Gas Prices

Posted by: Dotsie

Gas Prices - 04/27/06 01:22 AM

I thought the price of gas was out of control in Baltimore, but this weekend I traveled to Long Island, NY and that's another story! Prices ranged from $3.25 for regular to $3.69 for high test. I couldn't beleive my eyes. How are the prices looking in your neck of the woods and how are you managing to keep paying the rising prices?
Posted by: smilinize

Re: Gas Prices - 04/27/06 01:47 AM

We have an oil well on some property we own. It was pumped dry last year, but when prices went up they re-drilled and now we're getting some nice royalty checks.

The weird thing is, I think I would rather pay less for gasoline. These rising gas prices are making me nervous. There doesn't seem to be much we can do except slow down and stay home. I hate being helpless. ??

smile

[ April 26, 2006, 06:52 PM: Message edited by: smilinize ]
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Gas Prices - 04/27/06 03:21 AM

Someone wrote a wonderful article comparing gas with the price of eggs and it really made good common sense. In a nutshell it stated that if everyone bought gas only $10.00 or less at a time it would cause the stations to have an excess so their tanks would stay full longer and they would have to cut down on their order to suppliers where then the suppliers would have an excess and would have to manufacture less and so on and so on and eventually they would HAVE to cut prices to be able to supply more to dealers who would need more because with lower prices we would fill up instead of buying less. Think about it, its a fantastic plan...
Posted by: Dancing Dolphin

Re: Gas Prices - 04/27/06 08:03 AM

I'm in Southern California, and the cheapest gas was running about $3.19 today. We're staying home more, and trying to carpool for the things we have to do with the kids.

I actually coasted (with the engine on - don't try it with it off or your steering wheel can lock up) all the way from my house down to the main highway (about 5 miles) - does coasting save gas? I thought I'd give it a try! [Smile]
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Gas Prices - 04/27/06 06:55 PM

It's around $2.89 here but last weekend I found it for $2.79 and did a happy dance. Is this what we've been reduced to? Happy to find it at nearly 2.80? I hate that we're ARE being held captive by the oil companies and salute ANYBODY who can bring us out of this.

What I do is stay home. If I have trips to town (15-20 MILES) I make sure I do ALL errands in one trip.

I cannot believe the tourist places are taking this so lightly. One would think they would be hurt the most.

JJ
Posted by: starting over

Re: Gas Prices - 04/28/06 07:49 AM

Well I stuck myself out on a limb on this subject yesterday. I was talking with the head of the board for the non-profit I work for. We are having a board meeting next week and he wanted to give me a list for the agenda. I mentioned that I haven't had a raise since I started here and still have no health insurance and since I don't make enough to live in this area I was forced to rent a plae 2 towns away--and now gas prices are going so high I am barely going to be able to afford to come to work.

I asked that the board discuss a raise (which I know they can't do--I take care of the books) OR (and I think this part is brilliant) since this is a one man office with no public traffic--move the office to my home! Then I can have internet and drive to town on one designated day a week for work. I hope something good comes out of that meeting.
Posted by: TVC15

Re: Gas Prices - 04/27/06 11:17 PM

Good luck stating over,
That sounds like a wonderful idea!
And JJ
I'm with you. I try to do all my errands at the same time and in order of distance from my home!
Gas was 2.91 this morning by my house. It's totally getting outrageous!
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Gas Prices - 04/27/06 11:30 PM

Starting Over that is brillant! They are crazy if they don't take you up on it! I found out a while ago that my oldest son bought a motorcycle yesterday. At first I freaked out (always the Mommy) but then I thought you know what? If I could, I'd get one. Then again, I drive a VW...that's almost like one. I wouldn't mind having one of those "scooters."

Anybody wanting to start a new biz that had a mini-van could drive people to work and back. Course you'd have to sell them breakfast every day to even realize a profit.

JJ
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Gas Prices - 04/28/06 01:33 AM

I live out in the country and 2 other coworkers live about 5 miles further out, yet not to fond of car pooling b/c I like to run my errands on the way home and try to keep my car parked at least one day on the weekends to conserve gas. Also, I attend night school.

