Starting over

Posted by: copygal

Starting over - 06/09/10 03:19 PM

I'm so excited! I just moved into my new apartment! This is the first time I've ever been on my own, as I went straight from my parents to my husband, so this is exciting and scary at the same time. My daughter has moved to North Carolina, with her husband, who's in the army and stationed at Ft. Bragg. She's been with me since I lost my husband in 2004, so, as you can imagine, I miss her a lot. It's very quiet without her, but I'm adjusting and learning to enjoy the peace and quiet of being on my own. As a writer, I can appreciate it, and indeed need it for my work. Anyway, you Boomer Gals were my first online friends and I wanted to share this new start with you. Thanks for always being there.

Alanna aka Copygal
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Starting over - 06/09/10 03:22 PM

Copygal, I'm so glad to see you back here. Your presence is always delightful. You go girl on the apartment and your soloNESS. I think you'll find that living alone has its rewards, too.

Changes can be scary, but you are smart to look at all the good things. There are aplenty, as my granny used to say.

Welcome back, and enjoy your new home!
Posted by: Anno

Re: Starting over - 06/09/10 08:52 PM

Congratulations on the move, copygal. I like change, even though it can be difficult, it's fun to explore new territories.

What are you writing these days?

Re: Starting over - 06/09/10 09:18 PM

Hey Gals,
I'm sure I'll get the hang of this soloness, it's just all new and different. I was married a long time and got used to having my family under my feet 24/7. Now, it's all my space, shared with no one and it feels weird. Did my first grocery shopping just for me recently. I don't have to please anyone but myself-yay!

As for writing, right now I'm trying to bring in more work, to support myself. Besides article writing through a couple of online sites, I'm promoting my book-sold several copies, but I'd like to sell lots more, of course. I'm also letting people know that I'm available to do editing/proofreading. A bit more income will allow me the freedom to work on another personal project I have in mind, to be revealed soon.

Thanks for the encouragement Ladies!
Alanna aka Copygal
Posted by: Edelweiss2

Re: Starting over - 06/10/10 06:54 AM

copygal, welcome back. Sounds like you are excited and happy about your new independence. That's wonderful. I believe happiness reaps happiness, and I'm sure more will come your way!

I wish you lots of luck with your book. I can imagine this is a topic that will help so many.

I have a few questions: I saw that you are with Lulu. Are you satisfied with their services? Do you wish you self published instead? What were your reasons for choosing Lulu?

If you prefer to PM me on this, that's fine. I'm toying with the idea of self publishing, and am just at the start of gathering information and comparing the alternatives.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Starting over - 06/10/10 07:58 PM

Copygal, thanks so much for sharing your new adventure with us. I remember when I was on my own, alone for the very first time. I like you felt mixed emotions but oh wow, living alone is the greatest in so many ways. It did eons for my writing. I could come and go as I pleased, eat, sleep, soak in a tub, nap, write or read a good book whenever I chose to. I could also stay in my jammies all day and do nothing at all if that was my wish. Needless to say, you are going to love it... Oh almost forgot, with me there has to be something to talk to and hug so I have to have a small dog or cat to keep me company. If you look left in the margin of pictures, that Chihuahua is Sassy Girl my new friend and baby to love...
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Starting over - 06/11/10 02:33 PM

copygal, congrats on your total independence. You sound rather content. Hope you find lots of purposeful ways spend your time alone.

How are you staying in touch with your daughter? Do you Skype?

Re: Starting over - 06/12/10 09:53 PM

Hi Dotsie,
Thanks, I am content, though a little more work would be nice. I meet with my friends Monday & Wednesday for our crochet/knitting club and I'm a member of a church-based charity group, where we crochet/knit for those in need. And I have a couple of writer friends I hang out with now & then. And of course, I have you gals here at the Boomer site to chat with too. I'm blessed with wonderful friends.

My daughter & I talk on the phone, PM each other on facebook & she sends me a text each night, saying she loves me and goodnight. I miss her chatty ways, but we're both doing well in our separate lives.

Thanks for asking,
Alanna aka Copygal

Re: Starting over - 06/13/10 09:08 PM

Everything takes time, re adjustments aren't easy but can be rewarding when both you and she are happy in your own skins and have an active life each her own. I tried following you on your blog WIDOWHOOD IS NOT FUNNY but couldn't figure out how to.

