What do I do...?

Posted by: jabber

What do I do...? - 01/15/11 05:15 PM

Can anyone here tell me how I keep curl in fine, straight hair.
I get a perm every 4 months. But it doesn't last. In a couple
months, I'm curlin' my hair on a daily basis, just so it looks
halfway decent. What say you? crazy
Posted by: yonuh

Re: What do I do...? - 01/15/11 11:33 PM

I don't have any ideas, jabber, sorry. I can empathize with you; I have fine, thin hair, but it's wavy. If I use hair gel, I can get it to look like it's curly, but by the end of the day it's back to looking straight. I do know that a good haircut can make all the difference in the world. I've been going to the same stylist for more than 15 years, so she really knows my hair; and she has fine hair, too. She knows what will work and what won't as far as style and cut. I love her because she can make my hair look fabulous! LOL

Re: What do I do...? - 01/16/11 02:32 PM

I watched a video by a gal with fine hair. She used a flat iron;
hair clips, a rat-tail comb, heat-resistent gel, mousse, and
velcro rollers. I haven't used rollers in years. Generally
I let it dry and use a curling iron. Oh, I use mousse, thickening gel, etc., etc. But it doesn't hold a curl.
Posted by: Dee

Re: What do I do...? - 01/16/11 04:07 PM

When I was younger (like yesterday...LOL)...I used Neutrogina shampoo and conditioner...but, like you, I get a perm 2-3 times a year for the same reasons...and I don't have any answers anymore, either. We're doomed to perms that will only last for so long and then the curling iron. Bad for the hair, I know, but I cannot stand straight, flat hair...if anyone has the magic answer I don't know who they are. Good luck!

Re: What do I do...? - 01/16/11 06:07 PM

I have found a line of shampoos and conditioners that I love. It's called Desert Essence, and has a whole line of body and hair care. I use the Green Apple and Ginger shampoo and conditioner. It's supposed to be volumizing for fine hair. I have to say I love the stuff, and it does make my hair feel and look thicker. It's organic and doesn't contain any of the nasty chemicals in other shampoos. I only need a dime-sized portion for it to lather up like you wouldn't believe, so it lasts a long, long, time. My friend who is also my stylist couldn't believe how little was needed! There are other flavors, like Red Grape, Red Raspberry, too. I normally don't endorse any product, but this one is fantastic. I tried a couple of the other 'flavors' but didn't like them as much as the green apple.
Posted by: Di

Re: What do I do...? - 01/17/11 02:14 AM

I doubt you can keep the curl in naturally straight/fine hair.

May I suggest that you find a hairdresser who knows how to cut YOUR kind of hair. Recently I found one who, once she wets my hair, looks it over and see the natural wave (or no wave).then cuts it according to what SHE says is best.

If a hairdresser asks you want YOU "what do you want to do w/your hair", run the other way. They should tell YOU what is best and they are (should be) the artist here.

Note: I've not gotten my hair cut since August and it STILL looks great even as it grows out. That is a sign of an excellent cut!

Note 2 about conditioners: They do the same thing as fabric softeners: coat the hair/fibers with wax which stops friction that causes static. Stay away from conditioners if you want fluffy hair!

Oh, and mousse and thickening gel only dry your hair out. Use your shea butter (the day BEFORE you shampoo) to moisturize it. Then shampoo as needed.

Re: What do I do...? - 01/17/11 01:38 PM

Thank you for the excellect suggestions. I'll try what you've said.
I was using Chi and all the various products by Chi, but I still
don't like how looks. I've had my hairdresser for 20 years; she's
a friend and I believe in being loyal. But I do wish my hair could keep a longer lasting curl. I'll try the Shea Butter the day before shampooing, Di, and see how that goes. And I'll see if
I can find "Desert Essence," yonuh and give that a try.
Posted by: judym

Re: What do I do...? - 01/17/11 10:20 PM

Jabber, I have an EXCELLENT hairstylist here in HSV, worth the drive. He is at Salon Beaujolie in the Publix shopping center at Whitesburg and Airport, and his name is Diamond Horn. He listens, works with you, does french cutting (a wonder in itself!) and won't do anything you are uncomfortable with. They do the hair for all the folks at WAAY. They really do a good job there, and Diamond is of our ages and wont do anything untoward. I can't recommend him enough. We have a friend that relocated to FL. that comes up here once a month to see everyone and have him do her cut. I have many friends that use him, and I am so glad they told me to go to him. I actually have hair I am proud of now (if only I can keep on top of the roots and such- and God bless his heart, Diamond recommended a glaze- it gets my natural color back and shine, and works really well- doesn't last long but worth the monthly aspect when I have the cut done...short hair takes a monthly dose of doing...) . If you are willing to travel into HSV, you will like this man- plus he is meticulous and pleasant, and when you get to know him, he's a true pleasure to chat with for sure. You and he would hit it off famously!
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: What do I do...? - 01/18/11 01:09 AM

