Courses Anyone?

Posted by: jawjaw

Courses Anyone? - 02/16/09 05:36 PM

Is anyone exploring new avenues in education? Taking any new courses? Not necessarily at a college either. It could be courses in Martial Arts, Ceramics, Belly Dancing, whatever....I'm just curious as to whether any of you are trying something new. Yes? No?
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Courses Anyone? - 02/16/09 05:39 PM

I'm not taking a class in it, but I'm doing lots of research on blogging. I plan on getting the book Blogging for Dummies today. I wish there was a class for this nearby, but have never seen one. Perhaps there's an online class I could take. Good idea. Thanks for getting the mind clicking.

Belly dancing, hmmm - I think my belly dances around enough on its own. Holy Moly - shake, shake, shake!
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Courses Anyone? - 02/17/09 12:26 AM

Friend Lola from London, said just today that I should offer cooking classes. That would be fun, but I haven't enough room in my kitchen for anyone but me. I also would have to have costly insurance. Its a great idea but not the right time or place.

Re: Courses Anyone? - 03/03/09 11:32 PM

Went to look at the helicopters today at the hanger and am taking my first lesson next week if the weather and my nerve holds.
Posted by: Edelweiss3

Re: Courses Anyone? - 03/04/09 07:40 AM

So you are really going to do it Chatty? Good for you!!! I don't think I would have the nerve. I have a hard enough time just parking. But then again the spaces are tiny here in Germany. And you get that big blue sky to move around in. Wow is all I can say.
My computer genie is coming in 20 minutes, and we will be completing my web site course. Hopefully my site will be all polished and much nicer than before. I'll let you all know when you can take a peek. But I have noticed, my attention span wans after about 6 hours of lessons, and he is still raring to go.... sleep

Re: Courses Anyone? - 03/04/09 02:17 PM

EW, it's your personality that keeps him going! Anxious to see the new polished site.

chatty, now that is what I call over the top brave. I wouldn't even take a helicopter ride when I was there. Can't wait to hear about it.

I finsihed the Blogging for Dummies book. I highly recommend it. Now onto WordPress for Dummies. I love leanring all this new stuff.

Re: Courses Anyone? - 03/04/09 09:34 PM

I can't believe how anxious i am to try this. May be once in the air I'll regret it but I don't think so. Something inside me keeps saying, go for it! Go for it! One of my matches on E-Harmony is a retired Airline Pilot from Colorado. Fate? Maybe!
Posted by: orchid

Re: Courses Anyone? - 03/05/09 01:21 AM

Keep us posted chatty on the air suspended stuff. crazy laugh

No, not taking any course right now.
If I were to create anything for the Internet world, I would go the blog route, since blog software or the blog tool/technology it's just easier for me. Would be easier to cobbled together content and update it new content on my own.

A year same time, I took a weekend course on acrylic painting for a few weeks.

Later I would like to take a course on facilitation skills or teaching virtually. It is work-related and would build an interest that I have in group instruction for adults.

Right now I am suspended in a transitional time in life.
Posted by: chickadee

Re: Courses Anyone? - 03/05/09 04:57 AM

Oooh Chatty how exciting. Fly by and pick me up. I will jump from that helicopter.
I am thinking about starting a poker forum website. A poker friend of mine has one 6 months old and he's already making money.
Dotsie I may be asking you questions about forum development.

Hey JJ when I get there maybe we can teach pole dancing...We can be the main....Pole cats. smirk
Posted by: Edelweiss3

Re: Courses Anyone? - 03/05/09 07:56 AM

Good for you, Dotsie. Learning something new is perfect brain jogging.
Are you just going to try out first, Chatty, before signing up for a course? I am getting excite4d for you! Really really really!!!
Hey Chick, your own online poker site! Those big poker sites are really monopolizing. I think it's great to give them competition.

Re: Courses Anyone? - 03/05/09 01:11 PM

Originally Posted By: orchid

Later I would like to take a course on facilitation skills or teaching virtually. It is work-related and would build an interest that I have in group instruction for adults.

Right now I am suspended in a transitional time in life.

orchid, can you tell me more about that? You've piqued my interest. Is there a site I can visit?

