Forume up and running!

Posted by: Dotsie

Forume up and running! - 08/06/08 12:45 AM

Yahoo! The forums are up and running. I'm sure it will take a little bit for all of us to find our way around, but so far, I'm loving it! Hope you do too.
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Forume up and running! - 08/06/08 01:10 AM

Welcome home to everybody! Mousekateers, sound off NOW!
Posted by: Dianne

Re: Forume up and running! - 08/06/08 04:08 PM

Welcome back, Dots and JJ!
Posted by: Jessica

Re: Forume up and running! - 08/06/08 04:13 PM

Oh Dianne, you are the very first person to post in the new format. There are more bells and whistles to come, but at least for now, we're back together. Phew!

How's your new degree moving along?
Posted by: Jessica

Re: Forume up and running! - 08/06/08 04:15 PM

oops, I forgot I was registered as my daughter. This is Dotsie. I registered her this morning so I could see what was working for those who weren't admistrators. I'll switch back to me now.
Posted by: Cookie

Re: Forume up and running! - 08/06/08 04:15 PM

NOW all the whistles and bells are showing!!
Posted by: Dee

Re: Forume up and running! - 08/06/08 04:18 PM

YEAH!!!!!! I've had BWS withdrawals!!!!

Mouskateer Dee (short for Darlene) here!!!

Looks great Dotsie...off to check it all out now...

Re: Forume up and running! - 08/06/08 06:36 PM

Where are the girls? <Queen waving to the ones that are here!> Yuhooo! Hey gals! Wonder when everyone else will show up. Is this cool or what?
Posted by: gims

Re: Forume up and running! - 08/06/08 06:42 PM

I couldn't get in for the LONNNNNNNNGGGGGEST! Glad it's back up!

Re: Forume up and running! - 08/06/08 07:03 PM

Actually there are more whistles and bells still being installed, but I'm hoping we don't have to shut down to add them. Still in the owrks. Gosh, it's good to be back up and CONNECTED!
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Forume up and running! - 08/06/08 07:06 PM

Tried several times in the past few days and couldsn't get in but it did shows me my PM's. Got in now, so am happy once again. Like I said, it will take some geting use to. It's good to be home, LOL!

Re: Forume up and running! - 08/06/08 07:08 PM

I just clicked to edit the post above and it said the edit time had expired, WHAT? In two mi nutes time????

Where are the rest of my posts???? I had well over 12,000 and now it is showing only 11,698. I am missing over 1000 posts???

Re: Forume up and running! - 08/06/08 09:08 PM

I haven't been able to edit at all. Once you submit the message, it's done. You can hit edit all you want right after that, but nope....it won't let cha'!

Re: Forume up and running! - 08/06/08 09:27 PM

Yep, tried again and same response, no editing allowed, ha, LOL!!
Posted by: Sandpiper

Re: Forume up and running! - 08/06/08 09:47 PM

Finally back here. Was not able to get into the forums but am now. The look is different. I guess it will take some time to get used to all of it but it's nice.

Re: Forume up and running! - 08/06/08 10:03 PM

One more thing....has anyone else noticed that you can see the re-defining life thread and the nabbw threads when you are NOT logged in, but they disappear when you are logged in? It is the opposite of what is was before.

Re: Forume up and running! - 08/06/08 10:42 PM

I imagine there will be quirks to be worked out as time goes by. I'm just glad we're back up...
Posted by: Eagle Heart

Re: Forume up and running! - 08/06/08 10:59 PM

I'm so glad we're back up and running. It's good to see everyone again.

Dotsie, I'm sure things are still being worked out. And I'm sorry to raise any issues too soon. But one problem I have is that my eyes are very sensitive, I cannot work for long periods of time with a white background. In the old forum, we were able to change the background colours within the preference options. Do you know if we will be able to that eventually with this new setup? Right now I have to use sunglasses to stay on this site for longer than a few minutes.

Re: Forum up and running! - 08/06/08 11:08 PM

EXPLORE! Maybe if you changed the color of your letters, it would help? I can't answer your question, well, not at the moment, but I will certainly try to find out. I do understand. I'm not crazy about the white background myself. See another post I did for Humlan about the size of the type.

Re: Forum up and running! - 08/06/08 11:27 PM

I read your instructions about changing the size - that worked great! Makes a huge difference, and diminishes some of the problem with the white background.

Thanks JJ!

Re: Forum up and running! - 08/06/08 11:31 PM

Very cool! I'm so glad. Now here are the instructions EH read in case someone else needs them and can't find the other post.

Ladies...if you will hold down the "ctrl" key located on the left-hand side of your keyboard just under the "shift" key, and then hit the "knob" that is on your mouse, you can shift the size from small to large. Or vice versa. Most of you should have a knob thingy that is located between the left and right flat places on your mouse that you click. See it? It is in the middle. Move it away from you, the type gets smaller, move it toward you, LARGER!

