Favorite pastime...?

Posted by: jabber

Favorite pastime...? - 04/01/16 03:08 PM

What's your favorite way of spending spare time? confused
Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

Re: Favorite pastime...? - 04/05/16 05:02 PM

It depends on how much time is available.

If we're talking days and/or weeks, I love to travel on cruise ships, but I don't much enjoy the part of the trip related to getting to the docks.

If we're just whiling away a few hours' time, I love to bake and read. But I'm starting to enjoy working out, too. Guess that's a result of all the working I've been spending prepping and rehabbing my knees. Right knee is pretty much all healed. I'm about to start on the left one.

Re: Favorite pastime...? - 04/05/16 09:37 PM

Never been on a cruise ship and would like to try it but hubby gets seasick so that's out. Don't like to cook or bake much. I try to read at least an hour a day. We walk a mile and a half everyday.
And I do an hour of exercises 5 days a week.

Are you replacing your left knee too? I admire your grit and determination.
Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

Re: Favorite pastime...? - 04/28/16 08:32 PM

Thanks, for the praise of my grit and determination, Jabber.

But in my mind, its a simple equation, compared to a life in which I can't walk the length of a cruise ship, much less walk a mile and a half a day, like you two do. Not to mention that cooking and baking require a lot of standing...

So this coming Monday morning I will get up at 4:30, leave the house by 6:30 and arrive at the hospital at 7, so I can have my second knee replacement - less than 6 months from when I did the first.

I'll be in the hospital a few days, 1 overnight up to 3, depending on how well I do with my PT rehab. Last time the surgeon said I could go home after one night, but the physical therapists wouldn't let me go until I proved to them that I could walk up /down a flight of stairs with my walker - despite the fact that I would ABSOLUTELY never choose to do that. (It's pretty precarious and scary. And requires two people...)

Instead, once I get home, I'll be going up and down stairs with my cane - as I have for the last year - until I'm healed up enough to give-up the cane.

I'm not looking forward to the first few weeks of recovery. But I did very well with it before, and expect to do so again. I think recovery is at least 50% attitude, don't you?

Besides the, we have joined the Fitness Center where I had my therapy, and we've been going 3x/week. I'll keep that up through tomorrow, then Monday is surgery day. I'm hoping the strength and balance I have gained will make this recovery go even faster.

I'll be working with PTs again by Monday afternoon, and once I'm home, a therapist will come to the house 3x/week to work with me on exercise until I am cleared to leave the house. Then I'll return to the 60 minute 3x/week therapy at the Fitness Center for a few more months.

But enough about me. Let's talk about your cruise ship comments. In my experience - and we've been on about half a dozen cruises - there's little chance for seasick on a huge cruise ship. The ships are behemoths and they're extremely stable.

The only time I really have noticed one rocking was on our Alaska cruise, the morning we woke up as we were leaving the port. There's a narrow strait to navigate, and the ship was rocking. But as we were in bed when it happened, it was much more like being rocked in a cradle. Quite soothing, actually. However, my daughter says the same thing about her husband: Steve and I had thought about taking our kids and their significant others on a cruise for our 25th anniversary. But the kids said no - to a free cruise. Hard to believe!

Re: Favorite pastime...? - 04/28/16 10:19 PM

Good luck with your 2nd surgery. Hope all goes well and you heal very, very fast.

Hubby won't go on a cruise no matter how big it is. So that isn't even the span of possibility.

God bless!