I'm going to Ireland!!

Posted by: Dancing Dolphin

I'm going to Ireland!! - 03/02/08 06:47 PM

Whoo-hoo! That's right, Ireland for 7 days/6 nights this July. And maybe a few days in New York prior to heading across the Atlantic.

My father-in-law (age 84) came to the US from Ireland when he was in his early 20's, and he has family there. We've tried to convince him to go for years, and he finally agreed.

There will be a group of 14 of us! Yikes! All 5 of the kids with their spouses, my FIL, and random teenagers. Fortunately, we all get along well.

We'll be in Adare, which is in the southwest part in Limerick County. Celtic - I know you're in the north- do you think there's a chance we could see each other?

Our package (for 14) gives us 3 rental cars and 3 (3-bedroom) condos, and airfare. It was tough to come up with the funds, and it's non-refundable, so it's scary.... but I'm getting excited now that we've confirmed everything.

Has anyone been? Tips on places to see, things to do, would be appreciated.

Kathy
Posted by: yonuh

Re: I'm going to Ireland!! - 03/02/08 06:58 PM

How fantastic! What a logistical coup to pull that off! You'll have a great time, I'm sure.

Re: I'm going to Ireland!! - 03/02/08 07:13 PM

It was a logistical coup and must have been meant to be. My brother-in-law sent an email to everyone with a link to the package, and just said "Anyone want to go?".

Well everyone jumped on the bandwagon and we can't believe everyone is available the same dates. If we had planned this more, I imagine it would have been over analyzed and might not have pulled together. As it was, I didn't even look at the map or the condo info until after it was booked. (There was a 2-29 deadline). That's how fast it all came down, and that's not like me at all. But I'm glad it worked out and we're very happy with the condo/location in the town of Adare.

Kathy
Posted by: gims

Re: I'm going to Ireland!! - 03/02/08 08:05 PM

HOW EXCITING!
I hope you all have the time of your lives!
Did your b-n-l do any research before sending the email?

Re: I'm going to Ireland!! - 03/02/08 08:07 PM

My BIL went to Ireland last year, so I guess we kind of trusted him. He checked it very briefly, but we all got a little lucky. Looks like a good package, especially with the value (or NO value) of the dollar right now.

It's my understanding we'll have to take LOTS of spending money due to the value of the dollar. Things could cost up to twice as much, ex: a $5 burger here will cost about $10 there.
Posted by: Anno

Re: I'm going to Ireland!! - 03/02/08 10:10 PM

Ah, as a traveler, I am envious. As a friend, I only wish you great travels.

Get a travel book or two and read. Even if your BIL was there, you will want to have many of your own ideas.

Don't worry about the dollar - it's just plain bad. If you are in condos, you could make a few meals. One of my favorite parts of visiting other countries is visiting the grocery store. Find out the specialties and indulge (Cheese and Guiness come to mind).

One of my favorite travel tips is to take an empty duffle bag - pack it in your luggage - and you will have room to pack all the goodies that you purchase. The duffle bag easily fills with soft, dirty clothes.

Ooops, you didn't ask, did you? Sorry, the word travel just gets my blood all a buzzin'.

I am soooooo excited for you.

oh, and JJ was there a year or two ago......

Stop, Ann, stop
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: I'm going to Ireland!! - 03/03/08 07:06 AM

Wow Kathy! That sounds like so much fun!
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: I'm going to Ireland!! - 03/03/08 01:48 PM

Kathy,
Be prepared to fall in love. With the country, the people, the history. I was there two summers ago and the $ wasn't any better but I will tell you now, the food was the least expense we had. No joke. You can go into just about any pub and get their OUT OF THIS WORLD soup and brown bread for lunches and it was dirt cheap. Throw in a couple of beers with that, and it was the same as any fast food place around here. I'm not a fan of the dark beer, but there was one called...ah...hmm....can't remember...I'll have to ask my traveling buddy. I'll get back to you on it. You can't get it here, it is a light beer and girl, it is DELISH! Now you didn't say WHEN you are going.

The duffel bag trick is a great one. You'll need it unless you buy Waterford Chrystal or something...and then they'll mail it home for you.

I drove over 1,000 miles and had no problem at all except a couple of times where I wanted to turn out of a parking lot into the wrong side of the lane and almost got us killed. When the trip ended, they had to pry my fingers from the steering wheel...

ROUND-A-BOUTS are everywhere. EVERY-FREAKIN-WHERE. Once you go through a few hundred of them, no problem....just DON'T sit still....people talk about your ancestors when you do.

It seemed every town had a great pub, a chocolate store, and some history. I loved Ireland. Even when we got lost, we found something interesting to do. The castles are everywhere, the abby's, the sheep, and the scenery is to die for.

Scotland is my other love. I could go on and on about it. If you're planning to buy any sweaters, plan on spending around 150.00 for the cheap ones....I bought Mom a beautiful scarf for 55.00 bucks...I-ya-ya...If you're going in the summer like we did, these things MIGHT be on sale somewhere, A FEW PLACES...but it is such a touristy place, I doubt it. They love Americans...heck, the Irish love everybody. More later...JJ
Posted by: Poppie

Re: I'm going to Ireland!! - 05/06/08 08:50 PM

Wooo hooo...Kathy, this is fab news!! I am well excited for you and then the chance of meeting up. I know I am back
to London on the 21st of this may..so we can possibly start making arrangements for you to visit the north(of Ireland) at some point and meet the family.

