Qualifying to be a senior

Posted by: orchid

Qualifying to be a senior - 02/19/11 07:38 PM

Since I have a slight cold and tomorrow evening it will be cold since our high rise building will be have a new backup generator installed, there will be no heat, electricity in common areas, no hot water, no working elevators, nor reliable phone service nor Internet...I'm booking 1 hotel for the night.

I found out I qualified for a senior's discount hotel rate. Their definition was over 50. (I'm 52.)

Fine, I'm getting a discount but I have to say it took me by surprise when she asked how old I was. crazy
Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

Re: Qualifying to be a senior - 02/19/11 07:45 PM

Orchid, I know how you feel...the first time anyone gave me a senior discount I was unsure how to respond...

It was at a new restaurant in town: Steve and I checked it out with a friend, and when the checks came, they'd given me a senior discount -- and no one else at the table got one.

Now I admit to technically being the oldest one in the group -- but we are all in our 50's...

I was shocked, but then realized that I was about to go get new color in my hair, and I WAS the grayest one in the group.
So after pointing it out to everyone at the table -- and enjoying a laugh -- I decided to simply enjoy the fact that I got an unexpected discount on my meal.

Interestingly enough, this place hasn't given me the senior discount since -- and I sorta feel gypped!! I might even ask for it -- next time smile

Re: Qualifying to be a senior - 02/19/11 07:49 PM

And one last note, Orchid -- I'm glad you're spending the night in a hotel and staying warm. I find it very hard to sleep when I am cold.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Qualifying to be a senior - 02/19/11 08:27 PM

Yes, I must agree Orchid. The situation sounds like a dangerous one and the hotel makes perfect sense.

Anne one tnhing about being a senior is getting discounts. We have earned them and when none is offered I ask for mine. They add up after awhile.
Posted by: Louisa

Re: Qualifying to be a senior - 02/21/11 01:32 PM

I went to breakfast yesterday with my girlfriend and ordered the "senior French toast." LOL
Posted by: jabber

Re: Qualifying to be a senior - 02/22/11 01:46 PM

IMO there are only 2 benefits to getting older: no more monthly
enemies, they call friends; and the discounts. The first few
times, it is a shock.
Posted by: Ellemm

Re: Qualifying to be a senior - 02/22/11 07:52 PM

I actually hadn't stopped to think about senior discounts much before this, but I think it's a little odd that we get a break just because we are a few years older. I take up the same space and use the same resources in restaurants and theaters. I realize it's a marketing tool and of course seniors on fixed incomes can really use the break, but so could an a lot of other people. As it is, both the wealthy seniors and the poor ones get the same discounts.

I think there are plenty of benefits to getting older that don't involve money. One of the biggest is maturity: you learn not to sweat the small stuff, stop treating everything like it's a crisis, and learn to appreciate what you have for the day. You learn that the trends all cycle around. They come, they go, no need to invest too much in the latest fad.

And speaking of maturity, I'd rather seniors get treated with more respect and viewed as valuable resources because of our experience than get coupons because our hair is gray. But, of course we live in a youth culture. I'm sure we were just as dismissive of our elders when we were younger.

Re: Qualifying to be a senior - 02/23/11 04:51 PM

I agree getting older, learns a person not to sweat the small stuff; teaches us to appreciate each day; and finds us wishing we hadn't been so dismissive to elders, back in our younger days. But I do imagine every penny off, helps those on fixed incomes.
Posted by: Rose

Re: Qualifying to be a senior - 04/28/11 09:29 PM

Jabber, what is IMO?
Rose
Posted by: Rose

Re: Qualifying to be a senior - 04/28/11 09:31 PM

I call senior discounts "perks" and I love getting it!

Re: Qualifying to be a senior - 04/29/11 03:34 AM

Rose, IMO stands for "in my opinion." You may also sometimes see IMHO which is short for "in my humble opinion."

Re: Qualifying to be a senior - 04/29/11 01:15 PM

Rose,
Anne is right. It means [in my opinion]; never saw the H in there before. However, my opinion is certainly humble! LOL...
I didn't know what LOL meant either until someone told me.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Qualifying to be a senior - 04/30/11 02:05 AM

Some tweets and messages are so full of initals I haven't a clue what they're saying to me.
Posted by: RachdGrm

Re: Qualifying to be a senior - 07/19/11 01:03 AM

Okay ladies,

I will have to admit, it took me some time to really accept my "senior status" because it took me a long time to accept my "50-something" status. I am happy to age gracefully and embrace my years but at the same time, something inside me cringes when I am offered a "senior discount." I think it's because I look at my own mother as a "senior" how are we both seniors?!

I am a prideful woman who had refused to take a senior discount even though I qualified. Does this sound silly? Yes, I think so. With some time and some pride swallowing, I have learned that I am not defined by the term "senior." I love the word boomer but not so much senior. However, I am not above a discount:).

It all sounds trivial now that I have put this on to "paper" but I guess that's what forums are for-- to share these moments trivial or not. Hope I'm not the only one.
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: Qualifying to be a senior - 07/19/11 11:45 AM

50 somethings...have a way of becoming 60 somethings.

I am content with my age born 1946...so one of the Boomer firsts.
I have said before in this forum that I feel I have had my turn of many of the joys of life...and like the seasons...everything has its turn.

I do miss being as able due to arthritis...but have developed strategies..I have order in my home and accept help from my family with heavy tasks....My garden is my hobby and a friend is paid to do the heavy headges and tree work.This way I continue to grow flowers.He is a professional and I have gained from his knowledge.