However, other coworkers do car pool and some are begining to walk. I'm also conserving in other ways to offset the gas price increase: i.e., I take my drinks to work, and fill the empty bottles at work to water my plants at home; keep a small notebook w/ me to jot down items I need and purchase all at one time to alleviate having to run out again; keep air condition @ 76 degrees, and open windows at night -- keep blinds closed while at work to keep house cool for animals; switched to battery operated alarm clock and unplug all unnecessary appliances; clean house during daylight to conserve electric; alleviate use of vehicle air condition while driving home; and so forth.

If any of ya'll have other ways of saving, please do post -- I'd love to know new ways of saving!
Posted by: flossie

Re: Gas Prices - 04/28/06 04:09 AM

Gas prices at an all time high over here too, everyone is complaining how much it costs to fill their cars. Bit hard to compare our prices with yours though as we deal in metric, it's around $1.70 per litre. Apparently in the last month it has increased 24 per cent.

I don't notice it too much as we have a gas pump at our place and I just fill the car when needed, husband pays the mammoth fuel bill through his business.

It's time the big oil companies were pushed aside and some of the alternative fuels etc were introduced. (We know there are other means out there to run our vehicles!!)

Re: Gas Prices - 04/28/06 04:16 AM

Did anyone read what I posted above???? What are your feelings or are we Americans too spoiled to take a little less at a time and maybe have to gas up more often????? JJ some of the residents of the resort I live in are riding bicycles, more and more each day. Those scooters are really nice by the way...
Posted by: Dancing Dolphin

Re: Gas Prices - 04/28/06 04:40 AM

I live about 10 miles from the nearest gas station, and at $3.20 per gallon I can't afford to only put in $10 a day as you suggest, Chatty. It cost me nearly $50 to fill up my van the last time I went, and I try not to drive down there very often.

That's a good idea for some though. Although I almost feel like I should fill up every chance I get so I won't get hit for awhile with the next price jump.

Speakermom, it does get me so upset when I read about the salaries and bonuses of these oil company executives - just outrageous when we're all scrimping so we can get the kids to band practice!
Posted by: Casey

Re: Gas Prices - 04/28/06 05:08 AM

Annually, we have a bike to work day here, so I've already gotten my bike out to start building stamina -- once! LOL! I work part time in a small resort town and it is hurting. A soccer mom her is putting $76 a week in her mini-van tank -- and of course, she can't unload it now.

It's a thought about the $10 fill-up. I just hate getting gas so much, though. Waiting around with people who still don't know enough to turn off their engines....!!!

I'm really glad I traded in my mini-van six years ago! :-))

Re: Gas Prices - 04/28/06 06:56 PM

In addition to rising gas prices, Baltimore is about to be hit with a 72% increase in gas and electric! Can you imagine what that is going to do to the prices of everything?

Government officials are scampering to find ways to off-set the increase over a period of years, but no one's come up with a solution yet.

This is getting scary!

Re: Gas Prices - 04/28/06 08:23 PM

To me, there are a few things we can do. Some we do ourselves, some we make sure our elected officials take care of (or don't re-elect them!).

We know about conservation. Lower the thermostat, follow the $10 suggestion, carpool, walk, cover our windows with plastic or invest in new windows, get a blanket, etc. What one thing can you do today to conserve energy?

Second, get the fox out of the henhouse. Oil and gas companies shouldn't be creating energy policy. It's a conflict of interest. Neither should the alternative energy companies. Same problem. We've known for decades that oil and gas are finite resources, yet the fuel-efficiency standards for cars, trucks, etc. are substantially the same that they were in the mid-1970s. Why?

There's really not much we can do that's going to change pump prices or heating prices right now. If we get smarter and start thinking long-term, we may get some relief.

What do our hearts tell us? What kind of world do we want? Do we want to leave a land of strip-mining and extinct animals for our children? Do we want older folks to die because they can't get adequate heat? Do we want the gap between rich and poor to continue to increase? Who are we?

Not simple questions and they won't produce quick responses, but if we really think these things through and live our values, even if it might pinch us a little, we will be better off.

My two cents -- take what you like and leave the rest!

