Fair Tax Movement

Posted by: Daisygirl

Fair Tax Movement - 01/24/06 09:12 PM

Have any of you heard of the Fair Tax Movement? This is a very short description of the plan. It would make a very long post to describe all the details, but you can go to the Americans for Fair Taxation website to get more information, http://www.fairtaxvolunteer.org/main.html

The FairTax proposal is a comprehensive plan to replace federal income and payroll taxes, including personal, gift, estate, capital gains, alternative minimum, Social Security/Medicare, self-employment, and corporate taxes. The FairTax proposal integrates such features as a progressive national retail sales tax, dollar-for-dollar revenue replacement, and a rebate to ensure that no American pays such federal taxes up to the poverty level. Included in the FairTax plan is the repeal of the 16th Amendment to the Constitution. The FairTax allows Americans to keep 100 percent of their paychecks (minus any state income taxes), ends corporate taxes and compliance costs hidden in the retail cost of goods and services, and fully funds the federal government while fulfilling the promise of Social Security and Medicare.

The Fair Tax plan not only allow us to keep more of our hard earned money, but prevent a lot of corruption in our government. A few other countries have gone this route and been successful.

Daisygirl
Posted by: Bluebird

Re: Fair Tax Movement - 01/24/06 11:17 PM

Daisy, my brother has done extensive research on the whole tax system in this country. I thought that he had told me that the 16th. amendment was never ratified. I will check out this site.
Keeping 100% of our income and stopping gov't waste always sounds good to me!

[ January 24, 2006, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: Bluebird ]
Posted by: Sandpiper

Re: Fair Tax Movement - 01/25/06 12:48 AM

Please keep us up to date on this one Daisy.

Sandpiper

Re: Fair Tax Movement - 01/25/06 12:52 AM

Bluebird, I bet your brother is familiar with this.

If we had the Fair Tax there would be no hidden taxes. Companies would not pay taxes and would be more likely to keep their manufacturing plants and companies in the US rather than other countries.

We would pay a higher sales tax, so if we bought a car or furniture, we would pay higher tax on those items BUT we could afford to because our income would increase. It would give us control over the amount of tax we pay. If we didn't want to pay tax, we could purchase used items or nothing except the necessities.

If you approve of this plan, please contact your senator and congressperson and let them know. I understand most of them have read the Neal Boortz book which outlines the plan (even the President has it). They will not push this unless forced to because this plan would take much of their leverage and power away. This is a grassroots movement, not Democrat or Republican, that is really getting steam - together we can make a difference!

Daisygirl

[ January 24, 2006, 04:57 PM: Message edited by: Daisygirl ]

Re: Fair Tax Movement - 01/25/06 01:12 AM

Well my brother believes that it's the income tax and the social security tax that are unconstitutional. He has been trying to get the IRS to show what "law" says that he is liable for such taxes and they don't answer him. Originally, these tax codes appled to non citizens or companies that were out of the US.
Even the IRS' definition of income is not what we think!
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Fair Tax Movement - 01/25/06 01:52 AM

In Las Vegas there is NO state income tax which means you keep more of the money you earn BUT then there are a zillion fees for this and that so the state gets your money one way or the other...
Posted by: NHJackie

Re: Fair Tax Movement - 01/25/06 02:47 AM

We have no sales or income tax in NH, either. As Chatty says, they make up for it in other ways. Here its with sky-high property taxes at the town level.
Posted by: Sadie

Re: Fair Tax Movement - 01/25/06 07:15 AM

NHJackie,
I bet they tax you in NH for sewer and trash tax , sometimes they make it up that way besides property tax . They will get you one way or another .
Posted by: NewLeaf

Re: Fair Tax Movement - 01/25/06 04:14 PM

It sounds good, but at the corporate level, corporations will still out source our jobs to India and Puerto Rico and Mexico. Its not just the companies that are moving out of the US. The trend is to pad the pocket books of the already insanely wealthy by training foreigners to sound like "Bob" or "Judy".
I wish something like this would help, and please enlighten me as to what regulation was lifted allowing corporations to move to other countries and send our jobs over there too.
Now, I understand Ford is closing its doors to several plants putting more people out of work.
Dell is one of the worst companies for outsourcing.
I say don't allow corporations and the wealthy to "hide" their taxes elsewhere.

