could get someone to pay....Many of you may remember when I began my Real Estate paperwork business operating only in Las Vegas, I was very open and helpful to anyone asking me how to do it too. I gave many of you the complete strategy and full instructions of how to begin as you would not be competition for me....With the editing business its different as every editor everywhere is competition. I had many hits and misses in the beginning before testing my ideas and struggling to find my way, no one helped me and I understood. I charge a competitive fee that will help new writers and even though it is below the average fee charged, I still make a decent amount from each writer and don't gouge them. The writer receives the same results no matter what they pay, a manuscript thats ready for a publisher. Unlike my eagerness to help anyone in the RE business venture the editing business is different as every editor everywhere is competition. I struggled and found the way without any help from anyone, anywhere, and I bet you can all do the same, its really not that difficult. Sorry!

Re: Book reveiws? - 08/20/06 12:56 AM

Hi Chatty, it's awesome that you were able to find your way in the field of freelance editing. You are one strong, wise, and wonderful woman! Congratulations on making a go of it! You epitomize this quote: "Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for, but something to be achieved." You are achieving, ever evolving! L

Re: Book reveiws? - 08/21/06 12:23 AM

It is my nature whether good or bad, to help anyone asking and since making my previous post I have felt uncomfortable to say the least. If we still could I would have deleted it but as it is thats not an option. First for those interested, I had an idea, I asked my good friend Janis (Smilinize)for her expert help in setting up a website for me, which she selflessly did. Then I designed a brief but exact foil business card which I ordered from an inexpensive catalog. I checked out via phone books, library magazines etc. every writing group I could fine and sent them my business cards with a brief note asking they pass them out to their writers. I post a card wherever I can. I also have gotten my little one line add in any, all adult park/resort here in town, as many older writers have marvelous storys but can't write and need a ghost writer. As to educating myself I have never stopped studying books on grammar, punctuation etc. plus my MA and BA are in Literature and English...I just received a phone call Friday from a local man who wrote and sang the theme song from Vegas Vacation with Chevy Chase. I am meeting with him Thursday for lunch, (hey a girl has to eat) and he wants to discuss lyrics he has written for 200 songs before putting them in some type of music book. Not sure why he needs a ghost writer but you can be sure I will know Thursday. I guess what I am trying to say is, "leave no stone unturned," get on your horse and make it happen. If I can begin a whole new career at my age, hell anybody can... Lynnie thank you from the bottom of my heart for your comment.

Re: Book reveiws? - 08/24/06 03:21 PM

Chatty, thanks for sharing some of the ways you have promoted your new career. I am so proud of you, and I admire you so very much. Who(m) ever you write for as a ghost writer, they can rest assured that not only do you have the education to do so, but also the life experience. Whatever it is, you can relate. You have the empathy and skills to do this career. P.S. I have lots to do in the next couple of weeks, so I won't be able to visit the board. But I will be back when I don't have company, and so much to do! L, L