And how is your new job? Are you adjusting?

Re: Courses Anyone? - 03/05/09 01:12 PM

chick, very cool. I'm always around. I think there's a teleseminar at NABBW about launching foruls. Let me know if you're interested.

Re: Courses Anyone? - 03/06/09 06:43 AM

Dotsie:
Am looking around for another job. The job did not work out. Not point going over the gory details. So that's why I'm here at times in the middle of day. But I do my daily cycling and job searching every day. Have to keep on going forward, no matter what.

There are a ton of facilitation resources. Some resources of which you personally might find useful, in fact might be be a perfect fit for your purposes both work and personal.

There's a great deal that is oriented for the corporate sector, some of which is narrowly based on work performance or are for profit-driven, large organizations.

http://www.masterfacilitatorjournal.com/assess.html

I knew a couple who did teach some courses in the listed organization which is Canadian. They started off using the group facilitation skills in....India where they worked for a non-profit organization for several years.

http://ica-associates.ca/Resources/MediatorasFacilitator.cfm

http://ica-associates.ca/template/newcourses/carrier.cfm?Handle=GroupFacilitation

http://ica-associates.ca/downloads/ICASept08Cat.pdf This is a Canadian organization. But perhaps there are international branches.

If you google ASTD, this is the prime organization for adult trainers and facilitators. Some useful resources but a very strong corporate sector thrust.
Posted by: chickadee

Re: Courses Anyone? - 03/06/09 04:59 PM

EW I am going to start but I'm not sure where to begin. As I mentioned earlier, a friend started 6 months ago and is doing well. He plays poker of course and is doing a column for Australian Poker mag already AND entertained the idea to them that it would be less expensive for them to send him to cover the World Series of Poker than have them send someone from Aussieland. He has a 6 wk all expense paid/+press pass for it. See...I can do stuff like that.

Re: Courses Anyone? - 03/06/09 10:22 PM

Best of luck with the site Chick. Why not ask to pick the brains of the guy already up and running with his poker site? Once you are up and operational, I am going to visit and play. I love poker and do pretty well for myself.
Posted by: celtic_flame

Re: Courses Anyone? - 03/14/09 01:53 PM

I tied out for some interviews for a course, just extending my knowlage and carrer tranning.

its was in area called counselling psychology, basicalie applied psychology with accreditasion and requiremnts to finish a phd as well, i know i was turning green thinking about how i fit it all in and the cost is very very expensive for tranning at that level.

its also cutting edge stuff and i fear 4 yrs since i last done some tranning has outdated me, imagine that anyway its most compeatitive edge of tranning in my profesion and i been away for 3 years with L stoped when he was way young.

i don't think i been sucessfull as its a week and half and i not heared from them.

the interview was like what my worst fears weer, if some of you know psychodynamic theries i had one of main men on my panel for interviewing, so it by end felt like a cross examinasion (not just me felt it i chated to other canditets and we all had that flushed worried look that had that panel) and its a matter of enduranse as its half day interviews and thats a long time.

I talked with one ladie who applied every year for 4 years good enough for interview but got pipped at post for actulie getting the place.

its what i wanted to do but by not hearing anything by now i fear i not getting what i want, anything time to try a plan b or at ledsst forumlate one

anyway something within getting readie seemed to energis me so i looking around for other courses or gonna try to go straight back to work without the steap through courses. I am just guessing that returning to work after carrer break becouse of kid and the rest might be a bit difficult at my age hence the desire to studie...

the course would mean a relocating to a diffrent city london and now i not sure but think i might have to go anyway, so thers a lot to think about course wise anyway.

It surprised me not to meet anyone else at my kinda age when their their all so young lol or at lest 10 yrs younger

Re: Courses Anyone? - 03/14/09 01:53 PM

chattie orchid chick hows it going for you?

Re: Courses Anyone? - 03/15/09 01:28 AM

I'm not sure what you're asking Celtic???

Re: Courses Anyone? - 03/15/09 03:19 PM

the helicopter flights chattie?

i had a airplane flying lesson but never made it to my next steap which was a helecopter flying lesson.

i am very impressed your gonna try it, or have you had your lessen yet? what was it like?

