November is National Caregivers Month

Posted by: LGood67334

November is National Caregivers Month - 11/17/09 07:50 PM

Did you know that November is National Caregivers Month? Whether you are a caregiver for a spouse, parent, child, special needs child, or yourself, I'd love to know what are you doing to carve out some time and honor yourself.

B. Lynn Goodwin
www.writeradvice.com
Author of You Want Me to Do WHAT? Journaling for Caregivers
Posted by: Anno

Re: November is National Caregivers Month - 11/20/09 11:10 PM

I am a care-giver for my husband, who has a rare disorder that progresses quickly. I am also a part time carer for my mother - whe has alzhiemer's, but she lives in an assisted living apartment close by me.

I don't do enough to take care of myself. But I do make sure that I have a few hours to myself each week to do as I please. I am taking Fridays off from work this year to run errands and have a few hours to myself. Today, after a doctor visit with Mother, I had lunch with a girlfriend and played with her cats.

The biggest thing I do for myself, is spend money to pay for care givers to take care of Dennis, allowing myself to maintain my job. On Thanksgiving, I will pay one of the gals to come and get Dennis ready so I can cook a good Thanksgiving meal.

It has been hard for me to ask for help, but I have learned that by sharing my story openly, help comes to me in many forms. I get tons of emotional support from friends far and near - many from here.
Posted by: Anno

Re: November is National Caregivers Month - 11/21/09 11:00 PM

great points, Anne.

Yes, I am going to cook the meal by myself. When someone is here to answer to all of Dennis' needs, I find cooking theraputic - the chopping, the mixing....

Now if I had to take care of Dennis at the same time, I would be insane by the time company arrived!!

I feel so lucky that we are able to afford to have help come in for Dennis.

Re: November is National Caregivers Month - 12/03/09 08:49 PM

Anne,

It sounds like you did some wonderful honoring here. I am so sorry the current job does not honor you in the same way.

Lynn
www.writeradvice.com

Re: November is National Caregivers Month - 12/03/09 08:53 PM

Anno,

I am so glad you take a bit of time for yourself on Fridays. I hope your husband and you had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

If you were to finish the sentence start "Today I feel..." what would you say?

Lynn
www.writeradvice.com
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: November is National Caregivers Month - 12/03/09 08:54 PM

Anno, I hope you don't take offense by this because none is intended, but this reminds me of when I was a stay-at-home-mom. I could accomplish anything if someone watched the kids.

Re: November is National Caregivers Month - 12/03/09 08:55 PM

Anne 327 and Anno,

I am so glad you found each other here. Great support.

Lynn