Not Corporate Material

Posted by: Dianne

Not Corporate Material - 06/04/05 01:31 AM

I've been whining a lot lately, haven't I? Sorry.

I've been meaning to post this for over a month but held back for whatever reasons.

After being married to an executive for 10 years, I've decided I'm just not good corporate wife material. Reasons:

1.) I'm not a snob. I don't think just because someone within the company has a lower job, they should be treated differently from those who do.

2.) I don't care if someone is the president of Revlon, Loreal, or Walgreens, I treat them the same as the janitor.

3.) I'd like to believe people are my friends because they like me, not my husband's position. It just doesn't work that way.

4.) I'm not the type of woman who sits there quietly and smiles or nods. I'm vocally active, have fun and enjoy a good conversation. I don't argue with people but listen to them and give my viewpoint in a ladylike way.

5.) I don't care if someone is with a company who is a competitor of my husband's. If I like them, I like them. I can't not like someone because they compete.

I've tried girls. I really have. I just can't take all the BS that goes with this territory. It's phoney, backstabbing, surreal and it isn't in my nature to be that way.

I faced so many disappointments with this last conference we attended. It broke my heart. One woman, who I thought was a good friend, her husband was promoted to this huge position and while we used to do things together, she acted like she was a distant friend. My husband explained that she was setting up her own kingdom and that's just how it works in the corparate world. [Confused]

[ June 22, 2005, 11:45 AM: Message edited by: Dianne ]
Posted by: unique

Re: Not Corporate Material - 06/04/05 03:08 AM

I feel for you, Dianne. That sounds just like upper echelon military behavior. Mrs. General outranks Mrs. Colonel. Mrs. General never lets Mrs. Colonel forget it. It's never 100% in any social situation. There will always be at least a few people like you who look at the person, not the position. Think of it this way, without the 'status' of position, a lot of these people have no concept of self. Their position in life defines who they are. Without the position they'd consider themselves (and others) as nobodies. Truly classy people in this world don't use 2 (or 3) sets of manners in interpersonal relationships. Just consider yourself one of the 'Classics' and pity those who have such a low internal sense of self esteem. At the end of the day, you can be sure that people with good self esteem don't differentiate that way. They might believe they have good self esteem - but they've only managed to fool themselves.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Not Corporate Material - 06/04/05 05:25 AM

My wonderful Grand-mother once said to me after some horrible treatment I received from several snob cheerleaders in a new school....She looked me right in the eye and said there are always those that think themselves better or more important than those around them and act as such BUT remember:

The game of life is the game of boomerangs. Our thoughts, deeds and words return to us sooner or later, with astounding accuracy.... [Cool]
Posted by: Kelly L. Adams Stone

Re: Not Corporate Material - 06/04/05 04:59 PM

Here's another way to look at it-- who would want to have so little sense of self-worth that they had to glom onto their husband's successes in order to feel a shred of self-esteem? Not me. Pride is one thing, this stuff is another. Who needs it? In college one of my professors called it "BIRGing"-- "Basking in the reflected glory" of others.

Kelly

Re: Not Corporate Material - 06/04/05 05:11 PM

What wonderful advice from all of you.

David has been in the corporate world for years and I'm a newbie and just can't get there, no matter how much he explains things to me. It's snobbery. And Unique, you're so right about people being defined by their jobs/status.

I was never one to ride on my husband's coattails. What he did was his success and hard work. When we first moved to Ohio and he took this big job there, I couldn't understand why people were kissing our behinds. Well, most of them wanted to put their products in the stores, etc. so I started looking at people differently, almost with suspicion, which I don't like to do. But, David told me once, "If you think these people are really your friends, you're setting yourself up for a lot of pain." He was right. I argued with him but in the end, he was absolutely right. When he got the company sold, I never heard from any of those people again and yes, it did hurt.
Posted by: NancyB

Re: Not Corporate Material - 06/05/05 02:11 AM

Another interesting discussion. YOU sound like you've got your head on straight; too bad so many others do not. Corporate world, academic world, military world--full of same kind of human beings with same kind of esteem/snobbery issues. My father was a senior military officer and my mother remembers to this day the best piece of advice she ever got as a newlywed military wife (from the wife of the base commander, no less): she said, just remember, if your husband were a butcher, would you wear a pork chop on your shoulder? Grins.