Re: Courses Anyone? - 03/15/09 10:54 PM

Originally Posted By: celtic_flame
so it by end felt like a cross examinasion (not just me felt it i chated to other canditets and we all had that flushed worried look that had that panel) and its a matter of enduranse as its half day interviews and thats a long time.

I talked with one ladie who applied every year for 4 years good enough for interview but got pipped at post for actulie getting the place.

its what i wanted to do but by not hearing anything by now i fear i not getting what i want, anything time to try a plan b or at ledsst forumlate one

anyway something within getting readie seemed to energis me so i looking around for other courses or gonna try to go straight back to work without the steap through courses. I am just guessing that returning to work after carrer break becouse of kid and the rest might be a bit difficult at my age hence the desire to studie...

the course would mean a relocating to a diffrent city london and now i not sure but think i might have to go anyway, so thers a lot to think about course wise anyway.

It surprised me not to meet anyone else at my kinda age when their their all so young lol or at lest 10 yrs younger

Sorry to hear that you didn't get the job, celtic.
Most interviews to me, are a bit of cross-examination. We have to be realistic. If an interviewer makes you feel relaxed, you do have to be highly alert or one might offer up information in a manner that might give the wrong impression to interviewers.

1/2 day is a long enough. I have been interviewed for jobs where the whole day was a series of meetings plus a 15 min-30 min. presentation delivered by self with questions from audience. Keep on going to interviews when there's a chance, it's helpful as long as you don't allow your self-confidence to be diminished.

Yes, I've been interviewed recently. Not sure where things are going. One of them was done by videoconference..where interviewing panel were members located in 2 different cities in Canada while I was sitting in 3rd city answering questions. 2 hrs. long with a written test question given in advance. (I have been videoconferenced for interviews by 2 previous different prospective employers. So one does still need to look and sound good. ) The technology is getting better and better.

Another interview was by telephone conference. Unfortunately they got their time zone differences mixed up. (So thankfully I finished my business in washroom before running over to another room where the phone was, to start the interview with them. Though I was not prepared completely for interview it was easier because the position was abit more junior with my years of experience.) I suspect that's the main reason this latter employer was not interested in me.

We'll see. When it's not raining dogs and cats, I try to go biking for at least 1-2 hrs. each day.
Posted by: dancer9

Re: Courses Anyone? - 03/15/09 11:12 PM

Most of my students are on their first dance lesson and they are really something. They are up and up lifted when leaving. They are doing their homework as dance has homework as any lesson does. I'm enjoying their waking up in their body to music. It's really an experience that would take a long time to explain.

It's really heart warming to teach anyone to be comfortable physically with music.

Dancer

Re: Courses Anyone? - 03/16/09 10:39 AM

i got one letter saying not got place but your on waiting list if someone offered dose't take it.

good but not good enough.
it can knowck the confidense but thes types of interviews are common for thos types of positions, I also had an essay to write, hand writte and thats bound to go agenst me.

not for this but in past i been given a presentasion topic 30 minets to prefaire then had to go present it. not fun but how it workes again at this level.

i a bit mad as their was no option for video confrinseing and its cost about £500.00 for cloths flights and stay for the interview period which is a lot of cash at the moment. So thats annoying me but had to be done.

if i too relocate to london or if i gonna go i fustrated as to how to get a job their while in london, video or call interviews aint an option yet as far as my enquiress have gone.

i rembered you preparing for interview and then heer ing you din't get it but din't o into details, pretie crappie too, so i know your talking from self as well when you say don't let it knock your confidense all i can say is yes too you too and hope your not worrieng too much about ecconomics and jobs either at this time.

enjoy your free time and biking while you can. good luck for next time.

Re: Courses Anyone? - 03/16/09 10:40 AM

good to know its going well dancer

Re: Courses Anyone? - 03/16/09 12:28 PM

orchid, I didn't realize the job didn't work out. Make the most of your free time because Im sure you'll be back to work before you know it.

