living alone

Posted by: Dotsie

living alone - 07/17/06 02:26 PM

I'm sure it's so hard to live alone after the death of your spouse. How are all of you coping with the single living arrangement? Have you considered finding a housemate?
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: living alone - 07/17/06 10:24 PM

House mates can be wonderful, good company and a help with expenses BUT investigaste them thoroughly because when you take on a housemate you also inherit all their kin and their problems. I suggest a short leaes to begin with say 6 months, that way you have recourse if you happen to get the "Housemate from Hell."
Posted by: copygal

Re: living alone - 07/25/06 08:04 PM

Good afternoon Ladies!
I was lucky that my daughter was still living at home when I lost my husband. I really did not want to be alone at that time. She told me she wasn't crazy about being alone then either, so we moved to a smaller place, but stayed together, for moral support and financial reasons.
She's engaged now and getting married in December of 2007 and I'm about ready to move out on my own. I feel stronger now emotionally, just need to start making enough money to be independent financially. It's going to be strange living alone. I've never been out on my own before. I went straight from my parents home into marriage. It's scary, but exciting too, in a way. I'm actually starting to look forward to being in my own place, just me, with no one to answer to about anything. Anyway, everyone has to handle this single living thing in their own way and in their own time, just like grieving.

Re: living alone - 07/25/06 10:33 PM

copygal, sounds like you've had the perfect situation...everything has been gradual, and now you are ready. I would be certain to make plans to get out with others for the first few weeks you are living alone. It may help break things up a little. I bet you're going to find youlove having the WHOLE place to yourself. You'll be able to come and go as you please. Will your daughter still be in the same town?
Posted by: copygal

Re: living alone - 07/26/06 12:31 AM

Dotsie-Oh yeah, she says she doesn't want to be too far away. And my son only lives 30 minutes away. I'm really fortunate to have my kids close. I'm very grateful. I know I'm going to love having the whole place to myself.

Re: living alone - 07/26/06 10:39 PM

Its actually nice when they come back to visit knowing that they are leaving to go back to their own space and leave you to yours...

Re: living alone - 07/27/06 03:20 PM

copy, you are blessed to ahve your kids in town. Boomer's kids are spread all over the country. That's why so many of us travel so often. Gotta see those grandkids.

Chatty, I am already looking forward to Thanksgiving break.

Re: living alone - 07/27/06 11:45 PM

Dotsie, I always look forward to the holidays, always have and probably aslways will. I keep hoping my youngest son will show up finally after nearly 12 years. I think that the reason I don't want to move, at least he could find me if he wanted to.