Pet Peeve

Posted by: unique

Pet Peeve - 02/24/05 01:57 AM

Does this bug anyone but me? When you go to the store, should the change go on the TOP of the bills, or on the BOTTOM? I have cashiered and I always put the change on the bottom so it didn't go sliding around while you are doing the hand-jive trying to keep it from flying all over. Drives me crazy!! Why do they put the change on the top? The bills go in the wallet (that's usually in your other hand, DUH) and the change goes in the pocket.Is there some kind of training rule I missed out on somewhere?Should I go back to just being peeved about SPAM? LOL. Sorry, just hadda w-h-i-n-e about this today.
Posted by: Pam Kimmell

Re: Pet Peeve - 02/24/05 02:19 AM

Actually you've made a good point. I think the WORST time for the change to be handed to you on the TOP of your bills is when you are driving through McDonalds (or wherever) in your car and you are reaching UP or OVER to get your change. If you or the cashier "misses" it's kind of a pain in the rear to go park your car (because there's no room to open your car door of course) and come back to pick the change up off the ground. YUCK. Gee, this wasn't really a "conscious" pet peeve of mine but from my response to your posting looks like I've joined your "Peeve Club" !!

[Razz] [Wink] [Razz]
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Pet Peeve - 02/24/05 02:27 AM

I totally agree with this AND PLEASE ADD that they put that stupid receipt right on top so you couldn't see what the return change is anyway. HELLO? They can't put that in the bag? That drives me bananas. I tell them, "put the receipt in the bag" every blessed time and they still hand it to me...sooooo....in retailiation, I sit there and take my time and put things where they go. If they try and hand me anything like my food or drink, I said very sweetly, "oh you'll have to wait just a sec...I have to get rid of this receipt and my change. Gee, I wish you had put it in the bag!" hahahahah....Why Yes...I'm a stinker...why do you ask?
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Pet Peeve - 02/24/05 04:41 AM

Even worse than the change fiasco is the something you bought and paid for at the drive thru is not in the bag when you get home..."I am screaming here." Theres was a mjovie with Joe Pesche who told Mel Gibson
"you always get *&^%$% at the drive thru"... How true, how true....I sometimes wonder who lies awake nights to think of ways to irritate the consumer.

[ February 24, 2005, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]

Re: Pet Peeve - 02/24/05 05:02 AM

Do ya'll think it would help if we started saying, 'You know, I think the change is supposed to go on the bottom.' Maybe we could start a trend. [Big Grin] I don't care if they look at me like I'm crazy....I AM crazy [Eek!] No worries! [Razz]
Posted by: Dianne

Re: Pet Peeve - 02/24/05 05:33 AM

My two top pet peeves:

Garden hoses that tangle

Middle age men who only date young women.
Posted by: Debi

Re: Pet Peeve - 02/24/05 05:35 AM

yes leathel weapons 1-3 are my favorites. Never go threw the drive through , you get screwed at the drive through" sorry most people find my remembering interesting tid bits like that a pet peeve.

Re: Pet Peeve - 02/24/05 05:38 AM

Maybe thats because their "garden hose" no longer tangles....shrunk!!! [Big Grin] [Eek!] [Wink]
Posted by: smilinize

Re: Pet Peeve - 02/24/05 07:40 AM

I got that!! Shame on you chatty. You are hiliarious!!
Love ya'
smile

Re: Pet Peeve - 02/25/05 08:13 AM

Crazy woman. I love you.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Pet Peeve - 02/24/05 11:27 PM

Oh Chatty, what would we do without you?

Okay, I'm with you on the change thing, but here's another part that drives me nuts.

After the cashier has plugged in the amount of money you are giving them, try adding a penny, or some amount of change to make your change more even. They don't know what to do. They don't know how to figure out change for themselves without the machine telling them how much to give.

Something I bought came to some dollar amount and 51 cents. After she punched in the amount I was giving her I added a penny so she would only have to give me the two quarters.

She told me I COULDN'T DO THAT! I proceeded to tell her how much change to give me and totally confused her. She wouldn't take my penny. It was too confusing. Oh boy....

