Swimming Pools

Posted by: Dianne

Swimming Pools - 06/28/11 04:00 PM

I never thought of this but recently my husband hired a company to drain our swimming pool, clean it and add fresh water. Our pool has had the same water in it for over 10 years! Even with all of the chemicals put in it to kill germs, the thought of it being used for that long with the same junk in it kind of makes me sick to my stomach!
Posted by: yonuh

Re: Swimming Pools - 06/28/11 06:22 PM

Yuck! I never really thought about it since we don't have a pool. But I suppose the same could be said for public pools in apt complexes, etc.
Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

Re: Swimming Pools - 06/28/11 06:33 PM

Well around here in the Midwest, most outdoor pools are drained annually, since it gets too cold to use them in the winter. But I agree, the thought of swimming in 10 year old pool water is quite gross.
Posted by: yonuh

Re: Swimming Pools - 06/28/11 09:40 PM

A couple of the houses we looked at had a pool, but we decided against them because of the pool. The laws here are pretty strict, and none of the pools we saw met the regs and would have needed a lot of money to bring them up to code. Would have been nice, though, to get home and jump in the pool! (Except right now the water would probably be way to hot!!!)

Re: Swimming Pools - 06/30/11 07:45 PM

We fall into the pool after working in the yard. It's great for cooling down! I don't think I'd buy a house without a pool here. It's just too hot and we use ours. But, we're on a golf course so sometimes you have to be leary of a ball hitting you while you're floating out there. I'd never buy a home anywhere near a golf course again. It's too dangerous.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Swimming Pools - 07/01/11 10:12 PM

Our two pools here in the resort I live in are drained and cleaned thoroughly at the beginning of each summer. Plus serviced each month by a pool cleaning company.

Re: Swimming Pools - 07/02/11 02:02 AM

That's the way it is around here, but like I said, we have Midwestern winters to contend with, so pools really MUST be drained.

Re: Swimming Pools - 07/19/11 05:49 PM

Speaking of water...our house flooded from a broken pipe! I now have hairy-legged men working around me. An opportunity to paint and organize.

Re: Swimming Pools - 07/19/11 06:01 PM

Sorry about the broken pipe, Dianne. Such as waste of water, which is so precious in Arizona.

Enjoy the opportunity to paint and organize.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Swimming Pools - 07/19/11 10:43 PM

I considered purchasing a home with a pool, yet it would take up pasture space and cost too much to back fill and turn into a garden!
Posted by: greene

Re: Swimming Pools - 07/22/11 01:09 PM

When we retire and move my dream is to have a pool, finally. People have discouraged me saying it is a lot of work. I was thinking that having a pool service would be a solution to that, although an expensive one. Do you ladies who have a pool do the work yourselves or have help?

Re: Swimming Pools - 07/22/11 04:20 PM

Greene, we did have a monthly service but my husband takes care of it now. Swimming pool stores have classes to teach you how to maintain the chemical balance, etc. Or...you might consider a salt water pool. They are all the rage now and nicer on your skin. Our pool cleans itself and maintenance really isn't difficult.
Posted by: greene

Re: Swimming Pools - 07/22/11 11:09 PM

Thanks Dianne. I'd really hate to give up on my dream of having a pool.
Posted by: jabber

Re: Swimming Pools - 08/10/11 02:06 PM

greene,
We have an in-ground pool and have had it 20 plus years. WB takes
care of all the maintenance. We never had to have water brought in because he lets rainwater do the replenishing. A pool is
especially sweet this summer due to extra long, hot periods. But the time element is consuming; we're generally in there two hours every afternoon. I have an umbrella chair and float around, sometimes even fall asleep bouncing over the waves WB creates.

As far as maintenance is concerned, you can learn just about everything these days via the Internet.

Re: Swimming Pools - 08/12/11 01:39 PM

Incidentally, WB installed this in-ground swimming pool himself,
not long after we moved here. And we've been in this location
for over 25 years.
Posted by: Sandy N.

Re: Swimming Pools - 08/12/11 11:34 PM

WB sounds like a handy do-it-all guy! We had a pool when we lived in Miami and it got a lot of use. In that part of the world, people have huge screens enclosures over their pools to keep out leaves (and bugs!) At first, we maintained the pool ourselves but we eventually got a pool service. When we factored in the cost of chemicals, we decided it was worth it for us not to have to mess with it.

Re: Swimming Pools - 08/13/11 01:49 PM

Hi Sandy,
WB can do anything, fix anything, and he's really, really smart.
We go to Florida every March and I've noticed those screen
enclosures around all the in-ground pools. How is Washington State to live in? I've often wondered about that.

Re: Swimming Pools - 08/14/11 06:24 AM

I LOVE Washington state. The scenery is beautiful, the weather is mild, and I've made lots of good friends. The Seattle area is a Mecca for writers so there's lots of resources for my interest. Some people have trouble with the short dark days of winter, but I keep busy and that hasn't bothered me.

Re: Swimming Pools - 08/14/11 07:14 PM

Thanks Sandy. I've always wanted to know, having lived on the east side of the country all my life. Glad you're happy!!!
When I think of Washington State, I don't, however, think of
mild weather. That surprised me!

Re: Swimming Pools - 08/20/11 05:39 AM

Jabber, the weather west of the Cascade Mountains is mild. Eastern Washington has more temperature extremes. I think it's the Pacific current that keeps the Puget Sound area cooler in summer and not so freezing in winter. (Ooops. Sorry. It seems we've ventured away from the topic of swimming pools!

Re: Swimming Pools - 10/07/11 09:16 PM

I would love to be able to have an indoor swimming pool for use all year round. It's usually too cold even here in the desert for one outside.

Re: Swimming Pools - 10/08/11 12:00 AM

I'd like for my house to have one of those swim lanes, where you swim in place against a current. If I were to have one, I would build it into a four seasons room.

Re: Swimming Pools - 10/21/11 11:03 PM

Great idea, Anne!

Re: Swimming Pools - 01/24/12 01:18 AM

Being able to swim/exercise all year round Anne, would be wonderful and so healthy!

Re: Swimming Pools - 01/24/12 03:26 AM

Well there's no swim lane in my house in the foreseeable future, but I CAN get a pool membership at one of the local motels. I have friends who are doing that.

So good to see you "chatting" here again, Chatty!

Anne

Re: Swimming Pools - 01/24/12 02:49 PM

I agree. So good to read Chatty's posts once again! Prayers and blessing, Ms. Chatty!