And now the healing powers of... mustard

Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

And now the healing powers of... mustard - 05/17/11 10:57 PM

Elsewhere we have been talking about the health benefits of honey. so when I saw this, I knew I had to add it to the arsenal: Mustard can heal burns.

I saw it here Burn Relief from Mustard though I confess I haven't had a reason to try it myself...
Posted by: yonuh

Re: And now the healing powers of... mustard - 05/18/11 01:06 AM

Remember mustard plasters??

Re: And now the healing powers of... mustard - 05/18/11 03:41 AM

Mustard plasters - I read of them in books, but never knew anyone who got one. Wasn't the purpose to create heat to draw out a fever?
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: And now the healing powers of... mustard - 05/18/11 02:00 PM

Can I add Epsom salts to the holistic helps.

Epsom salts—made of the mineral magnesium sulfate—are also a sedative for the nervous system.
When magnesium sulfate is absorbed through the skin, such as in a bath, it draws toxins from the body, sedates the nervous system, reduces swelling, relaxes muscles, is a natural emollient, exfoliator, and much more.
Relaxing and sedative bath: Soak in warm water and 2 cups of Epsom salt.

Foot soak:
Soothe aches, remove odors and soften rough skin with a foot soak. Add 1/2 cup of Epsom salt to a large pan of warm water. Soak feet for as long as it feels right. Rinse and dry..
Soak sprains and bruises: Epsom salt will reduce the swelling of sprains and bruises. Add 2 cups epsom salt to a warm bath, and soak.

Splinter remover: Soak in epsom salt, it will draw out the splinter.

Re: And now the healing powers of... mustard - 05/18/11 05:21 PM

Hi Mountain Ash,

Thanks for mentioning Epsom salts. I am a fan of Epsom salt baths. I use Dr. Teal's "Relax" Epsom Salt Soaking Solution, which gives the added benefit of a bit of aromatherapy.

Almost every night, I end my day with a relaxing soak, followed by massaging on Di's Shea Butter. I sleep really well afterward, and highly recommend it.

Re: And now the healing powers of... mustard - 05/18/11 05:28 PM

Here's a website that talks about how to use mustard plasters. Natural Remedies: Mustard Plaster

Seems that they have to be used properly and carefully.
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: And now the healing powers of... mustard - 05/18/11 06:47 PM

I have lavendar and epsom salts bath goodies from Jan de Vries..apart from the benefits my bathroom has a beautiful scent..
I suppose all natural remedies have to be used with care just because they are familar does not mean they wont be harmful to certain people or in certain quantity be too much to cope with.
Posted by: yonuh

Re: And now the healing powers of... mustard - 05/18/11 07:23 PM

Speaking of natural stuff, this is a link to an article in my local newspaper today. It's humorous but there are a couple of things that really work:

http://azstarnet.com/lifestyles/food-and-cooking/article_eba8c927-bb41-5fff-8a84-4839bc93f50e.html

Re: And now the healing powers of... mustard - 05/18/11 11:11 PM

Fun! Thanks for sharing! I'd heard of a few of those suggestions, but not peanut butter for shaving or coffee grounds in the hair... LOL!
Posted by: Di

Re: And now the healing powers of... mustard - 05/19/11 04:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Anne Holmes
Hi Mountain Ash,

Thanks for mentioning Epsom salts. I am a fan of Epsom salt baths. I use Dr. Teal's "Relax" Epsom Salt Soaking Solution, which gives the added benefit of a bit of aromatherapy.

Almost every night, I end my day with a relaxing soak, followed by massaging on Di's Shea Butter. I sleep really well afterward, and highly recommend it.

Anne...remember you can put the Shea Butter IN the tub WITH your Epsom Salt. The salt dries your skin....and the Shea Butter will counteract that....plus permeate your entire body...even your hair!
Posted by: jabber

Re: And now the healing powers of... mustard - 05/26/11 01:44 PM

Good to know about yellow mustard remedies! Hadn't heard this before. Dr. Oz had a program about Epsom salt the other day.

Re: And now the healing powers of... mustard - 05/26/11 07:42 PM

Sorry I missed Dr. Oz. I'd love to know what else epsom salts can do.
Posted by: jabber

Re: And now the healing powers of... mustard - 05/27/11 01:54 PM

I only saw an excerpt of what he was doing. But he had epsom salts and lemon juice and was using it as a facial scrub, around someone's mouth? That's all I saw.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: And now the healing powers of... mustard - 07/28/11 12:13 AM

He has one of the best shows on TV with things of interest to ALL women...

Re: And now the healing powers of... mustard - 08/11/11 07:33 PM

He also has a websitre at www.DrOz.com with really good info for women.

Re: And now the healing powers of... mustard - 11/08/11 10:53 PM

Some healing recipes on Dr. Oz's website. Take a peek!

Re: And now the healing powers of... mustard - 11/08/11 11:05 PM

Here's the link to Dr. Oz website: Dr. Oz Website

Apparently if you don't spell out "doctor" you end up at some weird web developer site... Dr. Oz's organization needs to work on their domain name acquisitions...
Posted by: lindasusan

Re: And now the healing powers of... mustard - 11/10/11 09:55 AM

I thought I had read it all. I just went to the Dr. Oz site; very interesting about yellow mustard, although I have heard of our need for Vitamin K. We're never too young to learn more; it's wonderful to share. Thank you.

Re: And now the healing powers of... mustard - 03/09/12 10:26 PM

I just found these links and they are really something great to discover...Thanks lindasusan!