Re: Pet Peeve - 02/25/05 12:23 AM

well, that was one thing about being a cashier...I sure got a lot better about doing math in my head! But a penny!! Dotsie, you must have been appalled! I would have been.
Posted by: Vicki M. Taylor

Re: Pet Peeve - 02/25/05 12:28 AM

One of my biggest pet peeves is when people misuse the word "entitled". I always hear or see it written like this:

The book, entitled BEST BOOK EVER will make a million bucks.

The book isn't entitled to anything. It's TITLED, not ENTITLED.

Am I too picky?

Re: Pet Peeve - 02/25/05 12:44 AM

oh gee thanks Ms Vicki...now I got to go back and read all my post and see if I did that...

I'm entitled to a defense ain't I?

How bout the "drive thru rejects" that go "Welc^&^%&%to%^&*8May I ^&^&%&%9 order?

You're sitting there going "huh?" And then when you ask them to repeat it they scream at you. Heaven forbit you ask for extra ketchup...gees louise! You would think it was made of gold...

Chatty...the hose comment was priceless!

JJ

Re: Pet Peeve - 02/25/05 12:46 AM

Oh...I just remembered...one thing that drives me batty is when you are making a purchase and the clerk is talking on her headset to Romeo or somebody and not paying attention. Hello? That's my money. And when you have to interrupt and say, "Honey, excuse me, but I think you made an error" welllllll look out sister...You've done it then! They get angry. Course....they only get angry with me ONCE. Don't try to out hateful me, you won't win.

JJ

Re: Pet Peeve - 02/25/05 05:01 AM

sweet little 'ol you, Jaw Jaw? Surely not! [Eek!]

Re: Pet Peeve - 02/25/05 06:02 AM

oh you're right Unique....I was only joshn'

....I don't holler and scream at um....I just pull um across the counter and get eyeball to eyeball....ahahahahah...eyeball to---get it? hahahah....hahaoohohoh....ahem..ahem.

okay, okay...I'm only joshn'...teehee....

JJ
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: Pet Peeve - 02/25/05 12:15 PM

I don't think I've ever been to a drive-thru, but I agree with Dotsie about the clerks with the brains of a few small coins. I've had arguments with some of them, who couldn't figure the change thing out even after I showed them the math on a piece of paper. Stupid people really drive me crazy.

Re: Pet Peeve - 02/25/05 02:29 PM

Meredith....that reminds me of one of my favorite bumper stickers.....stupid people shouldn't breed....Politically Incorrect? Yeah. And the point is......? Whoever would have thought that the truth would become politically incorrect? [Roll Eyes]

Re: Pet Peeve - 02/25/05 07:30 PM

I owned a Dairy Queen and mostly hired teens. These were kids who made top grades in school. Brilliant. But they did weird, stupid things, etc. Maybe it's a maturity thing? I was never taught how to make change in school. My dad made my sister and I learn, from him. That way, we could work for him in one of his many businesses. I didn't like working for him but I'm glad he taught me how to make change.

I worry about what our kids today don't learn in school. Some of the spelling I see. It's horrible.

Re: Pet Peeve - 02/25/05 07:56 PM

Yep. That's why I'm fixin' to home school - starting this September. I kin talk right if'n I want to, or I can speak correctly if I so desire; I kin write kinda off the wall if'n I want to, or I can't write in grammatically correct sentences (no diagramming, please!) Kids should be taught English correctly - so they can decide which way to use - not leaving bad grammar to default. JMHO

Re: Pet Peeve - 02/25/05 07:57 PM

see can't? Cantoo, cannot, cantoo...can't blame all bad English on typos, can we?

Re: Pet Peeve - 02/26/05 08:07 AM

unique, your post is priceless. I think Danita home schools too. What grade?
Posted by: Danita

Re: Pet Peeve - 02/26/05 12:02 AM

I homeschool two teenagers - whom I've homeschooled from the begining. (DON'T LOOK AT MY GRAMMER OR SPELLING!!!)

It has been quite a journey. One that is sometimes difficult, but yet I know it is what is best for my family.

Danita

p.s. Unique, what grades will you be homeschooling?

