First Chapters competition

Posted by: dejavu

First Chapters competition - 02/16/07 01:49 PM

Over at Gather.com, there's a "First Chapters" competition that is touted to be similar to American Idol. Millions will enter (okay, hundreds), one will win - a contract with Simon & Shuster. And even if you don't win, you'll get readers' comments to consider.

I've entered the first chapter of my novel, And the Day After That, which you can read here: http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.jsp?articleId=281474976911360

However, if you wish to vote or comment, you have to join Gather.com (it's free). It's a general sort of meeting place message board where you can post your own writing (non-competition) whether it's fiction or simply opinion.

I hope you'll at least consider reading my chapter, even if you don't vote. I'm really interested in reader feedback.
Posted by: Dianne

Re: First Chapters competition - 02/16/07 04:22 PM

One word: WOW!!!!!!! I really mean that too.

Re: First Chapters competition - 02/16/07 09:25 PM

Thanks, Dianne!
Posted by: Anno

Re: First Chapters competition - 02/16/07 10:14 PM

Whoa, girl, you have tremendous talent. You got me in the first sentence. Way to go!
Posted by: celtic_flame

Re: First Chapters competition - 02/18/07 01:54 PM

read some of it love i intending to go back to it....made me giggle at bits with the realness but unspocken things that happen or are the realities of life, thanks for offerring us the chance to read it, my plesure entirly
celtic
Posted by: Saundra

Re: First Chapters competition - 02/18/07 04:08 PM

Dejavu, you are a talented woman. Keep writing and remember what H.G.Wlls said, "No passion on earth, no love or hate is equal to the passion to change someone else's draft."
Posted by: Edelweiss

Re: First Chapters competition - 02/18/07 05:28 PM

My first thought was;..very smooth reading. You are definitely a big talent! Best of luck to you!

Re: First Chapters competition - 02/18/07 08:19 PM

Thanks, everyone. Saundra, I love that quote!!
Posted by: Jane_Carroll

Re: First Chapters competition - 02/18/07 10:25 PM

dejavu,

Didn't have time to read all...but really liked what I read...you are very talented...
Posted by: celtic_flame

Re: First Chapters competition - 02/18/07 11:55 PM

ooopssss i must of messed up the link or something the first time i tried, glade i din't explane what part of the storie had me giggling that would of been very embarrising...

i read one on ballet, if thats the right one now then i read till i was dune. very eligent not that i know much about writting only credentials is i can read better than i can spell..lol and still thanks for giving us the chance to read it....

I admire anyone with the guts to say heers my work what do you think.....thanks for the trust in us all

celtic

Re: First Chapters competition - 02/19/07 12:26 AM

Celtic, yes, the story about the ballet student. And thanks to everyone who has read. It takes a bit of courage to post something you've written, but much better than having it sit in a drawer!!
Posted by: Saundra

Re: First Chapters competition - 02/19/07 01:07 AM

Dejavu, it was H.G. Wells who said that. Sorry about the typo. Keep writing. I'd love to see chapter two.

Re: First Chapters competition - 02/19/07 02:27 AM

I'd love for you to see it. So here's hoping I survive into round two. The competition is going to be fierce.

Re: First Chapters competition - 02/28/07 11:06 PM

My chapter will roll off the list of chapters tonight or tomorrow (they only stay up for two weeks) so if any of you read, voted or commented, thanks! It's been an interesting experience.

If you want a last chance to read it, here's the link for as long as it lasts: http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.jsp?articleId=281474976911360
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: First Chapters competition - 03/02/07 03:58 PM

dejavu, I clicked and it said, article not available. Have you checked the link lately?