Re: Fair Tax Movement - 01/25/06 04:18 PM

Daisygirl, I AM going to read the article though and give it consideration since I am one who votes for the man and not the party or the platform and not the party.

Re: Fair Tax Movement - 01/25/06 06:21 PM

We can't make companies stay in the U.S. Now they have to pay taxes, although in reality, they just charge the consumer more so we end up paying their taxes. I don't think we can stop companies moving out of the country due to the higher wages our people demand, but it will help.

This plan will make all taxes visible. The rich will pay more of their share, because they naturally purchase more and higher priced items, such as boats, cars, furniture, homes, etc. The middle class will end up paying less and the poor will pay hardly anything. It would benefit you ladies who are self-employed because you wouldn't be taxed, only for what you spend.

Let's just say a wealthy business owner moves his company to another country. He would likely pay income tax in that country, but wouldn't have to in ours. But when he purchases anything in our country, he would pay a higher amount of sales tax (I've heard 23%). He would not be able to hide his income, even if it is generated outside the U.S.

Also, illegals would have to pay sales tax on anything they purchase.

Number 5, let me know what you think about the plan. Like I said, I haven't read the book yet, but I think I'll order it today.

Daisygirl
Posted by: NHJackie

Re: Fair Tax Movement - 01/26/06 08:49 AM

Yes, we pay fees for water and sewage. We have no town trash pick-up here. People either take their trash to the local Transfew Station (the landfill closed a couple of years ago) or pay to have it picked up.

Re: Fair Tax Movement - 01/25/06 09:03 PM

Here's another way states generate revenue: traffic violations. My son had a speeding ticket and the fine was $65. By the time they added all the state "surcharges" (aka, tax) and other weird fees, the fine came to $ 106.!! So the fees were over 65% of the original fine!

Re: Fair Tax Movement - 01/26/06 12:12 AM

Guess thats one way to keep people from speeding and causing accients. I know I never drive fast at all anymore and I use to have a lead foot.

Re: Fair Tax Movement - 01/26/06 12:27 AM

Unfortunately, it doesn't stop MY son from speeding. He's had his license for 3 years and he's gotten at least 8 speeding tickets!

Re: Fair Tax Movement - 01/26/06 12:42 AM

My son did the same when he was a teenager. He was on high risk insurance for a long time. I still have a lead foot and hold my breath every time I see a cop.

The Fair Tax Plan is only for federal and not state, local or fines, permits, etc.

I just ordered the Neal Boortz book today and plan to attend a local seminar on 2/6.

Daisygirl

Re: Fair Tax Movement - 01/26/06 12:45 AM

Let us know how that book is, when you get it, Daisy. I am very interested. Also, tell us about the seminar...that's pretty soon!
Posted by: Casey

Re: Fair Tax Movement - 01/26/06 04:38 AM

It's interesting that we all tend to talk about the government as "they." I wonder if it would make a difference if we took back our government in our minds at least. "We the people" and all that.

After all, it's our trash that is picked up, our parents who get social security, our roads we drive on, our schools which educate our children, etc.

I'd like to see a tax plan that's based on a budget which is based on our values. For example, do we want to spend 10 percent of our gross national product on infrastructure (roads, etc.) and 10% on ending poverty, and the like.

Re: Fair Tax Movement - 01/26/06 05:02 AM

You're absolutely right, Casey. We are the government...or at least that's how it was set up.

Re: Fair Tax Movement - 01/26/06 08:16 AM

Ladies, IF you agree with the Fair Tax Proposal after checking it out, then please contact your congressmen and senators and let them know. That is the ONLY way we will ever get the tax code changed (to our benefit). The polititians will not want to lose their bargaining power. They need to know that if they do not vote the way the majority of their constituants desire, they will not have a job any longer.

Daisygirl
Posted by: smilinize

Re: Fair Tax Movement - 01/26/06 09:44 AM

Here's my plan.

