Your age- Learning to ride a bike

Posted by: orchid

Your age- Learning to ride a bike - 09/12/10 03:48 PM

At what age did you learn to ride a bike?

Even mention if you don't know how to ride a bike.

I learned at age 11.
Posted by: yonuh

Re: Your age- Learning to ride a bike - 09/12/10 04:12 PM

I never had a bike growing up as I was a GIRL! My brother got one but wouldn't let me near it. I learned to ride at well over 40 when my partner bought me a bike and helped me learn. I'm not steady enough to ride much except on flat road with no traffic. I don't even do corners well!
Posted by: orchid

Re: Your age- Learning to ride a bike - 09/13/10 05:17 AM

Yay, yonuh!
I found out about another woman who learned to cycle at 50 ..only 9 months ago. During that time, she lost over 25 lbs. Bought 2 bikes. Plans to go touring. She does a huge chunk of riding on her own..because the reality is that it can be complicated to find a regular cycling friend.

This thread elsewhere indicates some older women learning to cycle for lst time, at mid-life:

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?p=534211#post534211

Keep at it. smile
Posted by: jabber

Re: Your age- Learning to ride a bike - 09/23/10 01:49 PM

I learned to ride a bike at about age 9; I still can see my
adoptive dad running behind me, holding that two-wheeler up, till I had my balance. I turned to see if he was there but he'd let go. Our homestead had a large, U shape driveway. Vehicles entered from the road, driving either passed the house on the east, or the barn on the west. Those outlets connected with a drive paralleling the backyard creek. That end bypass is where dad taught me to ride.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Your age- Learning to ride a bike - 10/03/10 09:29 AM

I was 7 but the bike I was riding was tall and flimsy, a 26 inch so it tipped over easily. I spent more time on the ground than on the bike itself.