Re: Not Corporate Material - 06/05/05 02:36 AM

Loved that Nancy and what a trueism that is...
Dianne would you believe in the middle of the night I woke up thinking of tnhis post and wrote down a few words on then notepad I keep next to the bed for just such a time. Well, it was just what Kelly said above. YOU dear lady have made something of your life, YOU are a success all by yourself, YOU support David with your own special brand of charm and those other shallow women who have done nothing they are proud of have to coat-tail their mans success, how sad for them to feel so insignifiant. I bet if they tried they could find something important they too have done but then maybe not. YOU however have nothing to appologize to anybody for, you are who you are because YOU did it and do it everyday. There are two ways of exerting one's strengh: one is pushing down, the other is pulling up. Think about it!!! [Cool]
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Not Corporate Material - 06/06/05 07:02 AM

Dianne, you are my kind of gal. This is exactly what Jesus means by being in the world, but not of it. You have already learned this lesson. Remember, God looks at the heart.

Live A Lotus Life
The lotus is a symbol of purity. Its roots are in the mud, but the flower remains above dirty water. Live a lotus life. Be in the world, but unaffected by impurities.

Seems to me you've already mastered this. I'm proud of you.

Re: Not Corporate Material - 06/06/05 07:47 AM

No pork chops on my shoulders! LOL!

When David first took over this company in Ohio, I went in to get my prescription filled and was waiting in a long line with elderly people. The store manager saw me and ran behind the counter and told the Pharmacist to fill my script first. Here are these elderly, ill people and he jumps me to the front of the line. It was awful. I asked him to not do that...don't worry about it...it doesn't bother me. I can't tell you how small I felt. But sadly, it almost becomes a way of life whether you accept it or not. I was treated like royalty and had my big white butt kissed for no other reason than my husband's position.

It did work in my favor when it came to working with battered women. People were interested in hearing the President's Wife of XXX company talk about such a vile topic. "Yes, that's right. I haven't had a perfect life. I was abused. It can happen to anybody." The same theme my publisher used. Whatever works.

This has made me sad. Our society and it's rules have made me sad. It isn't what or who you are, but what you have done or can do for somebody else. Just so sad.
Posted by: leigha

Re: Not Corporate Material - 06/06/05 07:00 AM

Dear Dianne

I am smiling as I write this because you are so beautiful...too feel the heart is much greater than anything outside of ourselves

To feel sadness for others because they live in a surface consciousness that was taught to them from birth is fine but in actuality whatever bothers you the most is something that can be changed...for the simple reason that you have breached the consciousness from the heart and can thus share that....

Ever thought of writing a book on being a corporate wife....for other corporate wives...something that will uplift their spirits and show them that they have another choice. Most people aren't aware that they have choices...most people are taught to follow the money...

Instead of sadness...have joy and realize that you can share the beauty of you with everyone you encounter....especially if you write a book!

Just an idea! You have a wonderful way of expressing yourself, with joy, humour and entertainment...which I can see in your posts...and nobody's ever written any books for the corporate wife! At least I haven't seen any and I'm in the financial papers every day....

With love and laughter...because of the delightfulness within you and the joy just ready to burst forth...Dianne you are a powerhouse! Keep it up girl!

And that goes for all of you delightful ladies....share your joy ladies....lift the world with your delight and beauty! For we are all love.

With love
Leigha

Re: Not Corporate Material - 06/06/05 07:09 AM

Dear Dotsie

I loved your words Dotsie, how beautiful and gentle...Live a Lotus Life...

'The lotus is a symbol of purity. Its roots are in the mud but the flower remains above dirty water.Live a Lotus life. Be unaffected by life's impurities.'

How beautiful what lives inside, the unseen beauty that builds through life's tribulations and joys, the seeds of love... to unfurl and to burst forth and grace the lives of everyone we encounter...sometimes when we least expect it, despite what lives around us!

