If you were...

Posted by: jabber

If you were... - 07/29/15 01:23 PM

If they elected you President of the United States,
what would you do to make America Great again???? confused whistle

One thing about Trump, he can't be bought! And a second thing about Trump, he must care about the country because he certainly don't need to put himself through all this misery.
Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

Re: If you were... - 07/29/15 08:39 PM

Oh good heavens, Jabber. That is a tough question!

I have long said that I would never run for public office - especially a national one - even though I love the idea of serving my fellow inhabitants of the earth. Too many haters in the world, and too many people who would look at choices I have made in the past and question them. Even though I might believe that I made the best possible decision for the time.

Anyway, I have not been a fan of Trump. I think a lot of the stuff he's been saying is ill-informed hot air. BUT I was really surprised this morning to hear that fellow billionaire Mark Cuban - who has not seemed to be a fan of Trump in the past - make a fairly positive comment about his presidency.

According to CNN Politics, Cuban said:

The part I found most important was this:
Quote:
"I don't care what his actual positions are," Cuban wrote. "I don't care if he says the wrong thing. He says what's on his mind. He gives honest answers rather than prepared answers. This is more important than anything any candidate has done in years."

Cuban says Trump's willingness to withstand the scrutiny that comes with running for political office was admirable.

"Up until Trump announced his candidacy, the conventional wisdom was that you had to be a professional politician in order to run," Cuban wrote. "You had to have a background that was politically scrubbed. In other words, smart people who didn't live perfect lives could never run."

So: the problem with running for national office is that you never get to start from a totally clean plate. These is always going to be a hangover of "stuff" that happened before you got there, which you will be sucked into. You can't help it.

And that's - IMHO - one big reason why new and aspiring politicians generally fail to actually do the things they run on. They can't. The old quagmire trips them up.

And if I were POTUS, I guess one thing I would want to do to help make America Great again would be to put programs in place that would actively involve real people in fixing the little stuff in each of our communities. Sort of an FDR-like program, it would help get our roads and bridges fixed affordably, it would get older people working with youth, it would help people help each other.

But I'll have to think further, Jabber, about how it would work.

Re: If you were... - 08/04/15 12:32 PM

I must not be the only person impressed with Donald Trump! Indications are many others also think he's refreshing! I'm tired of "all talk" and "no action."

Re: If you were... - 08/04/15 05:42 PM

Jabber, I have been sucked into the political arena much sooner than I usually pay it any attention, simply because of the Trump factor.

I realize he is a consummate deal-maker, after all, he's written more than 6 books, the most famous being "The Art of the Deal," a book I have not read. But whose title reflects his expertise. He also co-wrote "Why We Want You to be Rich," a book I did read when it came out in 2006.

I think Americans are tired of the feeling of being held hostage by the world of politics as it has become. After all, post 2009, the last big election period, we kicked a ton of career politicians out of office, and elected a bunch of Tea Partiers, who were elected on their promises to reduce the size of government, and return conservatism to power.

Instead, IMHO, what we got was stagnancy. A stalemated system. The checks and balances that are supposed to keep our government under control aren't happening.

And meanwhile, out in Main Street, there's a politics of hatred brewing. Weekly the news media talk about another black person and/or younger person and/or cop being killed.

The death toll is so high I can no longer keep track of them. And everyone is pointing fingers.

We are no longer "the land of the free, and the home of the brave." And I don't know what will have to happen to cause us to be able to come together as a nation again...

At night these days, I watch TV shows like "The Astronauts Wives Club," and I long for the America of the 60s. The compelling scene on a recent episode, where it was announced that President Kennedy had been shot, comes to mind: The wives (many of whom had met JFK and Jackie) were stunned. They quickly said, "We need to be together during a time like this." So the screen showed a procession of the Houston-based astronaut families, trailing coolers, grills, charcoal and food, all walking down the center of the street, heading for the local park. Where they would eat together, and grieve together.

Clearly as we head into another election cycle, we Americans are AGAIN looking for something different. And at the moment, Trump seems to be able to project that "something."

Meanwhile, the "clown car" of all the rest of the Republican candidates trails behind, while these potential front-runners jockey around, trying to figure out how to get their names into the game.

The next few months will be interesting. The thing that concerns me, however, is that I am not sure ANYONE, even someone as charismatic and refreshing as Trump, can actually get anything to change in Washington. Remember: Obama ran on change, the Tea Partiers ran on change. We all want it. But it will take a very skillful politician to be able to unite all the current (in place) warring factions, and get them to work together.