Re: Gas Prices - 04/29/06 04:04 AM

The electric company just had a rate hike too and my bill jumped $9.81 cents per month. I am on a budgeted plan so I pay the same every month. Now its higher, yuk!!! Now yesterday the gas company asked for a rate hike....You're so right Dotsie it is getting s scary. Where I live water is included in the space rent but my son pays a $50.00 a month water bill beside gas and electric...One of the local pawn shop owners was on TV news here and said his business has been doubling with people selling jewelry etc. to pay for gasoline. Alot of the familys here have 3 cars and this is not a place you can get around easily without a car....or magic carpet!!! [Wink]

[ April 28, 2006, 09:07 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

Re: Gas Prices - 04/30/06 07:37 AM

My son is coming home from college between his finals and and mini-mester. It will cost him $160.00 in gas to drive home and back. We're considering flying him.

Now I'm waiting for the air fares to sky rocket.

Re: Gas Prices - 04/30/06 01:20 AM

Well the planes use tons of fuel too so I wouldn't be surprised.
Posted by: Thistle Cove Farm

Re: Gas Prices - 04/30/06 05:56 AM

Gasline, like electricity, only costs when we use it. I've always tended to lump errands together when going to town but now Dave and I do errands together. I really feel for elderly folks on a *very* fixed income.

Re: Gas Prices - 04/30/06 06:15 AM

One side effect of these high gas prices is conservation of our resources. And the less gasoline we burn the better for the environment too.

Maybe we needed to combine trips and travel fewer miles all along. It's a shame gasoline prices had to reach $3 per gallon before we got inspired.

smile
Posted by: Lynn

Re: Gas Prices - 04/30/06 08:21 PM

In my new job, I bid on natural gas and fuel oil for about 50+ school districts. I work from the commodity exchange to do this. So I get up to the minute reporting on what the market is doing.

The latest is that the UN declared Iran is in violation of treaties and are considering sanctions. The large oil producing countries use their oil supply as power instead of main economy supply for thier countries. Therefore, we know Iran will react and not favorably. Natural gas dropped on Fridya by $1.00 dcth. This won't last and by Friday next week it will be up that $1. and maybe more.

The fuel oil barket is driving the natural gas market. Their is more in reserves than has been for the past decade at this time of year. We have plenty of fuel. Specualtion is driving the market sky high. Most buyers of gas on the exchange are investors aned will never see any fuel. The users (in my case the schools) only make up 20% of the purchasers on the market. So buy some gas, wait for it to go up and sell to the guy who needs the fuel, the guy who will use it in his fields or drive the kids to school etc.

Check your portfolios and see if your financial advisor -put oil in your portfolio to make a buck. Many have and this too is contributing to the rising price. The distributor is not making the money and is having the same problems we are are. The oil exectuvies are doing well and the portfolio owners are doing well.

Bio-fuels have been on the market since 1946. They are fine for all combustible engines. A bit cheaper but harder to obtain. Once we all begin to use them and demand them we will be able to get it cheaper.

Just my 2 cents.
Lynn
Posted by: lionspaaw

Re: Gas Prices - 04/30/06 08:47 PM

http://autos.msn.com/everyday/gasstations.aspx?zip=&src=Netx

Ladies - if you go to the above link and put in your zip code - it will tell you the cheapest gas prices in your area.
Posted by: almostangel

Re: Gas Prices - 04/30/06 08:55 PM

WOW ! Thanks Lion.

Re: Gas Prices - 04/30/06 08:57 PM

Terrific Lion.

Thank you.

smile
Posted by: Thistle Cove Farm

Re: Gas Prices - 05/01/06 03:06 AM

Gasoline in Venezuela costs twelve cents a gallon. It's even cheaper in other So. American countries.

I'd still rather live in the USA!

Re: Gas Prices - 05/01/06 04:31 AM

Most of the nations oil is being sucked up by China making the prices rise as well...In Venezuela I understand no one can afford to buy a car unless they're one of the rich. The middle class and the poor ride bikes, scooters and donkeys...

[ April 30, 2006, 09:33 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

Re: Gas Prices - 05/01/06 10:11 PM

One of the reasons people don't use public transportation as we should is because of time constraints. We are so busy, we don't have time to wait for a bus, train, metro, etc. Pretty sad state of affairs.
Posted by: maggie2

Re: Gas Prices - 05/02/06 03:57 AM

I live in Canada and the gas prices are just as bad here as they are in the USA. It's really expensive to fill up. I'm working out some ways I can use my vehicle less and I try to organize my trips so I get everything done at one time.