Re: Forum up and running! - 08/07/08 02:13 AM

Another option, if there's too much white all the time, is to highlight long post, giving making the text white on a blue background, however small the background is per post.

Re: Forum up and running! - 08/07/08 02:19 AM

By the way, can the cookies under "My Stuff" be mailed Express to my house? J/K... Someone had a bday this week, and Anno's is next week... will the calendar be updated?
Posted by: ladyjane

Re: Forum up and running! - 08/07/08 03:47 AM

So happy to log on tonight and see us up and running!! Missed you all way too much! So far, so good....I still have some checking out here to do!
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: Forum up and running! - 08/07/08 04:50 AM

checking in to say I missed youze all omigosh (a Southernism via NYC via SoCali.)

Dotsie, what are the new bells and whistles we'll be getting?
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: Forum up and running! - 08/07/08 08:15 AM

Aging eyes here.
Blue on white does not do it for me.

Making the type bigger does not change the details on the left which are slimmer.

I may use my husbands software to change the whole thing.
He having visual impairment uses all sorts of clever things.Even being read to by the computer.wont use that of course.

I am happy to see you all again.
Mountain ash
Posted by: jabber

Re: Forum up and running! - 08/07/08 01:12 PM

Hi everybody,
Just answering jj's Mousekateers call. This mouse has checked in.
I'm learning as I go. That's usually the way it is for me: On the
job training, you know.

Chatty,
I tried to edit a post and the time element was up too quickly; could not get back in, to correct the text. This dude waits for no man, or woman either!

Who said familiarity breeds contempt? That's a crock of crackers!

Re: Forum up and running! - 08/07/08 02:35 PM

Okay, don't mind me, but what was the background color before? I think I can get it changed.

Re: Forum up and running! - 08/07/08 02:56 PM

Dotsie, I don't remember what the default color scheme was, but I do remember that we were able to go into our preferences and change it individually - we had a choice of several different color schemes. Mine was a green and yellow combination, the easiest on my eyes of the choices available.

That sort of thing should be fairly easy to add. I think the color schemes come in pre-programmed modules and the techies can just add the ones they want to a drop-down list in the preferences section.

Re: Forum up and running! - 08/07/08 02:59 PM

BTW, I've been online here most of the morning (hopping away every now and then to do housework), and am noticing changes happening on the fly. It's looking really good, Dotsie!
Posted by: Princess Lenora

Re: Forum up and running! - 08/07/08 07:07 PM

Hey, even Dianne came by to check out the new look! Hi, D...
What is a spider? To the right of the screen it says who is online, and one "spider."

Re: Forum up and running! - 08/07/08 07:30 PM

Before we were down, I asked the question about how I could go about printing all of my posts in one long stream. Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks for any help.
Posted by: chickadee

Re: Forum up and running! - 08/07/08 07:43 PM

Hey I noticed the spider too PL. here's a copy.
Who's Online
8 Registered (chatty lady, 7 invisible), 2 Guests and 1 Spider online.
I am trying to find how to bring the posts as a group on one page like before. Any suggestions. Not like the main page.

Re: Forum up and running! - 08/07/08 08:32 PM

The spider question is answered on another topic thread in this forum. If I understand: it is a search engine that crawls the web looking for matches to words.

Re: Forum up and running! - 08/07/08 09:18 PM

Did we lose the birthday calendar? I'm lost without it. I found the calendar with events but no birthdays. frown
Posted by: DJ

Re: Forum up and running! - 08/08/08 02:05 AM

I was just deciding to upload a photo but it wants an avatar and a url. Have we gone so high tech now? I have no idea how to do that.
Posted by: Dee

Re: Forum up and running! - 08/08/08 03:12 AM

Dotsie...I have to say the more I play around with this thing the more I like it...lots of special features and extras...wow...this is amazing. Like everything new it will take some getting used to, but I'm looking forward to it. Well done!!!

Re: Forum up and running! - 08/08/08 03:23 AM

I agree Dee, I have maneuvered around and I really like the new facelift. The little minor bugs will get ironed out.
Congratulations Dotsie for making the site a much nicer place. You work so hard to give us a beautiful cybehome. Thank You so much.
Isn't change wonderful?

Re: Forum up and running! - 08/08/08 03:25 AM

cyberhome*
There's more than one way to edit, Bahaha. wink
Posted by: Mij

Re: Forum up and running! - 08/08/08 11:26 AM

Sorry to complain, but it's not the size of the type or background, but the forum itself has been narrowed considerably. It used to fit full-screen, just like the Home Page, and just like all other forums I belong to. I'm not sure why it is like this now, but it makes it far less user-friendly. There is more than twice as much blank space on the sides than there is forum.

