Been to a Family Reunion Lately?

Posted by: Dancing Dolphin

Been to a Family Reunion Lately? - 08/03/10 02:52 PM

I just got back from a family reunion in Oregon. There were 27 of us, from my husband's side of the family. It was a really nice time with no drama, which was great because that can happen occasionally.

My hubby has 4 siblings, all were there. His dad was there as well - 87 years old. Then the kids, and now 2 grandkids with another on the way. My 2 boys weren't able to make it, plus just a couple others.

My SIL has 10 acres with a pool, so there was plenty of room to roam or relax. The sisters had made up a list of teams for who was on meal prep and cleanup. Worked out great, since there were so many of us. All I had to do was help with prep Friday night, then help with clean up Saturday night. We were there for 3 full days.

My niece made up matching tie-dye shirts for all of us, white with green and orange – colors of the Irish flag. We took lots of photos; I’ll upload a few when I get time – might not be until this weekend. We didn’t do any organized games or activities, other than meal times for 3 dinners and 1 breakfast. Lunch was leftovers or on your own. There was horseshoes, swimming, but mostly lounging. I read an entire book, which was wonderful.

Have you attended a family reunion lately? With smaller families and people moving farther away, it seems like they aren’t the same as they used to be. We had a huge one every 2 years when I was a kid, but the older folks have passed away and the aunts and uncles don’t talk anymore and the cousins rarely communicate.

Tell me about your experience with family reunions!
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Been to a Family Reunion Lately? - 08/03/10 05:38 PM

Sounds like a great time. Now that's a long family reunion.

The only family reunions I've been to lately are funerals and one wedding.

Seems as though just getting my siblings and all our children together is reunion enough these days. This happens on Thanksgiving only. Everyone tries to make Thanksgiving.

Where did all of you stay?
Posted by: Dancing Dolphin

Re: Been to a Family Reunion Lately? - 08/03/10 06:12 PM

My SIL kids and their kids stayed at her house. Another SIL rented a vacation home nearby and is staying for a week. Her kids stayed with her. We stayed in a nearby motel. I really like having my own little place to retreat to when necessary. My BIL stayed in my sister's little camping trailer.

My side of the family just wouldn't be able to pull off much a reunion nowadays. My mom doesn't talk to her sister, so that lets her and my cousins out. Her brother is ill and can't travel (he's in Missourie) but no one likes his wife anyway. smile My dad is gone and he only has one sister left; her and that side of the family is on the east coast and we don't know most of them very well.

I only have two brothers and we each have 2 kids and no grandkids yet. Would be a small reunion!
Posted by: Edelweiss2

Re: Been to a Family Reunion Lately? - 08/03/10 07:27 PM

Our family is so small we meet under a magnifying glass. Lol lol

My DIL has a huge family, and they have about two family reunions a year. We have a ball with them, because many are very musical. Every reunion ends up with us singing till in the wee morning hours.

Other than that, I have only my mom and brother. Oh yes two cousins, who I hardly ever see, and of course my own sons. I’ve invited my cousins several times to parties we have had. But the distance is great, and those times are few and far in between.

DD, You read an entire book at a family union? I don’t think that could happen to me. I gab and gab and gab…have you noticed?
Posted by: orchid

Re: Been to a Family Reunion Lately? - 08/03/10 09:25 PM

Well, it's not exactly a family reunion..just a huge family gathering since I have 5 siblings.

Last time it was 21 people. Unfortunately my last visit to Ontario was not the best time to pull people together from jobs, etc.

Just in my family with their partners, children it is now 22 people. I am the only person that lives on west coast. If I include cousins and their children, spouses, I believe the figure is over 80 people.

That is just within Metro Toronto.

So the REAL family reunion, probably occurred when people attended my youngest sister's wedding a few years ago. The problem is at a wedding it's hard to talk to everyone because of seating arrangements, etc.