Thanks for that first link. I love the questions posed on that first page. Wow, lots to think about.

chick, how's the site going?

celtic, sorry to hear you didn't get the position, but am thrilled that the prep has you psyched to keep going. After hearing you and orchid talk about your interviews, I'm grateful I'm not out there trying to get a job. Good lord, sounds like torture to me.

My son recently had a phone interview, followed by a four and a half hour in house interview where he had to meet with seven different people in management. I would think that some of these interview procedures are enough to scare some people away.

celtic and orchid, have your zeroed in on any specific job you're hoping to land?

Re: Courses Anyone? - 03/16/09 02:47 PM

i a bit mad as their was no option for video confrinseing and its cost about £500.00 for cloths flights and stay for the interview period which is a lot of cash at the moment. So thats annoying me but had to be done.

if i too relocate to london or if i gonna go i fustrated as to how to get a job their while in london, video or call interviews aint an option yet as far as my enquiress have gone.

Celtic, when a person is invited for a job interview while living in North America, normally a Canadian or American firm at least pays for the interviewee's transportation cost if the interviewers are out of town. Some employers will pay for hotel accommodation, only 1 night. Usually they dictate the rules of course and costs. Same for long distance telephone interview and for videconference, the North American employer pays.

I have been flown out for job interviews in the past 10 years --by several different employers. Of course those interviews, the employer usually has a lengthy questioning process which I have no problems.

As long as the questions are related directly to the job, my relevant skill set and my education, I have no problems on length of time it takes for an employer to screen me. Some of my jobs have required criminal record checks because the nature of information that the job that I was applying for, required handling confidential information.

Even if it looks I might "lose" or be a very unlikely short-listed candidate, I try to do ok on interview. Many of the employers....are my own colleagues professionally. Hence, one never knows if I will meet these same people at conferences, etc.

Thanks for your thoughts, Dotsie. I'm a little puzzled why people are telling me that I'll get a job soon. I dunno.

That facilitation checklist is very helpful Dotsie. It gives one lots to think about and to work on.

Re: Courses Anyone? - 03/16/09 09:57 PM

good to know your son got a job dotsie, i might have read it in travel but not sure.

it sounded grulling interview wise for him

i got letter saying i on waiting list didn't get position but wating list which i not to hopfull about and i don't know weer on wating list i am.

I actulie now thinking about it could e-mail them and ask for feedback on performanse so i know what to tighten up for in future...think i do that.

well i feel motivated so going with flow and see weer it takes me smile i hoping out of ireland so much good could come.

i be back to counselling theripy, or drug related educasion and programmes. Thats one of my problems DOTSIE i painted yself into a corner expertise wise and its not an are i want to spend rest of life doing despite the experinse ganed so breaking into a new area might be tough but necassary.
thats if i don't do similare type of educasion.

I am kinda regreting not paying for and doing that phd offered to me 2 years ago about the self-harm research, id be nearlie finished by now. Still i made the choise then for good reason so i should just stick with my original thinking.

Re: Courses Anyone? - 03/16/09 10:05 PM

i don't think the uk big enough to warrent employers paying traveling costs like they need to in north america.

if i wase't on an island i be able to travel easilie its cross that we bit of water that makes it necassary for flight, if not for water id drive or take the train for the distanse it take to fly.

i whish theyd get updated enough to do video comphrising lol thats not too hard considerring types of tecnical knowlage they expect me to have mostlie.

i fine with job focused stuff it wase't untill the last interview their that i relised i not good at talking about my areas were i have had issues. The job or tranning will expect me to have been counselled and want to know the process i undertook, its kinda an uncomphortable bit to this type of work, i just do not like it but understand why. I gonna have to ask or think it out diffrentlie weer i not left too vulrible in feeling afterwards but can give info as to personal internal life.

i still say it was the psychodynamic guy that throw me off track (and the other girl i talked too)

i thought you were not desprite but needed to get back to work soon orchid, sorry if i mis read this information, maybee thats why people telling you "never mind you get a job soon"

Re: Courses Anyone? - 03/16/09 10:08 PM

I actulie now thinking about it could e-mail them and ask for feedback on performanse so i know what to tighten up for in future...think i do that.

well i feel motivated so going with flow and see weer it takes me smile i hoping out of ireland so much good could come.

i be back to counselling theripy, or drug related educasion and programmes. Thats one of my problems DOTSIE i painted yself into a corner expertise wise and its not an are i want to spend rest of life doing despite the experinse ganed so breaking into a new area might be tough but necassary.
thats if i don't do similare type of educasion

I have great respect for anyone who does work with patients with drug addictions. By the way celtic, there are such jobs here in Vancouver but not sure if the pay is decent. There is a new facility that just opened up in the suburbs that specializes in mental health and drug addiction therapy rehab. work.