It seems to be that the last time the US was able to come together an all work in a united was was after 9/11. It seems to take something that awful and evil to allow all our disparate factions to unite.

I'm not a political person. I rarely talk about politics. But even I am sickened by what is happening here in the US, and I'd love to see more discussion about how to heal America. Even though we have a rule not to talk politics here on this forum.

Anyone else willing to join the discussion, in a ladylike way? Remember, we don't want the hurt feelings that come from calling each other names... So this would need to be a civil chat.

Re: If you were... - 08/04/15 07:34 PM

IMHO we came together after 9/11 but 9/11 gave some folks' a
platform for exploitation. Case in point: Private Security Companies took hold in a big way by selling "background checks" to business owners: giving proprietors' a tool to see what sort of people they're doing business with, and/or as a way of weeding out the lowlife. Get a name. Run a check. Problem is that's only good if the information being posted is true. I believe, however, many people are unfairly flagged with tainted, sullied reputations. Citizens' freedoms are eroded, while Private Security companies are making big bucks off the backs of the innocent.

I don't like dicussing politics either but things needs to change. America is no longer free, though so many soldiers' have died or been maimed to protect this country's freedoms. I think Trump can buck the system. Nobody can buy him. He stands by his beliefs. And he doesn't need to do what he's doing. He's made an excellent life for himself and certainly doesn't need the misery of being scrutinized by 330,000,000 people!

Re: If you were... - 08/05/15 07:20 PM

Those are all good reasons to support Trump, Jabber I agree.

Me, I am still on the sidelines watching, at least until we have a few of these debates that are causing so much drama right now.

And on the Democratic side, I am waiting to see whether Hillary's issues with her private server escalate to the point that she has to withdraw. I am intrigued that Joe Biden may end up throwing his hat in as well.

The concept that he would reluctantly choose to do it because of Beau's deathbed wish certainly plays well with people's heartstrings. And I do think that he is a good man and a solid and experienced public servant.

Re: If you were... - 08/06/15 01:28 PM

I know we're on different sides of the political aisle. I'm just afraid of having more of the same if Mrs. Clinton or Mr. Biden
are elected. IMHO there needs to be a good housecleaning in the law-making bodies. Just sayin'...

Re: If you were... - 08/06/15 06:43 PM

I understand what you're saying, Jabber.

And I'm actually glad Trump is running, though I do think his candidacy has meant that other Republican candidates aren't being heard. You are right, as far as his not needing any PACs to fund his campaign. And as Mark Cuban said, he is putting himself out there, in a place where normally only politicians are willing to tread.. You have to admire him for that.

SO: Will you be watching the debates this evening?

Re: If you were... - 08/06/15 10:19 PM

Absolutely!

Re: If you were... - 08/07/15 09:49 PM

IMHO here's the order I see the GOP presidential contenders after the first debate: Donald Trump; Carly Fiorina; John Kasich; Dr. Ben Carson. I truly admire Dr. Carson and think he's an awesome person. But I also think he's too meek and mild. America needs somebody with fire in their belly. This country needs somebody to stand up for Her, defend Her and not cowtow to leaders of other countries. I want America to be "great again";
I want Her to be respected. And I want Her ideals to be revered.
What say you???

Re: If you were... - 08/10/15 08:41 PM

Per your list, I'm glad to "see" the absence of several of the men on the stage, Jabber.

As for those who remain: I respect Dr. Carson, I can see him in the role of a statesman. And I know he has to be smart, being as he's a successful neurosurgeon. Which means, that like Trump, he's an "outsider," which I know you think is needed. But I agree he is not bombastic, like Trump.

I also wonder, Jabber, whether Trump will be able to be diplomatic enough to handle some of the "meet and potatoes" parts of the job. You know, the rubber chicken dinners with boring speakers, etc.

I don't know if he will be able to earn respect from the heads of the other nations, or whether they will collectively see him as a buffoon.

Wonder what would happen were the party to end up with a "Trump Carson" ticket?