I aim by using holistic care to do the best for my heath.Therfor in fact in many ways cope better than several friends.I seek out new challenges visit favourite places and have many visitors.

A comfortable home family and friends enjoying a good author and sharing a meal...I have everything I desire.

Re: Qualifying to be a senior - 07/19/11 12:16 PM

I haven't checked consistently for senior discounts, there are some at 55 but I'm not there yet.

However I am with someone who turned 69 and so have had discounts through him, ie. hotel, train fare, bus fare....companion prices are discounted sometimes by some firms.

Will answer this more later.

Re: Qualifying to be a senior - 07/19/11 04:48 PM

I've only received a senior discount once. Steve and I and a friend were eating at a new Chinese buffet restaurant. When they brought the bill, we had been charged for 2 adult meals and one senior meal.

I was a bit taken aback, as the youngest in our group had just turned 50 and I am the oldest, but still in my 50s...

We were shocked, but then figured "what the heck" one of us gets a cheaper meal! So we didn't complain. The consensus was that I was the senior, as I have the most gray in my hair.

The next time we went to this restaurant, they charged us for 3 adult meals. So my discount was short-lived.

Too bad!
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Qualifying to be a senior - 07/19/11 10:45 PM

My new coworkers call me ma'am and my butt seems to be numb a lot lately, does this qualify me for a senior discount?

Re: Qualifying to be a senior - 07/19/11 11:58 PM

I don't know about the numb butt, but I do feel old when I'm called "ma'am."

Here's a link to an article I will be posting in the next "Boomer Women's World," and it deals with this topic nicely: Boomers Say They're Not Old Yet. Enjoy!
Posted by: yonuh

Re: Qualifying to be a senior - 07/20/11 01:30 AM

I spent a good part of my adult life living in the South so got used to being called Ma'am by everyone. My sons' friends always called me "Mz Ruth", and that still makes my grin! I love finding discounts for being over whatever age they have the discount for; I think I've earned it!

Re: Qualifying to be a senior - 07/20/11 01:01 PM

The media says we're old; I've heard them call a person age 67,
elderly. I don't see that as eldly but the reporters do. What age sounds elderly to U???
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: Qualifying to be a senior - 07/20/11 01:07 PM

In UK many hotels and eating places have seniors portions and lower prices..much like a childs size meal but still from the adult menu...(No chicken nuggets!)This caused amusument when my husband first was offered it age 60...still working.However easily resolved...we swapped plates...I had less which helped my diet...
Many widowed persons eat out here...they have a well cooked meal the company of others and staff who treat them with great respect..Local hotels are well run and have good chefs...
Posted by: yonuh

Re: Qualifying to be a senior - 07/20/11 03:04 PM

Elderly to me is about 30 years older than I am!

Re: Qualifying to be a senior - 07/20/11 07:14 PM

I'm with you on that definition, Yonuh.

As for your comments on the smaller plates for seniors, Mountain Ash, I have started to see restaurants in the US offering what they call "small plates." Again, these are meals from the main menu, but in smaller portions.

I think this is brilliant marketing. They don't define them by age, so no one is embarrassed by potentially admitting to being "older."

But since most restaurants are guilty of serving HUGE portions, this is a way for those of us who want more reasonable portions to get what we want... After all, sometimes we don't want to take home a "doggie bag," and we don't want to be tempted to overeat.

It works for me, and I'd like to see more places adopt the idea.

Re: Qualifying to be a senior - 07/21/11 01:41 PM

Restaurants around these parts consider "seniors" age 55, some age 50. I enjoy smaller meal portions, too. And many businesses in WNY do serve less, charging less 4 smaller amounts. I've seen ladies' appetites decrease with age, men not so much. My dad could eat enough 4, 2 men. But he worked from sun-up until midnight most every day. And I agree, yonuh: elderly is 30 years older than I.
Posted by: greene

Re: Qualifying to be a senior - 07/22/11 01:32 PM

Being recognized as a seenior doesn't bother me. What does bother me is when they ask me about it but NEVER offer it to my husband! He is the same age but looks at least 10 years younger than I do. The biggest insult is when they bring the check to the table and hand it to me, as if I am his mother! Sure wish that man would start to show his age.

Re: Qualifying to be a senior - 07/22/11 01:51 PM

Hi greene!
I have a neighbor friend and she just turned age 52. A stranger in the city looked at me and said to her, "Is this your mother?"
My emotions took a dive. The rest of the day I wallowed around in
the emotional pits. Look at it this way: You must be a great wife, if hubby looks that much younger! Consider it a compliment and pat yourself on the back. I for 1, am extremely sensitive about my age, so I totally understand!

Re: Qualifying to be a senior - 07/24/11 09:10 PM

Originally Posted By: jabber
Hi greene!
I for 1, am extremely sensitive about my age, so I totally understand!

Would you have a problem jabber, telling the forum here what your age was? Great if you have already told us...

Re: Qualifying to be a senior - 07/27/11 01:25 PM

Who was it that said, "I'm old enough to know better but too
young to resist?" I love this. My hairdresser knows. And my
publisher knows. And other than that, I'm in denial. I will say
I'm older than you and younger than Chatty.

Re: Qualifying to be a senior - 07/28/11 01:32 PM

Depending of your definition of a baby boomer, I'm at the very
beginning!