I say we fire the entire legislature and all their aides. We fire the President and all his aides too. We televise both sides of every issue and vote by telephone to decide all issues. For those without televisions or telephones (very few btw), we would have viewing sites equipped with telephones for voting. Some issues might be regional and only those in the region would vote. In all cases, the majority would rule.

WE would hire a manager to direct the programs we approve and he would hire whoever he needs to help him within a budget voted on and set by us.

When our government was established we needed a representative form of government due to difficult travel and long distances to be traveled by horseback or on foot. But with electronic media and our extensive communications system though, we can now do it ourselves.

We would have to audit the voting process occasionally, but with the money we would save on paying the legislature and President, we could set up and maintain the system. We could cut taxation in half in 2 years and cut it more each year. And best of all, we would all have a say in what our country's future.

smile

[ January 26, 2006, 01:51 AM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

Re: Fair Tax Movement - 01/26/06 04:00 PM

Smile,
OK idea, but we could never agree on who to hire as manager. Sounds like anarchy to me.

Re: Fair Tax Movement - 01/26/06 05:02 PM

Smile, I think our system is okay. Some of the politicians do their jobs well, but the people need to let them know we expect them to represent us. I bet a very low percentage of people have actually contacted their congressman or senator to inform them of their opinion on any upcoming legislature.

Daisygirl

Re: Fair Tax Movement - 01/27/06 08:05 AM

Interesting idea, Smile! LOL! It does sound tempting now and again. Although like learning everything I need to know about all the different insurance options I'm offered, it sounds like too much work to learn everything about every issue....

Actually, I'm pretty happy with my senators and representative, particularly the latter because he (Sam Farr) is a thinking man, avoiding the nastiness that invades politics too much these days.

One of the reason our tax codes are so huge, is that they have been patchworked over time with this interest and that interest. Laws aren't eliminated, they are modified. Good for accountants, bad for us.

But the Fair Tax Law (good or bad as it may be) is a "how" solution. It's not a "why" solution. Why are there taxes? What do we want them to do for us? And what does the big picture look like? Our government is running a deficit now, in part (although not totally) due to the recent tax cuts. As a result we are borrowing more money from other countries, mortgaging our future as a country.

So Smile has a good point, what do we need our government to do? How do we want our money spent? How did a bridge to a lightly occupied island in Alaska make it into the current budget, and other programs get cut? If we send messages to our congresspersons, what is it we want them to do? And how much money do we want them to have to do it?

Interesting topic...

Re: Fair Tax Movement - 01/26/06 09:40 PM

I do maintain contact with my elected representatives (if I feel passionately about some issue that is). But if I have tell them how to vote on every issue, why not just make the decisions myself.

As to my plan, every person would probably not vote on every issue. Rather each person might have a topic that he or she would be especially passionate about and become informed enough to vote on it.

If decisions were made that the majority did not approve, we could always just call another vote and change it.

As to hiring the manager it would be decided by the majority like the CEO of a corporation. And if he or she didn't do a good job, we could just fire them.

5, you are right it would be anarchy, a revolution much like the one that founded this country in the first place.

I doubt I'll ever see it in my lifetime, but I see no reason for a representative form of government now that we are all connected electronically.

I say we kick out the politicians and make this a true government of the people, for the people and by the people!

Boy I'm sounding more like a politician all the time! Whooeeeee.

smile

[ January 26, 2006, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

Re: Fair Tax Movement - 01/27/06 02:24 AM

Except that a CEO isn't elected by the majority, but by a board of directors. And you don't get rid of them without paying a lot of money. LOL!
Posted by: merryclicker

Re: Fair Tax Movement - 01/28/06 09:22 PM

The Fair Tax sounds good to me, but just telling congressmen/women may not get us far. How do we ever know if they even read our letters? And the Fair Tax would affect them too, by taxing them more. But the idea of not taxing investments, I like that. I'd save more. And wouldn't it be nice if we could get a State Fair Tax system? One Tax, same in each state. Then it would be a competition to see which state could do the best with the money it "makes." And the Fair Tax (from what I've read online) would cover Social Security easily. Filing taxes would be a snap!