You might seriously consider looking if any of the courts in Ireland or rest of the United Kingdom, have specialized programs in mental court work, where there are folks with your background/expertise to work with the court system where sometimes problems of minor offenses are related to drug addiction/mental health problems. The person is a key liaison between the court /justice system and the mental health social support system. A very necessary link.

You see, I used to work for legal aid. So I have seen how some of these interdisciplinary partnerships work. Look to the legal aid organizations in your area of the world also. THey would value your background also.

Re: Courses Anyone? - 03/16/09 10:24 PM

we get or orginasiasion i was assosiated/employed with had court refarels as in its necasary to shorted a sentense. then theyd be counselled as part of thir short sentense. It mostlie makes for reluctant insensear clients, thir attitude is kinda one of "being forced to change or seem to do it to seem to change" you get that work as being part of orginasasion as many clients can't afford private theripies

when self employed i always have the delema of how to charge when clients can't afford much, it tugs at my hart strings and always had more than my quota of sliding scale clients.

since i left my last house i had to leave my practise, as it was in front part of that house. this house ise't sutibale but i may be able to get some private work renting space in an alternative health shop set up for session of theripies.

the pays ok and i at a happie level with it even though i know for my educasion i could get payed a lot more. Job satisfaction comes into it so i look at what i gotta work in as to get right type of pay and for me it dose't pay off apart from financialie.

thanks for thinking of me orchid and comming up with those ideas. I might go try the probasion boards heer and see if they have resident theripists with them and try for wating list if they do.

i gess i gotta go looking more activlie or hurry to fill in applicasions for courses of studie and hope L seattles more at school.

Re: Courses Anyone? - 03/16/09 10:26 PM

oh just thought to mention that sadlie this trouble now in NI could be good for people in my busness as people start bukling under the straine and the straine of the resesion, madness eh!
Posted by: Saundra

Re: Courses Anyone? - 04/03/09 01:35 AM

I'm taking an online course in bulding a website/blog with WordPress. It's a new technology skill set for me and I hope to go live in another month.

This will set me free from my webmaster who is now charging $90/hour, which is clearly out of my league since I lost my job in January. It's much more interesting than I thought it would be and like learning a new language.

Re: Courses Anyone? - 04/14/09 10:10 PM

When do you think you can reveal your new website with the application of the blogging software?
Posted by: jakkom

Re: Courses Anyone? - 05/24/10 03:55 PM

My DH just retired so we are doing some traveling. Have always been 'cocooners' so this is a change for us. Several trips have been with Exploritas (formerly Elderhostel) and we highly recommend them. It's a wonderful way to tour with various experts helping you understand the history and details of what you're seeing. These were all nice big rooms with private bath in comfortable hotels, meals included (hotel dining, catered, or mid-price restaurants), interesting & energetic fellow travelers. Lots of art/culture and natural history/biology, so we got 'just right' doses of learning along with the sightseeing.

We also have several of the "Great Courses" DVDs (you can get audio tapes if preferred), which go on sale periodically from The Teaching Company. Intense, interesting lectures on a wide variety of subjects by professors chosen for their scholarship and communicative skills. Their website is: http://www.teach12.com/teach12.aspx?ai=16281

I'm working on a blog, but haven't published it yet. Still figuring out some of organizational aspects of working HTML. I do informal restaurant reviews which I e-mail to my friends, as we're foodies and go out quite often. Living where we do, in the SF Bay Area, you could eat out twice a day for the rest of your life and never repeat the same restaurant! A blog will keep it all in one place where it'll be easier to access the 'winners vs losers'.
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Courses Anyone? - 05/24/10 03:58 PM

Be sure and put your blog in your signature line when you get it up and running. Sounds interesting!

