Fall's almost here...

Posted by: Di

Fall's almost here... - 09/06/14 01:28 AM

what are your favorite fall baking/cooking traditions? For me, it's...

Banana Bread
Whole Wheat Bread
Cinnamon Rolls
Chocolate Chips Bars
Butternut Squash Soup
Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

Re: Fall's almost here... - 09/06/14 08:38 PM

Yum! All of those sound delicious, Di!
I do like to bake bread, and it's always more pleasant to do that when it's not too hot outside. Then it's nice to be in the kitchen.

The butternut squash soup sounds divine. Do you start with baking the squash and proceed form there? Or do you have a short cut? I ask because I love making anything with pumpkin in it during the fall. But I cheat and use canned pumpkin.

Pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread, pumpkin pancakes... I believe I also have a recipe for a pumpkin-based casserole that I serve as a side dish.

Who else has fall favorites from the kitchen?

Re: Fall's almost here... - 09/07/14 01:59 PM

I cut the butternut in half, remove seeds, innards, then in chunks. Steam it. Then peel it. I also do all of my potatoes this way. For me, it's the only way to do them!

Re: Fall's almost here... - 09/08/14 09:37 PM

Di I thought of you when I saw this soup recipe, just now. Actually I think the post has not just the Butternut Squash Apple Soup, but a few others, as well.

Re: Fall's almost here... - 09/08/14 11:03 PM

yikes! Mine is much simpler. No apples. Just butter, onions, squash, chicken broth, cream cheese, red pepper flakes. I also put green chile in it (being from NM, one canNOT be without it!)

Re: Fall's almost here... - 09/10/14 05:00 PM

Di,I think you are saying that being as you are in the heart of the SW, red pepper flakes and green chile are the equivalent to adding salt and pepper?