With love
Leigha

Re: Not Corporate Material - 06/06/05 06:09 PM

Leigha, these words are from another online daily devotion I recently subscribed to. This was one of his recent thoughts for the day.

Brahma Kumaris World Spiritual University

Today's thought was something like this:

Take pleasure in the small things in life because it is from seeds that flowers grow. I loved it. We never know what will grow from the teeniest words, objects, thoughts, prayers, etc. Everything begins somewhere in the teeniest form!

Re: Not Corporate Material - 06/07/05 07:14 AM

Strange or maybe not so strange, I was thinking of possibly writing a book for corporate wives. I could interview women who live in the middle of it and try to help the newbies, just entering.

There are some strange corporate rules, such as: my husband was the president of the company so I could call any of the women whose husband's worked under him and invite them to lunch or whatever. Corporate rules say they can't call me and invite me to anything. Geesh.

David always told me to be careful making friends with the wives because it might get ugly and I'd lose a friend if he had to fire any of them. I ignored him and sure enough, it happened. One woman was always so nice to me, overly nice but then, she was just a nice person although I felt she kind of pushed it when we had company events. David had to let her husband go and I saw her in the grocery store and she glared at me, turned her nose up in the air and stormed off. We should be loyal to our spouse though so I understood it completely. Had to get rid of my ego first.

I have a friend who was in the corporate world for years and she mentioned to me that she was thinking of writing now that she's staying home and how did I go about it? (You'll notice when you're published, people will come to you for writing advice a lot!). So, I might contact her about doing a joint venture on a book.

Leigha, you're right. There are no books on the subject. Trust me, I searched for them! Might be a need there.
Posted by: Jersey Girl

Re: Not Corporate Material - 06/06/05 08:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dianne:
I've tried girls. I really have. I just can't take all the BS that goes with this territory. It's phoney, backstabbing, surreal and it isn't in my nature to be that way.

I read your post and had to respond. I just celebrated my eighth month anniversary. Of what? Walking away from a 6 figure salary in a large corporation for many of the reasons you stated.

I was a department manager, and the only female department head in a brokerage firm which is still considered a man's business.

The language (and I am not a prude) and the physical gestures I witnessed towards the female sales assistants over the years was horrible and the saddest part is, it becomes second nature and it no longer registers.

Sure we had HR issues but most young girls would not pursue a matter for fear of losing a paycheck, most just found another job. If HR did speak to the offender, they were given a slap on the wrist because the brokers were the revenue generators. It sickened me that this behavior was acceptable.

I always spoke my mind, not in a demanding, or obnoxious way, but I did not tolerate what I thought was wrong or went along with something I did not agree with just because that's the way it is.

My outspoken nature, (which is strange because I'm really not but when I feel someone is being wronged I have to step in), ability to feel, listen, and empathize, coupled with the fact that I was a woman, left me in the cold for many functions--because I was not in the boys club. And that was fine with me because I could not and would not play their game.

I feel for you Dianne. I could never do it. A co-worker once told me that I was the most uncorporate - corporate person he knew and he admired me. He wanted to know how I dealt with the BS, I told him because I never forgot who I am.

I actually knew every janitor and cafeteria workers name. The rest of my colleages would brush right past those people, never even saying excuse me.

I am much poorer financially since I left but I am so much richer spirituality and physically, I could never go back. Gone are the Nexium and insomnia.

I recently went to dinner with the woman who took my job when I left. She was so miserable. When I came home I asked my husband if I had been that bad, he gave me a resounding yes. Enough said.

I could never be a corporate wife. Strength to you. You said it best in the snippet I pasted at the top of this post. Backstabbers and PHONEY!

I spent many years in a place that represented everything that I did not believe in. And what did I learn from my experience? Money truly does not buy happiness.

I was happier when I was a cashier in Bradlees. [Smile]

[ June 06, 2005, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: Jersey Girl ]

Re: Not Corporate Material - 06/06/05 09:34 PM

Dear Dotsie
I've just written down your words Dotsie...what a wonderful help...that message hit me...it contains the seeds of miracles...to think that what we speak, think and pray...can have such a profound effect... and to remember that. That's the key I think...constantly being aware of the effect of how and what we say. I'll keep these words by me daily to remember.