Re: Starting over - 06/13/10 10:47 PM

Chatty,
Just went to blogspot to find out why you couldn't follow my blog. Long story short (I hope), because I started my blog several years ago, I have a classic template, rather than the newer layout with the option of the "follow" button. For now, you can sign on as a follower through the dashboard reading list. When I have some time, I may look at updating and going with the newer layout and add that darn little button. LOL! Hope this helps.
Alanna aka Copygal

Re: Starting over - 06/13/10 11:21 PM

Careful if you do. I THINK (notice I said THINK) that you lose your old post if you do that. You would have to save them, cut and past them as new blogs, which could be done. But what a pain.

I'm moving mine to WORD PRESS.

Re: Starting over - 06/13/10 11:51 PM

I changed to the new format with no problem of losing my old posts. But then, maybe I was just lucky??

Re: Starting over - 06/14/10 01:10 AM

How far back did they date? Mine go back to 2005-2006 and I believe it depends on how old your blog is/was.

Re: Starting over - 06/14/10 02:17 PM

I started mine in July 0f 2008. I had another blog (or two or three) that I did not do much with, and they did disappear.

Re: Starting over - 07/10/10 10:50 PM

I am having the time now to write my blog every Friday. I may write it more often occassionally when the need arises but so far once a week gives my followers a change to read it. I keep it pretty short and never write about the things that make me crazy or would probably scare away some gentler folks.

Re: Starting over - 07/13/10 12:57 AM

Left a comment on your latest blog today Anno my dear...

Re: Starting over - 07/13/10 02:33 PM

I headed over there next. Thanks Chatty!

Re: Starting over - 07/13/10 02:54 PM

Thanks, chatty. I hugged the old one and he sends love back. His lapghan is doing great - he loves it! He is not using it now, it's been warm to hot, but he uses it all winter.
Posted by: jabber

Re: Starting over - 07/24/10 10:28 PM

copygal,
Congratulations on your new style of living. Prayers and blessings!

Re: Starting over - 08/03/10 11:44 PM

It seems I have started over at age 26, then again at age 40, then again at age 50 and again at age 56. I am about to start over once more if I can sell this house. I seem to always be starting over...
Posted by: Edelweiss2

Re: Starting over - 08/04/10 07:52 PM

Chatty, I think I'm following your posts all over the place today.

I am where you are at, chatty. I'm seriously thinking of down sizing. It means starting over for us too. Just the thought is exhausting,..but I'm afraid the longer we wait, the harder it gets to move. So, although we love our house, we both know it's not ideal here for getting old. We would like to live closer to a city. It means moving from a house to an apartment. We both have a hard time dealing with that. But we also agree, that another house would be ridiculous, because it would mean moving again when we are too old to take care of a garden. So we'll see. I just hope that we have no regrets.

Re: Starting over - 08/04/10 08:11 PM

Have you thought about where you will move, chatty?

Re: Starting over - 08/04/10 11:34 PM

I woulod like to be somewhere where there is lots of water for fishing and sitting next to to write. I love the smell of the ocean but a lake would be okay too. I love small towns like maybe somewhere in Maine but then Portland has some small nice towns. Can you see how confused I am? All I need is money and off I'll go.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Starting over - 08/05/10 11:53 AM

We are not moving anytime soon, but I am downsizing by getting rid of items we no longer use, and it feels so good.

While two of the kids were here, I got their permission to get rid of all the VHS tapes/movies because we dont' have a VCR. That cleared out two entire shelves in one big closet. WOW. I gave one huge bag of all the Disney movies to a good friend who teaches kindergarten because they have antiquated equipment in her classroom and she was so psyched to get them.

I've gone through clothes and books over and over again getting rid of more each time. Ross went through ties yesterday and I went through accessories I never wear. Why was I keeping that stuff?

Anyway, when we decide to move, we'll have less to take with us.

Next, I'm going through all of our glasses and serving dishes. We've accululated too much.

Re: Starting over - 08/05/10 08:17 PM

I've done the downsizing thing too, in order to move into this smaller apartment. But I realized I had hung onto so many items from habit rather than real need. So, I got ruthless this time around and gave things away or threw them away. This is a new start and time to change, so I'm down to bare essentials. At this moment I don't even have a chair for my living room, but I'm working on that. What I do have in abundance is yarn. I may have changed a lot of old habits, but I refuse to give up crocheting; that would be like giving up breathing. In a way, the downsizing has brought about a sense of freedom. I've learned it's okay to change things about my life and do things differently, do things my way. Sometimes, change can be good.

Re: Starting over - 08/05/10 10:40 PM

Thats so funny copygal, I have all my precious crocheting yarns in a huge box. I could not even think of parting with a single skein unless I crocheted it into a lovely afghan for someone.