Strange clothing...

Posted by: chatty lady

Strange clothing... - 09/10/11 12:21 AM

Has anyone noticed the commercials in magazines and on TV? The odd colored/fabric style clothes that look like Indian blankets or something similar in design. Really awful!
Posted by: jabber

Re: Strange clothing... - 09/10/11 11:10 PM

The new style looks a bit "bag lady ish" to me. It's out in the
ozone layer somewhere, IMHO!
Posted by: yonuh

Re: Strange clothing... - 09/11/11 12:11 AM

I haven't really noticed as I've been out in the ozone somewhere myself lately! LOL

Re: Strange clothing... - 09/11/11 04:02 PM

Methinks, lots of us hang out in the ozone layer! LOL....
Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

Re: Strange clothing... - 09/12/11 08:48 PM

Where can I see some of these strange clothes? I'm not sure I've been aware of them.

Re: Strange clothing... - 09/13/11 09:07 PM

I was just leafing through a Kohl's mini-catalog that came bundled in today's newspaper. The clothes on the front and first couple of pages were featuring their new line from Jennifer Lopez. They were all very classic, sort of 50's retro sleek. And in solid colors.

So I am still missing out on the strange clothes. Which is sad, since I studied clothing design in college, and love seeing the latest styles. "Boho chic" has usually been a look I've liked. Wanting to see if this stuff you are discussing falls into that category.

Re: Strange clothing... - 09/13/11 11:30 PM

Anne, When I C more of it, I'll let you know. I can't remember where I saw the stuff, but the leg warmers were striped and I think some sort of wool. They had layers of items on, which I like that layered look. The ad I saw was, as I said, "bag lady ish" but this is just in MHO of course. Is Boho and Hobo the same category? LOL...

Re: Strange clothing... - 09/14/11 01:07 AM

Jabber, Actually, apparently boho and hobo ARE in the the same general category. I looked up "boho chic" before I used the term, to make sure I was using it right.

Here's one wiki that explained it pretty well, Look Boho Chic

And here's the one that mentioned "hobo grunge" and an term they called "bobo," which I guess is short for "bohemian and "bourgeois" as well as the term "hippie chic": Boho chic defined

Not having seen them, I don't think I would like striped leg warmers made of wool, but I do sometimes enjoy wearing jersey tops and boiled wool jackets. And "that look" is part of what this article calls "retro hippie shabby chic." I dunno. I don't feel the old "hippie vibe" in those clothes -- I feel more "Lands' End preppie." But that's my own term!

Re: Strange clothing... - 09/14/11 11:36 AM

Anne,
I really love Lands End. Quality stuff, IMHO. I was going to come in here and delete my most recent post, thinking I may be too critical of what I viewed in that newspaper ad. Don't enjoy being negative. I'm thinking it's an era where everybody dresses down and that's cool!
Posted by: Ellemm

Re: Strange clothing... - 09/15/11 12:51 PM

I think one of the great things about recent years is that there is no one 'look.' We can all choose among classic, 50's retro, 60's hippie, far out, etc. Of course they're all trying to sell something that looks new, so women our age can quickly identify any of the trends as looking a bit like what we might have worn long ago.

Platform shoes? Did that in the 70's. Flared pants? Done. Mixing prints and stripes, not new. Most of this stuff is aimed at the younger crowd, of course. I wear a lot of Lands End and some Chico's and Talbots as well. I have had fun buying a few tanks with ruffles and pleats to update my look with the long cotton cardigans I like. Amazingly, one nice melony colored tank I just got exactly matches a Lands End cardigan I already have. I'd like to say I'm clever, but the truth is that it was just dumb luck.

I just hope they don't try to bring back shoulder pads and those awful frizzy perms!

Re: Strange clothing... - 09/15/11 06:26 PM

Here in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee, people are mostly wearing jeans and not getting very dressed up. It's a comfort zone, laid back and slow moving. A nice vacationing atmosphere!

Re: Strange clothing... - 09/16/11 04:26 PM

I had finally decided that the awful looks y'all were talking about were personified by the awful clothes I have been seeing lately on a Target commercial for a well-known designer, Missoni.

Every time I saw that commercial in the past few days, I practically found myself squinting over the awful zig zags.

So imagine my surprise when I read last night that Target has sold out all of these clothes in just one day -- except for some they were selling on eBay. and more than that, the sale crashed Target's website multiple times yesterday.

In case you can't believe this either, take a look at this article: Missoni Sale Crashes Target Website

Well, as someone who was once accepted to study at the Fashion Institute of Technology in NYC -- I guess I am going to have to start calling myself a "former fashionista."

Those zig zag looks are just plain ugly and I can't see myself incorporating them into my house or wardrobe in ANY way at all.

Re: Strange clothing... - 09/17/11 07:38 PM

Anne,
I have family in Italy but their fashions always seem to come over here in due time. And many times I do not like what they instigate, fashion wise I mean. Those overly long, wide sleeves were annoying to me. And Italian ideas are forever spilling into this country. That Missoni style is sickening, IMHO!

Re: Strange clothing... - 09/17/11 08:52 PM

Sadly, if Target sold out their Missoni inventory in one day, we are going to be exposed to a lot of people sporting this look.

The only help I can think of is, fashion is eternally changing. This too shall pass...
Posted by: Cookie

Re: Strange clothing... - 09/18/11 01:09 AM

I think those zig zag clothes are ugly too. sick Blah! I can't see myself in any of those clothes.....or anyone else with out getting cross-eyed or dizzy. laugh

Re: Strange clothing... - 09/18/11 10:55 PM

It amazes me, if you keep clothes you wore decades back,
they'll be in fashion again. I've recently seen suits like my mom
wore way back when! And Cookie, I agree! Even the word [ugly] is too mild for that zig-zagging jive!