Thank you Dotsie. That was greatly appreciated!

Dear Dianne

That's fabulous! I think you'd do a fantastic job Dianne...not just in helping corporate wives with respect to hierarchy...you could also help them to see who they are and that their lives mean more than just being the wife of a corporate executive...Just follow your heart Dianne...it will help you decide it that is part of your path.

With love
Leigha

Re: Not Corporate Material - 06/06/05 10:08 PM

Thanks ladies. It's nice to know that others understand. Some would ask me what I was complaining about because of the other benefits. Well, walk in my shoes for a while.

I might start working on an outline during my upcoming trip. Will miss you! (See Travel Thread)
Posted by: Jersey Girl

Re: Not Corporate Material - 06/06/05 10:32 PM

Though I am not a corporate wife, I would be willing to give you any input to being a woman in corporate America if you need it.

Re: Not Corporate Material - 06/07/05 12:51 AM

Oh trust me...I already had you in mind to interview! If any of you other ladies would like to be interviewed, when the time comes, just let me know.
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: Not Corporate Material - 06/07/05 03:43 AM

Dianne, I'm impressed by your complete lack of BS -- either taking or giving it. Brava, woman! The reason you don't understand the snobbery and artifice is that you never bought into that whole deceitful game.

Be thankful that you CAN'T understand it!

One nice thing about being a full-time crafter is that there's little snobbery. We're all just two bad craft fairs in front of the bill-collectors. The few snobs in this business are angry wannabees.

I'm reminded of an incident from my childhood. In the late 1950's, my father brought home a co-worker to have dinner with us and later speak to the children and Mom about the civil rights movement. There were no black people in our neighborhood, and my father thought it was important for us to meet someone who had lived through segregation and knew the issues first-hand.

Decades later, after my father died, I was talking to Mom about my father's work. My father was the first Jew to break through the company's glass ceiling, and he still was discriminated against a lot on a daily basis. There were no non-Caucasians working there, except in menial cleaning positions.

It was only then that I realized my father's co-worker -- whom he introduced as "a friend from work" -- must've been a janitor.

I'm glad I was raised with a good value system.

Re: Not Corporate Material - 06/07/05 10:42 AM

Dear Meredithbead

Sounds like you had a great dad Meredith...strong of heart and noble.

I saw your jewelry on your site and it's dazzling!

With love
Leigha

Re: Not Corporate Material - 06/08/05 07:30 AM

Meredith, what a blessing to have such an open minded example through youth. WOW!
Posted by: Lynn

Re: Not Corporate Material - 06/11/05 08:57 PM

Jersey Girl,

I just quit my "big time' job. I, too, was the only female department head of a large male corporation. I did this for 20 years and fought the system the entire way.

Now that I am raisng a son to be a gentleman, I found my day life and evening life in total conflict. Not to mention my health and my realtionship with my husband.

With benefits, I was also six figures and am a bit anxious about finding another job, benefits etc but with faith I will be better off.

I could not play the game either. I had these male counterparts tell me they could not stand to walk on a certain side of the building because all "the women were over there". I should have told him maybe he would learn a thing or two if he did. GRRR>

Would love to contribute to a book. It is up to us to raise yound men that will not succumb to this type of gamesmanship.

Lynn
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Not Corporate Material - 06/11/05 09:33 PM

There is another side to that as well. Once a woman "makes it" in a corporate world, there are some women who will turn against her. Its almost like they consider her "the enemy" once her new role is announced. I know...been there, done that. I was made a manager and suddenly I was dropped from lunches, parties, etc. that was given or thrown by "the girls." I was left out in the cold when they gathered to chit chat, and once I LEFT the managerial role (my own choice), I was immediately welcomed back into the folds of their sisterhood. Trust me, I found new sistahs after that experience. I never could figure that one out. So it is not just the men who discriminate.