I have lived here in Vegas since 1970 off and on, mostly on. I have tried hairstylists from the La-De-Da shops and paid a fortune as much as $75.00 for a wash and cut. It was awful! I think I have tried most of the shops in town and the BEST haircut I ever got, are you sitting down???? It was late one evening, I was shopping WalMart and saw a rather large woman/man in a black smock, (never figured it out) and he/she was doing a cut on someone. I liked what I saw and so he/she cut my hair...I wanted to cry and couldn't thank her/him enough, my hair looked absolutely gorgeous and it lasted for weeks too.

The cut cost I think it was $8.00 and I left a $10.00 tip. I got a business card and the name on it was Pat, so I still didn't know, and couldn't ask if it was a man or woman!!!! When I went back several months later asking for Pat's schedule they said Pat had quit and no one knew anything they could tell me. SO, I am right back to lousy haircuts. The girl doing my hair now said she knew of Pat and she was a woman and she was an alcholic who couldn't hold a job. Just my luck!!!

Re: What do I do...? - 01/19/11 03:00 PM

judym,
I had to google HSV to see that it's Huntsville Airport. Don't
get to AL much. But if I ever do, I just might look up that hairstylist.

Chatty,
Might even try Walmart; I'm willing to try anything. When my hair gets like this, it's very annoying.

Re: What do I do...? - 01/20/11 02:54 PM

Di,
I put Shea Butter on my hair yesterday afternoon. I'm gonna wash
it in a few minutes. I'll let you know how it goes.

yonuh,
I ran around trying to find Desert Essence/Green Apple and Ginger
shampoo yesterday. Could not. So I bought Burt's Bees' volumizing shampoo instead. I do have some Desert Essence JoJoba Oil; but I got it in the city and will have to go back there to get the shampoo. It's at a natural food store where Groovy
works. So I'll go with her and get some or order some on-line.
The weather here is bad, so it'll be a while before I get it.
Will let you know how that works, when I am able to try it.
Thanks again, ladies!

Re: What do I do...? - 01/20/11 06:54 PM

Well I washed it after leaving the Shea's on for a few hours.
It feels better and I'll keep trying until it does what I want.
I really need more body, somehow. You gals are the best!!! sleep crazy cry

Re: What do I do...? - 01/24/11 08:34 PM

Because of the weather, think I'm gonna ask Groovy to bring
me some of that Desert Essence Green Apple and Ginger Shampoo.
I'll let you know how it works on my hair, yonuh. Thanks for
the heads up!!! LOL...

Re: What do I do...? - 01/29/11 02:37 PM

yonuh,
Groovy did buy me some Desert Essence shampoo and conditioner,
the flavor you like. I've used it once and do like my hair better since using that product. Thanks for the input.

Di,
How many times do you think I should coat my hair with Shea's?
I mean, weekly, or once a month, or continuously? What say U?

Re: What do I do...? - 01/29/11 03:07 PM

Jabber, glad you liked it. I know I love mine!

Re: What do I do...? - 01/30/11 02:23 AM

Originally Posted By: jabber

Di,
How many times do you think I should coat my hair with Shea's?
I mean, weekly, or once a month, or continuously? What say U?

I use Shea Butter (as a moisturizer) instead of any kind of "conditioners". Reason being, conditioners are the same as fabric softeners: they coat the hair with WAX, which causes the hair not to have static. I have not used conditioners on my hair in 10 years.

So, regarding using the Shea, try it once, then add it twice a week. I will not harm so I imagine you could use it every day!

Let us know how it does for ya!

Re: What do I do...? - 01/30/11 03:06 PM

Di,
So you're saying use the shampoo and then leave the Shea's in
or rinse it out like the conditioner? I wash my hair once a
week, generally.

yonuh,
I do like the way Desert Essence leaves my hair. It's more manageable and seems to have better texture. Thank you for weighing in on this thread. I appreciate you, Di and Groovy's
help.

Re: What do I do...? - 01/31/11 01:44 PM

Di,
I put a bit of Shea's in my hair yesterday. I brushed it through and left it in. I like it. It feels and looks thicker, and I'm getting the effect I've been looking for. Have been working
on my hair for sometimes now. PL suggested a product line which
I tried for more than a year. But between the Desert Essence
and the Shea's, I think I've found the answer. Again thank you
so much for your sage advice. I truly appreciate you!

Re: What do I do...? - 01/31/11 07:12 PM

Oh wonderful Jabber! The shea butter puts "fluff" back into hair without the static..and the "droopies" that conditioners add.

