"Let Your Life Speak" Book!

Posted by: Dotsie

"Let Your Life Speak" Book! - 03/01/05 11:07 PM

Let Your Life Speak: Listening for the Voice of Vocation, by Parker J. Palmer is a wonderful book to read if you are considering changes at midlife. It's also a great book that may affirm some of your vocational choices.

Palmer believes all of us are born with gifts that lead us to our blessed vocation only when we take the time to be still and uncover those gifts.

Often people race through life doing what they think everyone else wants them to do, or taking the next step/opportunity thrown at them.

Our vocation becomes centered with who we are at the core when we tap into our God given gifts and use them for His glory . One of the reasons this rarely happens is due to the rat race. Poeple never take time to be still, reflect, and dig deep within.

Great book! Humble man.
Posted by: unique

Re: "Let Your Life Speak" Book! - 03/02/05 02:49 AM

Oh yes, Dotsie. One of my favorite sayings is, "Life intrudes."
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: "Let Your Life Speak" Book! - 03/03/05 09:26 PM

I wish we all lived in the same neighborhood so we could swap books.
Posted by: Princess Lenora

Re: "Let Your Life Speak" Book! - 03/04/05 02:00 AM

I always struggled with my purpose in life, my reason for being. I am reading "The Purpose Driven Life" by Rick Warren. In the second chapter, the question is: what areas am I struggling to accept? Although I was told over and over that I had a talent for writing AND to "write what you know" it wasn't until my 40's that I put the two together to write Beyond the Tears. After all, what I knew was about child abuse and domestic violence. I denied that was what God would want from me: to write about stigmatized subjects. I wasted many years doing what I thought was expected of me, and/or wishing for something else. Didn't God have something more glamorous for me to do? Couldn't I be a celebrity/actress? How come I'm not Jennifer Anniston? I'm so hard headed. It took all this while to realize that I am living on purpose, and doing work that God needs done on this earth: to bring awareness to those topics. Is God going to ask me at the gates if I was famous? Or if I surrended to his will, and did the work HE expected of me. I wish we could operate a lending library for Boomers! Love and Light, Lynn
Posted by: Julie

Re: "Let Your Life Speak" Book! - 03/04/05 04:21 PM

...a lending library for boomers...

that's NOT such a crazy idea. Postal loans would work. Email requests made from a common list of books we own that we are willing to lend. Borrower to meet the postage cost and replace anything lost. Libraries do it all the time.

If I weren't on a different continent...!
Posted by: Princess Lenora

Re: "Let Your Life Speak" Book! - 03/04/05 09:24 PM

Oh my gosh, a Boomer in Australia. Wow, we are global! Do we have any librarians in the house? LLL
Posted by: angelsmuse

Re: "Let Your Life Speak" Book! - 03/04/05 09:53 PM

Hmm a boomer women lending library sounds like a plan. We may have to look into this before my husband shuts of my funds.

Angel