The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 104 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#122417 - 06/29/07 11:15 PM This is SO funny! You all must read this...
medtype1 Offline

Loc: Illinois
Story posted under Celebrating Physical Changes by Marilynn Mobley. I was giggling out loud at her humour and I know we will all relate to this one! Thanks Marilynn.

https://www.amazon.com/Silent-Longing-Donna-Jeannine-Heatherly/dp/1979372063/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1538404248&sr=8-1&keywords=silent+longing

#122418 - 06/30/07 07:14 PM Re: This is SO funny! You all must read this... [Re: medtype1]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Here it is for those who can't find it. D.J., glad to hear you were browsing Our Voices. I love that section of this site. SO many good stories I can relate to.

"You're So Vain"...Celebrating Physical Changes - Even if the swimsuit doesn't fit, the lesson is worth trying on

Marilynn Mobley is a 50-year old resident of metro Atlanta, where she is Senior Vice President of Edelman, the world's largest independent PR firm. She got married 25 years and 25 pounds ago to Ralph Mobley. Together, they have two college-age daughters, a dog and a cat. She is an author and professional speaker who helps companies understand the Boomer mindset. When no one is looking, she sneaks chocolate and Nilla wafers, then writes on her blog, www.BabyBoomerInsights.com.

Even if the swimsuit doesn't fit, the lesson is worth trying on

I hate catalogs and magazines that feature women's swimsuits and I sure wish someone would quit leaving them in my mailbox. I can't get away from them.

Ironically, the one I dread the most isn't even addressed to me. It's the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition, featuring extraordinarily beautiful women posed in all kinds of unnatural positions while showing a variety of cloth dental floss custom made for their bodies. No other woman on earth can wear these swimsuits. This must make the models very sad. I can't help but notice that they're all pouting.

Each intrusive publication advertises swimsuits that, if you hurry, can arrive within the week. For just less than the cost of a monthly car payment, women all over the world can order swimsuits that promise to hide "problem areas" and reshape their bodies into those of goddesses. "Unbelievably flexible!" screams one ad. "Dries twice as fast as an ordinary suit!" declares another.

My personal favorite is the "Tan Thru® Suit that makes it possible to wear a one-piece swimsuit, yet still get tan all over as if you tanned nude. Apparently, the Italians have discovered a way to create swimwear that humans can't see through, but the sun can. Clearly, they're trying to make up for the fact that their delectable dishes are partially responsible for the fact that I hate swimsuits. No matter. I don't intend to order a swimsuit from any catalog, despite the attractive promises.

For me, shopping for a swimsuit is a once-a-decade activity that involves spending an entire day at the mall. I always start at a large department store, usually searching the racks for black or navy suits because I became convinced years ago that those are slimming colors. I stretch, moan and curse as I pull each one on and off, wondering how it's possible that I wear one size in pants, but three sizes larger in a swimsuit.

The three-way mirrors make it easy to reject each suit as unflattering. Like most women, I always turn around and look to see if my butt looks too big. It always does. I'm not sure why this matters, since few people will ever actually see it. I wear a large shirt or some type of cover-up over my suit when I'm not in the water. And when I'm out of the water, I usually am sitting in a lounge chair.

Every time I try on swimsuits I admonish myself for being the fattest, most out-of-shape person at the mall and I swear I'll lose at least 30 pounds before I actually buy a new swimsuit. Then I leave the dressing area and head straight to the cookie kiosk for a chocolate covered double-fudge delight and a Diet Coke® while I ponder where else to shop for a beautiful suit of microfiber that will simultaneously slim my thighs, hide my stomach and make my breasts look perky.

One day, while trying on swimsuits in a department dressing room store, I was staring at myself in the mirror when suddenly a little blonde haired girl about three years old popped her head under the door. I don't know who was more startled, but I just said, "Hi there!" and smiled. She pulled the rest of her body into the dressing room, stood up and said, "You look pretty."

I don't know what possessed me to respond the way I did, but I looked down at her and said, "Which one would you pick - the black one or the blue one?"

"Blue!" she screamed.

I was wearing the blue one.

About that time, her mother began yelling her name. "Kaitlin! Where are you? You get in here right now!"

And as quickly as she appeared, she disappeared.

Within moments I purchased the blue one, based solely on the approval of a pint sized stranger.

It was the only swimsuit I wore that summer. My daughters told me they liked it. My husband didn't ask if I planned to return it, so I figured he at least found it tolerable. Every time I put that swimsuit on, I smiled at the thought of Kaitlin telling me she liked it. She has no idea that her little opinion would have such a big influence.

Maybe some day when she is in her late forties - or older - and feeling fat and insecure, some little girl will appear to tell her that she's fine just the way she is. We all need Kaitlins - not just in our dressing rooms, but in our psyches and hearts ... because she's right ... we're fine just the way we are.

#122419 - 07/01/07 04:09 PM Re: This is SO funny! You all must read this...
Emyjay Offline

Dotsie,

Thank you for posting such a delightful story! ( I can just picture that little girl crawling under the door of your dressing room.)

My swimsuit history is as follows:

Through the years, I've digressed from a two-piece, to a one piece, to a "tankini," and now, well last year I had to resort to a "swim dress."

At Sears, I found a Land's End design that I thought looked pretty good. And it did, in fact, flatter me as much as any suit could . . . until I got into the water.

I'd walk gracefully down the stairs and into the water at the YMCA pool. As I did so, my skirt would begin to balloon up and then out until it spread out all around me!

I spent every swim session standing in the pool, turning in circles in an attempt to catch the material so that I could wedge it between my legs!

If I tried to swim, my husband says it looked like I was wearing a "train!"

So, tomorrow, I'm going to attempt to find a swimdress that I can control while in the water. Wish me luck, boomers!

Emily in Maryland

#122420 - 07/01/07 04:21 PM Re: This is SO funny! You all must read this... [Re: Emyjay]
gerrbeck Offline

Loc: Jacksonville, FL
I think we're all probably in agreement on one thing...
WE HATE SWIMSUIT SHOPPING! I just recently did it and it left me depressed the rest of the day. However, that and a recent trip to the beach has been the final push to get me motivated to walk again.
Gerrbeck

#122421 - 07/01/07 04:22 PM Re: This is SO funny! You all must read this... [Re: Emyjay]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Emy, I didn't write that. That was a contest winner for a BWS writing contest.

I can picture your suit. I've seen them in the Land's End catalogs. I had no idea they did that. I guess you have to go for a shorter swim dress.

#122422 - 07/02/07 03:09 PM Re: This is SO funny! You all must read this...
Laurel Offline

Loc: Oklahoma, USA
What an adorable story. We all need a Kaitlin in our dressing room. Does she hire out?

#122423 - 08/03/07 05:56 AM Re: This is SO funny! You all must read this... [Re: Laurel]
ShesPassionate Offline

How funny! Oh, if we could only clone Kaitlin!
Marilyn is a fabulous writer.

medtype1:
I'm D.J. Hall, too! I took a double-take when I saw the post!

#122424 - 01/22/08 09:35 PM Re: This is SO funny! You all must read this... [Re: ShesPassionate]
humlan Offline

Loc: Sweden
I just read the swimsuit article!!! I hope there´s a Katlin wandering around here too...what a wonderfully funny story filled with warmth and love for the "human" in us..in me.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved