Join me!

Posted by: Dianne

Join me! - 10/30/05 06:17 PM

I know this isn't really about adult education but then, it is in a way.

About five years ago I decided that I was going to learn how to do something new every year. Something I hadn't done before.

It keeps my life interesting, I meet new people and it's fun.

So far, I've taken on piano lessons, tennis lessons, golf lessons, screen writing and Yoga.

I thought maybe some of you might like to try this. I might take on beading next. Haven't made up my mind (help Meredith!).
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Join me! - 10/30/05 06:25 PM

Dianne, what a great idea. I haven't been intentional about this, but from now on I am going to be. What a fun way to keep life interesting. My new interest is yoga. Do you like it?

Re: Join me! - 10/31/05 08:44 AM

I forgot to mention I'm also learning the French Language. Dotsie, I think Yoga is life changing.

Re: Join me! - 10/31/05 02:39 AM

Really, Brenda? You speak French? For how long? I'm using the Pimsluer (sp)Method. I listen to the CD in my car. I can't read it and I'm afraid if I tried, I'd get really confused. This male/female thing they do is strange. I want to be able to at least understand a little the next time I visit my sister. I'm really enjoying it. A beautiful language.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Join me! - 10/31/05 04:46 AM

They are offering Tai chai classes here in the subdivision Park this year and guess who signed up, yep, I did. Wish me luck! A busy mind is a happy mind, another of my mothers famous sayings.
Posted by: Prill

Re: Join me! - 10/31/05 06:02 PM

Dianne-- I LOVE your idea of learning something new every year! I've been wanting to learn how to do pottery on a wheel. You've inspired me to sign up for a class.

Chatty Lady-- My husband has been practicing Tai Chi for 25+ years and enjoys it tremendously. How cool that you're open to trying it. Hope you love it, too.

[Wink]
Posted by: TVC15

Re: Join me! - 10/31/05 06:36 PM

Dianne,
What a wonderful idea. I am going to try this!

Chatty, I know you will do great with it!
Posted by: Debi

Re: Join me! - 10/31/05 10:59 PM

Hmmm I just may get on the band wagon here and find something new to try. wonder what that could be???

maybe a fareign language class

Debi
Posted by: Jersey Girl

Re: Join me! - 11/01/05 07:20 AM

Chatty, that sounds exciting. I want to take Tai Chi classes also but have not found any around here. I did yoga for awhile but tired of it.
Posted by: Eagle Heart

Re: Join me! - 11/01/05 07:49 AM

Dianne, I read your post early yesterday and it's been playing on my mind ever since. What an inspiration you are!

A few months into my breakdown in 2002, I signed up for Tai Chi and Yoga classes, mainly to get myself out of the house and also to keep myself in reasonably healthy shape (my former job kept me in very good physical condition - but in the end, fried me in every other way).

The yoga triggered fairly severe bursitis in my hip and the yoga instructor advised me to stop. But I really enjoyed Tai Chi more anyway, and continued to take classes for a couple of years after. I stopped last year, but still do my own version (because I can't remember all the real Tai Chi!) of Tai Chi/meditational stretching to music every morning.

I can't afford to take any classes these days, but someday would like to take a wood-working course and maybe a gourmet cooking class as well.
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: Join me! - 11/01/05 10:33 AM

Dianne, the main requirements for beadwork are good fine motor co-ordination, and patience.

Of course, I'll tell you that beadwork is absolutely divine! I just got the pliers I ordered for my neice, so I'll be sending her care package -- beads, tools, and instructions -- pretty soon.

Re: Join me! - 11/01/05 06:29 PM

Your niece is blessed to have you for an aunt. What fun.

Okay, I am calling the Y today to see waht yoga classes they have.

Re: Join me! - 11/01/05 06:30 PM

By the way Dianne, I think you're a genius. This is a great idea that will carry us into our elder years as exciting, intersting women. Don't you think?

Re: Join me! - 11/01/05 06:35 PM

I want to reach my elder years being able to say, "Yep, I did that." Especially to my grandkids. I'll try just about anything as long as it doesn't involve heights.

With all the traveling we've done, I started a charm bracelet and have a charm that represents where I was. I'm leaving it to my granddaughter.

Fine motor co-ordination, huh? I'll have to think on that one. Especially the patience part!

Re: Join me! - 11/03/05 08:28 AM

Dianne, I was so touched by this post that I went to the Y yesterday and signed up for a yoga class that just so happened to begin last night. Can you believe that? I've been thinking of taking yoga for months.

I've never met Meredith, but I feel like I know her. The yoga teacher reminded me of her. Isn't that wild?

Re: Join me! - 11/02/05 09:11 PM

Way to go, Dotsie! I love Yoga and walk away feeling like I'm floating on clouds. I feel more balanced and calm.

I tried Pilates (with the machines) and it threw my hip out! I can do the one on the floor with no machine but I don't like it as well as Yoga.

