Web hosting

Posted by: yonuh

Web hosting - 03/14/09 03:01 AM

I'm sure we've had this discussion before, but I couldn't find what I was looking for. I need to change my web site host so am looking for suggestions. I need one where I can build my own site without having to know a lot of technical stuff. My current host has a CPanel that is way too confusing for me to figure out. I want to totally revamp my web site so would be starting from scratch. I already have my domain name(s) all locked up. And I'm not looking for free, but low cost would be good.

I did a Google search; the results were overwhelming!

Any suggestions?
Posted by: Di

Re: Web hosting - 03/14/09 03:21 AM

What are you paying, Yonuh?
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Web hosting - 03/15/09 01:26 AM

Why not build a site using Google. I did and it is free.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Web hosting - 03/15/09 01:46 PM

How about WordPress? People think it's just for blogging, but you can create an entire site with them. A good book is WordPress for Dummies.
Posted by: yonuh

Re: Web hosting - 03/15/09 07:11 PM

Thanks for your suggestions. Di, I'm paying a little over $100 annually for the hosting. I have all my domains registered through GoDaddy for at least 2 years.

My beef isn't the price, I'll gladly pay what it's worth; it's the frustration with trying to upload, make changes, get web stats, etc. that's doing me in. I don't have time to read all the CPanel stuff; besides, most of it is in technical language, so it takes me a long time to figure out what they mean! All I want is a host where I can do everything on the web without all the techno-geeky language, most of which I don't understand.

Chatty & Dotsie, I'll check these out - thanks!
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Web hosting - 03/15/09 08:32 PM

Then I think you'll like WordPress. There's a little design stuff you have to figure out, but the rest is already coded and fairly easy to upload.
Posted by: orchid

Re: Web hosting - 03/15/09 08:55 PM

For his little biz, his company pays just a little over $150.00 CAN annually. It's about 1 gig of memor they get. Also approx. $15.00 annually to keep their domain name. It is directly related to the company name.

Best of luck for using the blogging technology to get your stuff up fast.
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: Web hosting - 03/27/09 11:00 PM

I have 1&1, $4/month for the basic level. Comes with its own pre-loaded web builder, although not many bells or whistles.
Posted by: andrewson

Re: Web hosting - 05/13/09 07:13 AM

I think you need to ensure that the domain name belongs to you and not to the web hosting company. This is true only if you have bought the domain name and hosting together as a package from one company. There have been several cases of unscrupulous companies who lured customers with the promise of free domain name that never belonged to the them!

Re: Web hosting - 06/17/09 02:09 AM

wordpress is reallie good and gogggle loves them at moment, and your right dotsie a whole sigh can be done with them, also thir. org web hosters blue and fast i think are prettie good also.

whats anyone take on the unlimited gig your ment to be able to nget?
anyone losing in dowentime for the unlimited load?
Posted by: Princess Lenora

Re: Web hosting - 06/19/09 03:36 AM

iPower Wed hosts my site. I delay and procrastinate on making changes because it is such a hassle. I hate it. I would love to pay the person who designed my site to update and make changes, but I can't afford the fees. But if I could, she is worth the money.
Posted by: celtic_flame

Re: Web hosting - 06/20/09 01:09 AM

PL thrs many that have a web desine bulder already bult into the servise so if you change you could buld and add changies. Tak old one as blue print add changies and its good to go. a lot of web bulding is the drag and drop type