We keep our heat quite low in winter and use extra blankets. We were lucky this winter as it was fairly mild all season.
Posted by: TVC15

Re: Gas Prices - 05/02/06 05:24 PM

I live deep into a neighborhood, in order to get to any public transportation, (bus stop) I would have to walk way too far. We used to have a bus service here that picked you up right at your home but that is gone now. It cost $2.00 to go anywhere in our town (which is 50 miles large) A very good deal but I never needed it. They may still have it for the senior citizens, not sure.
It's a shame, I've only lived here 2 1/2 years and so many of the special services have disappeared in that short time. They used to come up our driveways for the weekly trash pick-up, now we have to bring it to the curb. I wouldn't mind but they are charging MORE now too!

[ May 02, 2006, 10:25 AM: Message edited by: TVC15 ]

Re: Gas Prices - 05/03/06 07:42 AM

If we were in charge, how would we want this changed? Would we keep high prices so people conserve more, yet increase public transportation? Who would pay? Would we ramp up work on alternative energy and start a PR campagn (that word doesn't look right, but you know what I mean! LOL)? Would we work with each other to find ways of saying that making a bundle on a commodities market by manipulating other's emotions may be the American way, but it's not consistent with our values? Or maybe it is?

Will we be creative in our consumption? Where do you buy your food? Can you live with seasonal food from your area? (I know this doesn't work in winter.) What about shopping? Do you pay a little more and buy from a local store which gets goods locally, or a megastore that gets stuff from China and India?

It's the choices we make every day. It's our intentions. It's our language. It's our values. All of this makes the difference.

peace
Posted by: Still Crowded

Re: Gas Prices - 05/05/06 07:30 AM

Gas is $3.09 in the Olympia area of Washington and I have a 40 minute commute each way. My boss is moving the company another two exits down the freeway, so it will be closer to an hour come fall. I can't believe I'm putting more than $30.00 for a tank of gas.

Chatty, I know it sounds like a great plan to only put ten dollars worth in at a time, but I hate pulling into a station now with a busy schedule. I can't imagine going in there three or four times a week.
Posted by: browser57

Re: Gas Prices - 05/04/06 09:23 PM

Right now, there is a station near me that is selling gas for $2.35 a gal. You would not believe the traffic. The station owner is being forced to do this because he was caught altering the pumps and shorting customers. No idea of how long this went on - nor any records - with the exception of those that used a credit card.

I remember sitting in long gas lines in the 70's and 80's. I also remember that everyone dumped their gas guzzlers and bought the dreaded Japanese cars - because of their outstanding fuel comsumption. Did we learn anything from that? Not when I look around and see 98% of all vehicles around me are SUV's. Have you actually wondered what people do in city traffic with a Hummer???

I live in the Detroit area and DH has earned his livelihood from the auto industry - that is now on it's knees wondering why Toyota is now considered one of 'the big three.'

Re: Gas Prices - 05/05/06 01:12 AM

I saw something on TV last week about a group that was making gasoline out of recycled vegetable oil for 14 cents a gallon. But they only talked about a diesel version--anybody know anything about this or where I can find out more? I checked the local news broadcasts for the story but couldn't find out anything....

Re: Gas Prices - 05/05/06 01:27 AM

Sounds a little slippery to me, "LOL" maybe like someones idea of a joke...

Re: Gas Prices - 05/05/06 02:04 AM

It's called biodiesel. There's lots on the internet about it. Many restaurants will give you the old oil for free just to take it off their hands. By adding rubbing alchohol (I think) in just a few hours you can have diesel fuel usable in any tank that has been slightly modified.

But what I haven't been able to find out is if it only works if you currently hae a diesel engine...or can any car use it.

Anybody know anything about this?
Posted by: Sherri

Re: Gas Prices - 05/05/06 02:10 AM

there are a few guys in our area who are making their own fuel. Just saw it on the news the other night.

Re: Gas Prices - 05/05/06 02:16 AM

Sherri, we aren't too far apart--I'm outside St. Louis--can you remember what station you saw it on or anything?