JJ
Posted by: Thistle Cove Farm

Re: Not Corporate Material - 06/12/05 10:38 PM

Dianne - it doesn't sound to me like being corporate material is something to want...this coming from someone who walked away from corporate jobs and now shovels manure for a living...grin.

My heart goes out to anyone who is real and you sound *Very Real*. This is a tough old world for *Very Real* people...right, Boomer Sibs? We all know, don't we?

A person would think this "corporate" mind set wouldn't be a problem down on the farm...right?
WRONG! There are people in this county who won't visit me because I "live in a big house". ---Heck, if they feel that bad about it, why don't they come over and help me clean this "big house"!?--- There are women of color in this county who won't visit me because "it's just not done" --- because "the power structure, white of course --- will cast a jaundiced eye to poor old not understanding white Sandra.

Sorry folks need to get over themselves. There's not gonna be segregation in Heaven; that comes beforehand and it has *nothing* to do with color!

Dianne - come visit me and we'll laugh out loud together at those silly people!

Re: Not Corporate Material - 06/13/05 04:06 AM

Not knowing or visiting you Sandra is definitely THEIR LOSS....This world of ours would be a very dull and ugly place without different colors, can't they see that??? [Cool]

Re: Not Corporate Material - 06/14/05 07:23 AM

Have you ever played this game: Sit in a crowded place and watch the people walk by and try to guess what they do for a living? Or, see a homeless person and dress them in expensive clothes and fix their hair and think about how different they would come across to people? I do this all the time. We judge unfairly and often because of a job someone holds. The movie Crash is a good example of prejudice and racism.

Sandra, when I first met my editor, I remarked about never being invited to anyone's home. She told me it was because we were like royalty in that small town (because of my husband's job) and I almost choked I laughed so hard. Sadly, it turned out that way because I had to have my own party if I wanted to go to one. But then, my silver lining was the alone time to sit down and write my book.

JJ, you're so right. Women are the first to shoot their wounded. I just don't get it and never will. It's almost like we want to see our own gender fail so we'll feel better about ourselves and that sounds like an entire chapter in a book!!!!!
Posted by: Uvagolfmom

Re: Not Corporate Material - 06/14/05 12:00 AM

I had an experience a while back where the snobby difficult person was the husband and the compassionate, albeit mistaken, person, was the wife. We were up at my mother-in-law's farm and conditions were very primitive at the time - no hot water, no bath or bathroom, etc. A couple had been lied to and ended up turning in our turnaround with their Corvette in a trailer, because no one higher up wanted their yard ruined with the tire marks. Their vehicle got stuck in our mud and the husband was furious. His wife, I could tell, thought we were like people from Appalachia because of our appearance, despite the fact that all of us were college educated or more, and she wanted to pay us to reseed the lawn. My mother-in-law asked her instead to make a donation to her deceased husband's scholarship fund, which she did. I like the memory, because I try to remember the assumptions that were made about us in that situation, but I also appreciated that the lady was gracious despite who she thought we were. It is a weird feeling, however, having people look at you and assume you are poorly educated and materially poor before we had uttered a word.

Re: Not Corporate Material - 06/14/05 12:40 AM

We do that, don't we? Judge for unknown reasons. Is it our conditioning or how we were raised or what? And, how do we make sure we don't ever do it again? It's a fascinating subject, isn't it?

Re: Not Corporate Material - 06/14/05 12:51 AM

We probably developed it originally to learn how to notice things and protect ourselves, but we do not need that so much anymore. I try to train myself to think counterintuitively with positive assumptions from apparently negative data, e.g., assuming a speeding car cutting me off and passing me is carrying a heart transplant instead of just speeding. I also try to ask a question that is not judgmental or does not reveal a particular bias and have been relieved many a time that I did not articulate my assumption. This leads to another issue sort of, which is why people ascribe the sex or race of a person as the reason why they do what they do, e.g., drive poorly. I hear it more than I would like when I am a passenger or bystander and I always wonder why those are the attributes they select for why someone does what they do, when they do not seem to have any logical relation to the conduct in question. I almost think that has to be learned behavior over time, although I have sometimes asked the "offender" if they heard it at home (when I can ask without offending myself) and they almost invariably deny that their parents said the same sort of thing.

