Herman Cain...?

Posted by: jabber

Herman Cain...? - 10/14/11 01:48 PM

I'd like to know what you ladies think of Herman Cain and his
999 plan to turn the American economy around. This is just a personal survey for my own information. I first heard about the man from my SIL and her brother. Both of them were impressed by the man a few months ago before he became very well known. IMHO the problem with campaigns is, the candidates
sound good until they get into office. Then oftentimes ideas change and political pressures force them to do the opposite of what they promised during the campaign.
Posted by: yonuh

Re: Herman Cain...? - 10/14/11 02:40 PM

This is the same man who said anyone who is poor is poor through their own fault. Granted, there are those who are just lazy, but I think the great majority have lost their jobs through no fault of their own, and there aren't enough jobs for everyone who wants one, especially when many companies won't even consider someone who is currently unemployed.

From the analyses I've read, the 999 plan will actually raise taxes on those who can least afford it and will bring in less tax money than is now being brought in. I agree that the tax structure needs to change; it's too complicated with too many loopholes, but I don't think this plan is the one to do it.

Re: Herman Cain...? - 10/14/11 05:54 PM

Hi yonuh,
I saw that excerpt, blame nobody but yourself if your poor. I also believe the gov't blows money on overly inflated products and wacko grants. Reporters say this gent has little political experience. But then again look at decisions made by so-called political experts. I'm just surveying thought processes of others, right now. Thanks yonuh!
Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

Re: Herman Cain...? - 10/14/11 08:39 PM

Interesting information, ladies.

I didn't know anything about him prior to this discussion, though since I live close enough to Iowa to get their TV stations, I expect we will be starting to see -- that is be barraged with -- campaign commercials for all of the candidates soon enough.

This because Iowa is jockeying with a number of other states to continue to have the first primary, and as a result, I expect it will be held sometime in December.

Anyway, just checked in with my friend Google on this one, and found links to Cain's website and others. This is what Wikipedia has on him...

Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Herman Cain...? - 10/15/11 12:14 AM

I hope people really pay attention to Herman Cains messages, all of them because he is truly moving up fast from those who do. I promised myself NOT to be political on this forum again so I will just say this: At least the Democratcs can't blame him for racism if he does well against Obama, and is the Republicans candidate!
Posted by: lindasusan

Re: Herman Cain...? - 10/15/11 12:48 PM

Hi Chatty, He is making a good impression on people.

Re: Herman Cain...? - 10/15/11 01:26 PM

Chatty and lindasusan,
I agree Herman Cain is making a good impression and has moved up fast in the GOP standings.

Thanks Anne. That's an interesting read, that link!
Posted by: yonuh

Re: Herman Cain...? - 10/15/11 06:59 PM

Here is a site I found where you can compare where the GOP candidates stand on various issues:
http://2012.presidential-candidates.org/

Re: Herman Cain...? - 10/16/11 01:21 PM

Thanks yonuh. Some of those folks listed there, I never even heard of before. sleep confused
Posted by: Ellemm

Re: Herman Cain...? - 10/17/11 02:02 PM

I think the 999 plan is intriguing and worth of discussion, but there are a number of aspects to it that say -- to me, at least -- that this is nothing to jump into. For one thing, Cain actually supports the FairTax, which would eliminate all other taxes and would impose a sales tax of 30% on everything. For some reason, I assume because baby steps are easier than big steps, he wants to start with 999 and work his way toward the FairTax.

I found a link that didn't seem to be crazy so people might have a look:
http://www.freedomworks.org/blog/dean-clancy/herman-cains-999-plan-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugl

Re: Herman Cain...? - 10/17/11 03:56 PM

Thanks Ellemm! The statement, "the Fed's currently spend 40% more than they take in," is very scary. I doubt Cain will be nominated, because the voting public most likely wouldn't put a man in the Presidency that has no experience in foreign affairs or top level governing.

Re: Herman Cain...? - 10/17/11 05:58 PM

Hi Ellemm,

Am I correct that this 30% sales tax on everything would be ON TOP of any state and municipal taxes we are already paying?

If so, that would have some of us paying close to 50% tax on some purchases, which just blows my mind.

If that's the case, I'm sure Cain is starting with the 999 tax because it is less mind-blowing for the country's masses who are already struggling to make ends meet.

