The Big V and don't mean Vegas

Posted by: DallasGal

The Big V and don't mean Vegas - 10/30/05 07:25 PM

Anyone have any experience with their guy getting a vasectomy? Hubby and I have been batting this one for awhile and I'm interested in hearing how other's guys coped with this?
Posted by: Danita

Re: The Big V and don't mean Vegas - 10/30/05 07:27 PM

It was nooo big deal for either hubby or myself. He took it like a man! (LOL)

No complications - no problems - no worries!

d.
Posted by: mrs_madness

Re: The Big V and don't mean Vegas - 10/30/05 10:30 PM

My husband got one 17 years ago. No after effects, no problems, no more babies, no more messy birth control.

I have just one caveat to offer. I insisted that he get the vasectomy just a month or two after we had our son at age 35. The pregnancy and labor and delivery were very fresh in my mind and I was SURE that I could never go through that again.

About 5 years later (at 40) I got a bad case of the baby blues. But the hubby had tied tubes and I was ageing and I couldn't bring myself to broach the subject and so I just let it slide....I now wish that (1) we had waited until the pain of labor and delivery had faded before we made the vasectomy decision and (2) I had had that late baby--which was by then of course, impossible.

Most methods of birth control are sloppy and inconvenient for sure. But take all the time you need to think it over very carefully before you make the decision to PERMANENTLY never ever have another child. Be 100% sure.

[ October 30, 2005, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: mrs_madness ]
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: The Big V and don't mean Vegas - 10/31/05 03:24 AM

OUCH!!! Better them than us I always say... [Wink]
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: The Big V and don't mean Vegas - 10/31/05 07:13 PM

mrsmadness, great point.

my hubby had the big v many years ago. IT was a breeze, and I think he's say the same thing.

I remember that day like it was yesterday. I had farmed the kids out after school so I could go with Ross. Our youngest was being picked up by Pop-Pop (my dad). He was about six at the time. Pop-Pop picked him up and took him to a local soccer game. While in the car, sonny boy told Pop-Pop that Daddy was having an operation so he couldn't make babies any more. To which Pop-Pop's reply was, "mm-hmm." Sonny boy proceded to talk about it and Pop-pop kept saying, "mm-hmm."(never one to talk about such things). Then sonny boy said, "Pop-Pop, did you have that operation?"

"Mmm-mmm" was his reply as he shook his head no.

"So you mean you and Mom-Mom can still make babies?"

My Dad got such a kick out of this. He told Mom, and she phoned to tell the whole family. My youngest is my most curious child. He'll ask anyone anything.
Posted by: The Power of Addicted Lov

Re: The Big V and don't mean Vegas - 11/02/05 06:03 PM

My ex husband got a "V" years ago. Thank god! I think he would have tripled the population by now if he hadn't.

With that given said.......if I remember correctly, it went relatively smooth. Had to lay on the couch with a frozen bag of pees between his "you know what" but he didn't complain much.

Teresa
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: The Big V and don't mean Vegas - 11/02/05 07:54 PM

Frozen bag of peas. Must be standard protocal across the nation!
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: The Big V and don't mean Vegas - 11/03/05 02:02 AM

Peas are good as corn might start a poppin, he, he!!! Better them than us ladies...
Posted by: Bluebird

Re: The Big V and don't mean Vegas - 11/03/05 02:11 AM

LOL
Posted by: yepthatsme2

Re: The Big V and don't mean Vegas - 11/03/05 03:18 AM

My first hard laugh...all day.
Thanks, Chatty.
Posted by: Prill

Re: The Big V and don't mean Vegas - 11/03/05 08:19 AM

My husband did the frozen peas thing, too! Like many guys, he was wary about getting "snipped"--that's what he called it--but I pulled a Lysistrata on him. In other words, I told him, "No vasectomy, no sex." I'd hemorrhaged on the IUD, gone crazy on the Pill, had one very painful miscarriage, and had all the kids either he or I wanted. I felt like it was his turn to take responsibility for birth control. Still, as I said, he was not excited about the prospect of having his manhood tampered with by some doc. But, being the sweet guy he is, he started researching the topic; and in the process, he mentioned the idea to his carpool. Every one of the guys--I think there were three--said, "Oh, I had that done years ago. No big deal." That's all my hubby needed to hear. A few weeks later, he was sitting on the couch with those frozen peas in his lap. [Wink]
Posted by: Prill

Re: The Big V and don't mean Vegas - 11/03/05 08:20 AM

P.S. It was the best thing he ever did for our sex life!
Posted by: Searcher

Re: The Big V and don't mean Vegas - 11/03/05 08:45 AM

Dearest Everyone,

Too funny!!

But High time they all take some responsibility - takes two to tango! And children donT get born by themselves! I'm all for equal responsibility on this one - peas included!

Searcher