Bamboo...

Posted by: jabber

Bamboo... - 11/19/10 09:27 PM

There's a lot of talk about using bamboo as building material;
they say bamboo is good for the environment while it's growing.
Bamboo coutertops. Bamboo flooring. Bamboo sinks. Who knew?
We've been using CFL [compact fluorescent] lightbulbs
for a long time now.
Posted by: Eagle Heart

Re: Bamboo... - 11/19/10 11:10 PM

I've been wearing bamboo socks for well over a year now, and they're so soft and comfy that I can't go back to wearing anything else. Bamboo sheets are apparently amazingly soft, but we don't need any so haven't bought some to try them out.
Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

Re: Bamboo... - 11/19/10 11:13 PM

Hi Jabber,

I have seen bamboo used as a flooring product and it is beautiful. I was at my daughter's the other day and admired a wooden serving tray she was using and she told me IT was actually bamboo.

I did a search on Google and turned up a lot of info. Here is one link you might find useful: Green Home Building with Bamboo
Posted by: Di

Re: Bamboo... - 11/20/10 03:06 AM

Our bed pillows are bamboo. Got them a JCPenney a few years ago..they are soft and very, very nice!

Re: Bamboo... - 11/20/10 02:24 PM

Anne, thank you. Bamboo has so many uses. And the finished products have such a warm, wonderful feeling to 'em. What an
excellent discovery.

Re: Bamboo... - 11/21/10 02:47 PM

I just ordered some bamboo bath towels. I'll let you know if I'm happy with 'em.

Re: Bamboo... - 12/02/10 03:14 PM

Got the bamboo bath towels and they're awesome. And even when
you wash them, they soften the other items in the washload.
Cool. They're so soft!!!!

Re: Bamboo... - 12/02/10 07:45 PM

I need some new sheets, Di. How durable are the bamboo pillowcases?
Posted by: Dancing Dolphin

Re: Bamboo... - 12/03/10 12:28 AM

While the bamboo itself is a great organic and sustainable source of fiber for clothing and linens, the process to get it that way isn't so "natural". When I was selling wicking sleepwear, the manufacturer I worked with would not sell jammies made with bamboo because of the chemical process it has to go through to get there.

Here's a link with some info on the different ways bamboo is processed into your towels, linens and clothing:
http://organicclothing.blogs.com/my_weblog/2007/09/bamboo-facts-be.html

Now, though that sounds pretty bad in that article, who's to say the rest of our clothing and such isn't also run through chemical baths to get to the point where we love how it feels? I haven't researched that.

My kids and husband tease me about it, but I firmly believe that many of our health issues, and even other problems like autism and severe allergies, are related to all the chemical additives in our foods, our cookware, our plastics, our clothing, and even the very air we breathe.

I just don't know how you can escape it all, unless we join a nudist colony on a warm beach somewhere - - but then we'll have the oil spills to deal with!
Posted by: Di

Re: Bamboo... - 12/03/10 02:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Anne Holmes
I need some new sheets, Di. How durable are the bamboo pillowcases?

Well, I always put extra pillowcases on my pillows.....but the ones I've had are fine.

LOVE the pillows!
Posted by: Dancing Dolphin

Re: Bamboo... - 12/03/10 05:48 PM

Oh my goodness, I just re-read my post. Here you are all excited about your new bamboo items and I just came in, Miss Doom and Gloom! Sorry about that!!

Re: Bamboo... - 12/03/10 08:02 PM

My dad used to say, some 40 years ago, that the chemicals they're
putting into the food to give it a longer shelf life was harming
the public. That older generation were wise folks.

Re: Bamboo... - 12/04/10 01:53 PM

DD,
I read about the Bamboo manufacting process and that saddens me.
Too bad the mechanical process is so labor consuming and costly.
The towels are soft and I was glad to find them. It makes you
wonder how many other products are chuck full of chemicals.
Posted by: chatty lady

Recycling.. - 01/05/11 09:36 PM

My trash pick-up bill just went up again by $6.00 making it $39.00 for three months. That doesn't sound too bad until you realize we separate plastic from paper from glass, then from trash itself. The trash people sell our recycled stuff and make a nice piece of change and yet up, up, up go our bills.

Re: Recycling.. - 01/20/11 06:57 PM

Methinks the people getting rich are the chemical companies.
They put chemicals in everything it seems! Sorry about your
trash pick-up bill going up Chatty. My goodness has gasoline
every jumped lately. We'll have to get around in ultralights
pretty soon. LOL...

Re: Recycling.. - 01/21/11 01:34 PM

My SIL bought a mini couper auto. I like those smart cars but
they wouldn't work where I am. WB and I live in the snowbelt.
A car that small would stay stuck until spring, in the first snowbank it encounter.

Re: Recycling.. - 01/22/11 01:41 PM

Forget about going green: We're going as ice sculptures!

Re: Recycling.. - 01/22/11 08:58 PM

LOL! I am about to suit up as if I were going to spend the day skiing or snow-mobiling - so I can go down the hill to the mailbox!!

Re: Recycling.. - 01/23/11 09:38 PM

I hear you. That's what I do just to walk to the end of driveway
and back, 100 feet or so.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Recycling.. - 02/19/11 09:30 PM

That is so funny Anne, I can picture it. Use to do the same when living in Illinois, except many times my mailbox wasn't there, the snow plow had knocked it down.

Re: Recycling.. - 02/19/11 09:49 PM

You're right about that, Chatty.

During the recent snowstorms my mailbox got buried under an 8 foot snow pile created by the plows clearing the highway while my next door neighbor's mailbox got mowed down, as yours used to do.

For a week I had to drive to the PO to get my mail. Thanks goodness the snow is almost melted. I'm hoping we'll get a good rainstorm yet this weekend which will clear the last of the snow away. Though I am sure we're not yet done with winter...

I expect your Vegas weather is much nicer...

Re: Recycling.. - 04/06/11 02:16 PM

Vanna White had on a dress made out of bamboo last night. It was
really pretty and hung just right. I still like my bamboo
towels.

Re: Recycling.. - 04/06/11 05:55 PM

I missed that episode and Vanna's bamboo dress. I was channel flipping while making dinner and ended up watching a show I NEVER watch: "Dateline Hollywoood," or something like that. Couldn't believe I was watching - sort of a train wreck effect, I think. smile

Re: Recycling.. - 04/07/11 01:52 PM

It's amuzing what catches our eye. They keep interrupting the
game shows to super-sell something. But I never listen to what they're selling. If they take away Wheel of Fortune and/or Jeopardy, I look for something else light'n fluffy!

Re: Recycling.. - 04/07/11 10:19 PM

Oh, me too! I tape both shows to watch when I am sorting wash, cooking, etc. It keeps me interested, but not so much that i have to stop what I am doing to watch...

In fact, it's after 5 now, so I am going to go start working on dinner -- and see what happened on Jeopardy earlier today... smile

Re: Recycling.. - 04/08/11 01:12 PM

Cool. A person can learn a lot of trivia from Jeopardy.
Posted by: ruella

Re: Bamboo... - 05/23/11 08:21 AM

I have never heard of bamboo towels, socks,etc...Please upload pics to have a look at it...
Posted by: ruella

Re: Bamboo... - 05/23/11 08:27 AM

I have never heard of bamboo towels, socks,etc...Please upload pics to have a look at it...