Keep us all posted please

Slan Go Foil(means see you later!!!)

Poppie
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: I'm going to Ireland!! - 05/06/08 10:34 PM

Oh Kathy it sounds so wonderful and to think of everyone being able to go together is twice the excitement and fun. I hope you all have a fantastic time and can't wait to hear all the stories when you return.
Posted by: Poppie

Re: I'm going to Ireland!! - 05/07/08 05:16 AM

Kathy,I meant to say(in all my excitement!) that I will be in Ireland 'from'the 21st of May...till next semester, Oct 08. We, Celtic and I could possibly make a trip down south...sound like you wouldn't have time for a trip up to the North.

Keep us posted a chara(my freind in gealic)

Poppie
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: I'm going to Ireland!! - 05/07/08 07:37 AM

Great...you will love the Emerald Isle.
My Grandfather was born in the north..in Antrim.
Dublin is wonderful...if you ask directions be prepared to be accompnied to the venue..such friendship.Be aware of how green the land is...
potatoes...every variety cooked every which way..great bread but most of all the friendship..lovely lassies with blue eyes and dark dark hair..and beautiful lads..
Mountain ash

Re: I'm going to Ireland!! - 05/07/08 12:28 PM

Po, I'd love to meet you and Celtic - and of course, the wee one. He's probably not so "wee" any more! I've sent you a private message so we can try to connect. Wouldn't that be GREAT??

Mountain Ash, I married one of the handsome dark haired lads!

Kathy
Posted by: jabber

Re: I'm going to Ireland!! - 05/07/08 12:50 PM

This thread is fun to read. I've never been to Ireland but reading what jj had to say, it sure sounds great: dark beer and chocolate. Can't get better than that! Have a fantastic time. It's nice to travel in a large crowd. My adoptive mother did that when I was a kid. I love those memories! Blessings and prayers 2 Kathy and fam!
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: I'm going to Ireland!! - 05/07/08 01:29 PM

Kathy, this sounds like a dream come true for my family, meaning my Dad and sibs. Unfortuantely, we waited too long. One of my sissies and her hub went last year and called Dad from the McNamara castle (maiden name is McNamara). He as thrilled just to beo nthe phone with her while she was there. Mom always talked about all of us doing this, but our kids were too young, or some other dumb excuse. Glad to hear your family is going for it. It sounds like great fun. Can't wait to hear the stories!

Po, how are ya girl? It's great to hear your voice again. How's college? Created any great jewelry lately?
Posted by: Eagle Heart

Re: I'm going to Ireland!! - 05/10/08 01:35 PM

Kathy, this is so exciting. My brother traveled through the UK many years ago and loved it...he raved about the hospitality, the castles, the scenery (especially the beautiful women) and the beer (he also craved another helping of the steak and kidney pie, but maybe that was in England or Wales?)

I hope you have a WONDERFUL time. When we went to Europe last fall, we packed a small duffle bag in each of our suitcases and were very glad we did.
Posted by: humlan

Re: I'm going to Ireland!! - 05/12/08 03:47 PM

Kathy..I have nothing helpful to say except..it sounds like such a dream and gets me going..oooo..there´s so much I want to do..and you are doing part of it! Ireland!!! It´s just sounds so wonderful! and sharing it all with your family!!! It couldn´t get any better!!

Dreams are made of this! Memories are made of this!!
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: I'm going to Ireland!! - 05/27/08 02:46 PM

DD, how are the plans going? Do you have an itinerary? YOu gonna go spend all your winnings in one place?

Re: I'm going to Ireland!! - 05/27/08 03:27 PM

Honestly, Dotsie, I haven't taken the time to plan an itinerary yet! We are going to write down the top 3 things each of us wants to see in New York and see if we overlap on some of them. We'll only be there 3 full days.

For Ireland, we have some vague plans, but with 15 of us going I think it's best to be really flexible.

Girl, my winnings have been spent already! I put it in the pot to pay for this trip, and we just ordered new living room furniture last weekend. Do you know what happens when you get something new in your house? Everything else looks really old! So now I have to buy more things....

All in the name of boosting our troubled economy, right?
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: I'm going to Ireland!! - 05/27/08 10:06 PM

If you decide to kiss the blarney stone, just remember to put a piece of tape over your mouth first...you don't know where it's been....

and did you know you have to lay down and turn upside down to do that?
Posted by: humlan

Re: I'm going to Ireland!! - 05/28/08 08:03 PM

DancingDolphin..I am enjoying your enthusiasm and experiences so much..keep us posted!!!!!
Posted by: writegirl1949

Re: I'm going to Ireland!! - 05/29/08 09:32 PM

While I've been gone a long time from this site, I will ALWAYS comment on Ireland. While my husband and I were stationed in Germany, we visited twice ... once in the south (Dingle Peninsula area) and once in "The West" -- Sligo area.

I didn't expect to fall in love but I did ... with the landscape, with the pubs, with the people -- it was the friendliest place we visited in Europe.

It's been 3 years and I long to return someday.

Have a wonderful time ... see as much as you can but take the time for some lovely walks in the hills or along the coast.

Blessings, Francine