Writing Rules - really?

Posted by: gims

Writing Rules - really? - 03/05/07 03:57 AM

I'm questioning the writing rules on this site. Some of them sound old school. I'm posting the link for the fun of it... maybe even to create a good discussion of what writers use and don't use...Selekted Riting Wrules (WRITING RULES)
Posted by: Katrinka

Re: Writing Rules - really? - 03/05/07 07:07 PM

Thanks for posting this. This sounds like something my old school marm would have written. I think it's good to know "the rules," but adhering to them doesn't necessarily make good writing. In writing fiction, I break a lot of those rules. I might use truncated sentences to add suspense or to relay a character's thoughts. All those rules go out the window when writing dialogue. Just some thoughts...
Marie
Posted by: Jane_Carroll

Re: Writing Rules - really? - 03/05/07 09:09 PM

Gimster,

Cute...all rules are made to be broken...unless I make them!
Posted by: Anno

Re: Writing Rules - really? - 03/05/07 09:54 PM

I am not a writer, but noticed that you have a new avatar. Finally accepting your "given" name, are ya?

Love your posts. Love the woman behind the posts.
Posted by: gims

Re: Writing Rules - really? - 03/06/07 09:47 PM

Wasn't it clever how the person "selekting and riting" the list of "wrules" played on the rule itself.
I think a great many of them are 'old school' - aren't they old English?
I think Katrinka is right, it's acceptable to break them. Can't help but to, on some of them.
When I'm writing, I find myself trying to conform to what I was taught. And, sometimes what I've written, sounds too formal. Then I'll quoi fish through it and really mess things up. My dad claims I use way too many commas. I was taught to use one at every natural pause. Hard to break sticking to that practice for me.

Anno, how SWEET of you. Back atchya!!! I thought the image was apopros for an avator for this forum (an individual from a sig site made it for me),... what the hay, a name is only a name.