Torn Toenail

Posted by: Vicki M. Taylor

Torn Toenail - 06/07/08 10:04 PM

We just came home from the Emergency Room. Jack tore his toenail getting it caught in a quilt on our bed. The ER vet had to sedate him and remove the toenail. The poor baby is sleeping off the sedation on our bed.

We have to be so careful about what is around our pets and what they can get into that can hurt them. I've turned the quilt inside out so that the smooth side is showing. No more quilted side where he can get his nails caught anymore.

I feel so bad for him. The vet says his nail will grow back, thank goodness.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Torn Toenail - 06/07/08 10:22 PM

I will pray for your dear Jack. Hey God loves the animals too...
Posted by: Dee

Re: Torn Toenail - 06/08/08 01:17 AM

Glad to hear Jack will be okay. Our babies (pets) are precious to us and when they hurt, we hurt.

when I cross stitched my cat Sassy chewed off the needle from a piece I was working on and swallowed it...my back was turned for only a minute...I turned around in time to see the thread disappear into her mouth and in shock I watched her swallow it down. I was crawling all over the floor looking for the needle hoping I was imagining everything. An X-ray showed it sitting in her stomach and she was lucky it hadn't moved to her intestines...that would be have really bad. $400 later and a stomach surgery, the needle was removed. I no longer have cats or do cross stitch.

Re: Torn Toenail - 06/08/08 12:08 PM

Jack is much more cheerful this morning. Much more like his normal self. But, he's still a bit awkward with the bandage on his right foot. He can't figure out how to walk on it, or walk on 3 legs. The poor pitiful little thing.

I've removed the quilt altogether from the bed. I'm not taking any chances. And, he was giving it looks like he was scared of it, so off it went.

Dee, you're so lucky you caught that needle early.

Thank you Anne and Chatty.

The one thing Jack is really going to miss is his morning and afternoon 1 mile walks through the neighborhood. We won't be doing that for a while.
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Torn Toenail - 06/08/08 01:45 PM

In honor of JACK...God's speed, Mr. J!

The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
- Anonymous

Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.
- Ann Landers

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went.

- Will Rogers

There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.

- Ben Williams

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.

- Josh Billings

I wonder if other dogs think poodles are members of a weird religious cult.

- Rita Rudner

Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog.

- Franklin P. Jones

If your dog is fat, you aren't getting enough exercise.

- Unknown

My dog is worried about the economy because Alpo is up to $3.00 a can.
That's almost $21.00 in dog money.

- Joe Weinstein

If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them.

- Phil Pastoret

My goal in life is to be a person as good as my dog already thinks I am.

- Unknown

Re: Torn Toenail - 06/08/08 02:07 PM

Thanks, JJ... Jack barks his thanks too.

Here's a poor pitiful glimpse of his life right now

http://www.vickimtaylor.com/pics/data/519/medium/P6080009.JPG

if it gives you the pop up, the name is jack and the password is bailey

Re: Torn Toenail - 06/08/08 02:13 PM

JJ...no greater words of wisdom...
Posted by: jabber

Re: Torn Toenail - 06/08/08 02:21 PM

VMT,
Jack is a cutie! Hope his paw is better real soon!

JJ,
Those sayings are awesome. When I die, I want to go to doggy heaven!
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Torn Toenail - 06/08/08 03:37 PM

Ahhh...he looks so pitiful! God luv him! But soon he will be back to his wonderful, playful self! That's the good news!

Re: Torn Toenail - 06/09/08 06:07 PM

Anne the name is jack and the password is bailey

Re: Torn Toenail - 06/10/08 12:46 PM

Vicki, is Jack a spitz? He's beautiful and looks sad...Thank goodness for vets, ey? Glad to hear he'll be okay.

Re: Torn Toenail - 06/10/08 10:49 PM

Jack is an American Eskimo... I think they used to be called Spitz.. or were similar to Spitz..

Took Jack to the vet today for follow up. The nail bed was infected, so the vet had to sedate him again, and clean it up. Jack is in bed now, relaxing. He finally got to eat something a bit ago. Jack has to wear an e-collar and has to keep his bandage on for 5 more days.

He's in some serious pain, so dr gave him another kind of pain pill. Let's hope it works.

I'll get a picture of him with is cone.

Re: Torn Toenail - 06/11/08 03:41 PM

Sorry to hear Jack's going through so much pain...yikes..poor thing. Molly had to wear a cone and she hated every minute of it but I had to keep her from chewing and it worked.

Can't wait to see the photo of Jack.

The reason I asked if Jack was a spitz...when I was a little girl, Mamaw had a dog that looked just like Jack...her name was Puddles and was the size of a spaniel. You don't see them often around here. Jack is a precious looking dog.

Re: Torn Toenail - 06/12/08 02:41 PM

Cone head Jack

http://www.vickimtaylor.com/pics/data/519/medium/P6110002.JPG
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Torn Toenail - 06/12/08 08:49 PM

Vicki some box pops up when trying to see Jacks picture that says Authorization Required. Wow, thats some security you have there..

Re: Torn Toenail - 06/12/08 08:54 PM

Chatty, username Jack, password bailey
Posted by: jabber

Re: Torn Toenail - 06/14/08 01:28 PM

Those cones are something. Aren't they? Jack's eyes look so big, like he can't wait for somebody to take that thing off of him. He's such a cute guy! Love him. Hope that foot is better real soon.