Surely the Webmaster can change it back to it's former size?
Posted by: Mij

Re: Forum up and running! - 08/08/08 11:30 AM

This is just a cached image of the board previously. Though the normal format isn't complete, it shows how the forum used to fill the page: http://tinyurl.com/5bugw8
Posted by: Anno

Re: Forum up and running! - 08/08/08 11:46 AM

I am beginning to get use to the new format, but agree that all this white space is uncomfortable to my eyes. I would prefer seeing the posts fill the page.

Re: Forum up and running! - 08/08/08 03:14 PM

Thanks Mij. I still see all white. Where does everyone want the background changed? Please be specific. Is it on the sides of the pages?

Re: Forum up and running! - 08/08/08 03:15 PM

WE are in the process of working on the photo posting today. Please be patient while we figure that out.

Also, chatty, I've alerted them to your post number issue.

Re: Forum up and running! - 08/08/08 07:06 PM

All fixed Dotsie, smile and thanks a bunch! cool
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: Forum up and running! - 08/08/08 08:17 PM

What has really impressed me is reading older posts.Recalling my welcome here from the girls.
I always wanted to read early posts.Particularly craft items.
And to see the first post.On the first day Dotsie.
How can I do this ?
Mountain ash

Re: Forum up and running! - 08/08/08 08:23 PM

Here is a link to your first post (if you meant YOUR OWN???)

MA FIRST POST

How I found it was to LEFT click (but not release the mouse) on your name and scroll down the list till it landed on VIEW POST. Then I simply went to your first post shown by the "numbers" at the bottom of the page. Like YOURS shows post 1-82 or something like that. Hope this helps!

Re: Forum up and running! - 08/08/08 09:12 PM

How do we send suggestions?

Re: Forum up and running! - 08/09/08 07:24 AM

I too am not crazy about all the white space on the margins outside the posts. I did prefer when the posts filled the screen.

I miss the old option of choosing our viewing skin. I had the purple one (surprise!) cuz it was pretty.

Re: Forum up and running! - 08/09/08 09:17 AM

Gims...please PM Dotsie for suggestions. Same as always!
Posted by: Anno

Re: Forum up and running! - 08/09/08 11:02 AM

I notice the pics are beginning to cover up the white space on the right side. The more I am here, the more I like it. smile

I remember it took me a while to figure out how to use the old formate. This will be easier for us older (oops, sorry) I mean more seasoned users grin, if we just keep posting.
Posted by: AmyDoodle

Re: Forum up and running! - 08/09/08 01:26 PM

I'm here, too, and it looks great! It seems pretty easy to operate--an important thing for a technodoofus like me!

Re: Forum up and running! - 08/09/08 01:58 PM

Yuhooo! AmyDoodle! Just left a comment on your blog re: the toilets. Hate those suckers...(no pun intended)...We need to swamp links on our blogs. But first, I need to write something that isn't 100 years old...sigh...I'm so trifling.

Re: Forum up and running! - 08/09/08 05:23 PM

swamp links?

Re: Forum up and running! - 08/09/08 05:48 PM

PLEASE GOD, we are in need of an edit that works, SWAMP, LOL??? I've a few doozies in my posts as well...

Re: Forum up and running! - 08/09/08 06:52 PM

I was razzin JJ as she was razzin Dotsie. I'm a doozier too.

Re: Forum up and running! - 08/09/08 07:22 PM

I think JJ has coined a new link term...
actually, I thought there was something called that...
but, now that chick is laughing, I know otherwise...
so, I'll laugh along, because it is cute...
Posted by: orchid

Re: Forum up and running! - 08/09/08 09:32 PM

I'm glad to be back. I must admit I find the easy access WITHOUT registering almost abit too open.

As a user that likes our group, I would prefere some features only accessible to people who make the effort to register and log in. ie. like certain photo-sharing, etc.

Re: Forum up and running! - 08/09/08 11:46 PM

that's a good point, considering the potential for abuse.
Posted by: dancer9

Re: Forum up and running! - 08/09/08 11:52 PM

I agree. Orchid, and Meredith!

Dancer9
Posted by: humlan

Re: Forum up and running! - 08/10/08 01:18 AM

I agree with you whole heartedly..Orchid and Meredith.

What do you other ladies say??? blush

Re: Forum up and running! - 08/10/08 01:41 AM

Gims, where did you get that gremlin? Now THAT made me laugh!!!

So did "swamp links". Maybe we should have a contest to see what crazy definitions we can come up with for a swamp link.

Re: Forum up and running! - 08/10/08 04:26 AM

EH, I found him playing in the swamp.
JJ, you don't mind us playing with the swamp thang, do ya?