Re: Pet Peeve - 02/26/05 12:41 AM

Second grade starting in September. Whew!! Glad I don't have to decompress all those years thru junior high. I don't think my nerves would take it. He's a bright little guy but he really HATES school. Especially the fun classes like Art, Music, Computers, & Gym....THAT makes me wonder, [Confused]

Re: Pet Peeve - 02/26/05 04:42 AM

My son David had a fit when Spanish was mandatory for the 7th grade and Jason had to take it. Then David really lost it when Jason came home with an A in Spanish and a D in English. I got there as he was yelling rather loudly, "but Jason you speak English." I don't agree with the schools making the American kids learn another cultures language and not making them learn ours....something isn't right here. [Confused]
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: Pet Peeve - 02/26/05 12:21 PM

Stupid people are a real pain in all areas of life. I get them at craft fairs:
"How much are those earrings?"
"They're $5. Everything on this board is priced by the row."
"Then how much is this pair?"
"$6. Everything on this board is priced by the row. See the label-maker tags on both ends of the row? $5 this row. $6 that row. Everything on this row is the same price."
"Well, what about that row?"
[Mad] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Mad] [Mad]

Re: Pet Peeve - 02/26/05 07:07 PM

Meredith, may God continue to grant you the patience of a saint! [Mad] [Roll Eyes] [Razz] [Smile] [Cool] It sounds like you have it (they ain't dead) and you need it (anyone else and they Would Be!)

Re: Pet Peeve - 02/26/05 07:37 PM

I'm thinking that maybe, people just don't pay attention. We have so much stuff thrown at us today with the technology, we're confused or...we're menopausal. I blame a lot on that!

Chatty, I used to feel that way about having to learn other languages until I started traveling. Most European children are taught three languages, English being one. I feel rather stingy when I visit as I haven't even attempted to learn their language. And the French don't understand how my sister can live there for six years and still not be fluent in French! Those channels in our brains shut down as we age. She's trying! It's hard when you're older.
Posted by: Dannye

Re: Pet Peeve - 02/27/05 12:42 AM

For the most part people live in their own worlds, I think. It's unusual to find a cashier that actually looks at you or even addresses you when they "serve" you. I think they are 1) bored or 2) self-absorbed. I am continually amazed at the numbers of people I meet that the first thought that crosses their mind when a situation comes up is "how is it going to affect or benefit me?" If it doesn't serve their needs, they're not interested. Stepping outside themselves to consider how it would benefit someone else is outside the scope of their abilities. That's why, I think, that service is becoming a rare commodity.

Unique, I got a good laugh from your "fixin to". Being from the South myself, I say that in day-to-day conversation, which gets some strange looks where I live now. However, like you, I too know the difference between the vernacular and formal business, social, or written English. Interestingly, I have found in some of my civic club experiences that some of the people who have been so reactive to my Southern slang couldn't write a proper sentence if their lives depended on it! [Smile]
Posted by: Kat

Re: Pet Peeve - 03/22/05 02:52 AM

Having been an English teacher in an earlier incarnation, I am forever correcting the TV. It just comes out when I hear an error. One of the common drive-me-crazy ones is hopefully. I realize that popular usage now has sway, but I can't get past the adverb thing. The other day someone asked me how I was. I answered, I'm good." When asked the same question from me, the woman smugly replied, "I'm well." I didn't stop to explain about the verb to be and adjectives, but I was sorely tempted!

Re: Pet Peeve - 03/22/05 07:58 AM

You should join the critique group, we could use your expertise... [Big Grin]

Re: Pet Peeve - 03/22/05 09:12 AM

I'd be happy to help. What would you need from me? [Confused]
Kat

Re: Pet Peeve - 03/23/05 08:09 AM

Well, good luck joining it! I've been waiting forever to get the password. DOTSIE?!?!

Re: Pet Peeve - 03/22/05 10:59 PM

I'm thinking after reading your comment that I might just stick to the TV!

Re: Pet Peeve - 03/23/05 06:56 AM

Kat we really do need someone with your expertise. Easy to join, send Dotsie an email.

Re: Pet Peeve - 03/23/05 07:52 AM

I'm more of a grammar tech and wordsmith. If that's needed, I'll give it a go.

Re: Pet Peeve - 03/23/05 07:35 PM

Kat, send me an email if you're interested.

Re: Pet Peeve - 03/26/05 01:10 AM

For those of you who are wordsmiths...what confuses me on the news is when they use the term, went missing or gone missing. Where did that come from?

Re: Pet Peeve - 03/26/05 09:04 AM

I don't think there is any difference between the two except for personal preference. To go missing just means to disappear. Went missing or gone missing are, I think, just variations.