The neighborhood ice cream man

Posted by: Di

The neighborhood ice cream man - 04/30/08 03:13 AM

Gosh, we had three...Mr. Softee (he played music so sorry I cannot replicate it here. But if anyone wants to call me, I'll hum it for you!! LOL) Good Humor (jing-a-ling-a-ling!) and the Italian Ice Man. (jingle, jingle, jingle!)

Mr. Softee's driver was Bob. Mom did not allow me to get it often since I was a fat kid. BUT, I always stood on the corner where he parked. Mrs. B could not stand to see me pout, so she always bought me a small cone!! I liked the Chocolate Cone with Sprinkles.

Good Humor's best was "Chocolate Chip Candy" and, once you got to the stick, it had a chocolate bar inside!

The Italian Ice man (we lived in a predominately Italian neighborhood in NJ) was Cherry, Lemon, Spumoni, Vanilla, Chocolate. Yum! We always got multi flavors in one cup. Remember those accordion-type white ice cups??

What 'bout your ice cream man??
Posted by: yonuh

Re: The neighborhood ice cream man - 04/30/08 03:36 AM

I remember that! We never had money for ice cream, though. When my kids were little, we had an ice cream truck that came around - they always heard it before we did! There is an ice cream truck here in our neighborhood - I think he makes the rounds all year!
Posted by: Sadie

Re: The neighborhood ice cream man - 04/30/08 03:21 PM

Oh, that Good Humor man in the white truck with his white uniforum and his every so funny hat . Sometimes he was and old guy and later at night he was a young fellow that the girls would flert with LOL. Oh, I use to love the rocky ice cream with the vanilla ice cream and choc orange cream bars and oh so yummy and popsicles in all favors and how refreshing on a hot summer night .

Oh, those were the fun days . No wonder I was a skinny kid chasing the ice cream amn up the street for years .

We would heard him coming right after dinner and have to chase him up the street , yelling " Wait a Minute , Wait a minute and about six or seven us kids would have to chase him , crazy guy LOL . I can see us all running down . I think he did it on purpose . Haaa.....

Nice memories

Renee