Never Underestimate the Ripple Effects

Posted by: Eagle Heart

Never Underestimate the Ripple Effects - 05/14/10 01:12 PM

Over the past 5 years, many women here have shared many wise and witty and wonderful wisdoms in these forums. I have been the grateful recipient of so much of your love, care, wisdom and kindness throughout the painful journey I've had to make after losing both parents, brother, close in-laws and friends through death all within the past 10 years. You've also carried me through an excruciatingly painful patch these past few years without even knowing the cause of that pain (I still am not at liberty to share it publicly). You have all poured your hearts, prayers and wisdoms into my heart and life.

I just want to tell you that all of your kindnesses continue to heal, inspire, transform and guide me…the ripple effect of your love is ongoing and unimaginably empowering. Even words and actions from many years ago continue to affect and heal…like Nancy’s roses, Chatty’s little care packages to my brother, Dotsie & JJ’s phone call after my brother died, PM’s and emails throughout the years…these have ALL meant a great deal to me and have been like rungs on the ladder out of the darkness back to the light.

I finally feel like I’m waking up from the nightmare of the past few years. I finally feel emotionally empowered, creative again, little surges of joy spiking through my soul after years of feeling nothing at all…I feel like you have all helped me take baby steps out of the rubble and into this “new normal” and I’m finally feeling like joy is possible again.

So I just want to reiterate that we can never underestimate the ripple effect of our words, kindnesses and love that we pour into others. Perhaps there are times when we feel like our efforts aren’t making a difference, but they’re all like little seeds that we plant in other people’s hearts and souls…we don’t always get to see the changes that we make, but those seeds grow and no matter how long it might take, they DO - we DO - you DO - make an enormous difference. You did in mine. And I thank you with all my heart!!
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Never Underestimate the Ripple Effects - 05/14/10 01:46 PM

What a great way to start my day by wrapping myself in your beautiful words. You have a gift, Eagle. Please consider sharing your words with the world, once again. You could help so many by writing another book and letting the people out there who are hurting, just as you have, to find their way.

I beg of you to consider it. You are a master at massaging one's heart.

The Ripple Effect

What a beautiful title for a book. Yes?

Thank you for the sweet words. Daddy always told me that a person may not remember you by name, but they will always remember how you made someone feel. Big...worthy...or small.

I'm so blessed to have you in my life. I don't tell others enough. Thank you for the gentle reminder.

With love,
Posted by: Anno

Re: Never Underestimate the Ripple Effects - 05/14/10 02:16 PM

Eagle, you are so wise and giving. How could anyone feel anything but love toward you? Love, Ann
Posted by: yonuh

Re: Never Underestimate the Ripple Effects - 05/14/10 02:32 PM

Eagle, what beautiful words. Yes, so many people may never know the effect they have had on others. But we have to keep going and trusting that somewhere, someone, is better because of our words or deeds. Thank you for reminding us.

Re: Never Underestimate the Ripple Effects - 05/14/10 05:26 PM

JJ, I do want/intend to write again. There's another book gestating somewhere deep inside of me. I'll know when it's time because it will be so determined to be born that it will practically write itself. Until then, I'm collecting energy, wisdom, perspective and empowerment. Thank you for your encouragement and belief in me.

Thank you Ann. Believing in my own loveability was impossible and unfathomable at one time in my life. It's still a weakpoint. But I'm learning to trust that it can be true.

