Cell phones = impersonal

Posted by: Di

Cell phones = impersonal - 09/30/11 10:02 PM

With our cell phones as our only means of calling friends/family, this means that in-laws etc. never get to talk to my DH because I'm the only one who answers my phone.

Relationships start waning. Hence, families start drifting.

Bad news.
Posted by: yonuh

Re: Cell phones = impersonal - 09/30/11 10:18 PM

I don't think that's necessarily true for everyone, Di. When my family calls me on my cell, I always hand off the phone to my partner so he can talk to them, too. Plus, they email him sometimes, or he emails them something he thinks they'd enjoy.

Re: Cell phones = impersonal - 09/30/11 10:28 PM

Well, then it must be my DH who's the problem!! LOL!
Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

Re: Cell phones = impersonal - 10/01/11 01:03 AM

Even so, Di and Yonuh, don't you think there is generally one person in every couple who becomes responsible for family communication?

It has always been that way for me, anyway. I recall back in the 70s when I married my first husband, and letter writing was still a major form of communication between families. Once we married, Bill turned all the letter writing over to me. Suddenly I was even the one who wrote to his mother!

And I even recall writing to her that things were getting strained between the two of us.

Pretty weird!

Re: Cell phones = impersonal - 10/01/11 01:49 AM

Yeah, just like having the bill paying handed over, too. I want a break from it. (sorry wrong place to vent!)
Posted by: jabber

Re: Cell phones = impersonal - 10/03/11 01:55 PM

The only problem I see with the cell-phone issue is people using a phone when they're driving. I find that irritating. It's against the law here but many people ignore that law. Lots of folks walk around the malls and grocery stores with a phone to their ear. WB doesn't even answer our landline phone. Like Anne, I do all the communicating. I guess men think it's a woman thing like housework.
Posted by: Ellemm

Re: Cell phones = impersonal - 10/03/11 02:23 PM

I hear what you are saying, Di. You might want to fight fire with fire just a little bit and decline to be the only person to do the talking. I certainly pass the cell phone to my husband; in fact, I'm quick to say, "Oh, I'll bet you want to talk to _____. Here he is." Hah!

Sometimes I don't think he's all that hot to talk to some of his goofy relatives, but I do my bit. I'm not doing this all myself. Fortunately for us, though, people want and expect to talk to both of us. (And sometimes neither of us wants to talk to whoever it is, but you gotta do what you gotta do.) Good luck!

Re: Cell phones = impersonal - 12/05/11 12:29 AM

Anne,
I can't find your post that this is replying to. But I read, you said you keep your cell phone turned off, saving charge for when you need it. I keep my cell turned off but like the security of having it in case of an emergency. That being said, I charge it every couple of weeks. The mechanics of those cell phones are such, [with the clock, etc.] the battery runs down whether they're off or on. So methinks you may want to charge it every so often even though you seldom use it. IMHO! Just saying.

Re: Cell phones = impersonal - 12/05/11 06:38 PM

Thanks Jabber, I DO charge it periodically. it's charging now, thanks for the reminder! smile I have a variety of reminders set up in my computer - to remind me to change the furnace filter, to remind me to pay my monthly property owners association fees (they don't send an invoice), etc. Guess I ought to add a weekly phone charge reminder.

Re: Cell phones = impersonal - 12/05/11 07:26 PM

Anne,
One of your post's sounded as if you just let the device be without charging. And that got me to thinking when you needed it, there wouldn't be any juice. I must've misread what you were saying. Prayers and blessings...
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Cell phones = impersonal - 03/28/12 01:16 AM

In the instructions that came with my cell phone they adviseds I put it on the charger every nmight, overnight. I don't do that because I hardly ever use it since I can't get out these days..

Re: Cell phones = impersonal - 03/28/12 03:07 PM

Chatty,

It takes very little time to recharge my cell phone. And when it's full, a notice comes on the screen to unplug it to save energy. So I'm sitting here wondering why they tell you to keep it plugged in overnight, all night? Generally everybody is harping to save energy.

Re: Cell phones = impersonal - 03/28/12 06:27 PM

I agree, my newer android smart phone charges really quickly. My kids have gotten rid of their land lines and only use their cells. I wonder if I will ever decide to do that...

Re: Cell phones = impersonal - 03/29/12 01:20 PM

I still have a land line for the house too. Haven't decided to take out yet. I don't keep the cell phone on much.