Re: Fair Tax Movement - 01/28/06 10:58 PM

Who's going to select the board of directors? Just as in politics, it would be the people with the biggest mouths and the most money, the biggest Bsh****ers.
Sounds like gameboy politics to me. Perhaps we could also, all of us, just sit down and come up with a great idea that we could all agree on too while we're at it? Not likely and it is a fantasy to think that the majority could or would ever either take back or gain control of that magnitude. Also, computers are way too easy to manipulate and identities can be stolen, could be a hacker's paradise, too too much room for error. But if you have nothing better to do, its nice daydreaming material.

Re: Fair Tax Movement - 01/28/06 11:01 PM

Because politicians are so self serving and most don't really care what their constituents want, how about term limits??!! I for one would love to see Robert (KKK) Byrd or Ted Kennedy bite the dust.

Re: Fair Tax Movement - 01/28/06 11:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Casey:
Except that a CEO isn't elected by the majority, but by a board of directors. And you don't get rid of them without paying a lot of money. LOL!

There would be no board of directors. As taxpayers we would also be the stockholders and we would make all the decisions. I'm for eliminating all the middle men. It's far too easy to make decisions to spend someone else's money. If it was our money, we might be more careful about squandering it on bridges to nowhere and other idiotic frivoliites.

If it turned out that the jobs had all gone to the biggest BSers, we could just fire them and start over.

Hey, it wouldn't be easy, but it's an option.

smile

Re: Fair Tax Movement - 01/29/06 03:23 AM

I've always said TERM LIMITS on ALL jobs political as such should be levied and enforced then perhaps these so called public servants and the like would be better at what they do, would care more and could be held accountable by not being re-elected. Heck we limit the Presidents term so why not the rest of them? Ane NO MORE salary until their deaths either, once you're out of office/job then you go on SS like the rest of us peons....whats fair is fair.

Re: Fair Tax Movement - 01/29/06 04:39 AM

For sure.

That's something else about government by telephone. We would get to decide how much to pay the people to run the government. Tht would put a stop to the way the congress raises their salaries and expects us to pay for it. And they might get a retirement bonus if they did a really great job, but it would be up to us. They should all have to try to live on the SS that the rest of us have to look forward to only if it has not been squandered by irresponsible politicians

Politics was never intended to be a career. It was originally designed to be a service.

smile

Re: Fair Tax Movement - 01/30/06 01:03 AM

We have records of how our Congressmen and Senators vote. We do have the opportunity to vote in a different one if we're not satisfied with their voting record. It's not a lifetime job unless we keep voting them back in office.

A friend just got a new job with a company that sells subscriptions to a service that keeps track of all the bills and who votes and how. It is supposedly non-partisan.

I believe they do read our letters and at least keep track of how many are for and against a bill. One Democrat senator is refusing to go along with the rest in the Alito hearings because he said he is doing what his constituents have asked him to do. That's how it should be.

Daisygirl

Re: Fair Tax Movement - 01/30/06 01:30 AM

Constituents are only one of many forces tugging at our elected representatives. Most of the others have more direct impact. There's the party, lobbyists, corporate campaign finance, the media, and pollsters, all with more immediate access which gives them greater influence. It is far too easy for the wishes of the constituent to get lost in the fray.

I wish I felt more positive about our elected representatives. I'm sure not all are corrupt, but it seems that far too many get power drunk and change for the worst once elected. Term limits might help, but it could also result in replacing bad with worse.

My government by telephone idea is really sort of tongue in cheek, but it would certainly give us more authority over our own destiny. Of course with authority comes responsibility and I'm not sure everyone is willing to tak that on. It is easier to blame the politicians for poor judgement than to make our own decisions.

But even as a threat, it might frighten some career politicans into compliance with the wishes of their consitiuents. It's time they understand they work for US.