Your instructor must have had Meredith's spirit, that you've only known from her messages here. That is wild.

Re: Join me! - 11/03/05 03:45 AM

Introduced to my first Tai Chai lesson today and must say not a minute to soon either. I think this is going to be fun and very beneficial... [Razz]

Re: Join me! - 11/03/05 04:46 AM

I took Tai Chai lessons a few years ago but my shoulder was killing me so I stopped. I think it does a tremendous job on balancing, which is good at any age!
Posted by: Prill

Re: Join me! - 11/03/05 08:32 AM

Dianne-- Your motto says it all: If it doesn't feel good, don't do it twice! Tai Chi is too slow for me; Jazzercise too fast. But I love Pilates, which I've been doing for ten years or so. I also love yoga (how cool, Dotsie, that this forum inspired you to try it), swimming and walking. To each her own.
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: Join me! - 11/03/05 12:05 PM

Dotsie, your yoga teacher must be brilliant, beautiful and brunette [Wink]

I'm honored that you'd think of me.

[ November 03, 2005, 04:05 AM: Message edited by: meredithbead ]

Re: Join me! - 11/05/05 08:42 AM

Meredith, she is all of the above! Peaceful to boot! There's also a woman in the class that reminded me of Danita. I met Danita this summer, but I didn't get a chance to chat with this woman yet. I plan to.
Posted by: Sherri

Re: Join me! - 11/04/05 09:03 PM

When Tim McGraw's song came out "Live Like You Were Dying," I took it to heart. I have tried many new things this year that I can add to my "I"ve done that" list. From going to the top of the Eiffel Tower to eating raw fish. Ugh.

I even roda mechanical bull. Not very long, but hey at least I tried!

Sherri

Re: Join me! - 11/04/05 11:06 PM

Sherri, did I mention that my neighbor is one of the cowriters on that song? He's the nicest man.
Posted by: Daisygirl

Re: Join me! - 11/05/05 07:14 AM

Today I noticed that we have a new dive shop in my town. I'm thinking of signing up for classes. I've always wanted to do it and it would be pretty convenient. The only problem is I'd have to put a bathing suit on in public - oh well, a good excuse to diet.

Thanks for the inspiration Dianne!

Daisygirl
Posted by: mellodysmiles

Re: Join me! - 11/05/05 09:44 AM

Daisygirl,
Go for it. I was fortunate enough to go scuba diving in Kaui and I would do it again in a second. One of the most wonderful and peaceful experiences of my life. I would scuba over snorkel any day of the week. Gee, can you tell I like scuba? LOL [Big Grin]

Re: Join me! - 11/05/05 06:45 PM

One day I sat down and made a list of all the things I had done or learned since childhood. It began with dancing lessons...

If you do this, you will be amazed at how much you've done. My list blew me away!
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Join me! - 11/05/05 09:46 PM

What a great idea Dianne... just reading all the post made my white-water rafting trip stick out in my mind. I don't like heights, and I am deathly afraid of fish and other things that swim in the water (I saw JAWS)and so WWR was something I would have NEVER tried. EVER. You need to go back and read that sentence again because honey, trust me, you couldn't have PAID me to get in a canoe and try this.

However, being the Queen of Experiences, you knowwwwww something happened to change all that, right? Rightttt. I took four young boys up in the middle of nowhere in Tennessee where every freakin' body goes to do the WWR. Well, one of the four was my youngest, whom I still call the baby. So, when it came time for "the baby" and his friends (all 13 years old) to walk down the longgggg ramp to the water and load into the canoes, Mamma went with them. I wanted to make sure that my son had the proper equipment, safety belt or whatever it was they needed. He was mortified, I din't give a rip, I wanted my son safe.

After the nice young man helped them in, he turned to me. I said, "nu uh... I don't do WWR." He said, "Oh yes you do. Starting now. Nooooobody goes back up the ramp. If you come this far, you leave one way, and that's in the canoe." After much todo, and manhandling, he and two other strapping young snots force---ah, helped me in the canoe...

Ladies, it was the ride of my life and I rode them three more times. What a rush!

JJ
Posted by: Daisygirl

Re: Join me! - 11/07/05 08:43 AM

JJ I did the New River in WV and it was awesome! We actually jumped out and did one of the rapids without the raft!

Re: Join me! - 11/07/05 02:12 AM

Well there was no canoe involved but when living in Colorado my two sons and a local policeMAN friend of mine went tubing, thats right, with large truck innertubs beneath our butts we went literally sailing down the rapids. These rapids were on the sides of the highway and only about 8 feet wide but sail down them we did about a mile a minute. We did that many times while living there...I know what you mean JJ about a rush...whew!!! [Big Grin]
Posted by: Bluebird

Re: Join me! - 11/07/05 02:21 AM

Chatty, was that on the Arkansas River?