Christmas dog

Posted by: dejavu

Christmas dog - 11/29/10 12:08 AM

My DD#3, the one who's living at home while going to grad school, has begged for years for a dog. Our family dog died several years ago and we hadn't gotten another pet. So today we went to the animal shelter and selected an adorable 9-week-old mutt puppy. She's got short straight hair, and looks like she'll remain very small, under ten pounds, although if she gets to 15, that'd be fine. The shelter will take her to the vet's tomorrow to get her check-up and shots, and we bought basic supplies today and can pick her up tomorrow. so DD#3 gets her big Christmas gift early but she couldn't be happier. I'm looking forward to having the little girl with us too. It's kind of a family gift!

Carolyn
Posted by: yonuh

Re: Christmas dog - 11/29/10 12:20 AM

Congratulations! And I'm so glad you got her from a shelter. Will they spay her before you bring her home?

Re: Christmas dog - 11/29/10 03:26 AM

she's too young to be spayed yet, but they'll give us a voucher to have it done when it's time.

Carolyn
Posted by: jabber

Re: Christmas dog - 11/29/10 03:20 PM

dejavu,
What a nice Christmas gift! This announcement is heartwarming!!!

My dog has a sister, now. MIL's yorkie mix is our adopted
child, too. So we have 2, count 'em 2, doggies as part of
our family.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Christmas dog - 12/02/10 11:07 AM

dejavu, I am thrilled you adopted a shelter dog, they so need us to watch out for them by giving them a home. You will have one very happy holiday with all the joy of giving, receiving and so many puppys kisses. God Bless you all!

Re: Christmas dog - 12/02/10 11:31 AM

Okay, here's a photo of our little lady, Lola.

Re: Christmas dog - 12/03/10 12:20 AM

What a doll she is. I bet my little Sassy would love having her to play with...

Re: Christmas dog - 12/03/10 02:50 AM

We ended up having to take her to the animal hospital today, and parvovirus was confirmed. Please keep her in your thoughts, anyone who reads this. She's a very sick little puppy.

Re: Christmas dog - 12/03/10 08:19 PM

We got a phone call from the animal hospital a little while ago. Lola got through the night all right and was able to eat a little food today and keep it down, so these are good signs.

Carolyn
Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

Re: Christmas dog - 12/03/10 08:22 PM

She's such a cutie! Love the intelligent look in her eyes and the darling ears. Hope she's feeling better soon!

Learning that Lola is so sick reminds me of the "shelter cat" I brought home years ago. He was full-grown, black with white paws and ended up being very sick too.

He was to be my son's cat and Zach named him "Boots" because of the paws. But he wheezed so loudly my son starting referring to him as "Darth," (as in Star Wars.)

Then once we got him home from the vet he turned out to be quite good at snitching stuff.

so before long the name "Boots" was totally forgotten and the poor cat was forever and always known as "Darth Raider."

Re: Christmas dog - 12/03/10 08:45 PM

I am so sorry poor Lola is sick. We had a puppy with parvo once - he survived. I think if you get medical care right away, chances are good that the dog will recover. Keep us posted.

Re: Christmas dog - 12/07/10 11:59 AM

I love that name, Darth Raider! Lolaisdoindwellenough now to get into trouble. Always a good sign!

Carolyn

Re: Christmas dog - 12/07/10 02:48 PM

Glad she's doing better!

Re: Christmas dog - 12/08/10 12:39 AM

I hope Lola is well and fiesty for Christmas and ever after...

Re: Christmas dog - 12/12/10 03:30 PM

Update on Lola. She's had a couple more ups and downs, but in the last 24 hours is showing a MARKED improvement, with a great appetite and lots of pep. I think we're over the hump.

Thanks for all the well-wishes!

Carolyn

Re: Christmas dog - 12/12/10 04:14 PM

I am so glad! I hate when my little furry ones are sick. Hope she continues to improve.

Re: Christmas dog - 12/14/10 12:16 PM

So, now I have to REALLY get going on my Christmas preparations. I'm really behind. The only thing I've done so far (and thank goodness for that!) is order quite a few of my gifts via the internet. Last night we put up the tree, but i haven't decorated it yet - wanted to see what Lola thought of it. So far, she hasn't paid any real attention. it's a fake tree, so maybe she won't be impressed, and I'll leave the bottom branches a bit bare.

Today, out to the stores to get the things I still need. Wish me luck!

Carolyn

Re: Christmas dog - 12/14/10 02:14 PM

dejavu,
I love Lola. She's so cute. Sorry she contracted Parvo, I understand that's nasty stuff. Glad she's better. Hope all of you have a happy, healthy, fun-filled Christmas!

We have two dogs now, my MIL'S baby is living with us. She has
always loved it here and has adjusted better than the rest of us.

17 Puppies...? - 12/22/10 02:48 PM

Did you see that story about the dog birthing 17 puppies, and
all of them lived and look healthy. That's incredible. crazy

OOPS: Thought I started a new thread here. Guess not!