Re: Not Corporate Material - 06/14/05 01:06 AM

My husband is Jewish and it hurts and offends me when people make jokes regarding his faith, like they are all tight with money, etc. Ironically, as a young boy, he attended religious school and they taught tolerance and understanding of other's faith. Maybe we should all do that.

My parents were racist. I think that's why I'm not. It was so ridiculous and uncalled for. I could never understand their reasoning, if that's what you want to call it. Beyond reason to me.
Posted by: chickadee

Re: Not Corporate Material - 06/14/05 06:15 PM

I don't understand Racism at all. I got a heaping dose when I moved to Alabama. No not from everyone, but a few. A few too many just the same. Usually the ones who were acting this way, were negative on many things. The government, the neighbors, the company, etc etc.
These are generally people who are not happy with themselves. I did see a positive change in one Mother whose son became friends with a neighbor boy. No more racial slurs from her.
Funny...huh?

chick

Re: Not Corporate Material - 06/15/05 07:01 AM

Racial slurs. Hate them. Just hate them. It really shows the inner workings of someone. Shows a clear lack of intelligence. Needless and useless behavior. Makes me so sad.

Re: Not Corporate Material - 06/15/05 07:52 AM

It's funny you ladies mention the negativism and how it really is more a reflection of what is going on with the people themselves than anything about the people they are criticizing. Haven't you noticed that people usually reveal their bigotry within a few minutes of speaking with them? I used to guess it took about 10 minutes for them to reveal their true colors.

Re: Not Corporate Material - 06/15/05 04:58 PM

Uvagolfmom in many cases people do reveal their bigotry in a few minutes. What disappoints me most? When people say they are not racist...but. It's the "but" that gets me.
chick

Re: Not Corporate Material - 06/16/05 07:08 AM

I wanted to tell all of you that I've been in touch with the woman about us writing this book on corporate wives. We want to explain why corporate rules are set up, what happens when they aren't followed but more importantly, how a woman can keep from losing herself in the middle of it. I'm excited.

Re: Not Corporate Material - 06/15/05 11:04 PM

Chickadee, you are so right, I had to laugh rather than cry. It is sort of like how I tease my husband how he says "Maybe it's me" only when he does not really think so. The "but" can be a big one. It makes me think I need to be more thoughtful about my use of the word "but" myself, and make sure it really is a fair "but".
Posted by: Dannye

Re: Not Corporate Material - 06/16/05 01:53 AM

Dianne,
If you want a good place to talk with corporate wives. Go up to Wayzata, MN, where your husband is and visit the Newcomers' Club. It is literally filled with corporate wives!

On the other topic: I have a distaste for intolerance for those who are different from oneself or have different ideas. Being from the South, I have heard judgments made all my life about the educational and intellectual status of Southerners as well as the attitude that if you are a Southerner, you are by default a racist.

That is absolute B.S. People from the South are not stupid and are not racist to any greater degree than the people that I have met since I have been living in the North. The biggest difference I can find is that Northerners don't have a Southern accent. People are just people, and you are going to find examples of every possible expression no matter where you go.

Bigotry is the tool people use when they need to put someone else down so that they can feel better about themselves. Like someone said earlier, they just need to get over themselves! [Roll Eyes]

Re: Not Corporate Material - 06/16/05 02:10 AM

Dannye, are they young corporate wives or ones who have been in the corporate world for a while? Thank you for that info.