I should write a play about that. ??

smile

[ January 29, 2006, 05:36 PM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

Re: Fair Tax Movement - 01/30/06 04:10 PM

It probably won't happen, but if the majority of Americans went to the polls and voted for a Ralph Nader, for instance instead of the two candidates forced upon us by the two predominate parties, what a message THAT would send...
I lived in Texas during the "reign" of ...sorry, having a senior moment...independent who ran and actually had some followers for a while...what was his name?? I knew what he was all about, and just couldn't vote for him. However, Ralph Nader had some viable points and seemed to know just what it would take to get the job done. (he did look way too much like Mr. Rodgers though).
I have a whimsical idea...do you think we could put a sack over the heads of the candidates until they are elected? I'm sorry, but I couldn't have stood 4 years of having to look at Kerry or Nader in the press every day. Clinton and Bush are bad enough and 4 yrs. of Hillary would be impossible! LOL
Case in point of how we are so molded by the media and how someone is presented to us. The press can make or break a candidate. Just as in the real estate business where curb appeal can make or break a sale.
Just look at magazines like the Enquirer or People or US. Take one look at Britney Spears cottage cheese thighs and she's not the diva anymore. Read about Chelsea Clinton's abortion or tragic love affair and desperation in private life, and the parenthood of the CLinton's is gravely questioned. Some of us wonder, if they can't successfully parent their only child, how can they run a country with compassion and wisdom.
We are greatly impacted by the media even to who we will vote for. If a third party candidate got as much air time or as biased press as one or both predominate parties, we might be swayed to vote for them.
Posted by: ladybug

Re: Fair Tax Movement - 01/30/06 06:33 PM

In fairness to parents everywhere, should the Clintons quality of parenting be questioned when their adult daughter living on her own makes some bad choices? Can a parent be held responsbile for everything their child does when they move out and are on their own?

Sorry, I know it's off the topic entirely.

Re: Fair Tax Movement - 01/31/06 01:18 AM

Absolutely not! Thank goodness! But her troubles started well before she moved out on her own. Because of the troubles I have experienced with my own daughter, I have followed the children of the presidential families and the governors' families.
Even in our own state, our governor Bush and his wife have had problems with their daughter taking Xanax and getting it fraudulently without a prescription.
These things do happen, but when they begin while still under parental influence it calls to attention, at least in me, the ability of the parents to rule and govern the larger population.
I think politicians aren't exempt from the same exemplary lifestyle that is expected from others in positions of power and influence such as entertainers and ministers/priests.

Re: Fair Tax Movement - 01/31/06 02:19 AM

I'm cool with that Number5.

Re: Fair Tax Movement - 01/31/06 03:23 AM

I think perhaps we are forgetting something here. The children of famous people, political or otherwise also see what their parents do and hear alot about them in the media. I believe some behave as their peers while others like many of our own children do as they please. Kids are kids no matter who the parents are BUT it is ALL parents responsibily to lead by example, good example, no matter who they are.

Re: Fair Tax Movement - 01/31/06 05:05 AM

I totally agree with you Chatty but we are talking about a young woman who is an adult and not a child living at home.

Re: Fair Tax Movement - 01/31/06 05:53 AM

She lived at home during her formative years did she not???? I rest my case.

Re: Fair Tax Movement - 01/31/06 07:43 AM

I think it is something we all forget now and again -- children are watching and observing and absorbing what we do ALL the time. It's not everything in how a child turns out, but it is a significant part of their makeup. It's almost like they learn what's o.k. and what's not o.k. If they see their parents acting poorly, they think, at some level, that that is o.k.

Re: Fair Tax Movement - 01/31/06 05:34 PM

Then are we saying that all the parents who have posted problems with their adult children here haven't done a good job? I know it's not how I feel. If an adult woman gets pregnant and aborts her child is her upbringing really at fault? If she chooses an unsavory profession or steals or does drugs as an adult is it really her upbringing? Her parents didn't tell her to do it and she likely knows her parents won't approve of her behavior but chooses to do it anyway. I've known several examples of children being raised in loving homes with strong moral values and religion who grew up and became very bad adults. Should the parents be held responsible for the choices these adults make?

