Remember Pac Man?

Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

Remember Pac Man? - 05/21/10 06:48 PM

Just read that Pac Man, the game, is turning 30.

Pac Man Turns 30

While I don't have much time to play video games these days, I couldn't help but think about the iconic music at the video arcade, and remember those days when you had to leave the house to play game like this... Do you have any fun Pac Man memories?

Anne
Posted by: yonuh

Re: Remember Pac Man? - 05/21/10 07:16 PM

No, but the Google home page today is a PacMan icon - and you can actually play the game.
Posted by: jabber

Re: Remember Pac Man? - 05/23/10 01:38 PM

Anne,
We have Pac Man; I love playing that game. Haven't played it in
a long, long time but 'tis a fun thing to do. WB was always
better at it than I, but I still had fun!
Posted by: AvalonBlondi

Re: Remember Pac Man? - 05/24/10 04:41 AM

When my kids were little my son had the PacMan gamee for Atari...I became addicted for one solid week snd had a swollen right hand from gripping the joystick for so many hours...which caused ridicule from my friends resulting in profuse embarrassment to my son...reluctantly I gave it up...

Of course now I am addicted to the computer...:) And my son doesn't mind smile

Re: Remember Pac Man? - 05/24/10 01:13 PM

Blondi,
I'm addicted to the computer, too! Know the feeling!

Re: Remember Pac Man? - 05/24/10 11:15 PM

I had an Atari set, in fact I still have it. Loved those
space, shoot 'em up games and all that stuff!

Pac Man turns 30 and I'm turning 39 again, and again, and
again! lol...
Posted by: chatty lady

Remember Needles and Thread? - 06/05/10 12:58 AM

I found a small rip in a robe I just love wearing and set out to find my sewing kit which I realized I hadn't seen in years. After about two hours of looking, found the stupid thing and upon opening it felt like I was in a foreigh land. I have all kinds of sewing stuff, needles, threads and scissors and stuff I have no idea what its for. I even found one of those strawberry shaped red pin cushions. Talk about strange, I can't believe I use to use all this stuff.

Re: Remember Needles and Thread? - 06/05/10 02:14 PM

I have a pin cushion shaped like a tomato. Your post made me go find my sewing box, Chatty. I only use it any more for repairs or sewing on buttons. The box was Mom's and is a big one with three layers of storage. I also have a huge jar of buttons - I have no idea when I'll ever use them - but they are there if I ever need a button. If I remember, the last time I was trying to match a lost button, nothing in the jar matched, so I ended up replacing all the buttons on my blouse.
Posted by: browser57

Re: Remember Needles and Thread? - 06/05/10 03:41 PM

I NEED one of those.....(pin cushion) Especially one with the little needle sharpener attached!! A group I volunteer with does a Christmas Boutique and I have been hand sewing (blanket stitching) around the edges of felt table runners. My needle gets dull after only a few stitches and it's driving me nuts. I've looked at Target and a few of the stores in my area, but it looks like I'll have to hike to the fabric store - if they even sell those things anymore. I have 6 more runners to finish. Keep those buttons, too. We have made bracelets with the buttons (with a shank on the back) and they are so cute. The more buttons-the better.

Re: Remember Needles and Thread? - 06/05/10 04:37 PM

Browser, the bracelets sound intriguing; how do you make them? I don't have a needle sharpener - didn't know there were such things. Have you searched on the Internet?
Posted by: browser57

Re: Remember Needles and Thread? - 06/05/10 07:35 PM

There used to be a 'strawberry' looking little thing attached to the pin cushion that was a needle sharpener. It had something like sand in it and just a few jabs with your dull needle would sharpen the tip. Funny, the things we remember. My Mom couldn't sew a stitch but my Grandmother would make my entire school wardrobe every year when I was in elementary school. She lived in Ohio and we were in Michigan. She would have my Mom measure me, and sometime in August, my new wardrobe would appear. She would make doll clothes from the scraps. I still have a few of those packed away awaiting grandchildren - but that's not happening anytime soon. ;o((

Several of the gals in my group are wonderful jewelry makers. So, they do all the beading, etc., and I watch. But, the bracelets were buttons attached to a chain. Some were also on elastic - but the more buttons they could hook on the better they looked. I have been looking for jars of buttons at tag sales and you would not believe what they want for them. I saw one jar in Canada for $35. Buttons - who knew?!?!?

Re: Remember Needles and Thread? - 06/05/10 07:41 PM

I think I picked up a jar of buttons at a thrift store for a couple of dollars, but that was several years ago. $35? Wow!

Re: Remember Needles and Thread? - 06/06/10 12:31 AM

Well you know they do say the older something gets the more valuable it becomes. All except for us, we just get old...ugh!