Yonuh, I remember reading a book by Jean Vanier about 30 years ago. I can't remember the exact quote but the essential message was that in every encounter with every person, we either sow seeds of life or seeds of death. We can never know the full long-range impact, positive or negative, we have in our encounters with others. I think we can only do our best to remember to sow seeds of life (eg, a simple smile or act of kindness instead of scowling or rudeness) and trust that every positive thing we do does ripple light into the world-at-large.
Posted by: yonuh

Re: Never Underestimate the Ripple Effects - 05/14/10 11:11 PM

Eagle, I know what you mean when you say "it will be so determined to be born that it will practically write itself"! That's how I write stuff, too. And that's how my thesis and other research papers got written when I was in college. It's amazing how stuff can percolate in the brain and then come pouring out, but it feels so good when it happens!
Posted by: AvalonBlondi

Re: Never Underestimate the Ripple Effects - 05/15/10 10:16 PM

Eagle Heart Dear, I was just thinking to myself that your posts are sounding lighter and happier and then I hit upon this thread...I am so happy to know you are feeling better...you are a precious person... reading your book and the book you sent me after my mother died meant so much..and I have shared it with so many of my friends and by doing so , you have helped those people as well...your famous "ripple effect" goes on an on..You are so loving and so loveable...we all see that...my hopes and prayers are that you now see it too...

Love you!!!!
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: Never Underestimate the Ripple Effects - 05/16/10 08:34 AM

The ripple effect
no doubts that we can have an impact on another..

it is good to spent time telling someone they touched you in some way..often people have no idea..such is their demeanor.but importantly to continue a persons good will and do good for another.
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Never Underestimate the Ripple Effects - 05/20/10 03:28 PM

Amen. And you will be amazed at how YOU will feel when you do good for another, just because. I don't know if I believe in Karma or not, but I do believe in trying to weigh my words with another.

I don't always win that battle, but I can tell you when I don't, I feel awful. Imagine how THEY feel. Ouch!

Speaking out of turn and then regretting it is like trying to put toothpaste back in the tube. Ain't gonna happen. I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to bite my tongue, or my keyboard, in half.

Eagle, you've reminded me to stop and think before engaging mouth. Less foot to chew on that way.

This awesome board is sometimes a gentle reminder to tell others how much they mean to me and how they've affected my life in a good way. I should do it more often. Wait, I just did?

Re: Never Underestimate the Ripple Effects - 05/20/10 05:17 PM

I just put this as my FB status, seems to fit right in here too:

Treat everyone with kindness, even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are.
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: Never Underestimate the Ripple Effects - 05/20/10 10:49 PM

Eagle, what a touching post! You're one of the gentlest, most loving people I know, and I'm so grateful your life is taking an upturn.

When we act in kindness, the ripples are always infused with light.

Re: Never Underestimate the Ripple Effects - 05/24/10 04:31 AM

I love that quote Eagle...nothing on this earth feels better than kindness...and that is a fact!!!
Stay happy my friend...xo
Posted by: chatty lady

Saying Our Prayers... - 06/16/10 08:56 AM

Does anyone pray every morning without fail? I do and feel just awful if I have forgotten to. I also pray at night which I grew up doing. Prayer is the easiest thing any of us can do for ourselves and others we care about. I think it feels good to speak to God. Does he hear us? I think he does, so I talk to him as if he were sitting right here with me in person.
Posted by: Cookie

Re: Saying Our Prayers... - 06/16/10 12:30 PM

I pray daily.

Re: Saying Our Prayers... - 06/18/10 12:03 AM

I pray all the time..morning, noon , night..middle of the night..
Posted by: LTWayfaringWords

Re: Saying Our Prayers... - 06/22/10 05:54 PM

Me, too, Nancy / Avalon Blondi.

Re: Saying Our Prayers... - 07/10/10 11:51 PM

It's funny but especially when living alone one seems to speak outloud to God. I know I do it unconciously but the funny thing is when I am so engrossed in my conversati0on and I wait to hear his reply!
Posted by: jabber

Re: Saying Our Prayers... - 07/24/10 10:09 PM

I pray every morning and every night and in-between those;
it's a ritual i can't live without. I thank God a great deal
for the beauty of the earth and His spirit evident in people's
eyes. I see His creation in nature and in the animals! It's funny, I haven't been to church in five years, yet I feel closer
to God than I've ever felt in my life. It's been the most difficult 5 years, but it has also been very character building.