Re: Forum up and running! - 08/10/08 12:25 PM

Ladies, I'm just reading all of this thread. I made notes and will address these concerns during the week. I can't do anything about it on the weekend. Tech support is closed on weekends, as it should be.

One of the reasons I have to do these updates is because I pay for tech support. Unless I update to newer versions, I lose the tech support. Trust me, I don't want to lose that. We'd be up the creek without a paddle if that happened.

The reason there is white space on the sides, and the reason the forum doesn't go all the way out to the sides as you scroll down, is because we now have buttons to other parts of BWS, www.NABBW.com, and our sponsors, on the sides at the top - which is vital. Afterall, that's who pays the bills. So, sorry about that. I will see if we can change the background color which should help.

Thanks to those who commented that they liked it. I apprecaite it.

Re: Forum up and running! - 08/10/08 09:11 PM

FYI, the birthday calendar is up and running. That was mentioned here so I thought I'd share. Just click on calendar in the bold pink section at the top.

Re: Forum up and running! - 08/11/08 09:22 AM

JawJaw--I saw you'd been by my blog. (Have you ever run into one of those toilets that just Would. Not. Stop. Flushing.

Darlin' Even your offhand comments make me laugh. I'd love to swap links. Your old stuff is still HILARIOUS!

Re: Forum up and running! - 08/11/08 09:24 AM

Ohhh, I see what y'all mean by not being able to edit. Sorry for the two posts, but I'd meant to say I can read these forums without my glasses. Which is cool because with trifocals I have the hardest time figuring out which part to look through.

Re: Forum up and running! - 08/11/08 11:00 PM

The calendar is great. Does that mean Chick isn't keeping us posted anymore on birthdays? I'll miss her stupendous cakes...

Re: Forum up and running! - 08/12/08 05:36 AM

Speaking of calendars...
August
1- Rounds Resounding Day
2- National Friendship Day
3- National Bratwurst Day
4- National Mustard Day
5- Atomic Bomb Day
6- National Fresh Breath Day
8- Sneak Zucchini Day
9- National VEEP Day
11- National Kool-Aid Days
12- Texas Pioneer's Day
13- International Left Hander's Day
14- Liberty Tree Day
15- National Relaxation Day
16- National Tell A Joke Day
18- Bad Poetry Day
19- Potatoes Day
20- National Homeless Animals Day
22- Be An Angel Day
23- Plumbers Day
25- National Kiss and Make-Up Day
26- National Make Your Own Lucky Day Day
27- Petroleum Day
28- National Race Your Mouse Around the Icons Day
29- More Herbs and Less Salt Day
31- National Box Car Day

Re: Forum up and running! - 08/12/08 06:11 AM

And don't forget hug a Queen day....

Re: Forum up and running! - 08/12/08 06:59 AM

Uhhhh...is that today?
C'mere Queenie.

Re: Forum up and running! - 08/12/08 11:20 AM

We'll have to have an icon party on the 28th! Yippee!!! BYOI (and BYOM too, I guess)

Re: Forum up and running! - 08/12/08 11:29 AM

We need to invent our own Holiday, just for boomers, and get the Dotster to submit it...wanna? What could we call it.

Chick...thanks, Babe! I feel loved! (and squashed!)

Re: Forum up and running! - 08/12/08 11:39 AM

Originally Posted By: jawjaw
And don't forget hug a Queen day....

Uh, how did I miss this one? Sending a heart-warmed hug to the loveliest Queen I know. whistle

Re: Forum up and running! - 08/15/08 08:15 PM

Dotsie, thank you for having the quote box fixed!

Re: Forum up and running! - 08/15/08 09:12 PM

I am finally up and running too. The new comuter is fantastic and worth all the time and expense. Missed you guys even for those few days. Hope all's well here.
My Lord, it's hot here today. I am hiding in the house from 112* temps. The kittens are getting around pretty good now and they are a real hoot, into everything...Love you all...
HUGS

Re: Forum up and running! - 08/15/08 09:13 PM

Glad to have you back, our chatty girl.

Re: Forum up and running! - 08/15/08 09:37 PM

Knew where you were and glad you're back. Now where is da Queen?
Posted by: ShipMate

Re: Forume up and running! - 09/07/08 09:31 PM

I noticed that too because I was going to respond to that...I'm doing some major re-defining...but can't see the forum when logged in....
SM

Re: Forume up and running! - 09/08/08 12:00 AM

Queen JJ is taking care of business as a friend and is also here off and on. No matter where we are gals are, our hearts are here, hers is no different.

Re: Forume up and running! - 09/08/08 02:41 PM

Don't forget today is sneak a zucchini day, per the gimster!

Re: Forume up and running! - 09/08/08 02:42 PM

Oh sorry; guess that was just for August!