Previous members just elsewhere, Facebook or what?

Posted by: orchid

Previous members just elsewhere, Facebook or what? - 12/12/11 12:13 PM

Would be interesting to know where some previous members here went..facebook or just off onto other areas of life.
Posted by: Di

Re: Previous members just elsewhere, Facebook or what? - 12/12/11 02:37 PM

My other (childless) website is low in visitation as well. I'm sure it's Facebook as I've "bought into it" too!

However, we did start an FB group there..and it's very active!
Posted by: jabber

Re: Previous members just elsewhere, Facebook or what? - 12/12/11 02:52 PM

orchid,
Chatty is busy filling Afghan Christmas orders. DeeBee, Agelika, Divine, Vicki and a few others are on FB. I guess the attraction there is adding pictures. Although they could just as easily
put pictures here, like Di does. I've attempted to get folks from FB to come back here. IMHO this site reaches a deeper level of discussion. Perhaps they'll return. Here's hoping!
Posted by: Di

Re: Previous members just elsewhere, Facebook or what? - 12/12/11 03:00 PM

And, not everyone is on FB. The NABBW FB site was not updated, or at least posted on, since August.
Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

Re: Previous members just elsewhere, Facebook or what? - 12/12/11 06:58 PM

Wow, Di, I was surprised to discover you are correct that there are no posts to the NABBW FaceBook page since August.

There used to be some kind of automatic posting feature set up, so that every time I posted a new post to the NABBW blog, it automatically showed up on the FB site. I was never able to figure out how it happened.

I'll be sure to add posting to that page to my assignments. However, Dotsie never gave me the admin password to the NABBW Facebook page, so EVERYTHING I post there shows up on the "everyone" page.

You can see there ARE more recent posts to the NABBW FB here: they're just not set up to appear on the front page...

Actually, due to this challenge, I have given some thought to how I might start a NEW NABBW FB page. Haven't figured it out yet!

Re: Previous members just elsewhere, Facebook or what? - 12/13/11 02:35 AM

I don't plan to be on FB. I'm sorry I work full time and look after/feed 3 blogs, plus guest write for 4th one.

None of my face to face friends nor family members are into swapping photos/going through FB. some of them have very young children. I share enough on my blogs and twitter is strictly for supporting dearie's business. That's all. I never use it for anything personal.

Since my sister died last year, my perceptions how I spend my free personal time, has become channelled iinto certain areas. I really focus on social media tools that allow more flexibility to say more if I wish with others. I still haven't met anyone face to face from here compared to the women's cycling group so I tend to be more reticent.
Posted by: DJ

Re: Previous members just elsewhere, Facebook or what? - 12/13/11 03:35 AM

Orchid -- I was in Vancouver last summer at a conference. Don't you live near there? Didn't have much free time -- spent most of it looking for food I could actually eat. Had lovely walks -- long ones. And now I forget the name of the big park near the water, but we went there too, on the bus. There was such a strong First Nation presence in that city.

Re: Previous members just elsewhere, Facebook or what? - 12/13/11 04:57 AM

Ah, DJ I moved to Calgary abour 1 yr. ago because I accepted a job offer after being unemployed over a yr. But VAncouver is still my 2nd home..I was there for 1 wk. at beginning of July.

Yes, you would have wandered in Stanely Park. Home is just several kms. away. I used cycle through that park daily to work for an employer. I did it early morning, sometimes in the dark and my partner would join me.

Yes, First Nations have a strong presence in their art, insitutions,..there are 3 native INdian reserves directly within the city areas.

So, so much has changed in past 12 months. Where we are, the city 120 kms. south of Banff National Park, Lake Louise and Rocky Mtns. There is a whole swath of thousands kms. going northwest into British Columbia, ..mountains, protected wilderness...

Alberta is quite different than B.C. It is Canada's strongest producer of oil and natural gas. It's Canada's Texas, in a milder way.

We will be spending a few days in Lake Louise area in the new year.

Cyclewrite blog gives some glimpses what I've seen in past year. (except for Europe).

I did visit tToronto in fall to see my family. Bits will appear next year about Toronto because I now realize that I experience great stuff when I lived/cycled.

Re: Previous members just elsewhere, Facebook or what? - 12/13/11 05:03 AM

At this time in life, I feel an underlying urge to share some unique experiences /things I've seen. This is why I'm digging through personal digital photos and piecing together the best memories and visuals for the world to share.

I can't explain it. There are have tragedies but I'm not convinced it's worth the pain of some other family members to open it up to the Internet full of strangers in a blog/FB.

I have some good close face to face friends to share stuff who have had their own family sadnesses/similar stuff. So its' just easier that way.

I like your blog DJ.

Re: Previous members just elsewhere, Facebook or what? - 12/28/11 12:07 AM

orchid,
WB & I went geocaching at Ridgeway and Port Colborne today.
That "Friendship Trail" is sweet. We enjoy Canada so much. It's such a pretty country!
Posted by: Sandpiper

Re: Previous members just elsewhere, Facebook or what? - 12/28/11 09:50 PM

I didn't know there was a NABBW FB page to go to. Sorry about that. I like FB but totally enjoy this space also. Sorry to have been absent for so long. Will try to be here more often.

Re: Previous members just elsewhere, Facebook or what? - 12/29/11 11:25 PM

I didn't know it either. Just learn this from your post. Thank you!