Anne

Re: Herman Cain...? - 10/18/11 01:36 PM

They say Cain is gaining momentum? Many people don't look below the surface on way too many issues. That's why the USA is in the mess we're in. God help us all!!!
Posted by: gims

Re: Herman Cain...? - 10/18/11 03:09 PM

My personal opinion: Cain is a plant. If he doesn't weaken the GOP system, he might just strengthen it.
I understand Perry's purse is growing exponentially, and Romney has a personal near-bottomless purse, so Cain will have to find substantial financial backing to make much further.
There is no way his 999 plan can solve our problem(s). The problem(s) we have created are too complex and to far reaching.
As for foreign affairs experience/knowledge - a great deal is subjective and beyond being understood by any ONE person. Our 'fearless' leader of today had no experience... he's operating in a learn as you go mode.

Re: Herman Cain...? - 10/19/11 01:28 PM

I know, gims, about Obama's lack of experience. That's why I said what I did. Just being funny!!! LOL...

Re: Herman Cain...? - 10/19/11 09:10 PM

No: as far as I understand it, the FairTax would eventually be the only tax collected. The 999 plan is one of several intermediate tax steps. The 999 plan would indeed collect taxes on top of the ones we already pay, including taxes from people whose incomes are too low to pay taxes now. But the FairTax would do away with the IRS. Of course, states would still be free to levy their own local taxes, I think. It's complicated.

Re: Herman Cain...? - 10/20/11 03:19 AM

Interesting Ellemm, but I can't imagine the states and local municipalities being willing to give up on the taxes they have been collecting -- even if they were somehow to be compensated. All those individual and hard-won "fiefdoms" would be endangered...

Hillary & Herman Cain...? - 10/21/11 10:59 PM

Did you gals see the excerpt from Hillary's tirade against Herman Cain? I thought she was smarter than that!

Here's the link 4 that 1:

http://www.abcnews.com/blogs/politics/2011

& Then in Hot Topics bar put [Hillary mocks Herman Cain]

Re: Hillary & Herman Cain...? - 10/22/11 08:17 PM

Hilary is a fool and still working with O'Bama so why be surprised at her ignorance?

Re: Hillary & Herman Cain...? - 10/22/11 08:34 PM

I don't think Hillary is a fool by any means. I expect she is smarter than Bill. But everyone says something stupid now and then. The problem with pols is that more people hear about it when it happens.

The only thing I don't like about Hillary right now is her hairstyle. But I'm trying to go easy on her with that regard. We're all made bad hairstyle decisions in our lives, no doubt. All we have to do is page through a family album to be reminded of that...

Re: Hillary & Herman Cain...? - 10/22/11 08:42 PM

OK, now I've read the exchange we are discussing: Hillary Clinton Mocks Herman Cain

I'd say Cain asked for it with that comment, which essentially says he doesn't consider some of the names of our Middle Eastern foreign leaders to be worth knowing. As Hillary was there, with these same foreign leaders, who were asking her "What's this all about," she gave a very deft political answer. It showed she knew how to handle the situation.

Should Cain become the Republican candidate, he will have to start learning these names. Right now, he's showing that - to date - it hasn't been anything that has mattered to him in his current life.

Re: Hillary & Herman Cain...? - 10/22/11 10:07 PM

And right U R. At first glance, she appears to be sluffing him off as a zero. But look again, and Cain is sluffing off world leaders. So I guess U R right! He asked 4 it!

Re: Hillary & Herman Cain...? - 10/24/11 09:04 PM

Does anyone know these foreign leaders name or even how to pronounce them? I don't! Hilary has to know them, it's her job!!!

Re: Hillary & Herman Cain...? - 10/24/11 10:11 PM

Chatty, I agree that Hilary has to know the names. but as I said in my prior post on this topic, Cain will have to learn them if he becomes the Republican candidate.

And in my opinion, making fun of them, as he is quoted as doing in that article, smacks of parochialism. That sort of a narrow outlook is not something he'll be able to get away with as a head of state.

IMHO, he needs to look and act more presidential, if he wants to win the candidacy.
Posted by: gims

Re: Hillary & Herman Cain...? - 10/26/11 03:37 AM

Ditto that, Anne.
This doesn't some much pertain Cain and/or H.Clinton as it does the character make-up of a President (or even candidate).

Re: Hillary & Herman Cain...? - 10/26/11 02:14 PM

I can't figure out how this Herman Cain guy is climbing in the polls when his campaign manager publishes ads while smoking a cigarette and very few people agree with Cain's 999 proposal????

Re: Hillary & Herman Cain...? - 10/26/11 02:41 PM

Wow! I just saw that ad. Like a piece of strange theater, isn't it? Maybe it was a little *too* creative. I'm like you: people have a right to smoke, of course, but I'd never think it would look attractive to voters. We are long, long past the days where smoking looked like a common activity.

Oh well, it's interesting!