I've noticed that people consider a woman who has a Southern accent to be gentle, sweet, kind and the original Georgia Peach. But a man with the same accent is automatically lowered in IQ because of it. Isn't that strange? Here I am, living in TN and trying to get an accent!
Posted by: smilinize

Re: Not Corporate Material - 06/16/05 02:16 AM

I am confused by this topic, but I think I might have been in this situation without really thinking about it.
I was married to a man who was CEO of a good sized company at the same time my own company grew as large as the one he headed.
Strangely, people from his company treated me as if I had a nice little hobby. In fact, my own family treated me the same way. I would be in the middle of a multi-millin dollar negotiation and my sister would call and be upset if I didn't drop everything and go shopping.
I mostly just ignored the whole thing. And when I was with my husband's company, I just played the little wife.
If the people who worked for me were intimidated, they certainly never showed it. And there were times when I wanted to be more intimidating.
Sometimes especially the doctors seemed to resent that I owned the company and made more money than they did. A couple tried unsuccessfully to get my contracts, but over all everyone ignored everyone else and did their job. I rarely socialized with anyone who worked for me though I had a lot of parties, etc. for my husband's co-workers.
It was a weird time I guess.
smile

Re: Not Corporate Material - 06/16/05 02:51 AM

I think the problem is that people create a hierarchal standard, grouping or trying to group people into different boxes to make it acceptable for their minds to deal with because that is how people's minds have been trained since kindergarten.

Due to this boxing and categorizing people in relationship to their education or jobs, we have all become more insulated from our own thought processes en masse.

Most people lack a feeling of self-acceptance and need to be accepted by others based on some standard they have been taught since birth, whether through culture, ideology, education, or the business world, ie their parent's viewpoints and things have always been done.

To buck the standard of society's norm is out of the question in many people's minds because they do not have enough self-acceptance to see a new way of being.. They are forever searching for their own worth in other's eyes, which opens the path for self-judgement, or that of judging others.

To be free of this ladies only requires that you live a path of truth within...and understand that the energy that you live within supercedes the lower vibrations of other people's fear which is the ultimate cause of self-judgment or judging others.

with care
Leigha

Re: Not Corporate Material - 06/16/05 03:54 AM

Well, that does it, Leigha. I'll be interviewing you for the book, along with some others here. You are soooo right on, as usual.

Wow Smile. You had both worlds. You were married to a corporate officer and you were one yourself. Geesh Louise.
Posted by: smilinize

Re: Not Corporate Material - 06/16/05 04:08 AM

Dianne, I guess it was another of the weird times in my life when I was doing a lot of very different things all at the same time.
Seems like I either do everything at once or nothing at all. Lately I'm doing the latter. -- And I'm good at it too. [Smile]
smile

Re: Not Corporate Material - 06/16/05 08:53 AM

leigha, you have such a nice way of expressing yourself with words. So talented and beautiful.

Smiles, are you feeling any better in regards to energy? I hope you do.

Dianne,I bet this book will benefit many women in the corporate situation. I wish you the best of luck with it.

Dannye, I was born and grew up in Newfoundland, Canada. Everyone in town was caucasion, but there was always someone who found a way to be against another. Religion. Catholics vs Protestants.

When I moved up North (Ontario age 17)I got to learn about racism of color. I couldn't believe how some people think so bad of others because of their skin color. I also found out that many of them thought Newfoundlanders were backward and stupid.

When I visited my new found family in Alabama,(I was 40+) they were so different in their thinking and mine. They made no bones about it. Almost proud of it. It disappointed me to no end. This was MY family and how could they think this way. I love them just the same.

It seems that no matter where we go, there will be people against people.

My Mom taught us to "be good." That meant not being rude or mean and not say bad things to or about ANYONE. She meant business and would not have it any other way. She was the most positive woman I have ever known in my whole entire lifetime.

Sorry for the ramble. Funny how we go from one topic to another isn't it.

chick

Re: Not Corporate Material - 06/16/05 06:04 PM

I was so turned off by my parent's racism and judgements, I think it caused me to go the other way. It was so ugly. Strangely, if a ethnic family came to their church, they were suddenly okay. Just too weird.

I started working on an intro to this book yesterday. Wrote about 350 words and something I'm noticing is...I'm sarcastic. I can't help but joke about my induction into the Corporate World and The Rules and how many of them I broke without even knowing. How stubborn I was when my husband would try to explain things to me and what a nonconformist I was or still am and something has to make sense to me for me to believe in it.

