Mega Millions Lottery

Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

Mega Millions Lottery - 03/30/12 10:34 PM

I started paying attention to tonight's Mega Millioins drawing earlier today, when I saw a segment on the Today show where Suze Orman talked about what to do if you won...

The darn thing is at at least $640 million right now. And it looks to me like almost all states participate.

So here are Suze's tips, as I remember them:

* Sign your ticket immediately, if it's the winner.

* Then make a copy of it and put the copy in a safe place - I think she was suggesting a safe deposit box.

* Do NOT tell friends and neighbors you have the winning ticket.

* Contact an attorney who will represent you.

Good luck to any one you who have entered. The big drawing is later tonight. And when I was at the grocery store earlier today, I noted that the cashier running the lotto machine was doing a steady business.
Posted by: yonuh

Re: Mega Millions Lottery - 03/31/12 12:43 AM

The odds are huge against winning, but if you're that one lucky person, odds don't mean a thing!
Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

Re: Mega Millions Lottery - 03/31/12 12:58 AM

I did a quick pick for a buck, Yonuh. I don't regularly play the lottery -- I'm one of those people who puts in a dollar every year or so when the jackpot gets huge.

I know the odds are totally against me, but as my mechanic said - he was in line behind me and spent five bucks - you can't possibly win if you don't play. I figured I could afford to lose a dollar, just for the fun of imagining what I could do if I won.
Posted by: orchid

Lottery: knowing someone who won - 03/31/12 02:33 AM

A work colleague who sits 20 ft. away from me, won a charity lottery about 6 months ago.

It was a car..an Audi I think. So they decided to take the cash for value of the car ($70,000CAN) instead of the car since they already had a car.

Their existing car was dying anyway. And since a car depreciates in value, they sold the old car for scrap and bought a 2nd hand car for under $5,000CAN. The winnings were used to pay down debt and also for a trip to Italy this fall.
Posted by: jabber

Re: Lottery: knowing someone who won - 03/31/12 01:33 PM

It's great to hear about people winning who actually can use the cash.