Re: Gas Prices - 05/05/06 08:13 AM

Some celebrity just opened a bio diesel station in California and it was a big thing on the news. Willie Nelson or somebody. I'm thinking the car would have to be diesel.
Posted by: flossie

Re: Gas Prices - 05/06/06 04:51 AM

A New Zealand man has just driven his 2 litre Corona from one end of the country to the other all on 100% used vege oil and stated that there was no difference in the vehicles power, he even has a speeding ticket to prove it!

The cost of the oil was around .50cents a litre (standard petrol is $1.70 here)

The used oil was from McDonalds!! He called it Macdiesel!! Just think, what do all the McDonalds, BKs, KFCs etc do with their used up oil?? Jolly sight easier to grow sunflowers etc than it is to drain the Earth's resources of oil and all that goes into processing and shipping it!
Posted by: boomerchar921

Re: Gas Prices - 05/06/06 07:00 AM

Gas prices are outrageous - and it's not likely they'll get any better anytime soon. If you ever wondered how we got into such a mess in the Middle East, you'll want to check out SEVENTH DAWN OF DESTINY on my ebooks site, www.tantalizingtales.com. Here's our press release telling what it's about:

CORAL SPRINGS, Florida – May 5, 2006 – Did the CIA topple the Peacock Throne? Did you ever wonder how we got into such a mess in the Middle East? Some questions that have long shadowed America’s place in history are posed and answered, at least fictionally, in SEVENTH DAWN OF DESTINY, a novel just released by e-books publisher Tantalizingtales.com.

The romantic swashbuckler, with an exciting balance of action, adventure and intrigue, follows the political awakening of American soldier Scott Fallon who is seduced by the luxurious lifestyle U.S. army officers once enjoyed there. When he falls in love with an Iranian girl, he gives American oil and arms interests and the CIA a way to force him into an assassination plot. SEVENTH DAWN OF DESTINY was written by Kathryn Fairfax with Paul R. Wineman, based on real events in his life.

TantalizingTales.com (now based in Coral Springs, FL) has also just released MORDRED AND THE KING by John Michael Curlovich. It’s a haunting fantasy-romance described as “Brokeback Mountain Goes to King Arthur’s Court.”

Curlovich, who also writes as Michael Paine, is the author of the bestselling gay novels THE BLOOD OF KINGS and BLOOD PROPHET, and popular horror novels STEEL GHOSTS and THE NIGHT SCHOOL. With this lyrical, haunting tale, he proves once again he is a gifted storyteller. It’s the first epic gay fantasy published since THE ILIAD.

Other TantalizingTales.com books have received critical acclaim from the e-books community since the site launched last October. Charlene Keel’s revamped COME SLOWLY EDEN has been favorably compared to CATCHER IN THE RYE and critics have called THE LODESTONE, a historical romance by Kathryn Fairfax, a “compelling story with characters expertly brought to life.”

Seventh Dawn of Destiny (ISBN 0-9785513-0-3)
Mordred And The King (ISBN 0-9785513-1-1)
For more information or review copies, or to submit your book for consideration:
Contact – Charlene Keel
ckeel@tantalizingtales.com
www.tantalizingtales.com
PH: 954-934-3104
Posted by: Mother Mystic

Re: Gas Prices - 05/06/06 05:44 PM

Long ago in 1938, a great man named Henry Ford created a hempmobile, a car made entirely from hemp and ran on hemp fuel. Industrial hemp grows wild, renourishes the soil and would enable this country to thumb our nose at the rest of the world and we wouldn't need to drill anywhere. I'm not talking about marijuana here, it's a different strain from the same plant. Dupont Chemical saw this as a threat to their empire and low and behold, Congress got into the act. Kentucky has a long history of industrial hemp farming and I believe their state seal has hemp stalks on it. Paper, clothing, rope and food can also be made from hemp. The Declaration of Independence was written on hemp paper.
http://www.artistictreasure.com/learnmorecleanair.html
http://www.masscann.org/hemp/
http://www.hemp4fuel.com/nontesters/hemp4fuel/resources.html
Imagine the money the US could make exporting hemp fuel!!!

peace,
Susan who drives an '87 Chevy Celebrity 'cause it starts up everyday and still runs great!

Re: Gas Prices - 05/06/06 10:53 PM

I've heard over the years there have been great inventions for getting electric cars on the streets, and cars that get 100 miles to a gallon, but big industries shut them down. I say Congress should haul those puppies out and get them into production.