But that's good enough for our extended family...it's a real mixed bag because there are several interracial marriages, interracial children, plus recent immigrant relatives who can't speak English and then some Chinese blood kids who can't speak Chinese at all. (like some of my nieces and nephews)

Get it? laugh It's all one mixed up crazy family! Welcome to my world...it is genuinely linguistically, culturally and racially mixed.

Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

Re: Been to a Family Reunion Lately? - 08/09/10 01:09 AM

We don't get together like that in my family, which is sad. And my husband's family used to be really close, which I loved. But after his mother and oldest sister died, things have gone downhill with our get-togethers. Steve and I didn't even attend the Holmes Thanksgiving reunion this past year... Sad!!
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Been to a Family Reunion Lately? - 08/09/10 07:37 PM

Wew had one so many years ago I can't remember when it was. Haven't seen my sisyters, brother or mom for 19 years. NO one3 wants to fly or spend the time together I guess. I am just as bad but I have a real problem flying. I don't mind the actual plane but get anxiety attacks so bad in the airports it is debilitating.
Posted by: Anno

Re: Been to a Family Reunion Lately? - 08/10/10 06:52 PM

how about a train?
Posted by: jabber

Re: Been to a Family Reunion Lately? - 08/18/10 12:54 PM

When I was a kid, my adoptive folks always had family reunions.
It seemed hundreds attended the County Park cookouts. Then when
my grandparents and parents went to be with the Lord, family reunions died with 'em. Haven't been to a reunion in decades.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Been to a Family Reunion Lately? - 09/03/10 02:05 AM

I woulde love to gather all of my living relatives for one last big party together but it isn't going to happen, sigh!!!

Re: Been to a Family Reunion Lately? - 09/04/10 01:08 PM

My adoptive parents had a huge party, like 200 people inside a
local fire hall, when they got to the end of their lives. It was an awesome celebration of family and acquaintances. They hired a band and had a catered, sit-down dinner. These folks' were really ahead of the intelligence curve! Gotta love it!
smirk
Posted by: yonuh

Re: Been to a Family Reunion Lately? - 09/04/10 02:27 PM

The last time we were all together was a special celebration for my mom's 80th birthday. Both my kids, their wives and their kids came out here. My brother has sort of divorced himself from the family, which is a shame. But we still had a good time, and mom got to meet her great grandchildren. With all of us scattered all over the country (world, if you count cousins) it's hard to get everybody together. But then I guess when everybody lived closer, there was no need for family reunions. I'm glad some of you had the chance to get together; it sounds like fun.

Re: Been to a Family Reunion Lately? - 09/07/10 03:49 PM

I love it, yonuh; "When everybody lived closer there was no
need for family reunions." That's cute! The thing is, my adoptive
family is huge, live in the same area, and still don't see
or visit each other. A couple generations back, people took time
to enjoy family. That doesn't seem to be the case of late;
fellowship for sake of enjoying other people feels like a lost
art!
Posted by: Sandpiper

Re: Been to a Family Reunion Lately? - 09/08/10 04:37 AM

How lovely that you all were able to get together for a family reunion. Two years ago my mothers family reunion, after 60 years, disbanded due to lack of interest. I think that is so sad. There are so many cousins, relatives that don't really knwo each other and those ties need to be developed, not cut.

My sister and I are trying to get a reunion together with some cousins from one of my dad's brothers. There are 10 children in that family and 6 in mine. We visited lots as kids and have kept in contact somewhat. We've talked and are trying to get one together.

I think it's so important to hold on to family ties in this world. I hope all of your's were wonderful.

Re: Been to a Family Reunion Lately? - 09/08/10 12:45 PM

Sandpiper,
Good to read your post, here. With a twin, it has to be really joyful to get together with kinfolk. I'm thinking your family has a special bond, due to what I read in your precious book, Kaleidoscope Memories. Your family sounds special to me. And I'm glad you have such tight bonds. That's wonderful. Prayers and blessings,