So, I read it to my husband over the phone last night and he stopped me in the middle and said, "Dianne, this is really good." You have to realize that he doesn't usually express himself in this way and especially about my writing. I asked him if it seemed more interesting because I was writing about him and he said no, it flowed smoothly and he really liked it.

Something funny: In writing this with my friend, we're both breaking a Corporate Rule. So, I'm writing about them and breaking them at the same time. [Confused]
Posted by: Dannye

Re: Not Corporate Material - 06/16/05 11:03 PM

Dianne,

At the time I was up there, a lot of the women in the group were seasoned corporate wives who had followed their husbands from one assignment to another. There are a huge number of corporate headquarters in the Twin Cities, which probably explains it. The majority of these women were wives of highly placed executives. For them, going to lunch meant forking out $100 before the meal was over. Once or twice was OK, but as a regular expenditure, it was a little over my budget.
I found that some of them were down-to-earth and others were caught up in their "position" (?)

When I lived in MN, the moment I opened my mouth and the Southern accent emerged, you could actually see the disdain on a person's face. I asked for the location of an item in the grocery store in Wayzata, and the clerk started talking to me very slowly and enunciating his words carefully as if he thought I was an idiot.

Where I live now, I have had some interesting experiences. One woman that I didn't know except to greet when I saw her was eavesdropping on my conversation with my mother who was visiting. I told her that I had just been selected for the Marquis' Who's Who in American Women.
The woman interrupted our conversation without thinking and said, "They chose you?"
I looked at her and said, "And why not?" Since she didn't know anything about me, I thought her answer would be interesting.
She said, "Well, I thought that was for well-educated professional women."
Not wanting to make it easy at the time, I said, "And so....?"
She said, "Ummmm...Well, I can tell you're from the South. So I just thought...."
I just said, "Maybe you need to rethink your prejudices" and walked away.

I'm not nursing anger about the way people act. It just saddens me whenever I am faced with such prejudice, no matter who it is directed toward. Being from the South just gives me many opportunities to dis-identify from the negative emotions that can accompany such interactions. I should probably count my blessings! [Big Grin]

Re: Not Corporate Material - 06/16/05 11:45 PM

Here's a story for you. At one time I worked with my husband in his optometric office.

One of the local weathermen arrived for his appointment. He had to wait. Imagine that!

He treated me like dirt when he inquired about not having been seen. I was my sweet self, apologized, and explained the delay. He hemmed and hawed, giving the women employees dirty looks of exasperation and disgust.

Hubby comes out while the guy was stammering around the opticianry. Hubby introduces me as his wife...and he changed his tune immediately! He was full of smiles and pleasantries. Oh, now that he knows I'm the doctor's wife he's going to treat me differently.

Who cares if he's a weatherman, and who cares if my husband is an eye doctor. Sometimes people make me crazy!

FYI: I won't say who it was for the locals, but I will say it wasn't Bob Turk. I love Channel 13!

Re: Not Corporate Material - 06/16/05 11:47 PM

Dianne, while researching for you book you may want to read, "Powerful Mate Syndrome"

Angela Wilder sent me a copy, or her publicist did, but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet.

If you order it through Amazon on my site I might make two cents. HA!

Re: Not Corporate Material - 06/17/05 02:53 AM

Never heard of it but I would love to read it. Thanks.
Posted by: Sadie

Re: Not Corporate Material - 07/17/05 05:27 AM

Dotsie,
Marty Bass I bet. My daughter said he won't give you the time of day . He is rude .

Re: Not Corporate Material - 07/18/05 08:12 PM

It is funny, isn't it? I remember how people treated me back when I was a lifeguard at a country club before and after they found out, either that my parents also belonged to a country club or that I was going to go to a college that had snob appeal. I ended up working in a law firm years later for one of the members who treated me with dignity before he ever knew if it would do him any good, but never forgot the valuable lessons I learned from that experience. P.S. It's terrible, but Marty Bass ran through my mind as well.

Re: Not Corporate Material - 07/18/05 08:54 PM

Isn't it interesting what impresses people? When I was published, my IQ increased a lot! People were suddenly interested in what I did or had to say. Until that time, I was just the wife of...