The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 68 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#108077 - 02/18/07 04:40 PM Women's magazines-your likes-chick, non-chick
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I was in a major Chinese supermarket in CHinatown yesterday. It's truly amazing to see Chinese versions of Elle, Vogue... THese versions have their own articles, Asian models, etc. ANd reflect fashion-pop culture somewhere else.

More magazine -I do buy occasionally
Health, Hersport, Yoga Fitness, Marie Claire, Town & Country occasionally Vogue --I seldom buy but browse at magazine display
Glamour, Elle, Cosmopolitan --strangely I never look at anymore. ANd haven't for past few years. I get abit tired of the onslaught of same article themes.

It is nice that there are all kinds of magazines to meet niche needs of women and men.

Non-fashion magazines for browsing:
a cycling magazine
Beautiful British Columbia, Explore (Canadian) --these are travel magazines with abit of history, etc.
Harvard Business Review -on management trends, etc.

#108078 - 02/18/07 04:53 PM Re: Women's magazines-your likes-chick, non-chick [Re: orchid]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Orchid, I agree...the topics seemed burnt out in those ladies magazines. It's more fun to chat here, and exchange personal ideas and stories.

I love reading Bellevue. That's a worldwide real-estate magazine. I read Time magazine every week, and occasionally my mother's Reader's Digest (but I wouldn't buy it).

Has anyone ever subscribed to Oprah's magazine? I was thinking of getting a subscription, but it's pretty expensive, and I wonder if it's worth it.

I love getting interior decorating magazines...but I don't have much left to decorate.

#108079 - 02/18/07 04:54 PM Re: Women's magazines-your likes-chick, non-chick [Re: orchid]
Anonymous
Unregistered

My favorite mag subscriptions are More and Cottage Living. Also, I subscribe to Horse Illustrated, yet may change to Trail Blazer which is catered to my lifestyle. Occassionally I'll purchase a gardening magazine or Town & Country.

#108080 - 02/19/07 12:24 AM Re: Women's magazines-your likes-chick, non-chick [Re: ]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Loc: Sanford, Florida
I have subscriptions to Self and Shape magazines, but only because I got free subscriptions due to frequent flyer miles, and they were the only ones available that I had any interest in. Had a subscription to Allure magazine, for the same reason.......but it ran out,and I'm not going to renew it. Somehow I ended up with a free subscription to Prevention, too.
I subscribe to Cooking Light and really enjoy it. I also get Quick Cooking and Light & Tasty magazines....love trying new recipes from them.
Do you keep your magazines when you've read an issue, or do you pass them on? I pass them along to my best friend......she likes the Cooking Light magazines and passes the issues of Self and Shape on to her daughter. I keep the Quick Cooking and Light & Tasty magazines, but am beginning to think about getting rid of some of the older issues........especially these days when if I want to search for a recipe, I ususally come to the internet.
I've found myself looking at Real Simple magazine when I'm in line at the grocery store.....but haven't talked myself into subscribing......yet!

#108081 - 02/19/07 02:39 AM Re: Women's magazines-your likes-chick, non-chick [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Every time I go on a trip, I pick up 3 or 4 magazines at the airport, read them on the plane and pass them on to someone else. Whenever I have actually subscribed to them, I find them repetitive and dull and always let the subscriptions run out.

I do like to pick up InStyle at the airport, and have tried O, but found it way over priced. I like Budget Travel once in a while and find Self and Shape fun to read too.

I have tried Time and Newsweek but the articles seem to have little depth anymore.

Can't think of too many magazines I like enough to subscribe anymore.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#108082 - 02/19/07 05:41 AM Re: Women's magazines-your likes-chick, non-chick [Re: orchid]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I forgot to mention food/cooking mags. I do occasionally buy Cooking Light. But right now, a family member bought me a subscription to Bon Appetite as a gift...so better hold off any more cooking mags.

Cooking Light has had some great recipes..and Bon Appetite has lightened up on their recipes (abit) in terms of cream, etc.

In fact some of the home dinner menus that I mentioned on this forum (my Birthday, Valentine's), are recipes from those mags.

I used to peruse interior decorating mags...but alas, right now, we don't have enought rm. to do much different anymore. Some of the foreign interior design mags. are cool and reflect some cultural differences in style and trends.

If I peruse a fashion magazine nowadays, then give me a mag. dominated by innovative fashion instead of fluff articles and too much advertising.

#108083 - 02/19/07 07:47 AM Re: Women's magazines-your likes-chick, non-chick [Re: orchid]
diamond50 Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
I subscribe to a variety...More, Lucky, Glamour and In Style.
Also to Islands, Conde Nast, Time, National Geo. At the store
I'll pick up the other beauty magazines and Oprah.
Smithsonian is another one I enjoy reading.

Orchid, when we are in Asia I always pick up their
versions of magazines sold in the USA; pretty neat huh!

#108084 - 02/19/07 08:41 AM Re: Women's magazines-your likes-chick, non-chick [Re: diamond50]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Can anyone tell me if there is any difference between Oprah's magazine and any other beauty magazines? Is it better? I can't buy it here...only can get an on-line subscription, so I'm not able to check it out myself.

#108085 - 02/19/07 12:23 PM Re: Women's magazines-your likes-chick, non-chick [Re: Edelweiss]
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Sorry Hannalore, I've never even browsed through Oprah's magazine.
I subscribe to Writer's Digest, The Writer, Poet's and Writers, and Vanity Fair.
Oh, and Hallmark but that one won't be resubscribed to. It's okay. It's just not my cup of tea. I got it because it was new and they offered me a discount.
When I'm interested in whats on the cover, I buy Martha Stewarts's magazine. I love that one and should probably subscribe.
I always look through the cooking magazines while waiting to check out and will buy the ones that contain interesting recipes.
I used to get Real Simple and I enjoyed it but I have too many magazines hanging around already.
I wish they weren't so heavy so we could send our copies to each other.

#108086 - 02/19/07 05:05 PM Re: Women's magazines-your likes-chick, non-chick [Re: TVC15]
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
I like Oprah's Magazine better than the others because it's a little deepeer. I subscribed for 1 year, but even Oprah can only do so much self improvement, sex, relationship and fashion articles. I just subscribed to More.

laurapoplin.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved