Well, allrighty then...

Posted by: Dianne

Well, allrighty then... - 02/21/05 09:09 AM

Here's a question for ya. When do you finally, at last, without a doubt, realize and understand: He just doesn't get it? He's brain dead? Give up? He's hopeless? You tell him what you need, want, hope for, wish for...yada...but he just kind of ignores you? I'm not talking about abuse although this could be a form of abuse...pretending to be so freaking brain dead, although he's on the genius level? I really need your input because a woman, who emailed me, is going though this and I'm confused...what's new?

He provides for her...is a nice guy (depending on what you think a nice guy is or does) but he's not fulfilling her emotionally. He ignores her requests, although they aren't like...don't hit me anymore...just pay attention to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Listen to what I'm doing, my project, my interests!

You are all so smart and know, well, know so much, I need your input before I respond to her emails. Meric, thank you, Gracias.
Posted by: smilinize

Re: Well, allrighty then... - 02/21/05 09:21 AM

This sounds wimpy, but I wonder if she is listening to him. Men need appreciation and honor and sometimes we have to fake it til we make it. She might consciously do that for a while and see if he changes his attentiveness to her. Just a thought.
smile
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: Well, allrighty then... - 02/21/05 12:25 PM

Genius has nothing to do with common sense or emotional availability. I'm married to a PhD who sticks his head in the sand if what I say, is not what he wants to hear. He thinks that problems can be solved by pretending everything is all right.

Maybe this woman's husband is like that. Maybe he feels the emotional stuff is over his head. Maybe he thinks she asks for too much. Maybe he thinks that emotional demonstrativeness is "womens' stuff." And maybe, like smilinize suggested, he needs more attention from her.

There really isn't enough info here to give a less tentative answer.
Posted by: Debi

Re: Well, allrighty then... - 02/21/05 03:54 PM

I read this post and thought someone here was talking about my ex. While it's true it doesnt take a genius it does take common sense and love. My ex never cared about wht I did or wanted to do. And this was after I had spent hrs after he got off work , chin in the palms of my hands listening to every word of how his day went.

But i agree with Meredith that there really isnt enough here to make a sound judgement. We all need to be appriciated and cared about.

It may sound odd to ask , have they gone to cousoling?

Re: Well, allrighty then... - 02/21/05 06:22 PM

I don't have a clue. Maybe this is why I get worn down. My site and book are for abused women and I'm not a counselor but women and sometimes men email me asking me questions that I don't have answers for. Heck, my own husband is out in nah nah land when it comes to emotional things. But, if I respond, she's gonna keep emailing me...been there before. I'm thinking about just not answering. I'm not a therapist.
Posted by: Sherri

Re: Well, allrighty then... - 02/21/05 07:16 PM

Dianne, I think you are wise in not answering e-mails like that. Those women really need to see a professional. They will suck you dry if you let them and drain you emotionally. My vote is to not answer except to recommend a therapist.

Been there, done that.
Posted by: Vicki M. Taylor

Re: Well, allrighty then... - 02/22/05 04:02 AM

I agree with Debi and Sherri, Dianne. This woman hasn't given you enough details to form a logical answer, but beyond that, she needs to see a professional marriage counselor so that they can determine what is actually at the core of their "issues". Without hearing his side of the story, no solution can be found. A marriage is made up of two people and two people need to work on making it work.

[ February 21, 2005, 08:04 PM: Message edited by: Vicki M. Taylor ]
Posted by: Dannye

Re: Well, allrighty then... - 02/22/05 04:30 AM

Dianne,
I wouldn't ignore her. She gets enough of that already. However, I would simply respond by telling her that you are not a counselor and that it is extremely difficult for you to make judgments about what she should do. I suggest you advise her to seek some type of professional counseling if she can afford it. Some of the YWCAs have programs and counselors who can help.

If you feel inclined, you might also suggest that she sit down with pad and paper and list the pros and cons of her relationship to determine if her complaints are out of proportion to the value the relationship has for her. Tell her that whatever the result, the final decision on how to deal with her relationship has to be hers. No one else should make that decision for her. If she lets that happen, then she sets herself up to be the victim of someone else's decisions -- which is what she is allowing to happen with her husband, it seems. She is letting her happiness depend on his actions. And, of course, true happiness can never be found outside ourselves. Although it may not be our preference, it is possible to be truly happy in the midst of chaos. We don't always manage it, but that's why they call the process of growth hard work.
LOL [Smile]
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Well, allrighty then... - 02/22/05 04:58 AM

Dianne my suggestion was rather wordy but my computer hic-cupped again and I lost it. In a sentence, give her this Boomer site and tell her to contact we women who have mostly all "been there-done that." She needs to be ready to be forth coming and expect to hear straight from the hip advice, no molly coddling. This could fix both problems, hers and yours with her. Not ignoring her but giving her another avenue to explore. She won't be ignored here and find out she's not alone by any chance.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Well, allrighty then... - 02/22/05 07:56 PM

There are some excellent thoughts here. Dianne, feel free to send her here. We'll do our best.

She needs to discover if she can stay in the relationship and get the emotional fulfillment from other relationships. Also, is she financially dependent on him?

Re: Well, allrighty then... - 02/22/05 09:27 PM

Okey Dokey, I'll send her the link. Up to her after that. Dotsie, maybe you should delete this thread in case she comes here?

Re: Well, allrighty then... - 02/24/05 01:42 AM

Dianne, check for a private email.
Posted by: Danita

Re: Well, allrighty then... - 02/25/05 12:46 PM

Hi ladies,

Here's my two cents on the subject....

My husband has been pretty clueless for 20 years...but I made a decision to be happily married..and to honor him and see him as an "amazing husband". (believe my, at times it has been VERY difficult to think this way).

Something has happened to him as of late. He looks at me and thanks me for all of my hard work (household, homeschooling, building a business from home, being his sex-slave (just kidding)). It's like he has awaken from a fog.

I have always treated him with respect and adoration (I love him deeply)..and I believe at last it is begining to pay off.

I know it doesn't work that way for everyone - but it is amazing to see the turn around in my marriage. I had pretty well given up hope. (remember in my introduction I said I was happily married for at least 5 more years. I had given him a "5 yr warning"..the kids will be grown -- then we can renogitiate our contract. Ha)

I agree that this lady may just need a friend. Sometimes people just need to talk. We don't have to have the answers!

As long as there is life - there is hope!

Danita

Re: Well, allrighty then... - 02/25/05 07:26 PM

I usually invite them to come to my site so they can get more than one viewpoint and maybe, make some friends on the site. There is only so much of me to go around and I get tired sometimes.

I think what you did in your marriage is amazing.

Re: Well, allrighty then... - 02/25/05 07:48 PM

Danita, thanks for sharing. It's refreshing to hear stories that give hope for marriages.

Ladies, I'm going to delelte this message this weekend so Dianne can invite this woman to our forums.
Posted by: DonnaJ

Re: Well, allrighty then... - 02/25/05 10:37 PM

Danita, I listen to Newlife.com all the time, and one of the things they say is that if you can hang on for five years, your marriage can stay together. You are living proof!

Re: Well, allrighty then... - 02/25/05 11:56 PM

Donna,

Its a miracle, really. I don't know what has happened.

I gave up years ago -- having things "my way" (i.e. romantic husband who idolized me. ha)

I actually decided that God was my husband and provider. I guess it took the pressure off of my husband.

There have been times I have been very sad about our situation- I've always said if I had a magic wand - I would wave it, and my husband would love and appreciate me deeply. Very basic desire, huh.

I began building a bussiness about a year and a half ago - that has transformed ME.

I get dressed up - I go out and meet people - I am being successful, I have a vision for MY life! (and I'm taking him to Las Vegas AND Hawaii this year!) I can't help but think it has made my hubby look at me in a new way.

It has also giving me the confidence to say, "hey, in 5 yrs when the kids are gone - if YOU are still miserable then we can renogiate our marriage contract".

I don't want to spend my latter years alone - but I don't want to spend them either with a miserable man (who has NO GOOD REASON) to be miserable!

He's coming around. I think it's a combo of things - but it is precious!

As long as there is life there is hope - for ourselves, our husbands, our children -- for everyone.

Thankful Hugs,
danita

Re: Well, allrighty then... - 02/26/05 03:55 AM

Personally I wish you all the luck in the world and hope you get all your wishes. It's nice to hear about a half way happy marriage anyway, and yes, there is hope of on kind or another.

Oh and being alone at any age is just a state of mind... [Razz]

Re: Well, allrighty then... - 02/26/05 06:45 PM

Thanks Chatty.

I'm not waiting around for him to fulfill all my wishes - I'm going forward with my life - with or without him.

I agree about being alone...and also being happy. That too is a state of mind and a decision!

I think I've gotten "bolder" in my "old age"...isn't that what happens. We stop worrying so much about the world - what it wants - what it thinks - and start taking care of ourselves. It's been like this for me.

It's been quite a revelation. I like being grown up!

D.

Re: Well, allrighty then... - 02/27/05 01:25 AM

Amen to that Danita. As we age and (hopefully) mature we cast off the little girl ideals of happiness and become women with realistic goals and desires, at least most of us do and I pity those that remain clouded in the movies and romance novels versions of what happiness and true love should be like. PPLLLEEEAAAASSSEEE!! give me a break? [Roll Eyes]
Posted by: unique

Re: Well, allrighty then... - 02/27/05 01:49 AM

....nice work if you can find it.... [Razz] I keep kissing princes that turn into toads.
Posted by: msdiana

Re: Well, allrighty then... - 06/03/05 12:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dianne:
Here's a question for ya. When do you finally, at last, without a doubt, realize and understand: He just doesn't get it? He's brain dead? Give up? He's hopeless? You tell him what you need, want, hope for, wish for...yada...but he just kind of ignores you? I'm not talking about abuse although this could be a form of abuse...pretending to be so freaking brain dead, although he's on the genius level? I really need your input because a woman, who emailed me, is going though this and I'm confused...what's new?

