Asthma

Posted by: Vicki M. Taylor

Asthma - 12/18/03 05:01 AM

After my most recent bout with Bronchitis and Pneumonia, I ended up with Asthma. I've never had it before.. and I'm 42 yrs old. It's such a strange sensation, almost like being claustrophobic.

Anyone else have asthma late in life? How are you dealing iwth it?

I have an albutorol inhaler for as needed and I take an inhalable steroid, Advair every day.

Peace!
Posted by: DJ

Re: Asthma - 12/18/03 03:05 PM

Yeah, I've been dealing with it too. I was diagnosed at 40. They call it allergic asthma because external substances trigger it. Before I was diagnosed I ended up in the ER a couple of times.
I have the same meds as you -- I used just albuterol until they came out with Advair a couple of years ago.
Asthma is scary, especially when I forgot to take along the inhaler. I suffocate. I hate it. In fact I hate it so much that I looked for ways to get rid of it, and have had some pretty good success. My husband has had similar success -- he's had asthma since childhood. In the past couple of years I've found ways to minimize it -- I'm completely off the Advair and hardly ever use the inhaler. I've done this with diet, believe it or not.
Posted by: Vicki M. Taylor

Re: Asthma - 12/24/03 05:42 AM

DJ, you've been able to reduce your time w/the inhaler and you're off Advair? All with diet? Please tell me how.

I got asthma from having bronchitis and pneumonia. It really compromised my breathing. Very scary.... it really makes you stop and think that we take "breathing" for granted. It is just something we do.. but man! Is it ever scary when you can't.

I'd love to hear how you overcame it.