Lightbulbs

Posted by: Anonymous

Lightbulbs - 07/26/08 12:26 AM

Ok, considering energy efficient light bulbs on average can save about $30 over each bulbs lifetime, use about 75 percent less energy, can last up to 10X longer, yet cost more initially. Yet, considering the economy - why are there no coupons so folks can purchase energy efficient light bulbs which cost more at first, yet save money later?

I've not seen any, have ya'll?
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Lightbulbs - 07/26/08 12:32 AM

Oh, I've answered my own question! Here's some coupons, if ya'll come across others, please post!

http://print.coupons.com/Couponweb/Offers.aspx?pid=13726&nid=20&zid=vz75
Posted by: Dee

Re: Lightbulbs - 07/26/08 01:37 AM

MustangGal...we use the efficiency light bulbs...90% of our bulbs are those except for a few bulbs that I use for fragrance oils.
Thanks for the coupons.
Posted by: Anno

Re: Lightbulbs - 07/26/08 11:29 AM

We have made the switch, too. The best part? Not having to change lightbulbs every month.

Check out places like Home Depot - they often run specials.
Posted by: jabber

Re: Lightbulbs - 07/27/08 05:03 PM

Many of our lightbulbs are the energy saver type. I agree that they don't emit much light, however.
Posted by: savvygrandmother

Re: Lightbulbs - 07/27/08 05:37 PM

I love the energy efficent light bulbs. I've used them for the past few years. I've found them at Home Depot and Loews. Thanks for the tip on coupons.
Posted by: Sandpiper

Re: Lightbulbs - 07/27/08 08:32 PM

I'm considering using them throughout the home, however, I don't like the light they emit. It looks to be blueish. Don't care for it.

Also I read that if they get broken there is a certain chemical inside that is harmful and needs to be cleaned up with a certain type of cloth. So, I am still out on going to the new energy efficient types even though I want to.
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: Lightbulbs - 07/27/08 11:44 PM

when cfl's break, the room they break in has dangerous levels of mercury poisoning for months. People are advised to wear rubber gloves while picking up broken bulbs, and dispose of them in a hazardous waste facility, not with your regular trash.
Posted by: Cookie

Re: Lightbulbs - 07/28/08 10:58 AM

Sandpiper, if you get the "daylight" efficiency light bulbs version, they do not give off that bluish color.
Posted by: jabber

Re: Lightbulbs - 07/28/08 03:22 PM

Thanks for the heads-up. I didn't know about the breakage problem! Now I do.
Posted by: Sandpiper

Re: Lightbulbs - 07/28/08 03:54 PM

Thanks Cookie, I'll see if I can find them.
Posted by: judym

Re: Lightbulbs - 08/01/08 03:52 PM

Please do take a caution to those lightbulbs- the mercury in them and the disposal of them is something to consider. Are we just buying into a problem solution that will make more problems for the future? Incandescents aren't in any way a problem to dispose of, they just use a bit more energy. Actually, light bulbs are a very efficient use of electricity. I have turned most of mine over to CFLs, even the bug kind for the outdoor lights, but our community has a once a month collection for hazardous materials like paint, cleaners, and CFLS as well as the big florescent bulbs- I wonder how many folks have actually READ the disposal instructions the EPA puts on the packages. Plus you cannot use them in fixtures that have a dimmer feature. The technology will ramp up in time I figure and make them more affordable, and the time they last is cost efficient, but the mercury in them is totally something we do need to consider. God forbid any of them break, you practically have to call hazmat to dispose of them.
Posted by: Cookie

Re: Lightbulbs - 08/01/08 04:11 PM

That has always been my concern too, Judy. It is great to be more energy sufficient in our homes and business, but how are we to dispose of these mercury light bulbs when they are broken or burned out???? Everybody is jumping on the green wagon with out a long term plan, and not realizing more problems may be created.
Posted by: judym

Re: Lightbulbs - 08/01/08 07:51 PM

yes, I really worry about the mercury and improper disposal- shoot we have to worry about mercury in the fish we are supposed to dine on and so much of it is limited to consumption and the rest from overfishing! and thank you for your reply. I am thinking this (the CFL bulb thing) is the tip of an iceberg, and trying to gentle us into thinking in more conservative ways but am really alarmed at the mercury aspect. I hope your community has a hazardous waste disposal aspect too. Ours wont take a lot at curbside recycle, not glass go figure, but there are places to take your glass (of course they involve a good drive to get there!). We are custodians of this world we give our future generations, and it's time to be aware of it. We don't own it, we only RENT it! Thanks again for your response, hope it will get folks to thinking!