Can we see a pic of the "new you"??

Re: What do I do...? - 01/31/11 07:14 PM

Sorry did not see your other query. YOu put the Shea Butter BEFORE you shampoo, like a day before...then shampoo/rinse. It acts as a moisturizing treatment prior to shampooing.

Re: What do I do...? - 01/31/11 08:15 PM

Got it. Oh, well. I've used it both ways, before and after. Actually, it's working well either, or. Some products you leave in, some you don't. If you put a large amount of Shea's in your hair, it'd be too heavy and you've had no choice but to shampoo it out. A light amount keeps working from shampoo to shampoo, so
I've discovered. I ask too many questions, Di. But that's my
nature. Have a great week!!!

Re: What do I do...? - 02/04/11 01:49 PM

Ladies,
Just wanted you know everytime I wash my hair, using the suggestions you've put forth, the texture and feel of my hair
is getting closer to the way I hoped it would be. It now appears
that the level of success I was aiming for, will be reached
via your ideas. Thanks again!

Re: What do I do...? - 02/04/11 06:49 PM

So glad, jabber!
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: What do I do...? - 02/04/11 09:48 PM

I always say in this forum all one has to do is ask to find the answers needed. We are after all, such a large group of gorgeous, intelligent, experienced in life, women... Well we are aren't we???? Would I lie????

Re: What do I do...? - 02/05/11 02:29 PM

Hey, Chatty, you won't find me disagreeing with any of those
superlatives!!!

Super adjectives 4 super boomers!!!

Re: What do I do...? - 02/12/11 07:09 PM

Di,
What do you know about "lecithin"? 1) liquid lecithin 2) powder
lecithin. Have you ever tasted it? Can it be mixed in tea?

Re: What do I do...? - 02/13/11 08:29 PM

And here's another thing: My fingernails are driving me wacko! I've tried and tried to make them healthy looking and nothing! They look terrible. What's a gal to do? Not into wearing those
fake jobs, the younger generations wear. I have work to do
and they'd get in my way when typing, I'm sure. And I've tried
the vaseline, wearing gloves to bed thing. For over a year now.
It doesn't appear to be helping one iota!

Re: What do I do...? - 02/13/11 09:54 PM

Jabber, I know what you mean about the nails thing. I've always had soft nails that just peel off layer by layer. The other thing is I tend to have ingrown nails on my fingers - that's painful. I've tried a lot of different stuff and the only thing that works for me is the acrylic nails that I get done at a salon. Not only does it make my nails look good, it prevents the nails from ingrowing. It took a while to get used to having long nails, but they can be as short as I want them. They don't affect anything I do; I still garden, wash dishes, housework, etc. and can type with the nail tips instead of my finger tips. Acrylics don't work for everyone; and neither do some of the other types of nail extensions. But I love my nails - my nail tech is an artist so I usually have nail art, too!
Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

Re: What do I do...? - 02/14/11 01:33 AM

I tried the acrylics about 25 years ago - had them for a couple of years, and was delighted with how elegant they made my hands look.

But they kept lifting off -- I guess my real nails were too thin? -- and when that happened, a thin layer of my real nail would be removed in the process.

The end result was that my real nails got too thin and fragile to handle the acrylics. I had to stop the manicures.

It took awhile for the nails to start growing out naturally again - and since then, I just live with short nails.

Sigh! I did LOVE the look of the acrylics! smile

Re: What do I do...? - 02/14/11 02:12 PM

Immediately after I posted about my rotten nails, it dawned on
me to try Shea's Butter on my nails too. So I guess I'll be
doing that before bedtime, to see how it works. I've used coconut oil and vaseline on them, now I'll add the Shea's
and see what kind of results I get. Thanks ladies.

Re: What do I do...? - 02/14/11 02:43 PM

Oh yes, the Shea butter is the BEST for nails, Jabber! Around here, so many women complain to me about nasty cuticles. Just rub the Shea on them whenever you think of it. Get rid of that Vaseline, my friend! It is NOT a moisturizer.....it clogs the pores and is PETROLEUM! Bad, bad stuff for your skin!

Let us know!

Oh, and you can soak your hands with the Shea, too! Just put some hot water in a bowl, and add the Shea...it melts. Soak your hands for a while and pat dry.

Re: What do I do...? - 02/14/11 02:50 PM

Great ideas, Di! I do use the Shea on my cuticles - I massage it into the cuticles when I put it on my hands. My cuticles are actually in good shape now, thanks to the Shea!!

Re: What do I do...? - 02/16/11 02:05 PM

Di,
Thanks. The Internet said to use Vaseline; a so-called expert
recommended it. But I'll use the Shea's from now on.