Re: If you were... - 08/11/15 01:05 PM

A Trump, Carson or Trump, Fiorina would be good, IMHO.
Anybody that doesn't respect a person who builds an empire of
over 10 Billion dollars and is the CEO of nearly 500 companies,
has their own issues. America needs leaders with courage, finesse and guts. Trump says what he thinks. I admire that.
People who say nothing and expect you to read their minds,
are not being considerate. Americans need to know where they stand and other countries need to know where America stands!
Whimpy, mamby-pamby isms don't cut it in a world where they blow people up and/or cut their heads-off for fun!

Re: If you were... - 09/02/15 09:58 PM

I'd even like a Trump/Palin ticket.

How about that Dr. Carson. He's awesome!

Re: If you were... - 09/03/15 06:37 PM

I'd say Dr. Carson is starting to gain some traction. With the actual election so far away, it's just a soap opera right now, IMHO.

Re: If you were... - 09/09/15 04:47 PM

I agree. I like Dr. Carson. But I still think America needs someone bold and brassy. Laidback and easy-going seems to get walk upon, IMHO.

Re: If you were... - 09/09/15 09:13 PM

Jabber, my biggest concern with Trump is that he will insult some major world power's leader with his "bold, brassy" behavior.

I worry that, while he is clearly a "quick learner," he just might put his foot into some steaming "stuff," and not be able to recover.

But, time will tell!

Re: If you were... - 09/09/15 10:47 PM

Well IMHO a career politican like Hillary has put her foot in steaming stuff. The current administration has it foot in some steaming stuff, from which the country may never recover. I'd rather have someone tell it like it is, than lie to the public...like the architect of Obama Care did while calling the public stupid. This country is in a mess. We need a superhero to ride in and save America or else being nice, nice is going to destroy what hundreds of thousands of lives have been given to save.

You know I think the world of you, Anne. But Trump is passionate about "Making America Great Again." And he has the moxie to do it.

Re: If you were... - 09/10/15 06:39 PM

Jabber, there's been a lot of stepping in stuff, and I would never defend Hillary for her actions. So please don't think of me as a Hillary Democrat. You would be wrong.

As you say, Trump has a lot of moxie, that is for sure. And a ton of people like him a lot, which is crucially important and congruent with what you are saying.

But Trump is a bully. What he did to Carly Fiorina yesterday is nothing but rude and awful.

He appears to insult her looks - which is just plain rude and unmannerly. And then when he gets called on it, he pleads that he didn't mean her "facial appearance," he means her "persona" - whatever he means by that. And yet the words out of his mouth were, "Look at that face."

By the way, here's EXACTLY what Wikipedia has to say as a definition of "persona:"
Quote:
A persona (plural personae or personas), in the word's everyday usage, is a social role or a character played by an actor. The word is derived from Latin, where it originally referred to a theatrical mask.[1] The Latin word probably derived from the Etruscan word "phersu", with the same meaning, and that from the Greek.

Its meaning in the latter Roman period changed to indicate a "character" of a theatrical performance or court of law, when it became apparent that different individuals could assume the same role, and legal attributes such as rights, powers, and duties followed the role. The same individuals as actors could play different roles, each with its own legal attributes, sometimes even in the same court appearance.

According to other sources, which also admit that the origin of the term is not completely clear, persona could possible be related to the latin verb per-sonare, literally: sounding through, with an obvious link to the above-mentioned theatrical mask.

Jabber, despite this, I read that Republican women continue to be totally supportive of Trump.
So you are clearly among a large and happy group of women.

Meanwhile, I, who votes as an independent, have to tell you that I don't get this behavior, and if he continues to run wild like this, I fear that if he's elected, he will say something just as rude to some head of state. And then try to do 'damage control' in he same way he is doing now.

This will not to a thing to make the United States a better place.

Re: If you were... - 09/10/15 09:51 PM

I hear what you're saying. And I understand your point of view.
But the current President, no disrepect intended, has a very
laidback manner and that's gotten the USA nowhere except walked all over. I don't think Donald J. Trump intended to say anything negative about Carly's features just her demeanor. But he's taken a lot of guff about his hair, etc. I like many of the GOP
contenders. I'm a product of my environment. Pres. Eisenhower helped my adoptive mom save the family farm when I was a kid. And that left an impression on me that's not easily shaken. And I can't tell you how grateful I am for being adopted. God and my adoptive parents saved me from total destruction. But even if not for that, America is in a mess. It needs saving. Trump can't be too stupid to have amassed over 10 Billion dollars in assets. When America is almost 20 Trillion in debt, what the heck is our government doing giving away huge sums of money to all these other countries? That's nuts!