Re: Saying Our Prayers... - 07/25/10 12:42 PM

Don't dare attempt to face a day without The Lord!
Posted by: Lola

Re: Saying Our Prayers... - 07/30/10 07:05 AM

There is a wonderful prayer I'd like to share on kindness and I hope it is in keeping with the topic's theme:

"Lord, help me to live from day to day
in such a self-forgetful way
that even when I kneel to pray
my prayers shall be for others.

Help me in all the work I do
to be ever sincere and true
and know that all I do for You
must needs be done for others.

And when my work on earth is done
and my new work in heaven begun
may I forget the crown I've won
while thinking still of others.

Others, Lord, yes, others
let this my motto be.
Help me to live for others
that I may live for Thee."

God bless.
Posted by: Anno

Re: Saying Our Prayers... - 07/30/10 01:58 PM

Others - could a life be more full than when living for others?

Re: Saying Our Prayers... - 08/04/10 10:43 PM

I believe it depends on why you are living for others. Is it because you want to and do it happily or because there is an ulterior motive or you do it begrudgingly? Not everyone Anno is all heart and love the way you are.

Re: Saying Our Prayers... - 08/16/10 12:58 PM

Lola, I like that poem about living for others. Somewhere in
[The Word] it talks about whatever you do for others, you're actually doing for God. I'm not sure anyone can truly have selfless motives, but I do know that there are a lot of "good-hearted" people in the world. And they make life a lot easier for those around them!

Re: Saying Our Prayers... - 09/03/10 08:47 PM

Here, here Jabber, excellent comment, but I believe there are selfless people out there doing selfless acts for their fellow man.

Re: Saying Our Prayers... - 09/10/10 12:34 PM

Words can heal; words can harm. Let's all remember to use words
which charm. Speak softly and gently; never react out of anger;
chose excellent words, uplifting words, good words to help someone be a better person, and that will strengthen your own
character.

Eagle,
I just re read this thread. I love what you said. The ripples run
far and wide! God's blessings,

Re: Saying Our Prayers... - 09/10/10 01:53 PM

I'm on the run today, but just want to thank you Jabber. Your kind words are balm to my soul, and answer to a question I was asking God in prayer early this morning. It's perhaps a little thing to some people, but in my world, even the smallest flicker of light helps ripple hope...and when you tell me that my little flicker of light helps too, well that's just exactly what I roll out of bed and live for each day.

Re: Saying Our Prayers... - 09/11/10 12:53 PM

Eagle,
Thank you. I can sense what a beautiful spirit you have. And that's something money can't buy. Hang onto Jesus and never
let go.

Re: Saying Our Prayers... - 09/13/10 01:16 PM

I cling to Him like a starving baby clings to a bottle of milk!

Re: Saying Our Prayers... - 09/14/10 12:46 PM

God Bless BWS and their family and friends!
Posted by: Songbird

Re: Saying Our Prayers... - 09/15/10 01:40 PM

Eagle... I thank God for you and your uplifting words and ways! And I thank God for all my BWS friends and the way we can share w/o being judged.

Yes, we influence others with our behavior, words, etc. Little seeds eventually grow and we will reap what we sow. Words and actions, event he tone of our voice affects others positively or negatively. That's why I appreciate every reminder we can get to treat others gently and kindly.

The Bible Scripture referred to earlier in this thread is Matthew 25:40 and 45-"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'" (NIV)

Chatty: I love the way you talk to God. Prayer is just that: dialoguing with a friend. And it is a wise thing to "stop and wait for His reply".

Praying every morning is a must for me. And I also talk to God at any given time during the day, and right before I go to bed I pray again. I also talk to God as if he were next to me, out loud, in any situation, especially when I am alone. And I have NO regrets. Just many blessings to share. Prayer works for God is real.

Let us bless each others with our love and kindness each and every day!