Re: Fair Tax Movement - 01/31/06 06:56 PM

Please forgive me if I left that impression. I certainly can't speak for every parent, just for myself. I will have to live for the rest of my life with the knowledge that I failed my youngest daughter when she was still at home with me.
When she was 11 she was diagnosed with clinical depression with suicidal ideation. She went into the mental ward of a local hospital and was put on trazadone, buspar and zoloft.
My little baby who we lovingly called our little "Ewok" because of her big round blue eyes. When I discovered a back pack filled with used pads and asked her about it, she told me she had started her period when she was 10! A year before and hadn't told anyone because she was so terribly shy.
The kids in Christian school picked on her and said they wouldn't be her friend unless she gave them her lunch or lunch money. It killed me to see her suffering emotionally and I had to scramble to find out how to best help her.
I made the mistake of going into super hover, sheltering mom who was willing to give her anything she wanted to make her happy.
I bought her the most expensive clothing, hovered over her all the time, threatened the kids at her school and their parents, home schooled her, went with her to counselling, cried with her, held her, made up little games the two of us could play, tried to get her interested in music, sports, dancing, anything, even 4-H!!
Nothing brought her happiness and joy. I thought I would die during these many many years. I love her so very much! I would give my life for her and in many ways, I have. What do parents do when they have a child with MS or MD or cancer? I feared losing her so much that I did. I didn't impose boundaries on her as she grew into a teen. I left the other two daughters to themselves way too much and they turned out great.
So I've learned a lot and wouldn't repeat my behavior again, not would I run for office. I own my mistakes and am reminded of them every day of my life. But, I wouldn't and couldn't run for office.

Re: Fair Tax Movement - 01/31/06 06:59 PM

Having your father make such as a** of himself and a fool of her mother in front of the entire country must've had some negative effect on Chelsea. However, if she did have an abortion, how is that a bad thing if her parents and the entire Democratic party say abortion is no problem? And since when does ending a relationship and having a broken heart make you a bad person? I never did see anything written about this on Chelsea but from the info from Number 5 I have this to say: Geesh, the papparazzi is brutal - on one hand the liberal press wants legal abortion and on the other, they skewer a young woman who has one.

I think we should take responsibility for some of the issues our children have, especially if we have addictions, end up with bad men, or behave immorally. It doesn't mean we're bad parents, just not perfect. I acknowledged to my son that I now see how I could have been a better mom, but his response was "Don't ever say that again, you were the best parents of any of my friends." He will understand when his son grows up.

Daisygirl

Re: Fair Tax Movement - 01/31/06 07:09 PM

Number 5, I posted immediately after you, and just want to say that many of us look back with regret at some of the things we did wrong when raising our children. It's very likely that your daughter would've done the same no matter what you did, so don't beat yourself up for it. I hope you will forgive yourself.

I heard of a study years ago of inner-city kids and what made some, even siblings raised in the same house, rise above their circumstances and others get involved in drugs and gangs. They determined that there is such a thing as a survival gene. Some have it and some don't.

Again, we certainly changed the subject. It would be very interesting to have dinner and a couple of glasses of Pinot with you ladies! I bet we could solve many of the world's problems!

Daisygirl
Posted by: Sadie

Re: Fair Tax Movement - 01/31/06 09:11 PM

You know number5 we do the best we can with our children , they did not come with a manuel of how do raise them or keep them from bad friends . We had baby books on how to take care of them . We do the best we can and hope for the best . What is the old saying when they start to walk the walk away from you and they just keep going they don't walk toward us . Sometimes kids do give us a hard time ( I have been there) . As long as they know they are loved and you are there for then and to liston to them they will come back to you .

I have more to say , but will stop for now. I hope this helps too.

Re: Fair Tax Movement - 02/01/06 03:54 AM

All we can do as parents is the best we can do. We can instill the best morals and principles in our kids and pray alot..."NO" Ladybug, no one is blaming anyone for how their child turned out. But truth is truth and a good foundation helps when these kids are faced with their peers in the outside world. Some parents are partly to blame because of their own lack of moral character but I haven't seen any of that in here from anyone. Do we make mistakes, yes we do and will continue to make them, we are only human after all...

Re: Fair Tax Movement - 02/01/06 05:37 AM

I know Chatty, I cleared that up in a PM. [Wink]

[ January 31, 2006, 11:38 PM: Message edited by: ladybug ]