School Days... - 06/16/10 08:46 AM

If it were possible I think I might love to go to college again and take some different courses. I think school would be twice as mich fun for us now, what do you gals think?
Posted by: Edelweiss2

Re: School Days... - 06/16/10 01:23 PM

Yes, or I would get in a good afternoon nap.

Re: School Days... - 07/10/10 11:56 PM

I have been rethinking this question and decided I would NOT like going back to school. With my temperment now, thinking most young people are idiots or brainless rabble, I would probably end up in confrintations all too aften. My temper and patience have grown as old and unaccepting of stupidity and misbehavior as I have.
Been there, done that, have the T-shirt, buying the hat!!!
Posted by: JujuB

Re: Courses Anyone? - 03/01/12 12:19 AM

Hi Everyone. First time here. Haven't done chat rooming in years. Just thought I might try it again. Not even sure if I am doing this right.
Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

Re: Courses Anyone? - 03/01/12 03:43 AM

Hi JujuB,

Welcome to the BWS Forum. We're glad you found us. I don't think we're exactly like a chat room, but the concept is similar.

We only have two major rules. They are:

1) Be thoughtful in your response to someone's post. Use the Golden Rule and you can't go wrong. If a problem ever arises, please email me at anne@boomerwomenspeak.com or send me a PM (private message) via the forum, and let us know of the problem. We will take the action that we feel is in the best interest of the ALL members.

and

2) NO ADVERTISING or PROMOTION in the forums unless you are a Gold Level (paying) member of the National Association of Baby Boomer Women NABBW and have a forum track record of strong participation and providing good, non-commercial content.

If you attempt to advertise via the content of your posts and you are not a member, we will ask you to kindly remove the promotional content. Should there be a second offense, we will simply delete your post without notice.

If you want to buy an advertisement on the BWS homepage, you may do so. Just email me at anne@boomerwomenspeak.com and I will discuss the options and give you the rates.

Should you need our assistance, just drop me a line. I or my staff will be happy to help you.

In conclusion I want to thank all of our wonderful forum members for adhering to these rules. Although this is - at the moment - a free forum, it does require money to run/maintain it, and the money generated from ads helps cover our expenses.

Re: Courses Anyone? - 03/28/12 01:19 AM

Are you considering charging for us to belong to this forum? So far FREE seems to be working fine especially when so many forums are no charge...

Re: Courses Anyone? - 03/28/12 02:28 AM

No Chatty, I have no plans to charge anyone to be a part of the BWS forum. Have never given it any thought.

However, I do need to figure out some way to cover my expenses.
Posted by: jabber

Re: Courses Anyone? - 03/28/12 03:02 PM

Don't membership fees from the BWS Home Site cover forum costs? Just wonderin'!

Re: Courses Anyone? - 03/28/12 06:32 PM

Membership fees from NABBW USED to - sorta - cover some of my costs. But then we experimented with offering a - more limited but -- free version of NABBW, to try to attract more members.

Instead, the income from NABBW Gold Level memberships plummeted. So we just went back to the simple - paid only - NABBW memberships, because at the moment, I'm running at a huge negative cash flow.

Re: Courses Anyone? - 03/29/12 01:21 PM

That's a bummer. Hope you or Steve come up with some cash influx.

Re: Courses Anyone? - 03/29/12 06:54 PM

Thanks, Jabber, Steve's businesses are profitable, so it's not like we are about to go on welfare or anything...

But I bought the NABBW properties from Dotsie because I believed they could become profitable (she was losing money on them, too.)

So now I need to find a way to prove myself correct.

Re: Courses Anyone? - 03/30/12 01:56 PM

It seems as popular as NABBW is it should produce black, as opposed to red, ink! Wish I could contribute some winning ideas, but I'm not a tech expert and have no understanding of how the
Internet sites become moneymakers. Prayers and blessings in this
endeavor!

Re: Courses Anyone? - 03/31/12 02:36 AM

Maybe it might be useful to rethink the whole business model.

Maybe even rebrand abit to draw a wider demographic. Or rebrand but partner with an organization.