He provides for her...is a nice guy (depending on what you think a nice guy is or does) but he's not fulfilling her emotionally. He ignores her requests, although they aren't like...don't hit me anymore...just pay attention to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Listen to what I'm doing, my project, my interests!

You are all so smart and know, well, know so much, I need your input before I respond to her emails. Meric, thank you, Gracias.

while the couple in the original post may have come to some terms, it's worth noting for those who may still be struggling as their marriages fall apart that there is another possible reason for the husband's behavior...
passive-aggressive personality disorder is a very real and very destructive communication style...the man is not passive, then aggressive...he is both at the same time...it's an elusive form of communicating that flies under the radar of even the most experienced marriage counselors and often leaves the wife hostile, frustrated, and to blame...
"living with the passive aggressive man" by scott wetzler adequately defines and illustrates life with this kind of man...while offering advice on how to deal with him, it's really more of a tool for identifying what's really going on...any woman living with this man and armed with a highlighter will find herself running out of ink by the middle of the book...
very few woman who have been married for a significant length of time actually get wound around the axel just because he isn't paying attention...it's more likely that this is the only symptom of unhappiness that she's able to identify in concrete terms...the rest of what he does, or more specifically doesn't do (and yes, not doing is a choice, an action, and therefore it's doing something) that drives her up the wall but isn't easily identified is probably more to the core of the problem...
personally, i wouldn't take my marriage to any counselor that isn't familiar with passive-aggressive personalities and didn't have experience counseling this type of person...

[ June 03, 2005, 05:42 AM: Message edited by: msdiana ]

Re: Well, allrighty then... - 06/03/05 03:10 PM

Diana, thanks for sharing. You may help open some eyes that need opening.

You mention counselors. Finding a good counselor is key. How many people have been given poor advice from someone they trusted to give them good guidance? Perhaps their scope of expertise is too broad. I don't believe counselors can speak to all areas of need. That's why it's important to research and get recommendations from trusted friends. Zero in on the perfect counselor for your specific need.
Posted by: DallasGal

Re: Well, allrighty then... - 06/03/05 04:58 PM

Dotsie, I believe that many counselors struggle with their own problems and also dealing with the emotions that come from having to help fix hopelessness that they sometimes miss the human element to each story. That human element is different and not textbook. Each situation is unique and requires close scrutiny by a wise and insightful individual to really get to the root of the problems.

The worst advice I ever heard from counselors was a marriage counselor during my first marriage who in front of me told my then husband that he should NEVER tell me about his indiscrections and affairs and that in the future he should just keep these things to himself. Trust me, you can have knocked me over with a feather, I looked at the counselor and said "Let me get this straight, you are encouraging my husband to not only continue to indulge destructive behavior that further isolates him from our marriage, keeps him self centered but potentially could put my health at risk b/c of STD's and an emotional divorce?" The guy stammered around and finally quibbed back with "well, him being honest with you hurts you." I was ticked...I said "No, HIM being UNFAITHFUL hurts me. The TRUTH is liberating." and I walked out.

The worse advice I ever received from a Pastor was also in my first marriage...I was young young young...and very green in my thinking and my then husband was presenting sexual situations that would involve not keep our marital relationship just between the two of us - I asked my Pastor what I should do because I felt that this kind of behavior was wrong and I didn't want to have any part of it. He looked at me, and told me straight up that I was not a "submitted wife" and needed to do whatever my husband asked me. Wow, I left the church at this time...it was not until I met Mike that I realized how wonderful being a "submitted wife" could be and that a husband who is doing what is right Loves and does not "seek his own".

Re: Well, allrighty then... - 06/04/05 07:53 AM

DallasGal, are you sure you weren't married to my ex? Hold my hair back while I puke.

Re: Well, allrighty then... - 06/03/05 08:36 PM

Hopefully your nausea is from the very horrible advice I was given by so-called "professionals" and not the idea of my enjoying being a submitted wife to a husband who puts my needs before his own?

I know I for one really thrive in my second marriage which is based on my meeting my husband's needs while he is meeting mine, instead of what was happening to me in my first marriage where hubby could not be faithful and thought everything in a marriage should be open and a part of our marriage, except common sense.

My 2nd marriage has been blessed with some wonderful advice. I especially like the advice from my in-laws when they told us to "Enjoy each other!" [Big Grin]

Re: Well, allrighty then... - 06/03/05 10:16 PM

I'm puking from the horrible advice you were given in regards to the sexual situation.

Re: Well, allrighty then... - 06/04/05 02:48 AM

Well, the interesting thing in the both the counselor and the Pastor were left by their wives who had affairs with other men...makes ya wonder if their opinions changed any when it was their own lives affected.

Re: Well, allrighty then... - 06/04/05 03:08 AM

I doubt it. They will both probably continue to blame the woman.