Re: Remember Needles and Thread? - 06/06/10 12:40 AM

No, Chatty, I don't believe we just get old. I believe we 'weather' and gain valuable insight and wisdom. Now, if people would just listen to us we could fix everything! smile
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: Remember Needles and Thread? - 06/06/10 07:38 AM

I have a tin of buttons..memories of garments,collect ribbons notions and like a squirrel have a stash of haberdashery!!! thats a lost word..
Posted by: AvalonBlondi

Re: Remember Needles and Thread? - 06/06/10 07:56 AM

I love that word Mountain Ash.."haberdashery" It conjures up so many memories of my handsome father..memories of tweed jackets, argyle socks, gold cufflinks, silk ties with a golden tie bar, monogrammed hankerchiefs..

wow..I really miss my dad tonight!!!

Thanks for reminding me my dear friend...:)

Re: Remember Needles and Thread? - 06/06/10 11:28 PM

I agree Yonuh completely..........
I can't believe how much attention this thread has gotten. I've started so many over the years but this one seems to be a real winner. I am so happy its conjured up so many happy memories.

Re: Remember Needles and Thread? - 06/17/10 02:00 PM

A thread about thread? Now there has to be something profound
in that. I also have a strawberry type pin cushion and I open
my sewing kit, once every 3 years or so, mostly to re attach a button.

Re: Remember Needles and Thread? - 06/17/10 09:42 PM

IN my sewing kit I still have the original measuring tape that came with it when I received it as a shower gift in 1957. The strawberry is original as are many of the gadgets I can't remember what they are for anymore. The stick pins with round colored ball heads. Guess no one can say I don't take care of my stuff.

Re: Remember Needles and Thread? - 06/18/10 11:39 PM

1957, those were the days, my friend.

Remember, "Silver Threads and Golden Needles?"
Posted by: Songbird

Re: Remember Needles and Thread? - 06/21/10 05:17 PM

Wow! It's been a while since I did some sewing, other than a button or two here and there. I used to sew and hem and mend too... not so long ago. And I love the buttons, the trims, and all the gadgets we hardly use any more.

I had sewing patterns, fabrics and other things that eventually I gave away, and or threw away for lack of space.

Sewing, by hand or machine is a blessing. It's a shame not many young girls learn these days the skills of life.
Posted by: Louisa

Re: Remember Needles and Thread? - 07/02/10 06:39 PM

I remember all that. I also remember sticking myself with pins and needles, trying to thread a needle with an eye that seemed smaller than the thread itself, using those flimsy paper patterns and pinning them to the material and the paper ripping all over the place, sewing a button on only to find it didn't line up with the hole. And I remember some of the dresses I made. LOL
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Remember Needles and Thread? - 07/03/10 01:14 PM

I took some sewing lessons and right along with cake decorating, I was a dunce. Then again, I hated sewing. I love crafts of all kind, just not anything to do with sewing. Of course nowadays, I would be lucky to see well enough to thread a needle!

Re: Remember Needles and Thread? - 07/03/10 02:30 PM

Remember when WE were the ones our moms or grandmothers asked to thread the needle for them?

Re: Remember Needles and Thread? - 07/03/10 03:19 PM

Yes, I do! Thank goodness for needle threaders, though I sometimes have a problem getting that through the eye, even with my contact lenses.

Re: Remember Needles and Thread? - 07/03/10 09:19 PM

LOL

Re: Remember Needles and Thread? - 07/11/10 07:29 PM

I hate sewing, but admire those who can. Grandma was a wonderful
seamstress and cook and human being. I'm waiting for my kids
to arrive from S.C.; last I heard, they were in W.Va. near the
Pa. border. It takes about 5 hours to drive from there to here.
My son's three daughters are all grown and I'm looking forward
to having a fun week! Just felt like sharing. Prayers and blessings,

Re: Remember Needles and Thread? - 07/11/10 07:31 PM

How exciting, Jabber! Have a wonderful week with your family.

Re: Remember Needles and Thread? - 07/12/10 09:20 PM

Thank you yonuh! We've had a blast so far! Love it!

Re: Remember Needles and Thread? - 07/12/10 11:21 PM

I bet the girls are so anxious to see their grandma. Wait until they find out what a beautiful person you are inside and outside and so COOL!!!
Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

Re: Remember Needles and Thread? - 07/20/10 09:35 PM

Yonuh, I just found this discussion again and got intrigued by the button bracelet discussion.

I Googled on "button bracelet" and a lot of links came up. This one looked fairly interesting: button bracelets

Let me know if you decide to try this!

Anne

Re: Remember Needles and Thread? - 07/21/10 12:46 AM

WOW! Those are really beautiful and look nothing like buttons... I never heard of that type button before. I bet those would sell at the Craft markets...