What is our job?

Posted by: Di

What is our job? - 11/12/07 06:02 PM

In your opinion, what is your job or roll in being a stepparent?
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: What is our job? - 11/12/07 07:39 PM

To be bound to someone bcause you love their parent.
I would imagine the person as a baby in a new world and honour their existance.
But I imagine people in their baby role often and feel compassion.
We are here for such a short time and life should be happy for us.
Mountain ash
Posted by: orchid

Re: What is our job? - 11/12/07 11:46 PM

To be a good friend at each stage of their life. If they wish, to mentor in areas where their natural talent/skills need some coaxing.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: What is our job? - 11/14/07 03:36 PM

I imagine it's to show love and support, jsut like it is with any other human being.

I think it's especially important to support your husband in the ways he chooses to love his children.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: What is our job? - 11/17/07 10:15 PM

I'm not a stepparent but I do foster abused and homeless animals and to me the main job of anyone that fosters anyone or anything is LOVE, with a capital L...
Posted by: celtic_flame

Re: What is our job? - 11/18/07 09:48 PM

fairness and compasion and if you get to be their frend then listening to hurts or graviences regarding that parent (your partner) and trying to smoth things over, no easie task for anyone anyweer lol
Posted by: wordscribe

Re: What is our job? - 01/09/08 04:39 PM

I think it's important to become aware that you are also a role model for the child.

Also, I think your role is ideal if it becomes something related to "the fun aunt" role, maybe a vague type of parental figure that's more relaxed than the biological parents. Because in my case, my stepson's mother did a phenomenal job in raising him, so he most definitely did not need two mothers.
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: What is our job? - 01/09/08 05:10 PM

And I think it is important to recognize that you have different roles at different stages in their lives. You wouldn't treat or show the same type of support to a four year old that you would a 30-something year old.

Also, think about this. If it were YOUR child, what role would you want your mate to play in their lives? Just reverse it. Makes you think, doesn't it?